Author Topic: SPORE - *The off topic thread - not a place for spam *  (Read 77366 times)

Offline PineappleTheHun

• Mystery House Madman
  • Explodablicious!
    • View Profile
Re: SPORE
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2005, 11:26:26 am »
I hope it's online AND singleplayer. You can play online, or opt out if you find it too rough.

Online, it could incorporate a system where you could not annihilate a planet/civilization unless you have already made contact and they have responed in a hostile manner, or if they have technology at least equal to your own..
Quote from: Borogove
I try to think of what mother nature would have done if she suffered major brain damage.
Quote from: Gaming Steve
You are wrong.
Quote from: Legodragonxp
Starship Troopers 2 had only two things worth seeing, but she died early on

Offline Pestlett

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2005, 11:37:30 am »
I hope it's online AND singleplayer. You can play online, or opt out if you find it too rough.

Online, it could incorporate a system where you could not annihilate a planet/civilization unless you have already made contact and they have responed in a hostile manner, or if they have technology at least equal to your own..
It would be good if it was online as well, but if you needed another player's 'species' to be hostile before your hostile. Won't that mean that you need to be hostile before they are hostile? Then you will have a lot of people saying it's not very realistic if you can't choose to attack/enslave another player's species. It would be better if they left that choice to the individual players. They could make it fairer by making it harder to find species that aren't advanced. (i.e Species that don't have any radio siginals won't be detectable and you'ld only come across them if you where exploring a system that appeared empty). Will Wright mentioned War of the Worlds so if he was to make it online (which I doubt, at least for this release or title anyway) he would want some space faring species to attack species who have radio signals etc....
 Anyway that's my view, what's everyone else think about it being an online game, and how would you picture it to be?

Offline Zefrid

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2005, 11:45:33 am »
I don't mean to burst anyones bubble but I read on this one website that the release date was leaked and it was between 18 months to 2 years because it was still being made. Now it would be super cool if they were still making it because the game already looks AWESOME! But it would still super suck if we had to wait that long.  I will try and find that site.
Got Gaming Steve forum membership?

Offline PineappleTheHun

• Mystery House Madman
  • Explodablicious!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2005, 11:50:05 am »
you have a point.

It's a good plan, though- the whole radiowave-detection thing. Perhaps, you could not even chat with players that you haven't made contact with, and you wouldn't be able to contact players that weren't at least tribes.
It would be neat if a player could enslave other, less advanced civilisations, but outright destroying planets would give them 'bad karma' that would lessen their creatures' morale, organization, and strength etc, making them much more vulnerable to attack, and possibly rebellion by the tribes that they have enslaved. If tribals could work together to overthrow a city on their planet, perhaps they could try to sneak in and take over the city, as it would be impossible to annihilate it.

It sounds impossible, but so does Spore. :)

*continues fantasising*
Quote from: Borogove
I try to think of what mother nature would have done if she suffered major brain damage.
Quote from: Gaming Steve
You are wrong.
Quote from: Legodragonxp
Starship Troopers 2 had only two things worth seeing, but she died early on

Offline Clayface

• Jungle Hunter
  • user #9
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2005, 09:40:42 pm »
18 MONTHS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i cant wait that lonmg, must have it now, NOW !!!!!!!!

Offline Eagle13

• Brain Games Mastermind
  • Reality is an artificial construct
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2005, 09:45:19 pm »
yes 18 months is a long time, but then we wated for Half-Life 2 for a long time as well, yet people still wated for it to come out, albeit with some anger/anticipation.

What I like most about this game is its possible effects on our thoughts about evolution as a whole. Though this game is designed as an entertainment game, it could have realy use for evolunatary study. If you realy think about it, we could study how, if done correctly, how humanity evolved or what would of happened if there were diffrent conditions on the planet as we escaped the primoridal soup. 
We create reality, reality does not create us. Thus is the question, if we stop beleving in reality, then what are our limitations on pursuing our dreams?

Offline Mika Ears

• Lunar Lander Leader
  • Masterharper, Planeswalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2005, 10:05:17 pm »
For some reason I'm not trusting the mysterious leaked release date.

Offline Clayface

• Jungle Hunter
  • user #9
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2005, 10:19:20 pm »
me either, by the way, Eagle13 i like your avatar, thats what i want my creature to look like

Offline Jayce

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2005, 11:00:04 pm »
With regards to the release date, although it's best to wait until you hear it officially it is quite releastic for it to be 2 years away. Take Star Wars Galaxies for example, they had a working ground and space demo some 3-4 years at E3 before they released the game. The big dofference though here is that Spore relies on complex calcualtions to create player content whereas in SWG the content was added by the devs so in essence all that has to be finished in Spore is the tools which from the demo seemed to be well on the way.

Offline Mika Ears

• Lunar Lander Leader
  • Masterharper, Planeswalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2005, 07:51:58 am »
I'm going to say that another 12 months from the GDC is realistic. Not two years. They're going to lose a lot of the initial excitement if they wait two years.

Offline craigp

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
    • Perkwiki
« Reply #40 on: March 18, 2005, 08:00:04 am »
so in essence all that has to be finished in Spore is the tools which from the demo seemed to be well on the way.
The problem is balancing and gameplay. They have to find some way to make 5+ games fun, all in the same universe. They have to keep one type of creature or approach from being the 'best'. These are extremely difficult problems. Given the length of time they've been working on this game, and the skill of those involved, they've probably already been solved... but it's not just a matter of slapping together a neat tool kit.

-Craig

Offline Jayce

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2005, 09:52:18 am »
so in essence all that has to be finished in Spore is the tools which from the demo seemed to be well on the way.
The problem is balancing and gameplay. They have to find some way to make 5+ games fun, all in the same universe. They have to keep one type of creature or approach from being the 'best'. These are extremely difficult problems. Given the length of time they've been working on this game, and the skill of those involved, they've probably already been solved... but it's not just a matter of slapping together a neat tool kit.

-Craig

I am hoping that by now they realise that no matter how they do it there will always be someone who finds the best combination and uses that to their advantage. I don't think it really matters in this type of game as it's single player (with optional downloadable content) so the best spore ever created will still only be sitting on the creators machine and those that choose to download it.

In addition it's hard in this type of game to decide what denotes best. The most powerful, intelligent, fastest, smallest...etc, which one is it or a combinartion of all of them? Lots of options for discussion at the moment but we will have to speculate until we hear more at E3  :'(

Offline Clayface

• Jungle Hunter
  • user #9
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 18, 2005, 03:35:45 pm »
cant wait for E3  :'(

Offline Clayface

• Jungle Hunter
  • user #9
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 18, 2005, 11:41:27 pm »
spp this page is pretty much dead isnt it, people should talk on here more

Offline Mr.Heat

• Video Pinball Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 18, 2005, 11:52:30 pm »
Download?! ???

I don't think the admin should allow pirate talking here..

Heat