Author Topic: New Sonic game revealed!  (Read 13354 times)

Offline smurfslayer

• Centipede Crackerjack
    • View Profile
New Sonic game revealed!
« on: March 23, 2008, 08:43:01 pm »
I give you Sonic Unleashed: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrD-g4Oj7IE

Next to nothing is known about it but from the video it appears to play primarily on a 2D plane and seems to have a huge emphasis on speed. Could this be the game that Sonic fans have been waiting for?

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
Re: New Sonic game revealed!
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2008, 08:47:04 pm »
This is the Sonic game fans have wanted as much as the last Sonic game was the game fans had wanted.

I want it to be good, I really do, but I firmly believe that the folks over at Sonic Team have been replaced with cardboard cutouts.

Offline smurfslayer

• Centipede Crackerjack
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2008, 08:49:07 pm »
I know, I know, but the fact that it plays on a 2D plane (and pretty much all the 2D games have been good, or at the very least better than the 3D games) and they seem to be keeping the emphasis on speed, means to me that it has potential to be a good game.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2008, 08:56:51 pm »
If they think making it on a two dimensional plane is what will turn a crappy game into a good game they have another thing coming to them.

There was much more to the original Sonic games than what this video displayed. Yes it is a new video and I am sure that they released it for the sole reason of showing people that it is like the old games; but until I see something that makes this game like one of the older Sonic games I would honestly not be surprised if their final product was a game in which you held the right directional button down and jumped every now and again.

In a perfect world future trailers will show power ups, bonus levels, cool bosses, music that isn't crappy, and some quasi-futuristic/mechanized environments that do not look like real places. That was one thing that was really annoying, they suddenly got this idea that Sonic games would be better if they were set in a world with people and all sorts of stuff like that and that nobody would notice the talking hedgehog. Keep it simple guys, Sonic, his crappy friends, the flickies, and Dr. Robotnik is all we need.

That's just my rant about how I am annoyed with Sonic. I still have some hope for this game and want it to be good and it is very early for me to have a real opinion about it. :)

Offline smurfslayer

• Centipede Crackerjack
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2008, 09:00:52 pm »
Also, I want to play freaking Tails and Knuckles in regular levels, not ones that involve searching for emeralds or using crappy mechs.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2008, 09:04:36 pm »
I'm glad we are in agreement then. :D

Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles are the only heroes we need. Dr. Robotnik and Metal Sonic need to come back properly. Sonic has to promise not to bring along some crappy human girlfriend that will make everyone feel all weird and uncomfortable. Amy is optional, can be killed off if need be.

Chaos Emeralds are supposed to be hidden, not stored in the museum or lost in some sewer. Also we need to see Hyper Sonic come back and a new take on The Doomsday Zone... that level was freaking sweet.

Offline smurfslayer

• Centipede Crackerjack
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2008, 09:10:41 pm »
That would be awesome. Not going to happen though. This game will likely involve Amy, Silver, Shadow, other random characters and several other new annoying people. Voice acting will suck. Story will be overly dramatic. Levels will be too fast and linear. Let's hope I'm wrong though.

Also, I wonder if this is a sequel to Sonic and the Secret Rings, because the setting looked very similar.

Offline WinterSnowblind

• BurgerTime Chef
  • Exitus Acta Probat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2008, 04:58:45 am »
Sonic, Tails and Knuckles are the only known playable characters, which is good but it doesn't rule out the possibility of more.  There's also a mechanic which allows Sonic to turn into a werewolf, presumably the other characters can do something similar too, which doesn't sound too good.

I like the 2D perspective, but in my opinion the speed in the Sonic games hasn't been the problem. The 360 game had graphics at least on par with this and moved pretty darn fast as well, as did Sonic Heroes and Sonic Rush.  What made the original games good is that they actually had some amount of platforming and exploration, where as Sonic Rush involves holding right, and hoping you don't fall down a pit of death.  The last good Sonic game was Sonic Adventure 1/DX

I'm surprised to see so many people won over by pretty graphics and -decent looking- gameplay, the same things were said about Sonic 360, it looks great, it's going to fix Sonic, etc, etc, and it turned out to quite possibly be the worst game on the system.  True, if they do continue to constantly make Sonic games they have to eventually make a good one, but even if this turns out to be pretty good, I'm still not going to be interested.  They really need to just leave Sonic dead for a while, maybe he can earn some of his respect back if they release a good game in a couple of years.

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2008, 06:25:07 am »
Hey, Sonic and the Secret Rings was pretty fun. Besides, WS, I have no idea where you're getting your info - there aren't actually any confirmed characters or features or anything, just the video and some unconfirmed screenshots over at Kotaku. So stop making things up.

Edit: And, hey, I actually like the background music in this video. I just hope they stick with a faceless japanese composer with a guitar, rather than bringing in a rubbish band.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 06:31:05 am by /lurk »
Not a winner anymore.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2008, 07:05:22 am »
A mechanic which allows Sonic to turn into a werewolf.

Unbelievable. Is there something wrong with their brains? A hedgehog that turns into a wolf? What are they doing, just picking ideas out of a hat? Yeah, they must be, because thats the only thing that explains the total lack of a coherant theme or setting in any of the recent sonic games.

Sonic... Laundry... Mexico... Gary Coleman.
Ladies and gentlemen, I give you "Sonic Adventure: Oh god, they just don't give up!"
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Hizzah

• Bezerk Brawler
  • http://www.pbfcomics.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2008, 09:27:34 am »
Sonic Team hasn't been able to successfully reinvent blue hedgehog since 3D-Blast, and now they're going back to rehashing those same three or four games from the 'glory days.' It's pathetic. Can you imagine the industry if Sega had beat out Nintendo way back when?

Speaking of which, the only way Sonic is ever going to be a successful franchise is if Nintendo buys it and takes over on development.

Offline WinterSnowblind

• BurgerTime Chef
  • Exitus Acta Probat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2008, 02:29:07 pm »
there aren't actually any confirmed characters or features or anything, just the video and some unconfirmed screenshots over at Kotaku. So stop making things up.

Sega originally had these pictures up on a website, hence how these images were leaked.  Originally there were also pictures of Knuckles and Tails, very clearly playable, but they were very quickly removed.   :)  I'm sure they're still out there, somewhere.

And from the Sega magazine.  "You'll be able to traverse the game's 12 stages as Knuckles, Tails or the eponymous hedgehog, who has picked up the ability to transform into Wolf"

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/03/23/sega-confirms-sonic-unleashed-after-video-and-screenshot-leaks/

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2008, 02:37:39 pm »
"You'll be able to traverse the game's 12 stages as Knuckles, Tails or the eponymous hedgehog, who has picked up the ability to transform into Wolf"

And so it begins...

Offline Ultramarine

• Bungeling Bay Raider
  • Whatever.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2008, 02:41:41 pm »
"You'll be able to traverse the game's 12 stages as Knuckles, Tails or the eponymous hedgehog, who has picked up the ability to transform into Wolf"

And so it begins...

Guess that's why they called it Sonic Unleashed :P
A new direction for Sonic...I never thought werewolf though.
Kid: Oh wow I'm being deflowered by a grown woman!
Mother: By the way I'm your mother
Kid: OH GOD NO

EDIT: That's where it becomes rape if you were wondering.

ヽ(`∇)人(∇`)人(`∇)ノ   (゚д゚; )

Offline Pinstar

• Ultima Lord
  • Your friendly neighborhood Teralyte
    • View Profile
    • The Legacy Challenge
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2008, 02:43:20 pm »
12 stages? Sounds like an AA meeting... probibly just as fun as one too.
Creator of the Legacy Challenge

Visit my spore page!
http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Pinstar
Ratings and comments on all my creatures are always welcome!

Visit my Minicity
http://pinstar.myminicity.com