Author Topic: "Spore will fail" says gameplayer.com  (Read 29686 times)

Offline eropS

• Out Run Speedster
  • That's right, I went there
    • View Profile
Re: "Spore will fail" says gameplayer.com
« Reply #45 on: March 20, 2008, 09:13:04 pm »
Wait... dude... thats the best seeling games of February 08.... not all time...

How about you check the heading?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2008, 09:22:25 pm by eropS »
No, no, he did. In the everything else section, at least. Officially, this makes him king.

Offline rifteroftime

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 20, 2008, 09:52:35 pm »
According to wikipedia...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_video_games#PC

The Sims sold 50 million copies of just the game, with another 70 million copies of expansions.
The Sims 2 sold 13 million copies to date, but has also sold 100 million copies of expansions.

Not sure how reliable that info is though... probably in the ballpark.

Offline eropS

• Out Run Speedster
  • That's right, I went there
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 20, 2008, 09:56:08 pm »
Actually, its now 50 million in expansions for Sims 2.

Its not that reliable...
No, no, he did. In the everything else section, at least. Officially, this makes him king.

Offline jd82

• Breakout Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 20, 2008, 10:07:14 pm »
  Hi, I think I saw on this forum fable mentioned before.  I way overhyped the game in my mind about how awesome it was going to be.  They cut out alot of junk and it was not like how I was hoping.  I think alot of people are doing this with spore the same way alot of people hyped up Fable.  The game was still fun but I felt dissapointed i guess.  Spore can be a failure but I doubt it. we will all likely be spending 90% of our time creating things over and over and not playing the game all that much.  Spore may not outsell the sims or sims 2 but I will do very well.

Offline Petike

• Stargate Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 21, 2008, 01:15:29 am »
Actually they made so many ep.s and advertisement because it was a huge success on its own, Neither Maxis believe in it, nor EA, only Will Wright. But the fact of its existence was enough to make it a huge success.

And The Sims 1 sold more copies than The Sims 2. 

Well I don't know where you got that information that the Sims outsold the Sims 2 because this link doesn't even have the Sims in its top ten most selling games but has several of the expansion packs of the Sims on there. http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/37436/Best-Selling-U-S-PC-Games-Of-February *Note that it is only for U.S.

And I am not saying the Sims wasn't a hit, I was just saying the word needs to get out by example for a game to do extremely well. I beleive that Spore will probably do better than the first Sims, but it probably will not be in the top ten, but the first expansion might kill all of the charts.
This is only a best-seller list of February 2008, of course now The Sims 2 is more popular, because it looks better, and they don't make Sims 1 ep.s anymore.  :)

But I remember, The Sims 2 was sold with a tag on the box saying "sequel to the best selling PC game of all times".
Quote from: MasterChiToes in "Spore was dumbed down"
Maybe the Sporons are the ones that got dumbed down?  ;D

Offline econundrum

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 21, 2008, 05:25:17 am »
I honestly don't believe Spore will tank. I understand what the article is trying to say, I just think time will prove them very wrong indeed. Yes I think it's a bit of a shock jock sort of article designed to get a lot of people to hit their site and in away if they do get a lot of hits because of this article it kind of suggests their wrong. Because it would mean their is a lot of interest from gamers.

However yes, the obvious point they make is that doing some thing radically different is risky. Well yes it is, but it's that sort of risk averse thinking that is at the root of so many second, third and fourth rate, unoriginal FPS games, e.g. lets churn out endless formula FPS because we know they sell.

Of course if no one in the games industry ever took genre breaking risks we would all still be playing pac-man and space invaders.

So yes they're right, Spore could tank, but it could also be very, very, very successful.

Can I just add now I've finished the article that saying Spore is not as well known to main stream audiences as The Sims at the moment is a reason it will fail is a really stupid argument. EA have not even started a main stream advertising run for Spore yet of course no one who doesn't read the gaming press has heard of it, is the author of the article thick? That's why I expect EA to start a big marketing campaign a month or so before spore comes  out in main stream media.So far it's only being marketed in the gaming press but EA know that's no way to get the main stream audience.

As for the complexity of spore and it not having a single central mechanic, well actually if you've read the gaming press articles you know that they've gone to great lengths to keepthe interface as consistent as possible between stages and make it as accessable as possible to. I think people will be able to cope some how and of course Spore  also allows you just to have fun building things or just to have fun playing the stage you like so if you don't like all the stages you can still enjoy the ones you do like.

Ultimately I think what this guy is underestimating is how much people like making things, and what a thrill people will get out of seeing their own creations bought to life, particularly people who don't have great artistic and or technical skills and so wouldn't normally get the chance. I honestly think that people will be really shocked how much of a success Spore will be, kind of like with WoW which even took Blizzard by suprise.

I know many people disagree with me but I think Spore has very, very wide appeal both to hardcore gamers, mainstream gamers, and even a fair number of people who don't play games now. So long as EA run a good mainstream media campaign just before release that is it should be the great new franchise they're hoping for.

Time will tell who's right.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 05:42:40 am by econundrum »
"The direct use of force is such a poor solution to any problem, it is generally employed only by small children and large nations."

David Friedman.

http://www.spore.com/view/profile/econundrum

Offline Ultimatum

• SunDog Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 21, 2008, 09:00:52 am »
Time to tell whos Wright

Fixed for you.

Offline Mae

• Moon Patroller
  • NOOO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 21, 2008, 09:12:53 am »
Time to tell whos Wright

Fixed for you.

Winner.

The spore fan base would be small at first, until, by word of mouth, the popularity spreads until it reaches the popularity of other Maxis games.

Offline Tr0n

• Dragster Diehard
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 21, 2008, 10:29:16 am »
My prediction is that it will start small, like The Sims.  I remember seeing the game come out way back when and asking myself "who will play this for very long?"  But it happened to hit the cord that is common amongst many, many people... building alter-ego's.  People could create THEMSELVES.  They could also create who they wanted to be.  This is an undeniable aspect of the Sims series.  They are more than just life simulations, this is YOU.  This is why it resounded so heavily in the mainstream and even some of us hardcore gamers snuck into our rooms and tried to make our Sims succeed.  And, let's face it, many of our girlfriends/wives wouldn't have touched a PC if it weren't for The Sims.

It is an example of the perfect gameplay mechanic.  I found it a bit monotonous, but it was addictive on a personal level.  We owe a lot to The Sims for bringing such a simple and mundane gameplay factor to bear against the millions and millions of casual gamers (some of which subsequently turned to hardcore gamers).

Spore, on the other hand, will probably not be as impactful as The Sims, but it will have a more immediate following.  The question is, can it deliver?  We don't know that yet.  Right now, it seems highly accessible.  If a girl wants to sit down and just create species of animals, she can do so.  If the hardcore gamers wants to go from cell to galactic God, he can do so.  If the relaxation-based gamer wants to take a trip around the local cluster in search of new creatures, he can do so.  The gamble here is just as the article pointed out... there's really no one gameplay element, no relatable overarching goal.  Discovering the Solar System in Spore has nothing to do with how much money you'll have when you get your next promotion.  And it's going to be up to the freshness factor of Spore to take these quasi-gamers raised on The Sims and introduce them to varied, unrelated gameplay and let them run with it.

WW is banking on two factors here.  He's mentioned this many times in his talks.  He noticed that playing the Sims was different than creating in The Sims.  Many people (women/children included) loved to make new Sims, houses, assets.  But The Sims lacked the ability to effectively SHARE those assets.  WW is predicting that the creative side of Spore (90 percent of the gameplay instead of a supplemental add in) will capture the minds of Sims players.  He's also hoping to keep them there by building in ways to easily access the content of other people.  He saw the community around The Sims, not the success of the game itself, and is running with the elements to boost the social aspect of the game and make it easier to do so.

Again, the question remains... does Spore have the power to hold gamers until the point where they have created a few creatures and encountered a few more (and actually realize it).  I feel that some will be overwhelmed by the potential complexity of the game and I pray that the game will be as seamless as possible between phases.  I was initially opposed to the "choose a stage" option, but they were smart to do this.  Many women/children could care less about the tribal/city/civ stages of the game and would focus exclusively on the Create/Space phases. 

If the components match up right, Spore will be a creative Swiss Army Knife.  Everyone will find something to immerse themselves in while putting in minimal administrative effort to customize the content in their games.  The Massive Single Player paradigm is going to work very well for the introverted and the non-competitive (again, most women/children). 

It may be cartooney and light-hearted, but I think this is an evolution of past experience.  Count the number of people who played SimCity compared the SimEarth and those who played SimAnt to SimLife.  I'm hoping, however, that there will be the ability to alter some of the gameplay to make it more cutthroat or more realistic (I could care less about the cartooney nature... I like Viva Pinata, so).  I also hope there is more and varied drive introduced into the space phase so those explorers (which many will wind up being) will not run out of new things to do.

Long story short, Spore will start out with a bigger bang than The Sims, but it's in the air exactly if an uncontrollable reaction will be initiated.  We'll see in about 6 months.
Hey love crusader, I want to be your space invader
For you I will descend the deepest moon crater
I is more stronger than Darth Vapour
Obey me, I is your new dictator

Offline Skyward

• Ballblazer Plasmorb
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 21, 2008, 02:12:02 pm »
well...spore wont fail for me ;D
Hell, Skyward Descent is pure win!
Quote from: Captain
I kill you in the name of DELICIOUS!

Offline xnodas

• Frogger Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 22, 2008, 02:36:17 pm »
oh well i'm retarded, just pretend I said nothing about the Sims and used the example of the Halo series.
"Tell me what you cherish most...give me the pleasure of taking it away." Final Fatasy VII: Advent Children

Offline Lange

• Boot Hill Bandit
    • View Profile
    • Min danske Spore side
« Reply #56 on: March 26, 2008, 07:42:50 am »
It is a shame that Will made Spore look so cute.
No matter what i will help Will and buy the game, no piracy for me about this one.
In time (if the game is good enough, which it should be) it will sell, because more casual gamers will hear about it.
But at the moment i have not met anyone with the least knowledge of Spore.
I believe it was the same deal with The Sims.
I am optimistic.
www.spore.frac.dk - min danske Spore side

Offline Bona Fide Supraman

• Star Raider
  • Not Super, Supra
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 26, 2008, 04:45:59 pm »
No matter what i will help Will and buy the game, no piracy for me about this one.
In time (if the game is good enough, which it should be) it will sell, because more casual gamers will hear about it.
I am optimistic.

Yeh because Will needs all the help he can get, being a multi millionaire and all. *rolls eyes*

Obviously I am going to buy it, but yeh.
Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarves are not happy.

Offline Lange

• Boot Hill Bandit
    • View Profile
    • Min danske Spore side
« Reply #58 on: March 27, 2008, 03:41:58 pm »
I am optimistic.

Yeh because Will needs all the help he can get, being a multi millionaire and all. *rolls eyes*

Yeah well, you do not get it. Im rolling my eyes of you too.
Help you, help me, help you, help Will, if Spore rocks, i would like to see a "Spore II", and if no one buys Spore, no Spore II will come. Maybe you knew this already, but did not sound like that.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 03:47:57 pm by Lange »

Offline Lange

• Boot Hill Bandit
    • View Profile
    • Min danske Spore side
« Reply #59 on: March 27, 2008, 03:46:32 pm »
I am optimistic.

Yeah well, you do not get it. Im rolling my eyes of you too.
Help you, help me, help you, help Will, if Spore rocks, i would like to see a "Spore II", and if no one buys Spore, no Spore II will come. Maybe you knew this already, but did not sound like that.

And oh yeah, thanks for your 1128 posts.