Author Topic: "Spore will fail" says gameplayer.com  (Read 26599 times)

Offline The Time Traveller

• Cobra Commander
  • Building a better yesterday tomorrow.
    • View Profile
Re: "Spore will fail" says gameplayer.com
« Reply #90 on: April 16, 2008, 02:30:24 pm »
This article says:

Why has it taken so long?  Did it fail QA?

My answer:

What?  First, it didn't take very long even if it were just another FPS.  Second, it seemed longer than it was for most games because they publicized it before it was even released.
Warning: Hot.  Choking Hazard for children under 3.  Please do not exit until the vehicle comes to a complete stop.  EULA removes all human rights.  Special features are not rated.  Side effects include  cardiac arrest and spontaneous falling off of body parts.  May contain nuts.  Acts are being performed by trained proffesionals.  Results not typical.  Thank you for flying with United Airlines.

Offline papaboom

• Stargate Superstar
  • ..these go to 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 05, 2008, 03:06:25 pm »
Before - I was inclined to agree with those who said that the "Spore will fail" articles were flame-bait - but if the American Amazon sales rank for the Creature Creator is any indicator (at the time of this post #579 in video games) then it may indeed fail to find it's market.

Perhaps it means nothing and SPORE will be the next Sims - but one would think that it would be alot higher.

Offline The Time Traveller

• Cobra Commander
  • Building a better yesterday tomorrow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 05, 2008, 03:13:04 pm »
While Spore itself is at 18...
Warning: Hot.  Choking Hazard for children under 3.  Please do not exit until the vehicle comes to a complete stop.  EULA removes all human rights.  Special features are not rated.  Side effects include  cardiac arrest and spontaneous falling off of body parts.  May contain nuts.  Acts are being performed by trained proffesionals.  Results not typical.  Thank you for flying with United Airlines.

Offline Lurker28

• Missile Commander
    • View Profile
    • Ordus inferi - Age of Conan Guild
« Reply #93 on: May 05, 2008, 04:20:12 pm »
Also take into account that EA has not even begun it's Advertisement campaign for spore. If history repeats itself like with the sims, we should start seeing some mass advertisements for about two to three months before launch. I do not know if they are going to be doing any televisions spots, but you can bet that you will find a plethora of Spore being advertised.

Just remember EA is banking on the fact that spore will succeed and I doubt they are going to just cross their greedy fingers and hope it sells well, no. They will make sure that the market at large knows what spore is and when it is coming out.

Also expect to see some major overhauls to the Spore website over the summer. This is going to be a very interesting time to be a Spore fan, because it will finally all start coming together. My guess on the official spore forums is going to be just before the creature creator hits stores.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2008, 04:22:19 pm by Lurker28 »

Offline Notorious B.O.B

• Venture Conqueror
  • I still live!
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 05, 2008, 04:46:36 pm »
Before - I was inclined to agree with those who said that the "Spore will fail" articles were flame-bait - but if the American Amazon sales rank for the Creature Creator is any indicator (at the time of this post #579 in video games) then it may indeed fail to find it's market.

Perhaps it means nothing and SPORE will be the next Sims - but one would think that it would be alot higher.

I'm  betting that's mostly because people A: are getting it from other places (myself included) and B: don't want to spend what they think is extra money on the game).  Granted, we will see how the game turns out, but I don't personally think that the Creature Creator's preorders on Amazon are any indication of it).
Leave to a Thark his head and one hand and he may yet conquer.

The glass is alway in balance and full: half liquid, half gas.

Visit my Sporepedia page! http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Bob_Of_Mars

Offline Granite T. Rock

• Intellivision Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Granite's Homepage
« Reply #95 on: May 05, 2008, 05:10:12 pm »
Especially with rumours that some stores will be offering a 10 dollar (dollar for dollar) rebate on the full game, some of us are hedging our bets to wait and see.
My Spore Profile  ****  My Spore Videos
Wii Friend Code: 7772 0178 1092 3363  Mario Kart Code: 2363-6666-4480 (PM me when you add me)

Offline Sub

• Time Pilot Trekker
  • End is tough.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 05, 2008, 05:12:14 pm »

I don't think that the creature creator is any indicator.  Why pay for something when you can get something almost as good for free.

Besides, the fact that you can buy the creature creator wasn't publicized very well, a lot of people don't even know it exists.

Offline DaMuncha

• Lode Runner
  • GREAT SCOTTS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 05, 2008, 05:14:20 pm »
So theyre basing the success of the full game by how stupid people are (weather they will pay for the demo) before the game is even out?

Offline papaboom

• Stargate Superstar
  • ..these go to 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 05, 2008, 05:37:27 pm »
No - they're not I was just commenting on the Creature Creator - the rank for SPORE (the full game) on Amazon (america) is #608 in video games.. That also seems kinda low.

But I dont think that will matter too much - after further research it seems to rank similar to other anticipated titles (WOW expansion etc..)

Offline Uroboros

• Duck Hunter
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 05, 2008, 06:11:38 pm »
Because it hasnt been released yet.
And people have been aware of it for a long time, the main hype wave has come and gone several times already, along with the previous release-dates. To make a vague example, even if Duke Nukem Forever were to finally come out, or be given a solid release date and shown to be far more than people could have hoped for... it still wouldnt get as much of a buzz around it, simply because of the previous delays.

The creature creator isnt really much to go by, because most people who fill up the buyer stats, wont be following Spore as close as we are. To a casual buyer, all they'll see is "pay-demo" and totally ignore it. Especially if they know they'll be getting everything from it in the retail game.

Offline Verkinix

• Brain Games Mastermind
  • SelfControl is the Greatest Power We Have. Use it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 05, 2008, 11:02:59 pm »
The only foreseeable reasons I can see spore failing would be due to horrible security measures. IF they incorporate the 10 day login and securom, then there will be alot of unhappy people wreaking havok across gaming sites, forums, blogs, etc. Not just in the elitist group of players, but also among the casual players. Consumers are no longer ignorant pawns who do no research before they purchase something. Most now have at least a sense of what products are good and bad and read reviews to verify the hearsay.

But if Spore comes out with fairly minimal security measures that dont give people alot of trouble, then it will probably take off and do quite well world wide.

Offline leanbarton

• Mystery House Madman
  • CrushYoMind in Sporepedia
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 06, 2008, 06:32:42 am »
I think the Myspace (Myspore) component they've implemented it going to make this game explode, to be honest.

Take The Sims, Facebook, Myspace, Youtube, and Neopets. Combine them all and add in the concept of what Spore is. You've got what Spore is going to be.

Admittedly I always thought it wouldn't approach The Sims. It'd be a fantastic game but wouldn't be a massive seller. It'd do well, but not in a "best seller!" way. Though turning the Sporepedia into this without needing to leave the game. The simple utility of direct upload to Youtube.  Give this game to 20 people who are "Myspace junkies", and it'll spread like a plague. Because their Spore stuff will show up on their Myspace too. Then others will wonder, and want, and get involved. Even if only to follow the trend, some of them. Which means Spore captures an entirely new demographic of internet users who aren't even buyers for the game, but buyers for the interaction.

Huge sales in the first weeks? No. Massive sales over time? Absolutely, I think so.

My opinion atleast.

I agree. The writer failed to include the social networking aspect of Spore, which adds a whole new wave of creature sharing, networking, etc. Once people start seeing videos on youtube, links on myspace, etc. It'll add more people to the mix over time.

Offline leanbarton

• Mystery House Madman
  • CrushYoMind in Sporepedia
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 06, 2008, 06:36:03 am »
One of the article's main points I agree with: Spore has had some absolutely terrible marketing. One notice does not a newsletter make. It would be nice to see some consistency from the developers to the actual community. It's starting to get to the point that, if they're really going to release this in Sept 08, the marketing needs to be doing some outreach to the community. Otherwise, as the article stated, most people will have no idea this even exists or is worth shelling out $50 (or equivalent) to check it out.

As my wife says, "I'm sure Spore will be fun, but it's no Starcraft 2." And it's a good point, S2 has been consistent in doling out information to both the press and its community of fans (and if EA is thinking of competing with Blizzard, might it be a good idea to copy them in their PR dept?). Even though there's no release date, at least players can look forward to a steady stream of content from the developers. With Spore? Nary an official word, or months between any info.

I gotta agree with that too. There's a such thing as viral marketing. How about billboards with just the galaxy logo, and the release date. Obscure banner ads, etc. I mean come on Maxis, be as creative as your are with games.

Offline Granite T. Rock

• Intellivision Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Granite's Homepage
« Reply #103 on: May 10, 2008, 02:06:09 pm »
The only foreseeable reasons I can see spore failing would be due to horrible security measures. IF they incorporate the 10 day login and securom, then there will be alot of unhappy people wreaking havok across gaming sites, forums, blogs, etc. Not just in the elitist group of players, but also among the casual players. Consumers are no longer ignorant pawns who do no research before they purchase something. Most now have at least a sense of what products are good and bad and read reviews to verify the hearsay.

But if Spore comes out with fairly minimal security measures that dont give people alot of trouble, then it will probably take off and do quite well world wide.

Would the truly casual gammer even know about such issues?   10 day login would be transparent to most people.   I wasn't even aware I had securom programs on my computer until I researched into it a bit more.  I always wondered why the Sims 2 loaded way faster when turning off my virus scanner before loading the sims 2 with all the expansion packs.  If I as a novice didn't make the connection, I would hardly expect a casual gamer unless casual doesn't apply to their other computer usage.
My Spore Profile  ****  My Spore Videos
Wii Friend Code: 7772 0178 1092 3363  Mario Kart Code: 2363-6666-4480 (PM me when you add me)