Author Topic: "Spore will fail" says gameplayer.com  (Read 27010 times)

Offline Lippy

• Galaga General
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
Re: "Spore will fail" says gameplayer.com
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2008, 11:38:34 am »
Will Wright wanted a realistic looking game.  He was dragged over to making a game that had cartoony graphics. And it wasn't because they wanted to widen the audience...they wanted the game to WORK.  It was because however realistic you made the creatures, the animation would never look right.  It would end up looking like what we see now.  They want the user to feel competent at making creatures.  You give them the tools, and they make a realistic looking pony, and then go to animate it and it moves nothing like a pony.
I agree that it was always cartoony, that is what I'm always saying, but it seems your two bolded lines are contradicting each other, if he wantend a realistic game, why did he BEGIN with a cartoony one?

I bolded my response to that question in what I already had typed. 

A lot of the decisions made for the game's development were already made before 2005.  They made prototypes for different parts of the game to see how things would work.   If they could have gotten the animation system to work well with every creature, they would have given us a more realistic game.  Half the team wanted to go realistic, including the art director and Will.  But the results were that the animation system just couldn't produce the quality animation required to keep the illusion of competence with the realistic looking creatures.   I think they went through 3 or 4 different animation systems before settling on the one they have now.

Seeing how they're all SciFi fans and would love to create creatures in the 'Alien' and 'Predator' tradition, Spore just seemed too much of a kiddie game to them. I guess it all depends on how much diversity they'll show once the game comes out if they want to attract some of the more hardcore gamers..

They can easily show the diversity now, before release. If they wanted to, they can show off a lava planet filled with dark, ravenous, scary looking monsters.  They can show realistic looking tanks fighting off an epic monster that has been made to look like a realistic giant monster.   But like its been said before, the marketing seems to be quite sporadic.  I would imagine that closer to release we will see more screenshots of creatures of higher quality.  Creatures that look like they had some time put into them.  Not just the 5 clicks and your done creatures they've been showing for 2 years. 

That's why the Creature Editor Demo is so important.  It will give people the chance to see for themselves just how much they have to work with. 

Offline keithn

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2008, 12:00:59 pm »
Quote from: Gameplayer

[some points of the article:]

[1.]  To gamers it is known, but to the mainstream audience that flocked to The Sims in droves it means nothing.

[2.]  ...the game is broken up into seven sections...

[3.]   ...they take their lead from real gamerís games. Like hardcore stuff: Diablo for the Creature Phase... ...Masters of Orion for the Space Phase.

[4.]  The game has seen a string of release delays, always something that raises doubts in experienced minds? Whatís wrong? What canít they get right? Did it fail QA? Have they aimed too high?

[5.]  ...from MGS4 to GTA IV, 2008 is the year of software...

[6.]  ...cutesy Nintendo-like visual style.

[7.]  ...cringe-worthy broadband network.

[8.]  ...piracy and warez...

1.  EA has access to The Sims customers through gameplay and accounts.

2.  Seven?

3.  Diablo is mindlessly easy.  "Masters of Orion", eh?  Game much?  :)  By the way, no other game has risen to the level of dynamism that Master of Orion has.  That is why, though I still play Master of Orion with my external rules to make it more intellectually challenging, I am looking forward to something as fluffy as Spore: sheer dynamism.

4.  Agreed.

5.  Spore's ALOT more novel.

6.  I don't mind "cutesy", and not all those creatures look cute to me.

7.  That Australian issue won't apply to Spore's tiny transfer files.

8.  Shh.  I can't stand the limitations of console and subscription-pay gameplay.

Offline Xenomorph

• Balloon Fight Aerialist
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2008, 12:08:27 pm »
Guys guys, Relax, stop overreacting. He just made a spelling-error. he meant ''Spore will Prevail" instead of "Spore will Fail"
"Apply layers to Reality
Things only you can see
Add a beat to Normality
To tap the core of Insanity"

Offline YESH

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2008, 12:39:51 pm »
Meh, looking at the article, it just seems as a load of "uneducated" putting Spore down for the sake of just putting it down.
Nothing to take serious, if that is his opinion on something he hasn't even taken the time to read up on, then fine.
I can't see why it is even worth a debate. Everybody can take something they've heard briefly about and find something to put it down with.

And even if Spore won't be a success, who gives a flying flea? Just becuase nobody else is going to buy it, doesn't mean we won't.
I was the first amongst everybody I know to buy The Sims, years after it came out, and after a few months everybody I know had it.

Offline Robertbobby91

• Time Pilot Trekker
  • Don't forget to vote.
    • View Profile
    • If silence is golden, then my house is pyrite
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2008, 01:49:59 pm »
FORGIVE ME MODS, I need to vent my anger.
to the mainstream audience that flocked to The Sims in droves it means nothing. Further to this, the name Will Wright means nothing to this audience as well
ahem
WROOOOOONG!!
WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG
WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONGWROOOOOONG!!

I'm just sayn'
Visit my blog: http://robertbobby91.blogspot.com/

SAT: Critical Reading: 680 Math: 720,  Writing: 690,  essay: 12
WOOT! 2090 TOTAL!!!!

Offline Plank of Wood

• Final Fighter
  • Ka-Boom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2008, 01:53:13 pm »
Someone Stumbleapon that post.
the real saviour of this forum

Offline Classeye

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2008, 02:28:18 pm »

I admit that Spore does have the potential to fail, but this "informed writer" has completely convinced me of his ineptitude to argue that point

"How is EA going to market Spore? It wonít even help their cause if they design the box art to look exactly like The Sims, and have The Sims written all over it, and you know why? Because The Sims 3 has been announced. Its very existence is already chewing chunks out of Sporeís potential audience."

*cough*
last i checked they are atleast a year apart from eachother's release release date, and last I checked, most people buy more than one game every decade.

"There isnít one simple gameplay mechanic to master in Spore: the game is broken up into seven sections that each play differently to the other. And worse still, they take their lead from real gamerís games. Like hardcore stuff: Diablo for the Creature Phase, Populous for the Tribal Phase, Civilization for the Civilization Phase and Masters of Orion for the Space Phase. Like, címonÖ"

So he means to say that it's just loaded with complexities beyond a casual gamer's conprehension [cough] one click interface [/cough] and yet is so simplistic that gamers could never get into it?

(Following this logic, the Wii must have been an absolute failure.)

"And thatís all before you even touch on online, a part of the video game experience that even many gamers have yet to explore, let alone mainstreamers. For proof that online is still a no-go zone for casual gamers just look at the success, or lack thereof, of The Sims Online. "

Since when did Spore function like the Sims Online? Maxis has already stated that they are keeping it single player for that very reason. They've even crafted the game after myspace!
Have you even bothered to research your subject Mr. Stead?

"While The Sims was undeniably a good game, its life absorbing nature did not take with veterans like it did with mainstreamers. And as EA began to flog the brand to death through an onslaught of expansion packs, respect for the series all but evaporated. The rise of the GTAs, and Devil May Crys of this world and the dominance of the PlayStation 2 simply rammed home the diverging paths of Will Wright and his loyal gaming fans."

Oh yeah the Sims was just a ho-hum Greatest Selling PC Game Series of All time (second only to mario)
And since when did this brand rely on causual gamers' respect for the Sims? Mr.Stead himself already admits ĎFrom the guy who brought you The Simsí holds some clout, but little more than a ĎJohn Carpenter Presentsí on a horror film.   

Finally, there is the inevitable loss of sales which will come through piracy and warez which do, like it or not, need to be considered when talking about PC sales, and veteran gamers.

*slaps forehead*
 >:(  Not only has Maxis already stated how they plan to control this, but @#$^%*  &!*$ thatís like saying it has a box!

Get the Van
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2008/02/15

Offline Bona Fide Supraman

• Star Raider
  • Not Super, Supra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2008, 03:57:46 pm »
I have to say, I hate the cartoony graphics with a passion.

They have almost put me off the game, but not quite.

I understand what the guy in the article has been saying, and I have to admit, this is not the same game I was expecting when I first started following it.
Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarves are not happy.

Offline Granite T. Rock

• Intellivision Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Granite's Homepage
« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2008, 04:14:10 pm »
The article fell apart for me in the by-line:

Will Wrightís new Masterpiece is no The Sims killer

Why would EA or Will Wright want to make a Sims killer?
My Spore Profile  ****  My Spore Videos
Wii Friend Code: 7772 0178 1092 3363  Mario Kart Code: 2363-6666-4480 (PM me when you add me)

Offline darkwanderer

• Astrosmasher!
  • Step into the dark
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2008, 04:24:36 pm »
lets calm down, who cares what others think, its what we ENJOY that matters ;)

Offline Tarrasque

• Mystery House Madman
  • Freedom at last!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2008, 04:41:41 pm »
Sims is so successful because you can have *babies* in there, and *relationships* and a *familiy*, and *friends*. All the girlies just love it, must love it.

In Spore you have babies too, but they are only pet babies, and pet babies who must avoid being eaten by other not-so-pet creatures. But Maxis are pros. They know all of this. 
"I'm Jack's complete lack of surprise"

Offline Protoavis

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2008, 06:29:57 pm »
The graphics look good enough. Heck, not every game has to be Crysis level graphics.

You'll find the majority who don't like the "graphics" as you say actually don't like the extreme stylization, it has nothing to do with the graphics as such. They went that route because they were unable to build an adequate motion simulator and from the sounds of things failed to consider allowing customisation of movement because that would be "too hard" for their target audience.

Spore very probably won't fail and people will see great novelty in it, but I expect a very large chunk of the player base will have serious gripes about various aspects of the game because it does really cater or anyone specifically......then along will come the hundred expansions solving those gripes.
"Oh mummy, the bad man said bad things, please mummy...mummy" said the 20+ yr old man.

Offline eropS

• Out Run Speedster
  • That's right, I went there
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2008, 07:16:17 pm »
Um... whats being Kiddie have to do with anything? IT detracts the 1% hardcore department and attracts the 99% casual dept.?

3: It's labeled as a kids game, picture yourself standing in a shop and you see a game called spore, it's for ages 3+ and you see another game called condemned, 18+. You don't know anything about the games, which will you buy?

Yeah... but how many 18 year olds do you know playing the Sims... People will buy what they want i suppose, but in the end if the 10-15 and 20+ market is bigger than the 16-19 one.... why not shoot for those? Look at the Wii, casual games, casual market, hardcore sales....

And in the end... who gives a hoot about the 'veteran gamers'; If the sales are with the newbies and casuals, EA isnt going to go out of thier way to pull in them.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2008, 07:30:40 pm by eropS »
No, no, he did. In the everything else section, at least. Officially, this makes him king.

Offline Sub

• Time Pilot Trekker
  • End is tough.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2008, 08:14:05 pm »
Uh, I'm 18, I'm choosing Spore.

Offline xnodas

• Frogger Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 20, 2008, 08:37:29 pm »
Actually they made so many ep.s and advertisement because it was a huge success on its own, Neither Maxis believe in it, nor EA, only Will Wright. But the fact of its existence was enough to make it a huge success.

And The Sims 1 sold more copies than The Sims 2.  

Well I don't know where you got that information that the Sims outsold the Sims 2 because this link doesn't even have the Sims in its top ten most selling games but has several of the expansion packs of the Sims on there. http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/37436/Best-Selling-U-S-PC-Games-Of-February *Note that it is only for U.S.

And I am not saying the Sims wasn't a hit, I was just saying the word needs to get out by example for a game to do extremely well. I beleive that Spore will probably do better than the first Sims, but it probably will not be in the top ten, but the first expansion might kill all of the charts.
"Tell me what you cherish most...give me the pleasure of taking it away." Final Fatasy VII: Advent Children