Author Topic: "Spore will fail" says gameplayer.com  (Read 27030 times)

Offline YESH

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
Re: "Spore will fail" says gameplayer.com
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2008, 05:46:46 am »
Only us gamers even know about Spore.  Mention it to casual gamers and they'll have know clue what you are talking about.
I disagree with that, I virtually never play games, and I've followed spore for about 3 years.
When I tell a gamer about Spore, their attitude towards it is usually somthing like; "sounds gay".
The only people I know who is interested in it, are people who don't really play games all that much.

But I don't think spore will fail in sales though, even my friends who are skeptic towards it have said they wanna going to buy it when it comes out, just to try it out.
One thing that would make Spore fail, is if they put monthly fees on it. All the people who are skeptic wouldn't bother, I wouldn't even buy it then.

Offline DaMuncha

• Lode Runner
  • GREAT SCOTTS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2008, 05:51:52 am »
Well they'd have to make a bloody brilliant boost boiling to the brim with bells and whistles, brainwaves and belief before I'd buy any boost for it.

But believe me, blabbering on about buying or not buying boundless batches of builds will not bring us before any sort of brickhouse answer.

Offline Zamaza

• Bezerk Brawler
  • Daydreaming at Night
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2008, 06:44:26 am »
DaMuncha, I haven't had enough coffee yet, I had to read that like 5 times... (laughing).  You win an *internet cookie*

Offline mike20022

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • My Spore page http://www.spore.com/view/profile/mike99a
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2008, 06:53:22 am »
Only us gamers even know about Spore.  Mention it to casual gamers and they'll have know clue what you are talking about.
I disagree with that, I virtually never play games, and I've followed spore for about 3 years.
When I tell a gamer about Spore, their attitude towards it is usually somthing like; "sounds gay".
The only people I know who is interested in it, are people who don't really play games all that much.

But I don't think spore will fail in sales though, even my friends who are skeptic towards it have said they wanna going to buy it when it comes out, just to try it out.
One thing that would make Spore fail, is if they put monthly fees on it. All the people who are skeptic wouldn't bother, I wouldn't even buy it then.

I play games all the time since i was 9yo now I'm 32yo i mostly play simulator games or on line game's like BF2142... now Ive followed spore since late 2004 i read about it on 1up dot com, but i have to agree if i have to pay a monthly fee i wont bother with spore full stop.

the only thing id pay for is content or editors that i have a choice to buy it or not.

Offline Lippy

• Galaga General
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2008, 08:29:50 am »
He still says the game is going to be great, just won't be a "mainstream success."  I don't think it's a negative review at all.  But like had been said before, the heading with the word FAIL is incendiary in order to garner more hits/reads.  Yeah, few of his points really make sense.  Especially the lag part of playing online...he obviously doesn't get that part of the game.

Will Wright wanted to avoid only gamers playing this game, so he added cutesy graphics and simplistic gameplay.

It annoys me whenever people say this because they're making an assumption on what they see.  They see a game with cute graphics and jump to the conclusion that it was all because he wanted to make it kiddy and sell to casual people.

Will Wright wanted a realistic looking game.  He was dragged over to making a game that had cartoony graphics.  And it wasn't because they wanted to widen the audience...they wanted the game to WORK.  It was because however realistic you made the creatures, the animation would never look right.  It would end up looking like what we see now.  They want the user to feel competent at making creatures.  You give them the tools, and they make a realistic looking pony, and then go to animate it and it moves nothing like a pony. 

And this wasn't a big change in the direction of the style of the game.  The game was on its way to the point it is at now, BEFORE GDC 2005.  The game was already set up to be more cute than realistic.  Hence the big eyed, one legged hoppers, and Carebears, and hangdog.  Heck, watch the first Spore trailer that uses the same graphics as the GDC2005 demo.  Tell me that's not cartoony or kiddie. 

And as for adding simplistic gameplay, it's always been light on gameplay.  Each phase is a light version of a different genre.  And it's a sandbox game first.  A toy.  If anything, they've been adding more gameplay elements in order to make playing in that sandbox more fun for us, the gamers.  That's where the collecting of parts and quests come from.  It gives those of us who want them, tactile goals, and not just the artificial and imaginary goals you have to come up with yourself in emergent games.

Is the game too in the middle?  Does it have to pick a side and stick with it?  It's already broken the "don't mix genres" rule.  It's already kicking the user created content ideology up a few pegs.  Why not stick yourself smack dab in the middle?

Offline Fumanchu

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2008, 08:32:41 am »
One of the article's main points I agree with: Spore has had some absolutely terrible marketing. One notice does not a newsletter make. It would be nice to see some consistency from the developers to the actual community. It's starting to get to the point that, if they're really going to release this in Sept 08, the marketing needs to be doing some outreach to the community. Otherwise, as the article stated, most people will have no idea this even exists or is worth shelling out $50 (or equivalent) to check it out.

As my wife says, "I'm sure Spore will be fun, but it's no Starcraft 2." And it's a good point, S2 has been consistent in doling out information to both the press and its community of fans (and if EA is thinking of competing with Blizzard, might it be a good idea to copy them in their PR dept?). Even though there's no release date, at least players can look forward to a steady stream of content from the developers. With Spore? Nary an official word, or months between any info.

Offline xnodas

• Frogger Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2008, 08:42:51 am »
Actually the main reason why I don't believe Spore will do amazing is because it is the first of its kind. The reason why the Sims is so popular is because they made a million expansions for it and each one was advertised on the tv. Ya might think a lot of people know about it but theres a lot more who probably don't. As long as the first is good then the second will do amazingly. Its like the Halo series did the best on the third one because everybody and their brother had at least played the second one because of someone who played the amazingness of the first one. As long as the series stays great it wil do better each time because more people will end up buying it.

The word has to get out there by example for it to really be a huge hit. Demos do help but are mostly played by people who already know about the game.
"Tell me what you cherish most...give me the pleasure of taking it away." Final Fatasy VII: Advent Children

Offline Dr . Nick

• Phoenix Fighter
  • Hello Everybody
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2008, 09:47:14 am »
Ah common can we keep the Doom factor down?
Where is your faith in the almighty Will?

As some people have pointed out already and which i did as well in the past, the ''myspace'' factor of Spore will make it a big hit.

Don't underestimate the power of Youtube. Personally I'm not a big fan of youtube but u can bet your a*s
that this feature will prove to be the big selling point of Spore. Copycat behaviour.
Too tired to write up a detailed explanation of how and why but anyone with a 1/4 of a brain has understood the point.

Spore WILL outsell The Sims.
Spore WILL be a big hit.
Spore WILL start a revolution in gamedesign. Conceptual and Techwise...for some reason these days (coming closer to gold that is) people forget about the technological revolution behind Spore.

Not to mention its the first complete software package/game that comes close to web 2.0
« Last Edit: March 20, 2008, 09:48:51 am by Dr . Nick »

Offline Len84

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2008, 10:03:27 am »
This all comes down to advertising.
They haven't started to advertise it properly yet.
Very few people I know actually know of Spore.

Offline DoggySpew

• Scramble Skipper
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2008, 10:20:01 am »
I must admit I see where the author is comming from, my gamer neighbour calls spore "viva simspore", and I understand why he would say that, the graphics are becomming less and less appealing, the creature options all look too cutesy cutie cute, especially the eyes, and the potential for 19 simlike expansions is most likely too tempting for EA to pass on, I do however think the game will sell well still, real gamers will still want to check it out, I mean ... thats what we do, and the casual ones will be swayed by advertising.
If you have been following Gaming Steve's podcasts, he itterates this again and again: Casual players dominate the market,  thus "real" players do not exits. Because I play a cutesy game with cutesy graphics (An opinion I do not share, you can make it as  non-cute as you like), does this mean I'm less of a player ?

The graphics look good enough. Heck, not every game has to be Crysis level graphics.

http://www.spore.com/view/profile/DoggySpew

7 Gold, 5 Silver, 4 Bronze on the Olympics.

Offline Petike

• Stargate Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2008, 10:21:30 am »
Will Wright wanted a realistic looking game.  He was dragged over to making a game that had cartoony graphics.  And it wasn't because they wanted to widen the audience...they wanted the game to WORK.  It was because however realistic you made the creatures, the animation would never look right.  It would end up looking like what we see now.  They want the user to feel competent at making creatures.  You give them the tools, and they make a realistic looking pony, and then go to animate it and it moves nothing like a pony. 

And this wasn't a big change in the direction of the style of the game.  The game was on its way to the point it is at now, BEFORE GDC 2005.  The game was already set up to be more cute than realistic.  Hence the big eyed, one legged hoppers, and Carebears, and hangdog.  Heck, watch the first Spore trailer that uses the same graphics as the GDC2005 demo.  Tell me that's not cartoony or kiddie. 
I agree that it was always cartoony, that is what I'm always saying, but it seems your two bolded lines are contradicting each other, if he wantend a realistic game, why did he BEGIN with a cartoony one?

Actually the main reason why I don't believe Spore will do amazing is because it is the first of its kind. The reason why the Sims is so popular is because they made a million expansions for it and each one was advertised on the tv. Ya might think a lot of people know about it but theres a lot more who probably don't. As long as the first is good then the second will do amazingly.
Actually they made so many ep.s and advertisement because it was a huge success on its own, Neither Maxis believe in it, nor EA, only Will Wright. But the fact of its existence was enough to make it a huge success.

And The Sims 1 sold more copies than The Sims 2. ;)
Quote from: MasterChiToes in "Spore was dumbed down"
Maybe the Sporons are the ones that got dumbed down?  ;D

Offline Shadowgandor

• Scramble Skipper
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2008, 11:12:23 am »
Personally, I think this game will have the same kind of public as viva pināta, the reasons?

1: The graphics, they look cute and colourful, so it will attract those people.
2: The freedom, it's not some kind of lineair game where you are saving the world, but it just lets you do whatever you want.
3: It's labeled as a kids game, picture yourself standing in a shop and you see a game called spore, it's for ages 3+ and you see another game called condemned, 18+. You don't know anything about the games, which will you buy?

There are a few other reasons as well, but those have already been named anyway.

Offline The Time Traveller

• Cobra Commander
  • Building a better yesterday tomorrow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2008, 11:17:55 am »
No, I think it would be 10+.  It does have (minimal) violence in it.  And the fact that youtube is required 13+ may just get it rated T.
Warning: Hot.  Choking Hazard for children under 3.  Please do not exit until the vehicle comes to a complete stop.  EULA removes all human rights.  Special features are not rated.  Side effects include  cardiac arrest and spontaneous falling off of body parts.  May contain nuts.  Acts are being performed by trained proffesionals.  Results not typical.  Thank you for flying with United Airlines.

Offline uj

• Phoenix Fighter
  • Let's roll!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2008, 11:19:30 am »
I predict Spore will outsell the Sims. How do I know this? The analysis is fairly long but I do know what I'm talking about.

For those keeping track thats my 3d prediction on these forums.
1) No water creatures at initial release. I was right about this even when the fanboys were denying it.
2) No split limbs at initial release.
3) Spore will outsell the Sims and be the best selling game of all time until something better comes along.

I siged my predictions for future gloating/ridicule.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2008, 11:23:48 am by uj »
My predictions for Spore.

1) No water creatures at initial release. I was right about this even when the fanboys were denying it.
2) No composite limbs at initial release. eg. Buttface; attaching a limb to a limb to... Update: Prediction was incorrect. Buttface is in!
3) Spore will outsell the Sims and be the best selling game of all time until something better comes along.

Offline jarnomiedema

• Wizard of Wor
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2008, 11:20:37 am »
This definitely got a good laugh out of me:

Regarding the article, I can see what they mean. I've been following Spore (like many here) since I first heard about it in 2005. It seemed like the game I had been dreaming about. Not everything in the new versions of the alpha / beta build was to my liking because it seemed to cut a few things I had expected / hoped for from the beginning, but it nevertheless seems like an amazing game..

Talking to several friends of mine (most of whom discovered Spore quite late), their consensus was that Spore seemed amazing, but was waaay to cute to be taken seriously. Seeing how they're all SciFi fans and would love to create creatures in the 'Alien' and 'Predator' tradition, Spore just seemed too much of a kiddie game to them. I guess it all depends on how much diversity they'll show once the game comes out if they want to attract some of the more hardcore gamers..