Author Topic: Civ4 Pit Boss Game  (Read 19023 times)

Offline Aybraus

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • aka VFX Watch aka Toothy aka Chris.
    • View Profile
Civ4 Pit Boss Game
« on: March 19, 2008, 01:33:59 pm »
Game started!

Storytelling thread

So I'm going to be running a PitBoss game on my computer-turned-server. The game starts at 1900 GMT on Wednesday (EDIT: at the latest).
My goal with this game is to create a non-competitive, immersive, RP-esque Civilization IV PitBoss game played by the forum members that I've grown to trust.

For the sake of searching, I should probably say "Dvorak" without special characters.
===DETAILS===
Technical Mumbo-Jumbo
  • Civilization IV base game v1.74
  • Connection via Hamachi
Maps 'n' modes
  • Standard Size PerfectWorld Map
  • No AI
  • Normal pace
  • Noble
  • PitBoss server
  • 14 hour turn time limit
  • Simultaneous turns
  • Permanent Alliances, normal everything else.
Roleplaying?
  • Play like an actual leader from the time period, basing your actions, especially your wars, on things other than you goal of "winning." Act sort of like an AI player. Get into the mindset that the "game" is a tool to make stories, not a contest of skill.
    Good reasons:
    • your civ's religion
    • trades/offerings
    • history
    • economic need
    • your made-up society and government
    Bad reasons:
    • genocidal policy
    • being a looney barbarian
    • saying your political leader got shot
    • 9/11
    • trying to "win the game"
  • Establish a persona for your civilization and/or leaders. Keep it for at least five turns or so, and stick to it!
  • Storytelling outside of gameplay (in the sister thread) is neither required nor encouraged. Still, it's a good way to do diplomacy and can be quite fun.
  • You must have a very good explanation or story for sending your civilization to war.
  • You must have an extremely good reason for breaking an agreement between you and another player.
  • I will step in and punish players who are extremely unsportsmanlike and contrary to this game's goal for long periods of time. Beyond that it's peer pressure and honor system.
  • This is based on fictional history, not real history.
  • Play like your leader, but don't talk like him/her. This isn't an in-character affair.
Rules of Conduct
  • This isn't Starcraft. Don't get ready for wars before you even see your opponent, don't attack Settlers who aren't intruding on your territory. No fighting before 3500 BC.
  • Don't double-move when you are involved in a war, even if you aren't doing the fighting. Simultaneous turns are on so that the game moves quickly, but don't betray this convenience.
  • Check this thread OFTEN
  • Try to log in from 1600-1900 GMT on Saturdays and Sundays so we can get a ton of turns out of the way. Tell us if you can't come so we don't have to wait for you
  • It's no big deal if you are going out of town for a bit, just tell us a few days in advance. We're all busy (I'm normally busy but am spring vacation now)
Players
  • Aybraus - Random
  • Brandonazz - Catherine
  • josasa - Mansa Musa
  • tomasgaquino - Isabella
  • Plank of Wood - Genghis Khan

HOW TO JOIN THE GAME:
Get Hamachi and Civilization 4 v1.74. Then PM me for our hamachi network, password, and other things.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 07:40:48 am by Aybraus »

I'm toothy22 on Steam. Someone needs to invite me into the GS clan!

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
Re: Aybraus's Civilization IV Roleplaying Pitboss game for forumers.
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 01:50:02 pm »
Tell me more about these Role Play elements, that particular section had grabbed my interest.

Offline Brandonazz

• Baseball SuperStar
  • Hoc etiam transibit
    • View Profile
    • My Internet Treasure Trove
Re: Aybraus's Civilization IV Roleplaying Pitboss game for forumers.
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2008, 01:56:53 pm »
Likewise.

A role-playing game of Civilization IV would be interesting to say the least.

Offline Aybraus

• Mr. Do! Disciple
    • View Profile
Well, it would mean the game would be different from most Civ multiplayer games, where the goal of the game is, you know, winning quickly because everyone else will try to win quickly and is smart enough to do so.

By RP, I mean that you have to play like a very well-programed AI player. You can be smart, you can try to win, but you have to do things you ordinarily wouldn't do.

A good RP player, in my opinion, would appreciate diplomatic gestures from other players. He wouldn't do any "betrayal lol" moves that can mean victory but make him seem like a total bastard. He would, in accordance with his civics, act like a administration from that time period. For example, during medieval times he would be hesistant make deals with people with a different state religion. He'd establish a personality for his empire and play according to it (making sure not to be a maniacal warmonger). He'd change it periodically (every ten turns or so) if necessary, but provide an explanation.

So under my RP rules, players that act like that ^ would be rewarded. The game's "RP Judge" would reward players for making bold, or even suicidal RP moves. Perhaps it would be an in-game reward like a gold bonus, or maybe a bonus on the endgame scores to recognize an "official" score.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
That sounds interesting. How would these judges exert any authority though?

Offline Aybraus

• Mr. Do! Disciple
    • View Profile
They'd get the admin password?

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
Alright, that's all I needed to know. Thanks.

Anyway, should be interesting to see how this pans out. Good luck with it!

Offline tomasgaquino

• Gorf Goon
  • Now that's deadly. *psycho song*
    • View Profile
You've caught me here, do expect me to come to these games, Mr. Cripes Almighty!

Great idea, by the way.

Offline Brandonazz

• Baseball SuperStar
  • Hoc etiam transibit
    • View Profile
    • My Internet Treasure Trove
I'd be willing to join in the field test for this, assuming it is scheduled in such a way that I may.

Offline Josasa

• Commando Soldier
    • View Profile
You've caught me here, do expect me to come to these games, Mr. Cripes Almighty!

Great idea, by the way.

He's not Cripes Amighty. I am, haha.

Anyway, this looks very interesting but I can quickly see this turning into a relgious brawl which ends in diplomatic victory by Apostolic Palace (but someone would have to religion hog, ahem, brandonazz, ahem ;)). Still interesting though.

Offline Aybraus

• Mr. Do! Disciple
    • View Profile
I can quickly see this turning into a relgious brawl which ends in diplomatic victory by Apostolic Palace (but someone would have to religion hog, ahem, brandonazz, ahem ;)). Still interesting though.
Well for one thing, I'm a mac user so we won't be using BtS. For another, it would be a better ending than most 'net games which end before the bronze age.

Offline tomasgaquino

• Gorf Goon
  • Now that's deadly. *psycho song*
    • View Profile

Great idea, by the way.

He's not Cripes Amighty. I am, haha.

Anyway, this looks very interesting but I can quickly see this turning into a relgious brawl which ends in diplomatic victory by Apostolic Palace (but someone would have to religion hog, ahem, brandonazz, ahem ;)). Still interesting though.

Oh, yea, sorry. Still. Do expect me to come! ;D

Offline Josasa

• Commando Soldier
    • View Profile
I can quickly see this turning into a relgious brawl which ends in diplomatic victory by Apostolic Palace (but someone would have to religion hog, ahem, brandonazz, ahem ;)). Still interesting though.
Well for one thing, I'm a mac user so we won't be using BtS. For another, it would be a better ending than most 'net games which end before the bronze age.

1) Darn
2) That's true.

This is looking more and more interesting.

Offline Aybraus

• Mr. Do! Disciple
    • View Profile
My opinion on the various factors.

===========================================

Roleplaying elements
  • IC, how much, how is it enforced? I'd say that players who act or play in character are to be rewarded with gold (around 100 per impressive roleplaying feat) at the expense of other players. This does not mean "talk like a medieval man or King Leonidas," I'd like normal english to be the standard.
  • Story planning on forum? Sounds a bit too extreme imo. On the forum, players should establish a civilization/leader persona and describe it in a few sentences, but beyond that it's just fun.
  • Concrete RP rules? I'd say no rule but this one: you must have at least three legitimate, in story, reasons to go to war before you do so, otherwise you face a penalty.
  • Rewards for RP actions, even ones that cause the extreme RPer to be disadvantaged? Definitely, but RP rewards won't be given out until a few turns after an RP feat. So if you enter a suicidal holy war, you'll have to stick with it before it pays off.
  • Third-party "RP judge" (see "Admin")?
  • *New* real history theme? Should we RP actual events? No, I think that's a tad cheesy
Gameplay options
  • Expansion packs (likely no, I only have the base game)
  • Mods: Meh.
  • Map script and size: I'm thinking Large Terra.
  • Simultaneous login times: I'd say a half-hour (or longer) session two days a week would be good.
  • Difficulty: noble
  • Computer players, and whether they're used specially (one idea is having a CPU "Rome" with an extreme advantage, or several CPU "tribes" with extreme disadvantages). I want both, but it all depends on the # of players.
  • Number of players? No idea
  • Pace? Why not do epic? I can leave my compy running for a looong time.
  • Time limit? 24 hours and you miss your turn
Administration
  • Who and how many? I'll be the administrator gameplay-wise, but I'd like to appoint an objective RP judge to dole out RP rewards
  • Admin abilities/role? Only RP rewards and any game-ruining balance issues should be admin'd.
  • Can admins, especially RP judges, play? I hope so. I'm a pretty good DM so I won't try and ruin things for the players
Players
  • Requirements to play (eg forum seniority)? I'd say any members more than a month old (in membership time)
  • Forum punishments for misconduct in game? Only if you screw with my computer.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2008, 09:43:58 pm by Aybraus »

Offline Plank of Wood

• Final Fighter
  • Ka-Boom!
    • View Profile
Dibs on teh Mongols.

For some reason if I play as anyone else I either

A) Get locked in an everlasting war between the Barbarians always destroy anything that hasn't got 5 units on it and I can't expand but I'm doing just fine with everything

Or

B) Get pissed off when everyone is using chariots in 1655 and I'm the only one with decent techs.

Or finnaly

C) Get pissed off and leave when my best freind declares war on me, bloody ingatefull ****s.
the real saviour of this forum