Author Topic: Madrid Q&A (no water creatures, no plant editor, no true flying, no figurines)  (Read 23576 times)

Offline DaMuncha

• Lode Runner
  • GREAT SCOTTS!
    • View Profile
If EA was making Star Craft:

"hey yeah, thats a great idea, lets cut Protoss out of the game compleltely and have it as an expansion!, then they'll have to spend more money!"

Thereby cutting out a third of the game.

This is what everyone fears EA will do with Spore, and taking out any form of water creatures is doing just that.

Offline DoggySpew

• Scramble Skipper
    • View Profile

"hey yeah, thats a great idea, lets cut Protoss out of the game compleltely and have it as an expansion!, then they'll have to spend more money!"

This is what everone fears EA will do with Spore and taking out any form of water creatures is doing just that.

Water creatures were never a big part of the game.

And stop blackballing EA, it really is tiresome.

http://www.spore.com/view/profile/DoggySpew

7 Gold, 5 Silver, 4 Bronze on the Olympics.

Offline darkwanderer

• Astrosmasher!
  • Step into the dark
    • View Profile

This is what everone fears EA will do with Spore and taking out any form of water creatures is doing just that.

they were a big part, but no their not taking it out so people spend more money, they never put it in as it was a STRUCTURED DEMO PEOPLE at GDC 2005, and adding it would mean theyd have to program a vast amount of the game mechanics twice to incorporate the water gameplay, which in itself is a massive DELAY to the game, so theyll do it in an expansion. dont complain, you get spore this year instead of 2010.

Offline DarkDragon

• Final Fantasy Fanatic
    • View Profile

they were a big part, but no their not taking it out so people spend more money, they never put it in as it was a STRUCTURED DEMO PEOPLE at GDC 2005, and adding it would mean theyd have to program a vast amount of the game mechanics twice to incorporate the water gameplay, which in itself is a massive DELAY to the game, so theyll do it in an expansion. dont complain, you get spore this year instead of 2010.

Actually, they already have a big part of the technology in, the flying creatures. If they make underwater parts, when you are underwater they just have to make "floating" parts so your creature can go up and down and move around like it's constantly "flying", turn the sky into water, different flora for the underwater zone and don't allow the creatures to go above sea level and you have an underwater creature phase :P
DarkDragon's Minecraft Survival Server (use this as the IP):

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

- The server uses a whitelist, if you're not on the whitelist (can't connect), PM me your minecraft name.

Offline LE102071

• Fire Truck Driver
    • View Profile

Actually, they already have a big part of the technology in, the flying creatures. If they make underwater parts, when you are underwater they just have to make "floating" parts so your creature can go up and down and move around like it's constantly "flying", turn the sky into water, different flora for the underwater zone and don't allow the creatures to go above sea level and you have an underwater creature phase :P

Wait, what?  Last I read flying was out...  Has that been reversed since the Interview that was posted?

Peace

Offline darkov

• Lunar Lander Leader
  • Sporepedia - Arrozal
    • View Profile
Your world is locked in an eternal ice age and you get palm trees. Its bloody effing Arrakis and you get palm trees. Thousand mile high spires of rock are sticking akimbo out of a blood red ocean... and those same spires are strewn with palm trees.

Although it's still not up to scratch with your customization ideas, none of the planetary vegetation I've seen has looked out of place in it's environment.
"It's an experience that is not often had but it's very memorable. When you've sat back and thought about the meaning of life or your place in the universe or are there aliens out there or did I evolve from pond scum or whatever it is, that kind of range of questions is the domain of Spore and everybody in some sense has asked our own set of those questions." -- Will Wright

Offline DaMuncha

• Lode Runner
  • GREAT SCOTTS!
    • View Profile
There is no walking/flying/swimming , it just looks that way. All it is is models moving on a XYZ scale from point A to point B. So I dont see what the big deal is with having it in.

Offline MageLite

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
Only one UFO.

My interest in Spore just deflated. Exploring the galaxy, my massive alien civilisation stretching out across hundreds of worlds throughout the galaxy...with just one dinky space ship.

Balls.

Offline Sub

• Time Pilot Trekker
  • End is tough.
    • View Profile
One that you control.  Just pretend that there are other Spaceships sent out by your race.  No biggie. 

Offline DarkDragon

• Final Fantasy Fanatic
    • View Profile
Only one UFO.

My interest in Spore just deflated. Exploring the galaxy, my massive alien civilisation stretching out across hundreds of worlds throughout the galaxy...with just one dinky space ship.

Balls.

Actually, Spaceballs

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

- The server uses a whitelist, if you're not on the whitelist (can't connect), PM me your minecraft name.

Offline Lippy

• Galaga General
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
One that you control.  Just pretend that there are other Spaceships sent out by your race.  No biggie. 

In one of the interviews they said you can get UFOs from friendly systems to follow you and help you out, just like you could do during creature phase when you were only controlling one creature. 

Offline MageLite

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile

If I'm going to pretend I might as well not buy the game and just sit here imagining it all in my head. I actually want to see my alien civilisation flourish, I want to see large numbers of space-ships patrolling, protecting, and trading, I don't want to see a bunch of lonely colonies lying about with one ship flying about trying to manage them all, I want to see my civilisation come to live. And of course, I would love to have large space battles, rather than just one space ship trying to take down entire empires. Which also, funily enough, also have only one space ship, no matter their size.

Actually, Spaceballs

...Somebody must make a Spaceballs-themed race.

In one of the interviews they said you can get UFOs from friendly systems to follow you and help you out, just like you could do during creature phase when you were only controlling one creature. 

Which is also terrible as I don't don't want a fleet made of other people's orange/polkadot/flourescent greenish-purple ships, I want a fleet of my ships of my design.

Offline NettiWelho

• Space Invaders Junkie
  • Its thar nettiwelho!
    • View Profile
Hmm... im quite sure it wont take long for the modding community to come up something like that, multiple controllable ships

Offline DarkDragon

• Final Fantasy Fanatic
    • View Profile
We must remember the UFO we control is very powerful so 10 of them would destroy a planet easily with the tools available, therefore if more were to be added, they would have to be weaker versions of your terraforming, etc... ufo

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

Offline NettiWelho

• Space Invaders Junkie
  • Its thar nettiwelho!
    • View Profile
Off-Topic:
Actually a ship capable of interstellar travel(via conventional means, not violating or bending the laws of physics, while travel time being reasonable for the travelers[time dialation]) would already have powerful enough engine output to annhiliate all life on earth... now just imagine the power of the actual weapons of such species

however for sake of gameplay being fun i'd like to be able to make fleets of vessels instead of just 1

hmm... or perhaps fleets of smaller, weaker vessels and the UFO acting as your capital ship? that could work?