Author Topic: Pet Ferret  (Read 1716 times)

Offline Draugr

• Zork Emperor
  • ORGASMIC.
    • View Profile
Pet Ferret
« on: March 16, 2008, 06:55:39 pm »
over the past few months i have wanted a pet ferret, but i dont know anyone who has one to set me straight. basically what i am asking is if anyone out has a ferret or knows enough about pet ferrets to tell if i should get one or not. i am a devoted pet owner and this is not a issue of whether or not i can handle the burden, my question is are ferrets suited for the indoors or when i get this little bugger will he just be bored to death by living in cage

Kings 2:23-24 --- The Holy Bible
23 From there Elisha went up to Bethel. As he was walking along the road, some youths came out of the town and jeered at him. "Go on up, you baldhead!" they said. "Go on up, you baldhead!" 24 He turned around, looked at them and called down a curse on them in the name of the LORD. Then two bears came out of the woods and mauled forty-two of the youth.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
Re: Pet Ferret
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2008, 07:01:25 pm »
Well you'll have to play with it a bit if you don't want it to be bored. They like to sleep in hammocks and whatnot and they are fun. One thing though, ferrets STINK to high heaven, if you and anyone else who has to be around you can put up with the smell then alright, otherwise maybe you should start an aquarium or something.

Offline 762

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2008, 07:13:58 pm »
Yeah ferrets really do smell bad. My uncle has a couple, the house has a slight tinge of an odor to it and right around the cage is rank.

They also can be pretty mean. You always have to be careful when you play with them, since they may bite and they can take off skin.

I wouldn't recommend ferrets. If you're looking for a cuddly pet, get a cat or a small dog. Let's say you are looking for a cuddly pet. If you can get past the smell, the animal will bite you anyway.

Spore countdowns: USA Europe

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
  • Now for some real user power...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2008, 07:50:58 pm »
I had a girlfriend that had a couple. Like the others have said, they smell bad. They are also destructive, messy, and mischievous. If the behavior was once in a while it would be cute and fun, but when it is a constant thing it becomes downright annoying. They are attention whores and my girlfriend's ferrets hated me to the point we had to spend all our time away from her place (which only angered the ferrets more.)

Get a rabid dog, they are less of a headache.

-Lego

(yes, my opinion may be lopsided, even downright mean, but keeping long skinny rats for pets just doesn't make sense to me... give me a wholesome predator like a dog or cat. Heck Red-Tailed hawks are better pets).

Offline Gorman Conall

• Space Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2008, 07:57:27 pm »
Ferrets are awesome and curious little pets. They will be happy in doors as long you let them out to run around and such. But yes they stink bad.

I'm planning on getting one in a few months actually.

Offline Uroboros

• Duck Hunter
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2008, 08:35:45 pm »
Ferrets explore. The first step is to ensure you can fully ferret-proof your house.
Not for the safety of your possessions, but for their safety. Google it. xP

Offline Gauphastus

• Ice Climber
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2008, 08:37:51 pm »
My dad used to have a pet ferret when he was young.
He didn't have much to say, but he did remark on the smell quite a bit. No matter what he did to get rid of it, there would always be a stink of fish.

That's all I have.
"Ma all the gods of furious strong be with you as you crunch opposents, and live like a windrammer as you f**k."
       ~Ricky Wangstrom

Offline blitzonator

• Starcross Space Cadet
  • A pic from the galactic zoo. What is it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2008, 01:15:26 pm »
I'm pretty sure a person who has an account called swamp can handle a ferret's smell.

Offline Draugr

• Zork Emperor
  • ORGASMIC.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2008, 03:43:26 pm »
smell ain't such a big deal, however do they still stink even if u get them descented.
Kings 2:23-24 --- The Holy Bible
23 From there Elisha went up to Bethel. As he was walking along the road, some youths came out of the town and jeered at him. "Go on up, you baldhead!" they said. "Go on up, you baldhead!" 24 He turned around, looked at them and called down a curse on them in the name of the LORD. Then two bears came out of the woods and mauled forty-two of the youth.