Author Topic: Starship Troopers 3  (Read 12884 times)

Offline Werechicken

• Starcross Space Cadet
    • View Profile
Re: Starship Troopers 3
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2008, 08:31:54 pm »
The first one wasn't half bad, it did have some of the things that the book had, like the government ruthlessly exploiting the patriotism of their young population and the use of propaganda.

Did you read the book?
-Lego

No just got a brief summary from a friend, so I'll admit I may be speaking out of turn, but compared to the second the first is a glowing beacon of good movies.
What have you got against intellectual midgets? They're quite smart little guys as far as i can tell.

Offline Behumat

• Joust Warrior
  • Coruscant committee to fight urban sprawl
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2008, 06:39:11 am »
My biggest dissappointment with the movie was that they took out the powered armor, and didn't even mention the skinnies. The CGI cartoon is actually closer to the book.

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
  • Now for some real user power...
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2008, 07:39:30 pm »
The first one wasn't half bad, it did have some of the things that the book had, like the government ruthlessly exploiting the patriotism of their young population and the use of propaganda.

Did you read the book?
-Lego

No just got a brief summary from a friend, so I'll admit I may be speaking out of turn, but compared to the second the first is a glowing beacon of good movies.

The book was written in the 1950's and was actually a very good snapshot of the world in many respects from the 1960s to today. The basic premis of the government was that 'if you wanted to vote, you needed to work for the government at some point first'. The easiest and shortest route to do that was through military service. The book chronicals the enlistment and combat record of the main character and the two different war fronts he fought on. Anybody joining or thinking of joining the military should read this book. I read it during basic training in the Army and was laughing at the comparisions.

"I am a 30 second bomb, 29, 28, 27,....."

-Lego

Offline Lord Janos

• Wizardry Whiz
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2008, 11:10:22 am »
Casper Van Dien is back in it... so it might actually feel like a Starship Troopers film.  Hope it lives up to the first one... although I doubt it will.

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2008, 08:52:53 pm »
Just finished watching this(EDIT: Since it doesn't come out until Aug 5th, um... I guess this is a preview (cough) ), and it didn't totally suck. Felt more like Robocop 2 really, but what the hell.

Casper Van Dien and Jolene Blalock are the only two good actors in the movie... actually Blalock impressed me (and no she isn't naked in this movie), she plays a Starship Captain and actually pulls it off well. It'll be worth a rental if you enjoyed the first one (like Die Hard 2, just pretend the second Starship Troopers movie never existed).

Spoliers, well they might be for some:
The government is far more oppresive, becoming a focal point in the plot line, so they strayed farther from the books.
Power armor (Marauder) does make an appearance, not bad but you can tell the budget was thinning out.
One bit that is funny to watch is the desert scenes... as they progress Blalock looks like she really has been doing something rugged while the other female 'Holly' (Marnette Patterson) looks like she just walked on to the set from her trailer.

Below is a general outline of the movie:

The war is still going on. Rico is now a colonel. The war has spread and the local planets that have been invaded are blaming the terran government for causing the war to spread (sub plot of Federation crackdown against rebelling citizens inserted here). The Sky Marshall, who is also a pop singer, gets caught in a firefight on a bug planet, escapes, then crash lands on another planet. High Command wants the Sky Marshall dead for reasons that are later explained, but a General and friend of Rico's (and boyfriend to Blalock, who crashed with the Sky Marshall) coordinates an rescue mission with a handful of Marauders (power-suits). Would you like to know more?

-Lego
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 09:03:49 pm by Legodragonxp »

Offline huggkruka

• Space Ace
  • Totally powers
    • View Profile
    • My Digitalart.org profile
« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2008, 02:48:31 am »
At least that plot sounds better than the horror/Aliens crap that was going on in the second one. I gotta say though, Casper Van Dien back in doesn't really matter. His inclusion in no.1 was because of his ridiculous Amurican looks and his ability to stare really angrily. Now if Verhoeven came back, or the SFX people...

Offline Dr. Croccer

• Vanguard Venturer
  • Ceci n'est pas un gueu
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2008, 07:53:37 am »
The movies are parodies of the book, that's obvious. In the book, the Bugs were intelligent and brutal and the soldiers were armed to the teeth and the entire plot was very grim. The entire government > people thing made sense back in the 50s, when the memory of the war was still fresh in memory. The battles echoed back to the battles in the Pacific, such as Iwo Jima.

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2009, 07:37:40 pm »
I've wanted to read for the books for a while now, but none of my book stores seem to have them, any of you guys know where the cheapest ones might be? Amazon?

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2009, 04:39:15 pm »
I've wanted to read for the books for a while now, but none of my book stores seem to have them, any of you guys know where the cheapest ones might be? Amazon?

http://www.amazon.com/Starship-Troopers-Robert-Heinlein/dp/0441783589/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1243381099&sr=8-1

There is only one book.

-Lego

Offline Magenti

• Zork Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 28, 2009, 03:39:20 pm »
I didnt read through the entire thread, just so you know.

First Starship troopers movie is brilliant, just a masterpiece. Second one was a disgrace.

Third one, even though it was made in the same style as the first one is not only written badly but has some of the worst actors you can find. If I went down the street and took the first person I could find, man, woman, child, dog to star as the role of rico, he she or it would perform better.

Thats just my opinion.
I love you Magenti, you are my hero!!
Kenobros confession!
Quote from: Kenobro on October 06, 2009, 01:41:48 PM
I suppose it's funny that you posted after me, because you are also female.  How coincidental.