Author Topic: Windows Vista Boot Problems?  (Read 2044 times)

Offline Arachoid

• Tempest Top Dog
  • A new musical revelation...
    • View Profile
Windows Vista Boot Problems?
« on: March 11, 2008, 12:16:40 pm »
Alright, I know this has nothing to do with PC games, but it does have to do with PCs, and I'm desperate for help.

Whenever I try to start my computer, it refuses to boot properly. The HP OEM screen pops up as usual, and so does Vista's boot screen (the snapshot of the Aurora screensaver with the faded edges). However, it does not say "Booting into Windows Vista..." or whatever it does normally upon starting.

Then the screen brightens up like the Vista orb is about to appear and light up, as if to illuminate my computer using experience. Righto.

Now here comes the messed up part: If I leave it sit, then nothing happens. The orb never appears, and the screen stays the same. But if I press enter and type in my password and whatnot, as though I were logging into my profile, the computer starts to really stress out, but the screen remains the same. If I leave it alone for a few minutes, the computer just restarts.

There is one way to make my computer work, however; if I put in a disc as it starts up, and then take it out as the drive makes noise as if to read it, it will automatically boot into my administrative, password protected, account. The Quickplay window pops up and begins to search for media, but I can exit that and use my laptop as normal.

Please help me. I'm desperate.

I say NO! to all limits.
Unfortunately, I don't think we're far enough into the Civ stage to have deveoped into the 'Infinite-ghz processing' research tree yet...

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
Re: Windows Vista Boot Problems?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2008, 12:36:25 pm »
That sounds a lot like an issue I had about eight months ago. The computer would be in that semi-locked state and I'd be unable to do anything. Sorry to say, but I could not find an answer for that issue at the time and upon another search I still haven't found anything that seems to apply to your case. My best advice would be to reformat the drive and start over. Those kinds of problems where the OS won't boot are either above my skill level, or above the amount of money I'm willing to pay to get the proper software.

Sorry I can't be any more help.

Offline DarkDragon

• Final Fantasy Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2008, 12:46:45 pm »
You might wanna check if something didn't change your disk boot priority in the BIOS, I had a similar problem with XP and something had switched my HDDs boot priority, so it was trying to boot from a disk with no OS on it, just a tip.
DarkDragon's Minecraft Survival Server (use this as the IP):

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

- The server uses a whitelist, if you're not on the whitelist (can't connect), PM me your minecraft name.

Offline Arachoid

• Tempest Top Dog
  • A new musical revelation...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2008, 12:48:50 pm »
Ohhhhhhhhhhh, I can't reformat!  :-[

My computer came with Vista, so I don't have the discs or anything! I would have no OS to use (Linux doesn't work).

What would the normal boot order for booting from the C:\ drive be? ???
I say NO! to all limits.
Unfortunately, I don't think we're far enough into the Civ stage to have deveoped into the 'Infinite-ghz processing' research tree yet...

Offline DarkDragon

• Final Fantasy Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2008, 01:50:37 pm »
it depends on how many disks you have and in which disk you have the OS. If you're computer came with the OS and it didn't include the disks, you've been ripped off, when you buy a computer you pay for the OS, and that includes the disks in case you need to reformat.
DarkDragon's Minecraft Survival Server (use this as the IP):

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

- The server uses a whitelist, if you're not on the whitelist (can't connect), PM me your minecraft name.

Offline Plank of Wood

• Final Fighter
  • Ka-Boom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2008, 08:12:06 am »
I called the Techguys, AKA, brought it down to PC World and let them hit it several times until it worked.

http://www.thetechguys.com/

They're pretty good.
the real saviour of this forum

Offline LadyM

• Mortal Kombat Konqueror
  • I'm not confused anymore
    • View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2008, 01:26:38 pm »
Did you make a recovery disk when you first got the computer? With Vista you have the option to do that and it's a good idea before you do anything else. If not, what about a backup? or a restore to a prior date?