0 (0%)
Develop Defences
5 (29.4%)
Improve Social
2 (11.8%)
Develop Social
3 (17.6%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Author Topic: Alternate Earth  (Read 12058 times)

Offline OathinBlood

• Fishing Derby Champion
  • Cthulhu Cultist
    • View Profile
    • Genesis - Spore Game Forum
Alternate Earth
« on: March 08, 2008, 08:55:32 pm »
Welcome to Alternate Earth, another evolution game to grace these forums. The thing that separates this particular game from the others though, is that it is in the same vein as The Future Is Wild and After Man - it follows the evolution of one species of animal existing today to the future and beyond. I will warn now that my knowledge of speculative biology and evolution only reach up to first-year university material and other things I've read (The Ancestor's Tale by Richard Dawkins is amazing). This is a game, and although I like to be realistic, I don't have any delusions of mapping an accurate tale of future evolution, which is impossible to do. So, without further ado...

Alternate Earth will be illustrated, though my computer isn't fully functioning at the moment. It's in safe mode, and as such, I can't draw, scan, and digitally colour like I usually do. Instead, I'm going to try my hand at drawing by mouse, probably in Paint, and colouring in Gimp. The art won't be extraordinary, unfortunately, but I think I have above average art skill. Alternate Earth will be a poll game, and spasmodically updated. I will never have update deadlines, and although I will try to give dates on which I will update by, knowing myself, I rarely follow them. So please, don't spam the thread telling me to update. I appreciate your appreciation, but telling me to do it isn't going to make it go any faster. Now, to the actual game.

Alternate Earth will follow the evolution of a particular species of animal on Earth currently existing - only in an alternate dimension. On March 7th, 2008, our current dimension will have given birth to a twin dimension, where everything is exactly the same, except for one crucial fact - humans will have vanished off the face of the earth. Their cities and constructs remain, except Homo sapiens will have just vanished, gone, forever. No bodies, nothing. Gone.

So, it's up to you guys to start the game. Pick a progenitor for our future race of alternatively evolved creatures. It can be anything, as long as a couple of you come to some sort of general consensus - say if five people agree on one animal. Any animal at all. An earthworm, a leech, an eagle, a platypus, a frilled shark, a jellyfish. Either pick a specific one, like a fire-bellied toad, or just say toad and let me pick out which one. Six creatures have already been suggested. Please vote for one above. The majority vote shall win and the game shall be updated tomorrow.

Quote from: Plank of Wood
It's a lot quicker to type normally than to move your finger over the shift button constantly, meaning you eat slightly more food in your life time. That extra food you have to eat could feed a whole nation of chinchillas!

Offline Neoskel

• Omega Racer
  • Wait, shouldn't there be 2 per larva?
    • View Profile
Re: Alternate Earth
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2008, 11:38:56 pm »
You didn't have to make a new thread to make a poll you know.

Offline OathinBlood

• Fishing Derby Champion
  • Cthulhu Cultist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2008, 12:41:30 am »
You didn't have to make a new thread to make a poll you know.
Oh. Well, I couldn't figure out how.

In any case, the Philippine Eagle has won. Expect an update soon.
It's a lot quicker to type normally than to move your finger over the shift button constantly, meaning you eat slightly more food in your life time. That extra food you have to eat could feed a whole nation of chinchillas!

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
    • KOSMOSIS CHRONICLES dA Page
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2008, 12:56:01 am »
What if we turn this one into a story thread? The other one can become the discussion thread. That way, we would have a very neat and organized archive right from the start. :)

Offline OathinBlood

• Fishing Derby Champion
  • Cthulhu Cultist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2008, 01:16:50 am »

Generation One - Philippine Eagle (Pithecophaga jefferyi)
The caws and calls of various creatures echo throughout the steamy jungles of Mindanao, a large island in the Philippines. The mountainside rainforests teem with life. Monkeys crawl through the ropy green canopies above, while smaller birds and snakes stalk the ground below. We reign supreme, the apex predators of the ecosystem. Screaming colugos, howling monkeys, hissing serpents, and growling wildcats - all fall prey to our razor talons and seven-foot wingspan. The only threat to us - those upright beasts, hacking away at the mother forest - are now gone, their cement edifices barren. We reign supreme.

The Philippine Eagles hold the niche of apex predator in their ecosystems, dwelling in mountainside rainforests. They live for thirty to sixty years, building a nest and mating for life. They are massive creatures, weighing up to twenty pounds with a twenty foot wingspan and immensely powerful muscles behind a tearing beak and ripping talons. Large monkeys, colugos, and even venomous snakes are all prey to us, though life is changing in the absence of the humans. If we don't keep up in this evolutionary race, the hunters could soon become the hunted.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2008, 06:16:18 pm by OathinBlood »

Offline OathinBlood

• Fishing Derby Champion
  • Cthulhu Cultist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2008, 01:19:11 am »
I'm still a little hesitant about the voting options. I want to keep them broad and simple, so I have more control over what actually specifically evolves, so things make more sense and are logical. Feel free to suggest more options or whatever.

I might make an archive, since I don't like the idea of breaking up the threads. I think it'd get too messy, but thanks for the idea.

Offline Neoskel

• Omega Racer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2008, 03:18:31 am »
I just want to note that lemurs are only found in Madagascar.

And 'flying lemurs' are not actually lemurs, but they are primates. Call hem Colugos.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2008, 03:21:44 am by Neoskel »

Offline Blarg

• Krull Slayer
  • HE'S BACK IN BLACK
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2008, 10:15:09 am »
I just want to note that lemurs are only found in Madagascar.

Well maybe before we died off we PUT them in the Phillippines, so there! Pfftt!  :P

Better to live like there was a God, then die and find out there isn't than to live like there wasn't a God then die and find out there is.

Christianity is a relationship, not a religion.

Offline OathinBlood

• Fishing Derby Champion
  • Cthulhu Cultist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2008, 12:35:25 pm »
Flying lemurs is their common name, but I'll use Colugos from now on. Thanks for pointing that out. There's a tie right now - if it isn't broken by an hour or two, I'll break it myself and update.

Oh, by the way - IMPROVE means to improve things which we already have. DEVELOP means to develop new things. So improve movement would make us better flyers, while develop movement might give us some small capacity to swim or walk or climb or crawl or burrow.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2008, 12:41:26 pm by OathinBlood »

Offline Neoskel

• Omega Racer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2008, 01:46:46 pm »
If its a tie, change my vote from improve hunting to improve intelligence.

Edit: Thats a pretty long hour or two...
« Last Edit: March 10, 2008, 08:23:09 pm by Neoskel »

Offline OathinBlood

• Fishing Derby Champion
  • Cthulhu Cultist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2008, 08:47:19 pm »

Generation Two - Unknown Dinaetochid
Mindanao has changed. Raging volcanic activity has increased the size of the island twofold, and pushed up the mountains at the centre of the island. Life has changed on the island - subtle changes, but changes none the less. The native colugos have diversified into several subspecies - one of them has evolved stronger jaws with three-pointed teeth, and feeds on rodents and insects on the forest floor. Another has tripled in size, a giant gliding giant with muscles strong enough to carry figs and coconuts in its claws. The primates are being slowly pushed out of the jungle by the ever-diversifying colugos, and several have already taken to inhabiting small caves in the vast jungle clearings that dot the island. There, they are easy prey for us. We have evolved as well, becoming terrifying giants of the sky. Our brain has seen one of the most rapid expansion rates in evolutionary history, almost tripling in size - the optical lobe alone has expanded almost 400%, giving us the fastest claw-eye coordination in all of Asia. Our bodies have grown, feasting off the giant colugos of the forest and the ground-dwelling monkeys in the clearings. Denser bone growth in our wings allows the very beat of our eight-foot wingspan to become a fearsome weapon, capable of knocking a human, were they still around, unconscious. A freak mutation has also helped us some, bending an unneeded wing bone outwards, turning it into a blunt spike. Interdimensional ornithologists have classified us as dinaetochids - roughly translating as 'terror eagles'.

These dinaetochids still hold the niche of apex predator on Mindanao. They are solitary predators, reigning across a massive and viciously defended territory. Their increased size and lessened dexterity has forced them to move from the dense mountainside rainforests of their ancestors, and into the more open forests around jungle clearings and the like. Their average life span is forty years, though some especially long-lived specimens have been seen to reach seventy. The trouble of making a nest large enough for two adult 'terror eagles' has forced the life-long mating of their ancestors into extinction. Reproduction is now a touch-and-go process, though the fledging death rate is rather high. Tyrants of their domain, nothing is challenging these terror birds.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2008, 11:45:01 pm by OathinBlood »

Offline OathinBlood

• Fishing Derby Champion
  • Cthulhu Cultist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2008, 11:47:45 pm »
Feedback people, feedback!

Sorry I took so long to update. I had it drawn for a while, but life got hectic so I wasn't able to colour it for a few days. Then I started colouring it and was nearly done when my computer rebooted suddenly. So after that, I finally did it AGAIN and got it uploaded.

I was doodling some stuff from my mind before and thought about this. I ended up drawing some sort of giant shark-like avian descended from our Philippine Eagle. It was pretty cool - sort of like killer penguin meets leopard seal.

By the way, both IMPROVE HUNTING and IMPROVE INTELLIGENCE won. I decided to be nice.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2008, 11:49:35 pm by OathinBlood »

Offline Xoatl_169

• K.C. Munchkin Maestro
  • Beast MODE!
    • View Profile
    • Twi Light
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2008, 12:53:28 am »
I really like the diagrams you did they show the small change between the two, when will we get more diagrams???? i do like diagrams so much.
http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Dimitri1only

Leave me some comments would you?

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
    • KOSMOSIS CHRONICLES dA Page
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2008, 01:55:12 am »
Nice! ;) The diagrams are a pretty good idea. That way, we could really get the feel that the creature is slowly changing and adapting to it's environment. :)

Offline Neoskel

• Omega Racer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2008, 12:17:05 pm »
In the picture where the 'Terror Eagle' is standing with its wings folded the bone spike should be at the 'shoulder' because of the way wings fold up. Cuz right now the wing diagram and the picture  disagree with each other.