0 (0%)
b
0 (0%)
c
0 (0%)
d
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Alternate Earth  (Read 2951 times)

Offline OathinBlood

• Fishing Derby Champion
  • Cthulhu Cultist
    • View Profile
    • Genesis - Spore Game Forum
Alternate Earth
« on: March 07, 2008, 09:05:04 pm »
Welcome to Alternate Earth, another evolution game to grace these forums. The thing that separates this particular game from the others though, is that it is in the same vein as The Future Is Wild and After Man - it follows the evolution of one species of animal existing today to the future and beyond. I will warn now that my knowledge of speculative biology and evolution only reach up to first-year university material and other things I've read (The Ancestor's Tale by Richard Dawkins is amazing). This is a game, and although I like to be realistic, I don't have any delusions of mapping an accurate tale of future evolution, which is impossible to do. So, without further ado...

Alternate Earth will be illustrated, though my computer isn't fully functioning at the moment. It's in safe mode, and as such, I can't draw, scan, and digitally colour like I usually do. Instead, I'm going to try my hand at drawing by mouse, probably in Paint, and colouring in Gimp. The art won't be extraordinary, unfortunately, but I think I have above average art skill. Alternate Earth will be a poll game, and spasmodically updated. I will never have update deadlines, and although I will try to give dates on which I will update by, knowing myself, I rarely follow them. So please, don't spam the thread telling me to update. I appreciate your appreciation, but telling me to do it isn't going to make it go any faster. Now, to the actual game.

Alternate Earth will follow the evolution of a particular species of animal on Earth currently existing - only in an alternate dimension. On March 7th, 2008, our current dimension will have given birth to a twin dimension, where everything is exactly the same, except for one crucial fact - humans will have vanished off the face of the earth. Their cities and constructs remain, except Homo sapiens will have just vanished, gone, forever. No bodies, nothing. Gone.

So, it's up to you guys to start the game. Pick a progenitor for our future race of alternatively evolved creatures. It can be anything, as long as a couple of you come to some sort of general consensus - say if five people agree on one animal. Any animal at all. An earthworm, a leech, an eagle, a platypus, a frilled shark, a jellyfish. Either pick a specific one, like a fire-bellied toad, or just say toad and let me pick out which one.

For starters, I suggest you visit one of my favorite blogs - Endangered Ugly Things. It has a list on interesting and endangered creatures, in all of the colours of the rainbow. And yes, I am Canadian. Colours, not colors.

Quote from: Plank of Wood
It's a lot quicker to type normally than to move your finger over the shift button constantly, meaning you eat slightly more food in your life time. That extra food you have to eat could feed a whole nation of chinchillas!

Offline Neoskel

• Omega Racer
  • Wait, shouldn't there be 2 per larva?
    • View Profile
Re: Alternate Earth
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2008, 09:18:55 pm »
My first vote would be for the Hoatzin

I'll change my vote if/when someone else suggests something more interesting.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2008, 09:23:00 pm by Neoskel »

Offline TaylorFlame

• Adventure Ace
  • LOOK A MUSLIM
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2008, 03:35:44 am »
Axalotl

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
    • KOSMOSIS CHRONICLES dA Page
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2008, 04:04:43 am »
Philippine Eagle a.k.a. the Monkey-Eating Eagle

Offline blitzonator

• Starcross Space Cadet
  • A pic from the galactic zoo. What is it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2008, 09:23:02 am »
Hmm. I'll chose... The Pacific electric ray.

Offline The Time Traveller

• Cobra Commander
  • Building a better yesterday tomorrow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2008, 09:25:18 am »
The American Ground Squirrel.
Warning: Hot.  Choking Hazard for children under 3.  Please do not exit until the vehicle comes to a complete stop.  EULA removes all human rights.  Special features are not rated.  Side effects include  cardiac arrest and spontaneous falling off of body parts.  May contain nuts.  Acts are being performed by trained proffesionals.  Results not typical.  Thank you for flying with United Airlines.

Offline Detoxicated

• Pack M.U.L.E.
  • Spirit of Monkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2008, 10:33:03 am »
i like platypus:)
OK, both of you die and let us know what happens.

Offline OathinBlood

• Fishing Derby Champion
  • Cthulhu Cultist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2008, 07:41:01 pm »
Alright, let's stop putting in options and start agreeing with each other. We have six creatures - two birds, an amphibian, a fish, and two mammals. They all have the capacity to be really interesting - now I just need at least two people to agree on one. The majority wins, and the sooner you agree, the sooner I can update.

The Hoatzin, a primordial South American bird.

The Axolotl, a neotenic cave-dwelling Mexican salamander.

The Philippine Eagle, a massive and powerful predatory bird from the Philippines.

The Pacific Electric Ray, a large electric ray from the north.

The American Red Squirrel, a small and numerous North American mammal.

The Platypus, an amphibious Australian monotreme.
It's a lot quicker to type normally than to move your finger over the shift button constantly, meaning you eat slightly more food in your life time. That extra food you have to eat could feed a whole nation of chinchillas!

Offline The Time Traveller

• Cobra Commander
  • Building a better yesterday tomorrow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2008, 08:04:02 pm »
If the nominator counts, I vote American Red Squirrel.
Warning: Hot.  Choking Hazard for children under 3.  Please do not exit until the vehicle comes to a complete stop.  EULA removes all human rights.  Special features are not rated.  Side effects include  cardiac arrest and spontaneous falling off of body parts.  May contain nuts.  Acts are being performed by trained proffesionals.  Results not typical.  Thank you for flying with United Airlines.

Offline Cyst

• Space Harrier
  • V 3 $ T H 3 T I C /// 新鮮な盗まれたアート
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2008, 08:39:55 pm »
I vote for the Philippine Eagle.
DEATH TO DAESH! In solidarity with Rojava!
-----------
Oh come now, Lurk.

The internet is a magical place, where linguistic and dialectic possibilities are endless. Why not embrace those variations and see where they lead you.

Offline OathinBlood

• Fishing Derby Champion
  • Cthulhu Cultist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2008, 08:54:10 pm »
Actually, I'm making a new poll thread. Please continue further discussion, and voting/revoting in there.