Author Topic: Magnificent new video, so good it is spoiler-ish even!  (Read 34408 times)

Offline Ultramarine

• Bungeling Bay Raider
  • Whatever.
    • View Profile
Re: Magnificent new video, so good it is spoiler-ish even!
« Reply #90 on: February 28, 2008, 06:55:47 pm »
PURE AWESOMENESS!!
*Ahem* sorry couldn't hold it in anymore ;D!
Wish there was more though :-\.

(and audio wouldn't have been bad either.)
Kid: Oh wow I'm being deflowered by a grown woman!
Mother: By the way I'm your mother
Kid: OH GOD NO

EDIT: That's where it becomes rape if you were wondering.

ヽ(`∇)人(∇`)人(`∇)ノ   (゚д゚; )

Offline 762

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 28, 2008, 07:15:52 pm »
did you guys miss the part where he linked to his website with a complete video and sound?
http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=11627.msg494539#msg494539

It's in German though, and the civ and space phase are just pictures we've already seen, so it's not even really worth the download (if you don't speak German, that is).

Spore countdowns: USA Europe

Offline Notorious B.O.B

• Venture Conqueror
  • I still live!
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 28, 2008, 07:19:14 pm »
Gorramit, for some reason the downloadable version doesn't work for me!  GAAAH!! I want to see the whole video!
Leave to a Thark his head and one hand and he may yet conquer.

The glass is alway in balance and full: half liquid, half gas.

Visit my Sporepedia page! http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Bob_Of_Mars

Offline Netherflare

• Time Pilot Trekker
  • Peski's > You
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 28, 2008, 07:29:23 pm »
SPOREGASM!

How many months now? Too long...  ;D
I Want Patience, and I Want It NOW!

Peskitoriantais - http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=5046.0
Violandro - http://violandro.myminicity.com/

Offline Sporegonian

• Boot Hill Bandit
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 28, 2008, 07:29:48 pm »
Like someone else pointed out earlier, the way creatures walk worries me.  Remember the care bear back in '05, how it waddled as it walked? Those two-legged creatures in tribal seemed to glide and their legs just extended underneath them.  I thought they had fixed that a little when we saw that winged creature and the first epic, but it seems it's reverted back to unnatural movement...

Offline Classeye

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 28, 2008, 07:53:31 pm »
Like someone else pointed out earlier, the way creatures walk worries me.  Remember the care bear back in '05, how it waddled as it walked? Those two-legged creatures in tribal seemed to glide and their legs just extended underneath them.  I thought they had fixed that a little when we saw that winged creature and the first epic, but it seems it's reverted back to unnatural movement...

There will always be hiccups,

especially in a procedurally generated game.

Thank maxis that we won't have to deal with realistic collision detection.

P.S. this isn't the finalized game

Offline Lippy

• Galaga General
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 28, 2008, 08:08:06 pm »
Unfortunately I think the walking animations have to do more with the movement speed number, and less with how the creature is actually built.  It could be for several reasons.  Perhaps they just couldn't get the animation system to work reliably with all the different configurations.  But the more plausible reason would be that they found that users would ultimately always make a fast moving creature, and it could always get in and out of every situation, ruining balance.  By putting in movement speed based on which feet you buy for it, you force the user to have to buy the movement speed, and end up making it more visible to the user at the same time. 

This means that the legs end up moving weird because in order to look right with the movement speed, the legs have to move however fast or slow the creature's feet says it should move.  This creates the gliding walking animation.  And also, since there's several different sizes of the same creature, from babies to adults to epic, this movement speed needs to be adjusted on the fly, and can't rely on how the creature's legs are positioned, or those epic creatures would be beyond the clipping plane, and eating your corpse in under 3 seconds flat.  :o  Of course that's all speculation.

Yes it could just be that the game isn't finished yet...but I've seen this same walking animation since 2006...and if they haven't "fixed" it since then, I don't think it will be "fixed" because I think that's just how it works now.

Offline Classeye

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 28, 2008, 08:14:37 pm »
Yes it could just be that the game isn't finished yet...but I've seen this same walking animation since 2006...and if they haven't "fixed" it since then, I don't think it will be "fixed" because I think that's just how it works now.

well if it really is a problem that will not be fixed, the only option we have is to live with it and move on.

Offline Notorious B.O.B

• Venture Conqueror
  • I still live!
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 28, 2008, 08:24:06 pm »
Unfortunately I think the walking animations have to do more with the movement speed number, and less with how the creature is actually built.  It could be for several reasons.  Perhaps they just couldn't get the animation system to work reliably with all the different configurations.  But the more plausible reason would be that they found that users would ultimately always make a fast moving creature, and it could always get in and out of every situation, ruining balance.  By putting in movement speed based on which feet you buy for it, you force the user to have to buy the movement speed, and end up making it more visible to the user at the same time. 

This means that the legs end up moving weird because in order to look right with the movement speed, the legs have to move however fast or slow the creature's feet says it should move.  This creates the gliding walking animation.  And also, since there's several different sizes of the same creature, from babies to adults to epic, this movement speed needs to be adjusted on the fly, and can't rely on how the creature's legs are positioned, or those epic creatures would be beyond the clipping plane, and eating your corpse in under 3 seconds flat.  :o  Of course that's all speculation.

Um....no....its because its unfinished.  We had the same system of feet= movement speed score last year, and generally, the walking animations were crappy and unrealistic and 'gliding', but in recent times, the body movements are generally more lively and natural....so, the reason they're bodies don't seem to sway all that much is because the developers still be workin' on the game, not because of speed.  Granted, when all is said and done, the way those creatures walk may not be tremendously different, but it will definitely look better.
Leave to a Thark his head and one hand and he may yet conquer.

The glass is alway in balance and full: half liquid, half gas.

Visit my Sporepedia page! http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Bob_Of_Mars

Offline Lippy

• Galaga General
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 28, 2008, 08:49:13 pm »
The creatures and the editors are the cornerstone of the game.  It's what they've shown the most, and they've been researching and working on the procedural animation systems before they even decided they could pull it off.  One would think they would have gotten it to work the way they wanted it to by now...and what I'm saying is that they HAVE gotten to work the way they want it, and that's what we see in this video.  Whether its because of the movement speed, or balancing issues, or that's just how that particular creature ended up moving, it doesn't matter...I'm pretty sure that what we see of the creature movements in this video is what we'll get in the final.  They've only got a few months before the creature editor gets released, and if they want to bring those creatures into the game, they better have the animation system working at 100%.   

Go look through the movie again though.  The running animations still look pretty good.  The fishing animation works well.  The pole doesn't seem to go through his body too badly.   Dancing is a bit spastic, but it works.  Attacking animations look good.  Idle animations are good.  The stunned gargoyle like creature stumbles back and forth realistically.  And they even fall down rather well. 

And if you look in the background right about the time the blue guy collects the skeleton and starts to scavenge the big carcass...it looks like there's a floating creature floating across the ground.  It could be that its legs are really small and we can't see them, but it might be "flying" around.  That animation looked pretty good too, from what little I saw of it.

Offline Null

• Tempest Top Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 28, 2008, 09:26:43 pm »
I don't see anything wrong with having a fictional creature walk a little odd, because it is not like we have a base to compare that creature to here. How am I supposed to know how some of these things are supposed to walk like.

Offline KL0k

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 28, 2008, 09:26:53 pm »
i bet it just depends on the legs and feet you pick. simple as that thou.

Offline Classeye

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 28, 2008, 09:48:18 pm »
One would think they would have gotten it to work the way they wanted it to by now...and what I'm saying is that they HAVE gotten to work the way they want it, and that's what we see in this video. 

as convinced as you seem to be, everything said here can only be speculation until it comes out.

games have been known to change a month or two before release

Offline Pixxel

• Robotron Automaton
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 29, 2008, 04:11:26 am »
SPOREGASM!

How many months now? Too long...  ;D

hm.. moonths? nah days... 189 ^^
If you stop and think about it, Your life's longer as an old guy than a kid. Scary o.o

Offline Skyward

• Ballblazer Plasmorb
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 29, 2008, 04:43:25 am »
well those worrried about walking animation, each piece offers a new animation, so a more bendy leg will walk oddly but one of the ones with a joint will have a normal animation
Hell, Skyward Descent is pure win!
Quote from: Captain
I kill you in the name of DELICIOUS!