Author Topic: Magnificent new video, so good it is spoiler-ish even!  (Read 30280 times)

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
    • KOSMOSIS CHRONICLES dA Page
Re: Magnificent new video, so good it is spoiler-ish even!
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2008, 05:30:46 am »
I LOVE- MUST GET SPORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o

Those cells in the background are huge! :D But if you think about it, why was there already grass on the planet? ??? Shouldn't all the life on the starting planet come from that meteor?

Offline KL0k

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2008, 05:40:22 am »
a planet gotta have an atmosphere, otherwise theres no chance a lifeform can evolve on it (at least, as far as i know)

Offline Lippy

• Galaga General
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2008, 05:42:54 am »
Finally we see some eating of other creatures again.  I was worried that they might have changed it more than just removing blood, but it looks fine.

Can't wait until we get the entire video, and some sound.   Thanks Mudder! 

Offline xnodas

• Frogger Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2008, 05:44:07 am »
The meteor probably killed everything that was living when it came down, or at least just about everything.
This is going to be good. I'm not sure how they say the cell stage would last a full hour, they were moving up the scale pretty quick. Regardless, this game is full of awesome.

I was sad that they didn't use the creatures tail-spit attack when they were fighting those winged guys. I couldn't see if there was an option to.
You might have to go down a lot in order to get to the creature stage. There was some huge creatures in the background even when he was basically starting out.
"Tell me what you cherish most...give me the pleasure of taking it away." Final Fatasy VII: Advent Children

Offline DarkSkies

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2008, 06:27:57 am »
awesome video, now waiting on the hi res version with sound

Offline Rubric

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2008, 06:42:46 am »
Wow, there are some great scenes there. 

Unfortunately, this is yet another video that stops short of actually showing anything of the Civilization phase, but it's still good stuff. 

The Cell phase looks more interesting than I had imagined.

Offline uj

• Phoenix Fighter
  • Let's roll!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2008, 07:37:22 am »
Awesome vid.

Things of the top of my head I want to say:

General:
-confirmed: opening sequence with a meteor crashing into your home planet
-confirmed: you find creature parts in the game world
-The editors are still awesome.

Cell:
-The cell phase looks more interesting then I thought it would be. I might play in regularly as a fast arcade game when I don't a lot of time and I want to play something light.
-The cell phase has a somewhat annoying flashing every time your creature eats something. I hope I can turn this off in the options.
-It still cracks me up that flow was originally seen as a simple clone of the cell stage but then Maxis copied flow by making you grow and go down while facing tougher creatures and you can initially see the big creatures in the background.

Creature:
-Creatures can be enemies of each other as opposed to every hostile NPC being hostile to the PC but not hostile between themselves(we somewhat knew this from GDC 2005 but many things changed since then. a recent confirmation is great). This is an important dynamic that sets Spore's creature phase apart from many other RPG's.
     -You can play as a scavenger, eating what other creatures have killed.
     -You can try avoiding a predator by going near a different strong creature(eg: a zebra taking it's chances crossing a croc infested river to avoid a lion)
     -Presumably this means NPC creatures are themselves players in the ecosystem that need to eat, survive and reproduce. This sets it apart from other games. eg. in WoW hostile creature usually just stand in one place or patrol the same are. When you go near them they attack you. Thats it. They don't have any kind of "life" to them. In Spore I can imagine myself flying to a planet on my ship and just watching creatures go about their business, or follow one creature and see it's story unfold as it tries to find food, avoid predators and find a mate.
-a part for ranged attacks other then "spit".
-status effects: @4:28 the winged creature on the far right gets some kind of "stun". It stops fighting and gets stars circling above it's head.
-You can fight with a pack but can only directly control your avatar creature.

Tribe:
-You can control your tribe like in an RTS.
-The dancing animations look good.

My predictions for Spore.

1) No water creatures at initial release. I was right about this even when the fanboys were denying it.
2) No composite limbs at initial release. eg. Buttface; attaching a limb to a limb to... Update: Prediction was incorrect. Buttface is in!
3) Spore will outsell the Sims and be the best selling game of all time until something better comes along.

Offline Shadowgandor

• Scramble Skipper
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2008, 07:47:16 am »
Wow...just wow.
This was a great vid, I loved it :P
Seriously, I loved it when those 2 big creatures were fighting, those were ordinary creatures I think 0.o

Offline Rubric

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2008, 07:56:03 am »

Yes, that was cool. 

Heh.... true, but what exactly was that?   Poop rockets?

Offline tompayne

• Microvision Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2008, 08:12:00 am »

[/quote]

dont know, but it reminded me of those creatures from starship troopers
Soylent Green is people.

Offline Notorious B.O.B

• Venture Conqueror
  • I still live!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2008, 08:14:12 am »

Yes, that was cool. 

Hhehehe.  that's what I said when I first saw it.... "Holy cow, it poops flames!

This is going to be good. I'm not sure how they say the cell stage would last a full hour, they were moving up the scale pretty quick. Regardless, this game is full of awesome.

I was sad that they didn't use the creatures tail-spit attack when they were fighting those winged guys. I couldn't see if there was an option to.

They didn't use the...tail-flame-ball attack...on the winged guys 'cause it was a different creature altogether, and it didn't have that thing on its hind end.  Apparently the user decided to change their creature before going into the stage.

Did any of you notice, when the players 6 legged creatures were ighting the winged bipeds, there was a fire in the background?  I believe that was the creature stage, therefore, there shouldn't be any 'player-made' fire...so, does this mean there are wildfires?!  That would be interesting!
« Last Edit: February 28, 2008, 08:29:46 am by Notorious B.O.B »
Leave to a Thark his head and one hand and he may yet conquer.

The glass is alway in balance and full: half liquid, half gas.

Visit my Sporepedia page! http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Bob_Of_Mars

Offline Cyrus

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2008, 08:26:24 am »
Definitely looks cool, I guess my only reservation w/ the opening sequence is that I didn't really want to see my planet as a whole until I got far enough into civilization that my species would be able to see it, for that sense of discovery as I progress through the campaign.  But I imagine we might have to pick our planet in the beginning or something anyways.
Looks like even I was being optimistic with a March 07 release date...

Offline Len84

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2008, 08:28:29 am »
Awesome video Mudder, thank you for taking the time to do that :)

Danke!

Offline darkwanderer

• Astrosmasher!
  • Step into the dark
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2008, 08:36:16 am »
that was so cool, especially the boss battle in the background between the two giant creatures, which i dont think were epics, but were as big as creatures can get for normal sizing

also it seems that with all the vids and screeens we have gotten, the planets are definately massive
« Last Edit: February 28, 2008, 08:38:06 am by darkwanderer »

Offline Veraal

• Zelda Zealot
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2008, 08:46:02 am »
*faints*