Author Topic: Analysts predict 3 - 5 million in sales  (Read 4045 times)

Offline Sub

• Time Pilot Trekker
  • End is tough.
    • View Profile
Analysts predict 3 - 5 million in sales
« on: February 18, 2008, 06:30:46 pm »
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/81546-Analysts-Expect-3-to-5-Million-in-Spore-Sales

I don't think that analyst views hold any water, but it's interesting none the less.

Offline mrodgers

• Choplifter Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Analysts predict 3 - 5 million in sales
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2008, 06:33:02 pm »
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/81546-Analysts-Expect-3-to-5-Million-in-Spore-Sales

I don't think that analyst views hold any water, but it's interesting none the less.

Seems like a reasonable number for the product life if it lasts as long as the Sims or SimCity.
Check out my (Thurlin's) creatures, building, and vehicles.  You won't be disappointed.

http://www.spore.com/flash/csa_widget.swf?userid=2263477425&username=Thurlin&host=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.spore.com%2Fview%2Fuser-thumbnail

Offline Gungnir

• SunDog Pilot
  • Bbrrrraaaaaiiiiinnnnssss
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2008, 07:11:26 pm »
I wonder how many copies will be pirated...

Seriously though, don't pirate this game! They worked hard. I'm definitely gonna pay for it.

*wonders*
Pirated copies may not have the Massively-Single-Player thing though

Offline Sub

• Time Pilot Trekker
  • End is tough.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2008, 07:18:44 pm »
You're probably going to need to sign into an account to play the game.  I'm sure they'll be a workaround, but it might take a while and half the fun of the game would be removed (Since you can no longer connect to EA servers).

Offline 762

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2008, 07:31:41 pm »
Remember all those times trolls made up "news" that EA was thinking of cancelling Spore? :D :D

Spore countdowns: USA Europe

Offline Lurker28

• Missile Commander
    • View Profile
    • Ordus inferi - Age of Conan Guild
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2008, 08:11:26 pm »
I wonder how many copies will be pirated...

Seriously though, don't pirate this game! They worked hard. I'm definitely gonna pay for it.

*wonders*
Pirated copies may not have the Massively-Single-Player thing though

I have it pre-ordered, but I will pirate it to make sure I have the game before it is out....hahha :D

Edit: I predicted that spore in it's first year will sell 1 million DS versions, 5 million PC versions, and 100,000 cell phones (if that). However, over the life of Spore on the PC I think it is going to surpass WoW in terms of actual unit numbers. (More then 10 million)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2008, 08:15:19 pm by Lurker28 »

Offline Spore-addict

• Kaboom Boomer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2008, 08:38:13 pm »
call of duty 4 has sold something like 7 mio. copies..

I think its gonna beat everybody from last year.

But since it dont come on xbox360 and PS3 it will not sell just as good.

It is just a fact that the big konsoles is where the big money is.
Master Raytracer Spore-addict = KarmaCowboy

See you out there, feel free to comment my creatures.

Offline xnodas

• Frogger Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2008, 09:10:21 pm »
Actually I think that this guy might be right on the money. This game is a huge step for games in itself, but I don't think there are as many people that would wnat to play a game like this. The Sims people will of course have to at least try it. I will give it a million more copies than what this guy said, but I actually think that this game won't break 10 mil.
"Tell me what you cherish most...give me the pleasure of taking it away." Final Fatasy VII: Advent Children

Offline Legendary

• Breakout Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2008, 10:22:33 pm »
xnodas, i've mentioned this game to two girls, neither of whom are gamers. One of these girls told me "I hate the Sims, I hate the concept behind it, and I'm not gonna play it."

Both of them want it. Both think it's gonna rock. If word of mouth spreads, then this game will do INCREDIBLY well, because even my grandmother would love this baby.

Offline gutwrencher89

• Star Castle Cadet
  • NO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2008, 10:27:17 pm »
It will sell well as long as they don't charge people for downloads.  At least thats a vague rumor, hopefully they won't make that mistake.

Offline Lurker28

• Missile Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2008, 02:05:04 am »
xnodas, i've mentioned this game to two girls, neither of whom are gamers. One of these girls told me "I hate the Sims, I hate the concept behind it, and I'm not gonna play it."

Both of them want it. Both think it's gonna rock. If word of mouth spreads, then this game will do INCREDIBLY well, because even my grandmother would love this baby.

And we know how good women are when it comes to word of mouth...look at Tittytanic

Offline Lurker28

• Missile Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2008, 02:06:18 am »
It will sell well as long as they don't charge people for downloads.  At least thats a vague rumor, hopefully they won't make that mistake.

they are not going to charge people for downloads, they will charge for new content....which is normal and nothing special. I highly doubt we are going to see a crap ton of expansions like the Sims series. We are going to be seeing micro transactions and maybe one expansion.

Offline Woulfe

• Wizardry Whiz
  • 40 Years Of Pop-culture
    • View Profile
    • Spore Sillyness Site
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2008, 05:35:32 am »
3 - 5 mill sounds about right, after all how many people know about SPORE ?

It's not like there was this huge Super Bowl ad for it, even if there was there wouldn't have been a release date attached to the ad anyway.

Granted I'm sure any day now there will be TV ads all over announcing that it's coming out for the PC / MAC / etc etc etc

Then more folks will know about it I'm sure, but what % of them would be curious enough to go to http://www.SPORE.com to check it out ?

- W -
* pondering *

Offline xnodas

• Frogger Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2008, 06:36:18 am »

I'm not saying everyone who doesn't like the Sims won't buy the game, it is just that there are a lot of peope who will think of the Sims when they see this game advertised and not want to get it because they don't like this kind of genre all together.  I wouldn't be overly surprised if this game does sell two or maybe even three times as much copies as predicted here. If the game can covert the masses of people that only play sports games to try and fall in love with this game then it will do great, thats why Halo 3 was so huge because of Halo 2 spread like wildfire in its later years. The majority of gamers now is sports gamers, and a lot of those people don't search the internet for new types of games like Spore. MOST.
"Tell me what you cherish most...give me the pleasure of taking it away." Final Fatasy VII: Advent Children

Offline econundrum

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2008, 07:08:07 am »
Actually Iíd expect a large advertising campaign for spore to start around the beginning of August. I would think some TV advertising since EA is seeing it as one of itís most important hi potential future franchises. I think itís also ideal for targeting a wider audience than typical video games.

Personally in the mid to long term I expect spore to dwarf the Sims as a successful franchise, it has much broader appeal in my opinion and the potential for a lot of spin off merchandising, e.g. EA selling 3D models of your creature to you and other related merchandising opportunities.

Not to mention the potential to sell expansions that add parts and/or editors. And thatís before you figure in the potential spin of products such as licensed modelling and animation software, model exporters for Maya and 3D Max formats, etc.

Spore is clearly defining a new genre, and really will unleash player creativity in a whole new way. EA are going to be laughing all the way to the bank believe me, analysts are always conservative and cautious in their estimates. How many Analysts for instance predicted the insane success of World of Warcraft?
"The direct use of force is such a poor solution to any problem, it is generally employed only by small children and large nations."

David Friedman.

http://www.spore.com/view/profile/econundrum