Author Topic: Spore Preview @ Gametap  (Read 6860 times)

Offline WrathPhoenix

• Brain Games Mastermind
    • View Profile
Spore Preview @ Gametap
« on: February 18, 2008, 07:00:58 am »
Very little in the way of 'new' information, but still an informative and interesting read. Gametap has reviewed Spore http://www.gametap.com/home/read/article/3843

I like the phrase "To Infinity and beyond!" and its suiting for spore :P

But one interesting part of the article is where it talks about things hidden in the game. They discuss the ole 'nessy' easter egg in the old sim city game... Interesting to think about what kind of things might be hidden out there. We know of earth, but it sounds like they are stressing the fact that the amount of easter eggs in the game will be quite large...

Also take note that in part two he discusses that the editors are usable outside the frame of the game. But he mentions that there are only four editors that they saw (Creature, Vehicle, Building, UFO). And there is also mention that the flow of content to the sporepedia server is done via the FLIP OF A SWITCH. Meaning those who want to turn the content sharing on and off may have the option to do so.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2008, 07:06:16 am by WrathPhoenix »

Offline Brutus

• Ice Climber
    • View Profile
Re: Spore Preview @ Gametap
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2008, 07:03:49 am »
cool

edit: i was right about their being a boss race that you must defeat in someway, but i never thought they'd be robots.

maybe their whats at the centre of the galaxy.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2008, 07:12:45 am by Brutus »
Never mind your own business.

Offline Notorious B.O.B

• Venture Conqueror
  • I still live!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2008, 08:01:16 am »
cool

edit: i was right about their being a boss race that you must defeat in someway, but i never thought they'd be robots.

maybe their whats at the centre of the galaxy.

I thought they were the big important race that stands in between you and the center of the galaxy, not what was in the center itself.
You know, I'm actually not surprised about them being robots.  I mean, Doesn't WW love robots with a passion?
Leave to a Thark his head and one hand and he may yet conquer.

The glass is alway in balance and full: half liquid, half gas.

Visit my Sporepedia page! http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Bob_Of_Mars

Offline SpaceOddity

• Vanguard Venturer
  • Europan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2008, 08:14:27 am »
There's more interesting details in this preview: you can opt to stay in a stage you like, even after you've met the requirements for the next one. And there's some detail about city building, factories need to be set off by entertainment buildings to keep your critters happy. Not surprising but still, it's good to have these things confirmed.  :)
<<<< Click to enter.

Offline plastik

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2008, 08:29:15 am »
There just has to be a Llama planet somewhere.. or maybe a Llama solar system, where all of the planets are inhabited by peaceful Llamas. Most Maxis games have Llama references somewhere.

Offline WrathPhoenix

• Brain Games Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2008, 08:37:57 am »
There's more interesting details in this preview: you can opt to stay in a stage you like, even after you've met the requirements for the next one. And there's some detail about city building, factories need to be set off by entertainment buildings to keep your critters happy. Not surprising but still, it's good to have these things confirmed.  :)

Hence why I said very little rather than "None". However what this means to me is that there is more micromanagement in the game than simply plopping a city down and having at it. That is exciting because it means that there are definitly some deeper "4x" issues that could come into play later when you have several colonies on several planets ect.

Offline The Time Traveller

• Cobra Commander
  • Building a better yesterday tomorrow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2008, 09:00:19 am »
Did anyone else consider the comparison between the cell stage and Insaniquarium odd?
Warning: Hot.  Choking Hazard for children under 3.  Please do not exit until the vehicle comes to a complete stop.  EULA removes all human rights.  Special features are not rated.  Side effects include  cardiac arrest and spontaneous falling off of body parts.  May contain nuts.  Acts are being performed by trained proffesionals.  Results not typical.  Thank you for flying with United Airlines.

Offline WrathPhoenix

• Brain Games Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2008, 09:07:12 am »
Not really, seems plausible.

Offline The Time Traveller

• Cobra Commander
  • Building a better yesterday tomorrow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2008, 09:13:10 am »
Have you played Insaniquarium?  It's a game where you play as someone outside of a fishtank, and you click on the fishtank to drop food pellets for the fish.  Additionally, aliens come in that you kill by clicking.  How is that similar to the cell stage?
Warning: Hot.  Choking Hazard for children under 3.  Please do not exit until the vehicle comes to a complete stop.  EULA removes all human rights.  Special features are not rated.  Side effects include  cardiac arrest and spontaneous falling off of body parts.  May contain nuts.  Acts are being performed by trained proffesionals.  Results not typical.  Thank you for flying with United Airlines.

Offline MTCason

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2008, 09:14:51 am »
I wonder, if the Grobb are what lies at the heart of the galaxy, if defeating them gives access to cybernetic/robotic parts for creatures?

Offline SporeForSure

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2008, 09:19:06 am »

Well, Will said earlier that they base the different races on Startrek like "the klingons and the borg".
”It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring” (Dr. Carl Sagan)

Offline Therlun

• Fire Truck Driver
  • Hope and Hate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2008, 09:20:58 am »
What about the last screenshot with a star map and  coloured lines and circles... is that a known feature? (Political influences?)
If so I havent seen it yet...
Change is being.

Offline WrathPhoenix

• Brain Games Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2008, 09:52:53 am »
Insaniquarium is quirky, random, and has a lot going on at the screen. I doubt the comparison was made to dictate the playstyle of the game more than the general feel. And the cell phase seems to be just like that. Its not the gameplay from insaniquarium no, but I can see how he would make the comparison.

And hey, aliens are likely gonna try to jump out and kill you at random in spore too. =)

Offline Lualmoba

• Zaxxon Zealot
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2008, 09:53:17 am »
What about the last screenshot with a star map and  coloured lines and circles... is that a known feature? (Political influences?)
If so I havent seen it yet...

I think that's your spice trade network.

Offline DarthZahl

• Akalabeth Addict
  • There's no escape from mankind!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2008, 09:54:57 am »
Well, Will said earlier that they base the different races on Startrek like "the klingons and the borg".

Hihi... Grobb...Borg... I'm seeing no similarity at all ;D

And yeah: There HAS to be a llama-planet!