Author Topic: FAQ Suggestions (work in progress)  (Read 72968 times)

Offline Scipion

• Stargate Superstar
  • Returned from the grave, now with more immunities!
    • View Profile
FAQ Suggestions (work in progress)
« on: March 21, 2005, 04:33:10 am »
I give credit to Huasat for starting this, so don't shank me when I put your stuff up here.

Q. Who is devloping Spore?
A.
The game is currently in the hands of Maxis/EA Games.

Q. When will Spore be released?
A.
No release date has been umm...released. So far there is nothing official hinting at any time frame. The game did seem near completion minus a few thing (ie. sound).

Q. Do you require internet to play?
A.
No, although having one would greatly increase the longevity and enjoyment of the game, as it allows you access to all the custom content created by other players. However, as Will Wright stated during the demonstration: "we can include tens of thousands of creatures on the CD for people who don't have internet access."

Q. How does your creature evolve?
A.
The general consensus is by eating. Eating gains you "evolution points" after enough you lay an egg, and can then modify your creature. To what extent you can change your creature is unknown.

Q. Can you make a species of creatures sentient without leaving the water?
A.
No ones sure. This wasn't brought up in the demo so your guesses are fair game. Some poeple have mentioned SimEarth and how life worked in that game.

Q. Can you make a vegetarian creature.
A.
This wasn't brought up in the demo, but I believe it was mentioned you earned evolution points when you ate food.

Q. Can you create a [insert whacky idea for creature]?
A.
The creature creator is apparently extremely dynamic and versatile, using a sophisticated version of the Sims creation software seen in The Sims 2. Beings ranging from the reptilian, tail-handed tripod created by Will Wright, to the infamous Carebear where seen during the demonstration. Depending on how whacky your idea is, it seems likely that you'll be able to create something at least approximating it.

Q. Are the items customizable?
A.
Unsure on this one. Everything else in the game seems to be either created or generated by the computer dynamically. This leads us to believe you can. That and when Will's UFO visited the other planet the creatures there wielded tridents (possible edited form of the spear? maybe).

Q. Can you customize plants?
A.
It was mentioned in the demo that certain plants where player created. So yes.

Q. How will the creatures who are added to your world be decided?
A.
In the demo Will Wright said the computer would pick and choose what to add. What this means we don't know, but we have been garnering ideas.

Q. What does the UFO do?
A.
Wright called it the "Swiss Army Knife" of the Spore universe. The Demo demonstrated that you can fly all over the universe and contact other life forms, terriform planets, and many other things.

Q. Will you be able to domesticate lower life forms?
A.
Maybe, no official word on this. Considering it's just a change in behavioural patterns, I lean towards yes.

Q. What happens when you die?
A.
We don't know, it was never brought up in the demo.

Q. Is Steve cool?
A.
Yes.

Q. C4n eye h4x0r m4h p3t5?
A.
Don't speak like that, and the situation on cheats is in the dark too. Previous Maxis games have all had cheats, how this will work with an online database of creatures is unknown.

Q. Can I play with a modem?
A.
Of course! The files sizes are insanely small, thanks to a mathmatics based engine. A single creature types is roughly 1k in size.

Q. Who owns my creature?
A.
It's almost guaranteed that all creative output of Spore will be owned by EA one way or another.

Q. Can my creature fly?
A.
This wasn't mentioned in the demo, so the jury is still out.

Q. Will I be able to play in the same galaxy as my friend and show him how awsome my skills are?
A.
No, the game is singleplayer. There is a central database which collects creatures/buildings/objects/tools/etc stores them, and distributes them to other players. How this works is similar to somehting called the "demo scene" that's all the info we have on it.

Well, that's a good chunk. Please add more everyone! Remember to keep posting your ideas about all of these topics and more.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2005, 08:53:19 am by Scipion »

-Just like Gaming Steve all of my ideas, suggestions, and comments are merely edjucated guesses. These are based on prior experience and current released info.-

Offline Lord Janos

• Wizardry Whiz
    • View Profile
Re: FAQ Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2005, 08:53:16 am »
Q. What type of game is Spore?  Is it an MMO?  Do I have to pay monthly?
A. Spore is a single player game which takes its data from an online "library" which consists solely of player data.  So while perhaps one of the most important aspects of Spore is how everything is basically player-created and designed (for the most part), it is not an MMO.  No monthly fee will be charged, once you buy the game, that is the only fee you will need to pay (Expansion packs not-withstanding).

Offline Jayce

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2005, 10:00:39 am »
Some good info in there though I would remove the one referring to the male genitilsá ;)

I know it's ben discussed here and left alone but I don't think (I am sure I will be corrected if I am wrong) we want to encourage it too much which sticking it in a FAQ will only do. People will discover on their own and from others what they can make.

I would re word it to say that you can make any shape you can imabine and copy any shape you have seen before or words to that affect.

I'll be back in a bit and will just check the others and help sort out any mistakes (not that my spelling is any better  ;)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2005, 10:09:29 am by Jayce »

Offline craigp

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
    • Perkwiki
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2005, 10:34:55 am »
Technically, it just LOOKS like the Sims 2 content creator. It's very unlikely to have the same code base, except on the most shallow graphical level.

If you want the FAQ to have any real professionalism, you'll edit out all your opinions and leave it just as facts. :)

-Craig

Offline Jayce

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2005, 10:48:23 am »
Technically, it just LOOKS like the Sims 2 content creator. It's very unlikely to have the same code base, except on the most shallow graphical level.

If you want the FAQ to have any real professionalism, you'll edit out all your opinions and leave it just as facts. :)

-Craig

Aye we will want it to contain just what we know to be true though we could have a colour coded one with one colour for facts and one colour for guesswork.

Offline happydan20

• Venture Conqueror
  • Discovered the "everything syndrome."
    • View Profile
Re: FAQ Suggestions (work in progress)
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2005, 11:53:00 am »
There is no way for us to know theres no monthly fee...  since every house creature object will have a certiank to it... whats to say you dont pay 5 dollars for the ability to download this much k of stuff...

the thing is we just don't know
I survived the flood of 2008 and all I got was this crappy homelessness.

Offline Lord Janos

• Wizardry Whiz
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2005, 12:00:32 pm »
There is no way for us to know theres no monthly fee...  since every house creature object will have a certiank to it... whats to say you dont pay 5 dollars for the ability to download this much k of stuff...

the thing is we just don't know

Then you don't download it.  It's not an MMO, therefore it won't have a monthly fee, and if it does - it will be optional.  Quote me on this, i'm 99.99999% sure of it - not out of knowledge, but just because it's obvious.  If there is a potential monthly fee this would've been stated at the presentation.

Offline happydan20

• Venture Conqueror
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2005, 02:10:33 pm »
I disagree completely, Will Wright is a creator not the publisher of the game, the LAST thing he would discussis the cost, he doesn't decide that.

And IF they were planning on a fee outside of the original box that would be the LAST thing they'd talk about...  Games need hype before they go gold...  That would be a major hype killer.

I'm not saying I think they will, I'm pointing out possibilities, and mine are just as valid as anyones as we are all equally in the dark.

Offline Lord Janos

• Wizardry Whiz
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2005, 02:33:41 pm »
Of course.  I'm just saying mine will prove to be right, that's all ;).

Offline Scipion

• Stargate Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2005, 07:05:07 pm »
When I was in SWG: Beta they didn't talk about hwo much it was to pay, or really if you had to (we all assumed you did). They like to keep people in the dark about these things.

p.s. No more walking genitals...
-Just like Gaming Steve all of my ideas, suggestions, and comments are merely edjucated guesses. These are based on prior experience and current released info.-

Offline Tarious

• Adventure Ace
  • FINISH HIM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2005, 07:19:10 pm »
When I was in SWG: Beta they didn't talk about hwo much it was to pay, or really if you had to (we all assumed you did). They like to keep people in the dark about these things.

p.s. No more walking genitals...

O man and i was going to make a joke about EA owning all content and if everyone just had walking genitals creatures, then all they'd own was a bunch of genitals lol.

but anyways on topic

Q. What does the UFO do?
A. Wright called it the "Swiss Army Knife" of the Spore universe.

It should be added to

Q. What does the UFO do?
A. Wright called it the "Swiss Army Knife" of the Spore universe. The Demo demistrated(sp?) that you can fly all over the universe and contact other life forms, terriform planets, and many other things.

Then add another question.

Q. Where can i find out more about this game?

Then post for the answer all the links in the spore link info post.

Offline Scipion

• Stargate Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2005, 07:22:13 pm »
Steve did you change my title  ;). I know I didn't put the (work in progress) there, hehe.

Offline happydan20

• Venture Conqueror
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2005, 07:42:39 pm »
I don't see anything of that nature in your thread or avitar

Offline Scipion

• Stargate Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2005, 07:50:31 pm »
-----------------------------------------/\ I didn't type that

Offline happydan20

• Venture Conqueror
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2005, 07:57:22 pm »
LOL thanks for the arrow
Gotcha now:)