Author Topic: Impressions about the new screenshots  (Read 1946 times)

Offline HarvesteR

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
Impressions about the new screenshots
« on: February 15, 2008, 06:28:00 am »
hi again...

i was going through the most recent screenshots of Spore, and i noticed some interesting stuff...

first of all, the GUI appears to have been completely redesigned, which IMO is a very good thing... i was fearing that Spore was on a downhill path to a 'The Sims' like style... but it seems they've sprung out of that

also the new architectural styles in those new shots were really refreshing... until now, i only found pictures of rounded, cartoonish looking 'bubble-buildings', and i was starting to think that the whole visual of the game would stick to that...
now there are more 'realistic' (although stylized) cities and buildings in these shots, which, for me, are very welcome additions

take a look at this shot here... it illustrates my thoughts much better than i can voice them:

i'm very happy that spore is taking this turn into what IMO is a much better visual solution

EDIT: one bad thing i just noticed is the lack of shadows... hopefully they'll get that working before the game is out

Cheers

HarvesteR
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 06:30:31 am by HarvesteR »

Offline Petike

• Stargate Superstar
    • View Profile
Re: Impressions about the new screenshots
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2008, 06:58:39 am »
first of all, the GUI appears to have been completely redesigned, which IMO is a very good thing... i was fearing that Spore was on a downhill path to a 'The Sims' like style... but it seems they've sprung out of that
Funny that you say that, because the UI that you posted is almost fully based on The Sims. There are character icon squares on the left side, "..." sign for options, and the camera controls are exactly looking the same....

BTW your screenshot was probably made long before than the others.
Since that, there is a different UI, and shadows.

Quote from: MasterChiToes in "Spore was dumbed down"
Maybe the Sporons are the ones that got dumbed down?  ;D

Offline darkwanderer

• Astrosmasher!
  • Step into the dark
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2008, 07:15:53 am »
perhaps the ui can  be customized hence the broad range of looks?

Offline plastik

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2008, 07:23:23 am »
Shadows are optional in most games, as is the HDR rendering effect seen in the shot Petike kindly posted, which creates a more realistic 'glow' around objects which reflect bright light. You'll notice the jagged edges and low detail on objects in both screenshots, and I expect that this is what you'll get with a lower end graphics card. It's not something to be worried about though, because screenshots always exaggerate graphical issues, many of which you won't notice when the game is actually running. The newer GUI in the second shot is looking much more like what you'd expect in the final version.

Offline Lippy

• Galaga General
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2008, 07:26:43 am »
perhaps the ui can  be customized hence the broad range of looks?
I don't think so.  I think the broad range just shows how much work they've been doing tweaking the game. 

And the new effects and shadows show that they're definitely not keeping the fact that they want people with older computers be able to run it get in the way of adding extra graphics settings for the people who DO have computers that can handle all of the better enhancements.

Offline HarvesteR

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2008, 08:45:27 am »
i realized that the GUI changes significantly as you move from one stage to another... that would explain the many different versions we are seeing

Offline strawberry

• Boot Hill Bandit
  • 2008/09/05
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2008, 10:09:42 am »
Shadows are optional in most games, as is the HDR rendering effect seen in the shot Petike kindly posted, which creates a more realistic 'glow' around objects which reflect bright light. You'll notice the jagged edges and low detail on objects in both screenshots, and I expect that this is what you'll get with a lower end graphics card. It's not something to be worried about though, because screenshots always exaggerate graphical issues, many of which you won't notice when the game is actually running. The newer GUI in the second shot is looking much more like what you'd expect in the final version.

For the demos, official screenshots, press screenshots and stuff like that, like in this case, game developers and companies never use bad graphic cards, that would be quite stupid if they want people to see the game at his best.
BUT you are right, screenshots always exaggerate graphical issues. When the graphics are moving in front of your eyes in your own computer, you don't notice that kind of stuff at all.
Games become deeply personal artifacts... like dreams.
Will Wright

Offline KL0k

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2008, 10:20:10 am »
i could bet all the differences between the screenshots of the last 3 yrs just depend on a single matter: there were like 10 prototypes of the game till WW said "okay, this is it".

Offline Lurker28

• Missile Commander
    • View Profile
    • Ordus inferi - Age of Conan Guild
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2008, 10:24:28 am »

For the demos, official screenshots, press screenshots and stuff like that, like in this case, game developers and companies never use bad graphic cards, that would be quite stupid if they want people to see the game at his best.
BUT you are right, screenshots always exaggerate graphical issues. When the graphics are moving in front of your eyes in your own computer, you don't notice that kind of stuff at all.

I think as of right now these are the "best" graphics in the game, but many features probably are bugged or have not been implemented. Spores graphics will never be that of gears of war or assassins creed, that is not what spore is about. The graphics are clean, stylized, and easy on the eyes...this is perfect, almost like viva pinata, but more interesting.

As for UI being like the sims...actually if you have noticed already Will uses a lot of the same GUI systems throughout his games, even before the sims. The only recent change was the original sims and sim city four with introduction of a more "bubbly" interface.

Offline strawberry

• Boot Hill Bandit
  • 2008/09/05
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2008, 10:37:53 am »
I think as of right now these are the "best" graphics in the game, but many features probably are bugged or have not been implemented. Spores graphics will never be that of gears of war or assassins creed, that is not what spore is about. The graphics are clean, stylized, and easy on the eyes...this is perfect, almost like viva pinata, but more interesting.

I am in agreement with you. And let me tell you a secret: I enjoy playing some games of the late 80's/early 90's nowadays as if they where brand new. Why? Because if a game is special, if it entertains me and makes me be in another world... graphics don't mean ****.
When you have been playing more than half an hour you are only playing with the game itself, you leave behind the graphics because you get used to them and build the world you are playing in in your own imagination, in your mind.

BTW... Spore graphics may not be comparable to Crysis...but they are GREAT for their purpose.
Games become deeply personal artifacts... like dreams.
Will Wright