Author Topic: An itch about the creature stage i can't seem to scratch.  (Read 6750 times)

Offline Gorman Conall

• Space Ace
    • View Profile
An itch about the creature stage i can't seem to scratch.
« on: February 14, 2008, 11:40:39 pm »
The creature stage will no doubt be my favorite part of the game. Being able to take my created creatures into the world and interact and fight and hunt sound so fun to me.

So far everything i have seen about that stage has made me even more excited..but something came up thats been bothering me.

You see..i don't want all the other creatures on the planet to shuffle around a  general area like mobs in MMOs.

Something i believe has never been talked about is..do they roam/hunt/interact/breed. If they didn't i would be mighty disappointed. I want them to have to eat and stuff to not just sit there and attack me if i come close you know?.

Offline SBD

• Duck Hunter
  • It stands for Ship-Borne Dive bomber, people.
    • View Profile
Re: An itch about the creature stage i can't seem to scratch.
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2008, 12:55:01 am »
I'd also like to know if other creatures only evolve when you do.

Offline xnodas

• Frogger Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2008, 01:56:50 am »
You are the farthest in the evolution in your game. If you do not interact and have a pack of your creatures, I don't see that computer being in pacts. But after you mate with a creature and start a hunting pack so will the creature, and I am sure it will then be hard to find single creatures.
"Tell me what you cherish most...give me the pleasure of taking it away." Final Fatasy VII: Advent Children

Offline Fobok

• Fishing Derby Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2008, 02:40:33 am »
You see..i don't want all the other creatures on the planet to shuffle around a  general area like mobs in MMOs.

Something i believe has never been talked about is..do they roam/hunt/interact/breed. If they didn't i would be mighty disappointed. I want them to have to eat and stuff to not just sit there and attack me if i come close you know?.

Well, in one recent interview (I honestly can't remember which one, there's been so many lately), it was mentioned that you might come across two other species fighting each other, and that you can wait until it's over and collect the spoils after. So, obviously there's some interaction happening.

Offline Brutus

• Ice Climber
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2008, 03:02:35 am »
i am just hoping you get lone creatures to pick on, it seems like you won't be able to have lone anuimals to attack so you won't have to worry about the 30 of his friends following him around.
Never mind your own business.

Offline darkwanderer

• Astrosmasher!
  • Step into the dark
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2008, 04:58:01 am »
nah all creatures will be simulated like a proper eco system, with some lone ones going off to wander and prey, while the more herd oriented ones will stay together in packs

Offline HarvesteR

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2008, 05:39:19 am »
i think i remember seeing one of the early spore videos demonstrate this (not explicitly though...)
i remember seeing that 6 legged yellow-ish creature sneaking into a pack of other creatures to steal an egg from their nest or something
or was it the other way around? i'm not too sure

the point is that i do recall seeing creatures other than your own roaming about in packs, so there definately is some logic to what other species are doing

i don't think that after all the effort maxis put into this whole 'eco-system' thing, they would let their creatures roam around erratically
actually, now that i think of it, i remember Will Wright talking about food chains and balanced ecosystems in the very first spore video...

i honestly believe there must be a high level of AI-driven behaviours for you to see and interact, if not, Spore will be a major dissapoitment for me, at least during the creature phase at least

Cheers

HarvesteR

Offline Lippy

• Galaga General
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2008, 05:46:31 am »
And to add to what HarvesteR said, I think in part 2 of the 2 part interview videos, they mentioned how a lot of their testing was in seeing how far the AI creatures would take themselves in their different behaviors and restricting them from becoming too weird or too unbalanced.  That, to me, means that they would probably have some pretty complex AI behaviors. 

Offline darkwanderer

• Astrosmasher!
  • Step into the dark
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2008, 05:51:12 am »
the biggest part of sprore for many is the creature phase, so i doubt theyd make it have bad AI, just watch the videos and pay attention to the surrounding creatures instead of the main creature, and youll see what i mean

Offline Gorman Conall

• Space Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2008, 09:38:01 am »
You guys relieved my mind a bit. I just want them to function like creatures and not static objects for me to get DNA off of. Though..i guess they would have to hunt because if you were a herbivore you have to be threatened some how.

Heres hoping to a new video at GDC that might show some of the AI a bit.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 09:49:26 am by Gorman Conall »

Offline KL0k

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2008, 10:14:48 am »
at one of the demonstrations, will ran around with his creature trying to get to a creature he can mess with, the one he found was to hard, so he left to find a smaller one, but then the smaller creature cried for help and they attacked like a pack of wolves, so he fleed again to search for a nest and eggs.

so i think theres definitly some difference in all the species u encounter throughout the creature stage

Offline strawberry

• Boot Hill Bandit
  • 2008/09/05
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2008, 10:21:21 am »
at one of the demonstrations, will ran around with his creature trying to get to a creature he can mess with, the one he found was to hard, so he left to find a smaller one, but then the smaller creature cried for help and they attacked like a pack of wolves, so he fleed again to search for a nest and eggs.

so i think theres definitly some difference in all the species u encounter throughout the creature stage

QFT.

And I saw a video where they said when you lay the egg or other member of your creature "team" does it, if there is a carnivorous creature near it (or omnivorous) they will try to eat them. The same way, you will see very pacific herbivore creatures that go in packs and only attack if you attack first, or predators that will try to eat you.

Don't worry, I am sure the AI will be interesting enough to keep us entertained
Games become deeply personal artifacts... like dreams.
Will Wright

Offline emmet

• Street Fighter Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2008, 10:29:38 am »
Was reading a (very recent, this week) article about the game, it was one of the popular ones mentioned here. They writer said that when his tribe briefly left their village some bigger creature came in and stole their food supplies.
No way dude, you're trolling me.

Offline Yannick

• Tetris Tumbler
  • The end is nigh
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2008, 12:19:43 pm »
I remember reading or reading somewhere that every creature will react towards every other creature as if it was a player. So, packs may form; you might see breeding, etc...

"It's only your virginity, loosen up!"

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2008, 12:33:55 pm »
Was reading a (very recent, this week) article about the game, it was one of the popular ones mentioned here. They writer said that when his tribe briefly left their village some bigger creature came in and stole their food supplies.

That would make sense. Look at bears in real life. heck i could even see smaller raccoon or rat size creatures raiding your food in tribal.

Perhaps you could domesticate guard animals to protect your food supplies. Or at least put one of your people on guard.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 12:36:01 pm by Hydromancerx »