Author Topic: "New" Interview with Will Wright by N'Gai Croal  (Read 8002 times)

Offline ilikesanta

• Karateka Krazy
  • '06 Time Magizine Person of the Year
    • View Profile
"New" Interview with Will Wright by N'Gai Croal
« on: February 12, 2008, 12:14:34 pm »
N'Gai Croal has a great interview with Will Wright about his game and why it took so long:Part 1 Part 2

And 2nd interview with Producer Lucy Bradshaw about the DS, Mac, and Mobile versions.

I'm about halfway threw it, no ground breaking info but some good insight on the development and it gives you a chance to swim around in Will's big brain.

I need a new tag.
My Spore Creatures

Offline Sub

• Time Pilot Trekker
  • End is tough.
    • View Profile
Re: "New" Interview with Will Wright by N'Gai Croal
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 12:27:30 pm »
Good stuff.

I'm pretty sure all the major game sites got to take a look at the game recently too, so we should be seeing articles by them once their embargo lifts.

Offline darkwanderer

• Astrosmasher!
  • Step into the dark
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2008, 12:48:20 pm »
We found it was so fun,  we've actually built this little kind of harness where Brian and our sound engineer could play around with the underlying levers on the procedural engine. This is one of those things that became so fun to play with, we decided we had to surface it the player. So in the game right now, when you're designing a city, one of the things that we allow you to do is open this little device and compose your own theme song for your city--

Wow.

--and it's actually using the procedural generator. So I can hit the "roll the dice button," and it generates a new procedural melody with rhythm, or I can actually grab the notes, and if I want to even put in my own tune on the notes. We've basically turned the procedural music generation into its own little toy and embedded that within the game as well.

hell yes!

Offline Sub

• Time Pilot Trekker
  • End is tough.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2008, 01:01:19 pm »
Damn you.  I was about to post that :P.  What a cool idea, and I imagine other players will hear that music when approaching your city.

Offline happydan20

• Venture Conqueror
  • Discovered the "everything syndrome."
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2008, 01:06:48 pm »
i hereby predict that everyone will either have a starwars or zelda theme
I survived the flood of 2008 and all I got was this crappy homelessness.

Offline TFGoose

• Missile Commander
  • Made of 100% All-Natural Win
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2008, 01:24:53 pm »
i hereby predict that everyone will either have a starwars or zelda theme

Don't forget Star Trek.  Will himself made a UFO that looked unquestionably like the Enterprise in the NASA video, and they've already given several references to certain characteristics of the different species resembling races from that universe.

--TFGoose
Quote from: me
Where there's a Will, there's a way....

Offline Borogove

• Venture Conqueror
  • mimsy: adj. - flimsy and miserable :(
    • View Profile
    • Meyermike.com
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2008, 01:30:32 pm »
We found it was so fun,  we've actually built this little kind of harness where Brian and our sound engineer could play around with the underlying levers on the procedural engine. This is one of those things that became so fun to play with, we decided we had to surface it the player. So in the game right now, when you're designing a city, one of the things that we allow you to do is open this little device and compose your own theme song for your city--

Wow.

--and it's actually using the procedural generator. So I can hit the "roll the dice button," and it generates a new procedural melody with rhythm, or I can actually grab the notes, and if I want to even put in my own tune on the notes. We've basically turned the procedural music generation into its own little toy and embedded that within the game as well.

hell yes!
I haven't been this excited about the game since the GDC '05 video!!!  This calls for many exclamation points.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Use those talents you have. You will make it. You will give joy to the world. Take this tip from nature: The woods would be a very silent place if no birds sang except those who sang best.
-- Bernard Meltzer

Check out my games:  http://www.meyermike.com

Offline Mr. Consideration

• Goddess of Phobos
  • Merry Christmarx, one and all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2008, 01:34:33 pm »
That was a great interview.

It makes Spore seem like some fantastic work of art, in comparison to a revolutionary game. Then again, when will games be accepted enough to also be considered art?

And, Oooh, Brian Eno.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2008, 01:37:40 pm by Mr. Consideration »
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone elses opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." - Oscar Wilde

Yes, I am aware of the irony.

Offline Pixxel

• Robotron Automaton
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2008, 01:43:58 pm »
ohh.. procedural music generators, i'm going to have fun composing my theme song ^^
If you stop and think about it, Your life's longer as an old guy than a kid. Scary o.o

Offline darkwanderer

• Astrosmasher!
  • Step into the dark
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2008, 01:44:23 pm »
i wonder what the music engine will be like... i hope itll be in the format of the other editors!

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2008, 02:57:22 pm »
Wow! Pokemon-like Creature battles on phones! I wonder if they will have that for the PC or Mac versions too.

Offline huggkruka

• Space Ace
  • Totally powers
    • View Profile
    • My Digitalart.org profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2008, 03:15:29 pm »
Damn you.  I was about to post that :P.  What a cool idea, and I imagine other players will hear that music when approaching your city.

Same  :D  That is just so great, and the way they came up with it is very similar to how Sim City was created...gotta love Will Wright.

Offline Gauphastus

• Ice Climber
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2008, 03:24:31 pm »
We can make our own little tune?
I loved that feature in Animal Crossing DS, even if it was pretty dang short.

Damn, that's cool.
I'ma read the rest of this stuff.
"Ma all the gods of furious strong be with you as you crunch opposents, and live like a windrammer as you f**k."
       ~Ricky Wangstrom

Offline Beatnuki

• Scramble Skipper
  • Wilco Hex, reporting for duty!
    • View Profile
    • Beatnuki's Chunk of Funk (which seemed like a good idea at the time)
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2008, 03:52:03 pm »
I can subscribe to Sporecasts, which are aggregations of content that players have decided to basically organize themselves.

This bit of the interview intrigues me.  :) Unless I'm misinterpreting it, it seems a whole group of players could get together and collaboratively decide how they want their play experiences to be. So this means, for example, there are probably going to be groups of players banding together in these Sporecasts to, for example, collectively recreate a Star Wars scenario for themselves and each other, or dedicate themselves to collaboratively creating a realistic set of creatures and the like for each other, or anything else. Awesome!
If you peruse my things, you get POINTS!
http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Beatnuki

Only trouble is, they're Whose Line Is It Anyway points, which are infamously not worth anything.

Offline Vinnie

• Space Invaders Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2008, 04:01:00 pm »
Spore has a difficulty setting  ;D!

I always was a tiny bit afraid that it wouldn't be challenging enough. But not anymore :p.

Offline Notorious B.O.B

• Venture Conqueror
  • I still live!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2008, 04:48:59 pm »
I can subscribe to Sporecasts, which are aggregations of content that players have decided to basically organize themselves.

This bit of the interview intrigues me.  :) Unless I'm misinterpreting it, it seems a whole group of players could get together and collaboratively decide how they want their play experiences to be. So this means, for example, there are probably going to be groups of players banding together in these Sporecasts to, for example, collectively recreate a Star Wars scenario for themselves and each other, or dedicate themselves to collaboratively creating a realistic set of creatures and the like for each other, or anything else. Awesome!

Wow, I didn't interpret it that way, but that would be cool!
Leave to a Thark his head and one hand and he may yet conquer.

The glass is alway in balance and full: half liquid, half gas.

Visit my Sporepedia page! http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Bob_Of_Mars

Offline ilikesanta

• Karateka Krazy
  • '06 Time Magizine Person of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2008, 06:06:12 pm »
Wow! Pokemon-like Creature battles on phones! I wonder if they will have that for the PC or Mac versions too.

Sounds like that will be on the DS version too. t'll be interseing to see how those versions will turn out.
I need a new tag.
My Spore Creatures

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2008, 06:09:54 pm »

Same  :D  That is just so great, and the way they came up with it is very similar to how Sim City was created...gotta love Will Wright.

I think this is a great idea! No to mention Gec was kinda doing this with the fan community. So now everyone can be a musician, not just people with musical talents :D

Offline Blarg

• Krull Slayer
  • HE'S BACK IN BLACK
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2008, 06:49:58 pm »
My little brother (the musical genius) is going to be spending more time on the music than he is on the creature editors. I can feel it in my bones.

Better to live like there was a God, then die and find out there isn't than to live like there wasn't a God then die and find out there is.

Christianity is a relationship, not a religion.

Offline rustybrazenfire

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2008, 06:42:48 am »
They mention that you can jump right into any phase at the beginning... that's HUGE!

Offline Kcronos

• Boulder Dasher
  • The Dark Time Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2008, 07:30:16 am »
AHhhh!  Eep!  Oh!  EEr!  Argh!

YAY!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I have nothing else to say.  Pure win!
* Plank of Wood slaps

GET A HOLD OF YOURSELF MAN. THE REVIEWS DO NOT EFFECT ANYTHING EVER.

QFT

Offline Quantum Burrito

• K.C. Munchkin Maestro
  • Up, Down, Strange, Charm, Top, Bottom, Burrito
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2008, 07:42:27 am »
They mention that you can jump right into any phase at the beginning... that's HUGE!

It's also OLD. Keep up!
Quote from: The Will
In a movie, one can always pull back and condemn the character or the artist ... But in playing a game ... we can be encouraged to examine our own values by seeing how we behave within virtual space.
tl;dr. But with all those shiny symbols and numbers it's probably awsome.

gec05

« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2008, 07:47:05 am »

I think this is a great idea! No to mention Gec was kinda doing this with the fan community. So now everyone can be a musician, not just people with musical talents :D

Hey, perhaps my little idea inspired them to do so. :D

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2008, 10:23:34 pm »

Hey, perhaps my little idea inspired them to do so. :D

I would not be surprised at all.