Author Topic: Dwarven Fortress Bloodline game! discusion thread  (Read 15565 times)

Offline Celdur

• R-Type Force Pod
  • :33
    • View Profile
Dwarven Fortress Bloodline game! discusion thread
« on: February 08, 2008, 11:25:09 am »
so i thought we could try making a bloodline game
since DF is so hot right now

bloodlines means that people take 'turns' by sharing the save file(like boatmurdered)
the turns usualy take a year

so..should we do this? or is it a bad idea
could be a LOT of fun ;D

Quote from: Krakow sam
That quote is actualy very witty, Celdur. I suggest you use that in your signature.

Offline Mr. Wizard

• Karate Champ
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Fortress Bloodline game! discusion thread
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2008, 03:22:44 pm »
I'll Join then. But I want to be one of the first to handle it, that way if I the Fortress survives my turn, it will hopefully be passed on to better hands :D

Offline Luminar

• Gyromite Gyro
  • i'm losin' it
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2008, 03:29:53 pm »
Didn't we have one of these before that flubbed? Anyway, i'm too inexperienced so out of manners or perhaps mercy i'm passing on this one. I'll be sure to watch, though.

Offline Celdur

• R-Type Force Pod
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2008, 03:33:17 pm »
no i dont care how bad you are! its fun if you have problems
if you have only experts playing the game it will be dull

we could just pick an easy location
we dont have to go into mordor or whatever

and the other one failed because people didnt pass it on

That quote is actualy very witty, Celdur. I suggest you use that in your signature.

Offline Veraal

• Zelda Zealot
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2008, 04:12:08 pm »
I guess i could join...
Im not good, so prepeare for consequences.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2008, 07:02:39 pm »
You have my axe!
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Celdur

• R-Type Force Pod
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2008, 05:20:59 pm »
wizard is making a world now...we have to wait until he has it all sorted out

who wants to go after wizard?

Offline Neoadept

• Fooblitzky Fooble
  • Has a nice hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2008, 06:16:30 pm »
I might be able to join, I'll just have to see if Toady can put out that mac port soon enough.  Without it I can only play on the weekends.
Nefarious?  Nearly.  Neer-do-well?  Never!  Neither nearly names this narrator.  Naive and knowledgeable, notorious and inscrutable, this nascent Nero is known naturally as Neoadept.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2008, 06:49:35 pm »
I'll go after wizard, I guess.  :)

Offline Samog

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • objectivists are dumb
    • View Profile
    • -
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2008, 02:52:34 pm »
I am very interested in joining your corporation, please find my resume enclosed.
"Fine. Don't believe me. I'm not lying. all your laziness which you mistake for something funney is driving me insane, quit fooling around!  dude this is just wrong, very wrong. reality does not consist of constrained language. go lock this thread malt. I love the payment."4MOD

Offline Celdur

• R-Type Force Pod
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2008, 03:23:08 pm »
i need to smack wizard in the face 1st

he needs to make the damn fortres!  ::)

Offline LadyM

• Mortal Kombat Konqueror
  • I'm not confused anymore
    • View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2008, 12:33:13 pm »
Samog is back!!!  :)

Offline Mr. Wizard

• Karate Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2008, 01:07:50 am »
In the realm of  Xesororukzza Snn

The Journal of "MrWizard" on the lost Settlement of Boltscomet, Circa 1051.

Excerpt 23:
"So, they ask me to build them an outpost. They being my superiors back home. Thought they could get rid of me for a while by sending me to some forgotten corner of the realms. I better make the best of it then. I pointed my  miners at a wall, they started digging. I grabbed my axe, and had fun cutting down the elf wives. I sent the boring old codgers to fish."

Excerpt 42:
"We expanded the ponds out front, Hopefully they wont dry up, otherwise we'd have to build a tunnel down to the brook in the valley, and the Miner's are already giving me dirty looks. The godforsaken elf wives are thinning, won't have any more of them around when I'm done. Fortress itself is coming along alright, we just have the laziest miners in the realms.

Note: Search for internal water sources, looks for tools to harness them"

Excerpt 72:
"Stupid heat. Stupid water. Our ponds have dried up before we could siphon the water away. The pits will serve as safe farms, but the lazy farmers wont plant nothing. They all just want to go fishing. Miners have at least picked up the slack.

Thank the Gods we brought extra ale."

Excerpt 80:
"We hit some damp stone today. Didnt want to break through, we'll just dig over it and release it with a channel. May be an underground river, may just be some wet rock. We'll find out.  In the mean time, we ditched the tunnel to the brook and just built several stairs leading down. Cheaper and quicker, and the miners stopped sharpening their picks whenever I was in the vicinity.

It's like they forget about my axe or something."

Excerpt 85:
"Tried to dig over the wet stone, only to hit more yet stone. If we try to push forward, we may end up unleashing a river in the place. So I ordered my miners to dig up again. I thing digging in this spot was a mistake, should have gone higher and looked for some proper gray toned stone. This brown stuff just looks like hard dirt more than anything. Well dig up until we can cross the patch of wetstone, Then just keep expanding in that area. The brown stone just has to small an area thats livable for a proper fortress. We'll relocate the buildings as soon as we can, and then maybe crack the wall and use it as an instant flood on any intruders. We'll build straight up, and have another exit through the mountains. We might get more traders that way, they'd be able to use us to get deeper into dwarven lands. So would our enemies...

The crafts dwarf made me a bed. I have a bed now. I am as happy as an elf kissing his wife."

Excerpt 102:
"A few fat tubs of lard decided to make our outpost their home. I wasnt expecting them at all. We barely had enough food as it was. To top things off, one of my miners trapped himself in a tunnel we were sealing off, and died shortly after digging his way to freedom. The newbies had a miner, so it evened out, and favor's on my side. Of course the remaining miners don't agree, but they're there to poke dirt till they die, so who cares. The indoor watersource wasnt finished as a result, and doesnt look like it will be finished at all this year."

Excerpt 109:
"Seems a elfin-runt dwarf wrote enough 'Dear Mama' letters back home that the powers that be are sending a repleacement. So be it, I dont have the talent  for this. I'll just keep a hand on my axe and an eye always open. I'd like to see how this all ends, but only if i'm the last one to witness it.

Also, those slugmen better hope I never find a layer of salt..."

----------------------------------------

And so ends the first year of Boltscomet. I dint get much done, I always seemed to run into some obstacle that I didnt want to test for fear of running the whole thing into the ground. And something always came up. Whether it was the ponds drying while I was tring to get at their water or the blasted mountain which seems to have nothing but water in its base. I threw my hands up it the air and decided to relocate as much as I could. Only it was slow going as it was like trying to build two fortresses at the same time. The map is fine, you'll just be making heavy use of the z direction. The path that finally goes over the wet rock will eventually (once those workers get to it) have a channel cut across it, which will also break through to the underground water. Remember to build a bridge over it or the fortress will be cut in half. Currently there is lodging for 8. Food stocks are abysmal, but I noticed a few started to farm so that should be fixed in a bit. The constant building in the Z direction may be confusing, so get your bearings before trying anything major. I actually think that because of those surprise immigrants it may drive the small fortress into the ground. (no pun intended)

I named the axedwarf after myself. He kills a lot of goats.

The walls were made of beds, yet they slept on the ground for 4 months before I built them beds.  :D

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2008, 03:20:07 am »
Kewl... although you probably should have noticed you were picking a site with an aquifer  :P

No matter. How are handling the transfer of the files? Anyone know a convenient filehosting site or are we going to have to mail each other stacks of floppy disks like in the olden days? :P

Offline Celdur

• R-Type Force Pod
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2008, 05:36:14 am »
email sounds the easiest

although if you want to use an upload site thats ok

its krakow`s turn now and after that its mine i guess

Offline LadyM

• View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2008, 06:07:03 am »
So are each of you going to do a journal on your adventure, that would be cool.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2008, 05:33:22 pm »
The Journal of Krakow Sam:

22: Father today recieved word from the outpost Boltscomet that the outpost coordinator was unpopular and in need of replacement. I am all for the ousting of unpleasant oiks from their positions of power, but for some reason I am to travel to the dingy place and take on the job myself! Despite my protestations it is impossible to change my father's mind about anything, so it is settled. I leave the Greathall in three days. Bah!

24: The road to the outpost is thick with traffic from the Limestone Wire Pass and I must endure endless starts and stops as we inch slowly toward our destination. The humans who built these shoddy roads should be swiftly crushed under the hammer of dwarven might, not coddled with trade agreements! The weather grows warmer as we slowly crawl south, this heat does nothing for my mood! Pshaw!

to be continued...

Offline Mr. Consideration

• Goddess of Phobos
  • Merry Christmarx, one and all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2008, 09:34:58 am »
The Journal of Krakow Sam:

He sounds like a Dwarven Prince Phillip....
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone elses opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." - Oscar Wilde

Yes, I am aware of the irony.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2008, 11:38:40 am »
29: After many days of travel I arrive at the fortress. The place is surrounded by reeking mud flats haunted by vile abominations resembling the progeny of man and snail! The heat weighs down on me like a hundredweight of lead. I found 'Mr Wizard', the previous outpost coordinator, asleep on a table muttering about elves. I immediately roused him and ordered him back to work.

30: The indignity!!! I was forced to haul furniture with my bare hands due to the laziness of the other dwarfs! The fortress is a shambles and no-one seems to be doing anything except fishing. I ordered that the fortress be moved further uphill, some twerp decided to start digging on an aquifer!

33: Who put Mr Wizard in charge I have no idea! I found he had ordered his subordinates to drag stone to some arbitrarilly determined cliff. I soon put a stop to that!

35: On entering the area of the fortress which housed the butcher's shop I was accosted by a stench which turned my face green. Great swirling clouds of miasma! I discovered that the midden had been sited hundreds of yards from the fortress! I immediately oversaw the allocation of a new refuse dump more accessibly located.

37: This heat! My thirst eventually got the better of me and I was forced to drink from the river like a lowly Olm man! Why is there no well, and more importantly, why is there no alcohol?!

39: Mr Wizard may have been incompetant, but at least he chose the site wisely. Gems! Precious earthfruit!

45: The food stockpiles are dwindling! Prior to my arrival everyone was fishing, but no-one was cleaning the fish and they were simply left to decay and stink! In addition to ordering the fish be properly prepared I oversaw the digging of a farm burrow. My herbal almanack says plump helmets grow in all seasons, so I ordered the planters to scatter spores underground. The almanack also said overground whip vines fruited at this time of year, I had the dwarfs harvest some.

47: By Ral I need a drink! The still should be completed soon.

49: !!! By the gods! That Whip Wine packs a wallop! I ordered an overground farm plot be prepared to cultivate this miracle of nature!

55: Tried my hand at gem cutting today. I was able to process a few of the gems we dug up, and the gem setter Reg encrusted a few stone trinkets with them. In a moment of inspiration I carved a bracelet directly from a large lump of pinfire opal. I'm a genius!

57: While cutting gems today I saw movement in the corner of my eye. A kobold thief had infiltrated the Fortress! No doubt the scum was after my opal bracelet. Atir, a peasant came to my aid and together we tore off the creature's legs and dumped the dismembered corpse on the compost heap as a warning to others of his kind!

58: Undeterred by the fate of his kin, another thief broke in. He was quickly dealt with.

59: A FORGE. I NEED A FORGE! WHY IS THERE NO FORGE!? DANDURRAD URRUN RUR! DANDURRAD URRUN RUR!!!

60: SHINING BARS OF MOONLIGHT! DANDURRAD URRUN RUR!!! METAAAAAAAALLLL!!!

61: I am roused from my reverie... I known not what came over me. It is a sign! Though I hated this place, its earth spirits call to me! I must shrug off my prejudice and lead my dwarfs to a prosperous future! Dandurrad urrun rur!

65: Since crafting the Roar of Running shaping metal has become second nature to me. I minted a batch of coins in zinc... it was the only metal we could find, but it serves its purpose as a symbolic gesture.

68: The living conditions of my labourers are terrible! In my arrogance I overlooked them in favour of myself. I ordered the construction of a grand dining room and many pacious dormitories.

71: Traders from the mountainhomes arrived, but their wagons were unable to reach the depot. Their camels were able to drag two anvils in. I purchased one... because.... well, why not? I immediately ordered the depot relocated and ramps built so this problem will not occur again.

79: A stout wall should keep out those gastropodmen!

90: Migrants from the mountainhomes! As soon as one, he called himself Celdur, arrived he fell into a deep trance, like the one I expereince many months ago. He worked feverishly and produced an amulet the likes of which i have never seen. It is a sign... I have performed my duties as fate required, I hereby transfer the overseership to the prophet Celdur. I am content to do as he orders me.

Offline Veraal

• Zelda Zealot
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2008, 02:09:38 pm »
*claps*

Offline LadyM

• View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2008, 06:17:47 pm »
Well done, I like the journal aspect of telling the story. I'll be following this one.

Offline Celdur

• R-Type Force Pod
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2008, 07:16:35 pm »
90: sam decided to make me leader. i think he is nuts but he says that fate has put the task in my hands
i guess i will do my best to lead this heap of bad design

91: i reasinged allot of the workers
all the useless workers will now be ordered to learn something usefel
there eating out food so they work for it!
i have also started making beds for everyone

115: i have improved the walls so that they are more effecient against whatever comes our way
whoever dares to strike at us will taste defeat, dwarves dont go without a fight

120: a few snatchers sneaked in! as soon as they where spoted they fled like the cowards they are
we should build traps i guess

128:i have finished the bedrooms and made the dining room allot better
right at that moment a new wave of migrants entered
work never stops here...

146: i have takes on the duty to be the mechanic,since we have none.
i have made a mechanics workshop and a siege workshop to start builging things

150: decided to make a pumping system to get some water supply close to the fort
quite a chalange since we are 6 levels above the river and there is an aquifer in the way

151:i found out that i need 6 screw pumps, one for every level.
we have to build a 3 floor building against the side of the mountain to avoid the aquifer
i planed it all out...now we only have to make it

181: the bottom 3 levels went great! they work perfectly and soon there all powered
the building does show a few problems though
im having trouble placing the windmills! i did not plan them so i had to improvise
thanks to some errors two of my men fainted trough a colapse
bah!

190: this is horrible
the bottom 3 pumps need an extra windmill or they wont have enough power!
and the building is a complete mess! i do not think im made to be a leader
i need more experience and i pass my leadership to my best frined Veraal
i know its not really the right thing to do, but i dont care anymore.

Offline Veraal

• Zelda Zealot
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 29, 2008, 08:36:00 am »
Though id love to play it, i cant right now, just pass it to someone else.

sorry.

Offline Samog

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • objectivists are dumb
    • View Profile
    • -
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2008, 08:03:02 pm »
and the other one failed because people didnt pass it on
hmm
"Fine. Don't believe me. I'm not lying. all your laziness which you mistake for something funney is driving me insane, quit fooling around!  dude this is just wrong, very wrong. reality does not consist of constrained language. go lock this thread malt. I love the payment."4MOD

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2008, 08:14:37 am »
Celdur, wake up and send it to Samog.

Oh, and dibs on the turn after. I'll make a fine leader, I'm sure.
Not a winner anymore.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2008, 08:36:02 am »

Dooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooomed! :P

Offline Neoadept

• Fooblitzky Fooble
  • Has a nice hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2008, 11:45:48 am »
It's actually in my hands at the moment.  Limited computer access has slowed me up, but I should be posting this weekend.
Nefarious?  Nearly.  Neer-do-well?  Never!  Neither nearly names this narrator.  Naive and knowledgeable, notorious and inscrutable, this nascent Nero is known naturally as Neoadept.

Offline Celdur

• R-Type Force Pod
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2008, 01:54:44 pm »
Celdur, wake up and send it to Samog.

i already send the file to neo about a week ago :P

and i think samog is next in line...although im not sure if he is entirly active

Offline Samog

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • objectivists are dumb
    • View Profile
    • -
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2008, 06:42:53 pm »
i heard that if you post samog's name three times he comes and trolls your thread

Offline Gauphastus

• Ice Climber
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2008, 03:48:35 am »
Well, this certainly went swimmingly.
"Ma all the gods of furious strong be with you as you crunch opposents, and live like a windrammer as you f**k."
       ~Ricky Wangstrom

Offline Celdur

• R-Type Force Pod
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2008, 08:58:10 am »
its not dead...neo is just being really unreliable >.>

he will post it soon...he says

Offline Glacies

• Tempest Top Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2008, 08:37:42 am »
I'd like to join this after everyone else.

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2008, 12:01:15 pm »
And we'd like to play it before you.

I'm not entirely sure that either is going to happen.
Not a winner anymore.

Offline Celdur

• R-Type Force Pod
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2008, 12:56:24 pm »
its as if neoadapt just died or something...

Offline Neoadept

• Fooblitzky Fooble
  • Has a nice hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2008, 01:45:44 pm »
Felsite 27:  After months of wasted effort on the pumping tower the people have elected me their new mayor.  I am humbled by this turn of events and shall dutifully lead them onward.

Now, how to finish the work on the well...

Hematite 14:  Success!  At last, this damned aquifer works to our benefit!  The fact that the water is stagnant must have deterred the previous leaders from tapping into it, but using a screw pump seems to filter it properly.  And all it took to power it was a Dwarven Perpetual Motion device!

A water wheel on the upper level is powered by the water pumped from below, which is pumped by the power from the water wheel.  All that was necessary to begin it was a few moments of work by one of our miners.  I have also ordered the floors in this and the dining hall smoothed.  We will no longer eat and drink in squalor!

Malachite 4:  Amazing, one of our dwarfs was filled with inspiration and spent weeks upon some grand project, and today has deigned reveal his glorious construction to us!

A cup...  With a very scary name...  Yes, I'll just put this in a safe place.  (And to think we used to select leaders by such creations!)

Galena 19:  Perhaps I was wrong to mock that cup, perhaps it was a portent, for an ancient foe did come from the mountains, their hearts and minds filled with darkness.  Whatever the case, today we were visited by tragedy. 

They came from nowhere, and struck down nearly a dozen dwarfs before we could push them out.  I was a fool not to prepare stronger defenses, lulled into security by their pitiful snatchers and thieves who run from mere kittens...

I shall begin designing the defense of our outpost immediately.  Hopefully before they return in greater numbers.

sandstone 6:  This is more difficult than I had suspected.  There is an entrance on every terrace of this cliff face, all of which are open to the north and south, and dwarfs have business on every level of it.  It will take a moat and wall on every level to ensure our safety, and as of yet I have only completed them along the brook.  That is where the goblins struck from before, so there may still be hope...

Sandstone 14:  The Mountain homes have sent us new citizens!

Between these reinforcements and recent births, we are nearing the numbers we had before the attack.  I feel we may last yet!

Timber 7:  Thank Armok that the new mine shaft I had opened has found rock crystal!  I find myself driven to use it in my...  Plans.  They are not ready yet, not even to be written here.  I will put it to words upon completion.  For now, I must work!

Moonstone 1:  It is finished!

For some strange reason I felt the need to name it after myself.  I pray this is not a portent, or that it can be avoided.

Obsidian 14:  After all this time, tragedy strikes again.

They came from both the brook and the mountain top this time, the brook held well enough thanks to the defenses, but the trade post at the top led directly to the heart of our fortress.  Our losses have stripped us back down to the numbers we had after the first attack.

Most disturbing of all, they have cut young Edem's right arm away.  Perhaps he will eventually learn to use his left, but for now we confine him to bed.  On the infrequent occasions when he wakes,he rages at us through the door.

Felsite 1:  Edem has died.  Too many have fallen under my leadership, and I therefore resign after one final construction.

A set of catacombs for our dead.  The first tomb is my own, though it remains empty for now.  The casket's portent tells me it may not remain so for long.

Sorry that took so long, there were a lot of things that kept slowing me down in real life.  After giving it some thought, I'm retiring from the game because I can't garauntee the same thing won't happen again.  Glacies can have my spot.

Sorry about the picture quality and the giant letters plastering them.  I don't go in for those graphics upgrades, and didn't know those would be there until later.

Oh, and there's a Goblin stuck in one of the moats scaring dwarfs away, keep an eye on that.

Offline Glacies

• Tempest Top Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2008, 02:31:48 pm »
So who's next?  :D

Offline Celdur

• R-Type Force Pod
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2008, 02:40:28 pm »
samog is next up

thanks neo good job...even if a little slow

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2008, 08:48:26 am »
Bump.
In the rump.
Water pump.
Toxic sump.
Forrest Gump?

This is lurk, rhymin' old-skool for the dwarves on the streets.
Not a winner anymore.

Offline Samog

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • objectivists are dumb
    • View Profile
    • -
« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2008, 02:26:28 pm »
yo yo that was my main man lurk, helpin us all keep it real on those rough granite roads

Offline Glacies

• Tempest Top Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2008, 06:54:32 pm »
The fort, the fort,
the fort is on fire,
we don't need no water
let the dwarven nobles burn....

Offline Celdur

• R-Type Force Pod
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2008, 10:16:00 am »
samog what is the problem?
its your turn so you need to keep the thread alive...

and no, im not going to rap...silly people

Offline Samog

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • objectivists are dumb
    • View Profile
    • -
« Reply #41 on: March 28, 2008, 02:23:39 pm »
I've been really busy and I also have to navigate this mess of a fort.

Offline LadyM

• View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #42 on: March 28, 2008, 05:03:11 pm »
Mess? Some of the best DF players have worked on that fort, how can it be a mess? Maybe you should pass it on if you don't have time. Wait.. maybe something happened while you have the file and your afraid to tell everyone.. yeah.. trolls got in and killed every one  :o

Offline Neoadept

• Fooblitzky Fooble
  • Has a nice hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 28, 2008, 05:40:06 pm »
Mess? Some of the best DF players have worked on that fort, how can it be a mess?

The thing about the best DF players is that they very rarely agree on how to actually build a fort.  It's like getting together an Egyptian pyramid architect, the designer of the Parthanon, and the guy in charge of Gothic Cathedrals and telling them to build the best temple ever.  They agree that it should have certain things, and that it should be big, but when you put it all together you get an aqueduct draining the holy water bins into a room filled with mummified cats.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 28, 2008, 07:26:40 pm »
Yeah, for some reason Celdur didn't appreciate my streamlined stockpile system and prefers one huge storage pile for everything, in the middle of nowhere. Also, I've never found all this hydraulics malarkey at all important to the running of a successful fortress.

Offline Samog

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • objectivists are dumb
    • View Profile
    • -
« Reply #45 on: March 29, 2008, 12:11:11 pm »
Mess? Some of the best DF players have worked on that fort, how can it be a mess?

The thing about the best DF players is that they very rarely agree on how to actually build a fort.  It's like getting together an Egyptian pyramid architect, the designer of the Parthanon, and the guy in charge of Gothic Cathedrals and telling them to build the best temple ever.  They agree that it should have certain things, and that it should be big, but when you put it all together you get an aqueduct draining the holy water bins into a room filled with mummified cats.
but with this fort it's more like the pyramid guy modeled the entire interior after the great pyramid and then the parthenon guy designed the outside defenses to have slightly more gaps than the parthenon and the cathedral guy was trying to make a pump system to get the holy water in the mummified cat room but then he fell into a *enormous chestnut corkscrew* and died

update soon!

Offline Mr. Wizard

• Karate Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 03, 2008, 11:12:00 pm »
*cough*

Offline Samog

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • objectivists are dumb
    • View Profile
    • -
« Reply #47 on: June 14, 2008, 01:18:36 pm »
Samog: after a while i kind of expected you to skip me
[GS] Celdur: we didnt
Samog: ok
Samog: i don't even have the save file anymore
[GS] Celdur: ha...its dead then
Samog: i could start a new one
Samog: to atone for my terrible sin
Samog: after the new version is released though

Offline Mr. Wizard

• Karate Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 14, 2008, 10:22:26 pm »
You killed it because you didnt like the fortress. :P

:D

Offline BumpyRide

• Intellivision Junkie
  • Definitely Bumpy
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 17, 2008, 07:55:06 pm »
Why don't you guys just start a new one?

Offline Glacies

• Tempest Top Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 08, 2008, 02:47:42 am »
Wait till' the new version is released. Then we start again.

Mass construction is going to be bleeding awesome.

Offline Shadowgandor

• Scramble Skipper
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 26, 2008, 01:12:02 pm »
May I ask how you guys learned to play this game? Are there any tutorials or anything availlable for the game?
The game sounds like fun, but I've got no clue what to do :P

Offline Glacies

• Tempest Top Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 26, 2008, 04:05:11 pm »
Wrong thread. Just wreck a couple of forts. Also, check the wiki section on your first fortress. It's handy.

Offline Shadowgandor

• Scramble Skipper
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 27, 2008, 01:28:51 pm »
On my third now, somehow, I'm starting to survive longer and longer and longer even though the locations haven't been very good. I either had some kind of rock blocking me from digging deeper, a barren field or the 'river' being a tiny piece of water :P
Ah well, I love the game already :)

Anyway, like I've already posted on the Dwarven Fortress topic, the new version is out. I'm not sure if it's the release you guys were waiting for, but check the link: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/

It would be great if you guys could start it again :)

Offline Glacies

• Tempest Top Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 27, 2008, 07:04:03 pm »
http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=13470.0

We're full up on leaders, but you can certainly ask to have a dwarf named after you.