Author Topic: Dwarven Fortress Bloodline game! discusion thread  (Read 15559 times)

Offline Celdur

• R-Type Force Pod
  • :33
    • View Profile
Dwarven Fortress Bloodline game! discusion thread
« on: February 08, 2008, 11:25:09 am »
so i thought we could try making a bloodline game
since DF is so hot right now

bloodlines means that people take 'turns' by sharing the save file(like boatmurdered)
the turns usualy take a year

so..should we do this? or is it a bad idea
could be a LOT of fun ;D

Quote from: Krakow sam
That quote is actualy very witty, Celdur. I suggest you use that in your signature.

Offline Mr. Wizard

• Karate Champ
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Fortress Bloodline game! discusion thread
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2008, 03:22:44 pm »
I'll Join then. But I want to be one of the first to handle it, that way if I the Fortress survives my turn, it will hopefully be passed on to better hands :D

Offline Luminar

• Gyromite Gyro
  • i'm losin' it
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2008, 03:29:53 pm »
Didn't we have one of these before that flubbed? Anyway, i'm too inexperienced so out of manners or perhaps mercy i'm passing on this one. I'll be sure to watch, though.

Offline Celdur

• R-Type Force Pod
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2008, 03:33:17 pm »
no i dont care how bad you are! its fun if you have problems
if you have only experts playing the game it will be dull

we could just pick an easy location
we dont have to go into mordor or whatever

and the other one failed because people didnt pass it on

That quote is actualy very witty, Celdur. I suggest you use that in your signature.

Offline Veraal

• Zelda Zealot
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2008, 04:12:08 pm »
I guess i could join...
Im not good, so prepeare for consequences.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2008, 07:02:39 pm »
You have my axe!
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Celdur

• R-Type Force Pod
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2008, 05:20:59 pm »
wizard is making a world now...we have to wait until he has it all sorted out

who wants to go after wizard?

Offline Neoadept

• Fooblitzky Fooble
  • Has a nice hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2008, 06:16:30 pm »
I might be able to join, I'll just have to see if Toady can put out that mac port soon enough.  Without it I can only play on the weekends.
Nefarious?  Nearly.  Neer-do-well?  Never!  Neither nearly names this narrator.  Naive and knowledgeable, notorious and inscrutable, this nascent Nero is known naturally as Neoadept.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2008, 06:49:35 pm »
I'll go after wizard, I guess.  :)

Offline Samog

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • objectivists are dumb
    • View Profile
    • -
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2008, 02:52:34 pm »
I am very interested in joining your corporation, please find my resume enclosed.
"Fine. Don't believe me. I'm not lying. all your laziness which you mistake for something funney is driving me insane, quit fooling around!  dude this is just wrong, very wrong. reality does not consist of constrained language. go lock this thread malt. I love the payment."4MOD

Offline Celdur

• R-Type Force Pod
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2008, 03:23:08 pm »
i need to smack wizard in the face 1st

he needs to make the damn fortres!  ::)

Offline LadyM

• Mortal Kombat Konqueror
  • I'm not confused anymore
    • View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2008, 12:33:13 pm »
Samog is back!!!  :)

Offline Mr. Wizard

• Karate Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2008, 01:07:50 am »
In the realm of  Xesororukzza Snn

The Journal of "MrWizard" on the lost Settlement of Boltscomet, Circa 1051.

Excerpt 23:
"So, they ask me to build them an outpost. They being my superiors back home. Thought they could get rid of me for a while by sending me to some forgotten corner of the realms. I better make the best of it then. I pointed my  miners at a wall, they started digging. I grabbed my axe, and had fun cutting down the elf wives. I sent the boring old codgers to fish."

Excerpt 42:
"We expanded the ponds out front, Hopefully they wont dry up, otherwise we'd have to build a tunnel down to the brook in the valley, and the Miner's are already giving me dirty looks. The godforsaken elf wives are thinning, won't have any more of them around when I'm done. Fortress itself is coming along alright, we just have the laziest miners in the realms.

Note: Search for internal water sources, looks for tools to harness them"

Excerpt 72:
"Stupid heat. Stupid water. Our ponds have dried up before we could siphon the water away. The pits will serve as safe farms, but the lazy farmers wont plant nothing. They all just want to go fishing. Miners have at least picked up the slack.

Thank the Gods we brought extra ale."

Excerpt 80:
"We hit some damp stone today. Didnt want to break through, we'll just dig over it and release it with a channel. May be an underground river, may just be some wet rock. We'll find out.  In the mean time, we ditched the tunnel to the brook and just built several stairs leading down. Cheaper and quicker, and the miners stopped sharpening their picks whenever I was in the vicinity.

It's like they forget about my axe or something."

Excerpt 85:
"Tried to dig over the wet stone, only to hit more yet stone. If we try to push forward, we may end up unleashing a river in the place. So I ordered my miners to dig up again. I thing digging in this spot was a mistake, should have gone higher and looked for some proper gray toned stone. This brown stuff just looks like hard dirt more than anything. Well dig up until we can cross the patch of wetstone, Then just keep expanding in that area. The brown stone just has to small an area thats livable for a proper fortress. We'll relocate the buildings as soon as we can, and then maybe crack the wall and use it as an instant flood on any intruders. We'll build straight up, and have another exit through the mountains. We might get more traders that way, they'd be able to use us to get deeper into dwarven lands. So would our enemies...

The crafts dwarf made me a bed. I have a bed now. I am as happy as an elf kissing his wife."

Excerpt 102:
"A few fat tubs of lard decided to make our outpost their home. I wasnt expecting them at all. We barely had enough food as it was. To top things off, one of my miners trapped himself in a tunnel we were sealing off, and died shortly after digging his way to freedom. The newbies had a miner, so it evened out, and favor's on my side. Of course the remaining miners don't agree, but they're there to poke dirt till they die, so who cares. The indoor watersource wasnt finished as a result, and doesnt look like it will be finished at all this year."

Excerpt 109:
"Seems a elfin-runt dwarf wrote enough 'Dear Mama' letters back home that the powers that be are sending a repleacement. So be it, I dont have the talent  for this. I'll just keep a hand on my axe and an eye always open. I'd like to see how this all ends, but only if i'm the last one to witness it.

Also, those slugmen better hope I never find a layer of salt..."

----------------------------------------

And so ends the first year of Boltscomet. I dint get much done, I always seemed to run into some obstacle that I didnt want to test for fear of running the whole thing into the ground. And something always came up. Whether it was the ponds drying while I was tring to get at their water or the blasted mountain which seems to have nothing but water in its base. I threw my hands up it the air and decided to relocate as much as I could. Only it was slow going as it was like trying to build two fortresses at the same time. The map is fine, you'll just be making heavy use of the z direction. The path that finally goes over the wet rock will eventually (once those workers get to it) have a channel cut across it, which will also break through to the underground water. Remember to build a bridge over it or the fortress will be cut in half. Currently there is lodging for 8. Food stocks are abysmal, but I noticed a few started to farm so that should be fixed in a bit. The constant building in the Z direction may be confusing, so get your bearings before trying anything major. I actually think that because of those surprise immigrants it may drive the small fortress into the ground. (no pun intended)

I named the axedwarf after myself. He kills a lot of goats.

The walls were made of beds, yet they slept on the ground for 4 months before I built them beds.  :D

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2008, 03:20:07 am »
Kewl... although you probably should have noticed you were picking a site with an aquifer  :P

No matter. How are handling the transfer of the files? Anyone know a convenient filehosting site or are we going to have to mail each other stacks of floppy disks like in the olden days? :P

Offline Celdur

• R-Type Force Pod
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2008, 05:36:14 am »
email sounds the easiest

although if you want to use an upload site thats ok

its krakow`s turn now and after that its mine i guess