Author Topic: Sins of a Solar Empire  (Read 17007 times)

Offline Morslok

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
Sins of a Solar Empire
« on: January 31, 2008, 02:25:49 pm »
Anyone else looking forward to playing this game?  I probably won't get it right away, I'm low on cash, but so far it seems like my kind of game.

It's a sci-fi space RTS that incorporates empire management stuff like a turn based 4x game from what I can gather.

When I first heard about it my initial reaction was not very excited.  But recently after I had been trolling around galciv2.com for a while I stumbled on it again and actually learned some stuff about it, and became intrigued.  Funny, that's the same thing that happened when I first heard of stalker.  I went "meh" then learned more about it and went "oooo".

Anyway it comes out in a few days (Feb 4th I believe) and I was wondering what other people thought of it.

Signed, Morslok

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
  • Life is worth much more than gold
    • View Profile
Re: Sins of a Solar Empire
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2008, 02:48:04 pm »
I really want this game. I can't wait but my computer is so crappy that I probably can't play it properly.

Quote from: /lurk
PALM: Oh face, come closer. I've needed your touch since I heard that fundamentalist Christians were being stupid again.
FACE: Not again! Quickly Palm, come to me!

Offline Morslok

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2008, 04:05:12 pm »
The system requirements aren't that much really, this is from the faq on their site:

Q.  What are the hardware requirements?
A.  The Iron Engine takes advantage of the latest machines and scales to support older hardware as well.

Minimum Requirements:

* Windows XP SP2 / Windows Vista
    * 1.8 GHz Single-Core Processor
    * 512 MB RAM (1 GB for Windows Vista)
    * 128 MB DirectX 9 3D Video Card (Radeon 9600 / GeForce FX 6600 and above)
    * DirectX 9.0c Compatible Sound Card
    * DVD-ROM Drive
    * 3 GB Hard Drive Space
    * Keyboard and Mouse
    * DirectX 9.0c

Recommended Requirements:

* 2.2 GHz Dual- or Quad-Core Processor
    * 1 GB RAM (2 GB for Windows Vista)
    * 256 MB DirectX 9 3D Video Card (Radeon X1600 / GeForce 7600 and above)

And I also saw on their forums that these minimum requirements are actually true, the game will run with decent framerate on the minimum system (unlike some other recent games whose requirements were actually higher than what they printed on the box and the minimum system wouldn't even run it.)
Signed, Morslok

Offline GameManic

• Dragster Diehard
  • I can't let you leave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2008, 06:11:22 pm »
I am really looking foward to this one aswell.  Its the type of game I have been interested in playing a long time but no one ever made it  :P.  Since is just a few days away we can set up some games if anyone else is getting it on day one (provided we have compatible schedules).
"Listen, I mean that from my knowledge of the world that I see around me, I think that it is much more likely that the reports of flying saucers are the results of the known irrational characteristics of terrestrial intelligence than of the unknown rational efforts of extra-terrestrial intelligence."
-Richard Feynman

Offline smurfslayer

• Centipede Crackerjack
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2008, 07:16:07 pm »
I've been looking forward to it for a while now. Looks really good.

Offline Fobok

• Fishing Derby Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2008, 12:03:53 am »
I'm pre-ordering (yeah, only a few days, but still) as soon as my credit card payment goes through.

Offline Tr0n

• Dragster Diehard
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2008, 08:26:55 am »
Funny.  I just posted about Sins' interesting copy protection stance.  Needless to say, I will be getting this game.  It appears to be a wonderful hybrid of RTS/SIM/4X.  A WoW buddy has been in Beta for Sins and I played it on his system (dual core with an ATI HD2600 or sometihng of the sort).  It can get a little bit slow at times, but this is Beta so anything is possible in the final game. 

I have a few irks with it right now, but none of them take away from the overall experience.  Some of the issues I had also probably could be attributed to my crappy play style.  Anyway, one of my favorite things about the game is the persistence of the capital ships and their apparent worth.  Match a Level 1 cap with a level 10, the the level 10 will crush the weaker one.  So, in MP games, there will be a little fear when that L10 dreadnaught jumps into the middle of a battle you thought you had won with your two weakened level 5 cap ships.  I remember in most games, a ship adding to the battle just meant a new strategy, but the strength of these cap ships and their levels (and abilities) can turn the tide of a battle.

Even small games can take a long time.  I played a game vs the easy PC and (though my strategy sucked), and it took about 4 hours using my patented Turtle Style of gameplay.   But this is aided by the fact that you make more strategic decisions.  They're not kidding when they say the micromanagement is greatly reduced.  It's right at that "reduced to a fault" level, as you frequently (as a noob) watch your fleets jump into a trap and get raped by a stronger opposing force.  There's sometimes nothing you can do aside from give a retreat order when you're being pummeled.  The only ships capable of turning the tide is ... more ships... or cap ships. 

To that effect, though, a player who knows how to use special abilities of his ships often can take a narrow loss and turn it into a decisive win.  Most every sepecial skill can be eset to Autocast, where the AI will decide how these skills are to be used.  But some ships are based around support roles and their skills, while very powerful, have a long cooldown or require lots of antimatter (energy) to use.  Deciding when to use these powers to the most effect can really make a difference.

Bottom line, this game takes the 4X game I love and changes it from turn based to real time.  Throw in some diplomacy mechanics, large tech trees, pirates (organized pirates and very very powerful pirates), visual beauty, and a host of customization of maps and game rules and you have a possible true golden child of the 4X/RTS/Sim genres. 

Master of SimHomeworld II, if you will :).
Hey love crusader, I want to be your space invader
For you I will descend the deepest moon crater
I is more stronger than Darth Vapour
Obey me, I is your new dictator

Offline Morslok

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2008, 09:03:54 am »
...pirates (organized pirates and very very powerful pirates)...

Yeah, I'm really looking forward to seeing how that bounty system works out, sounds like an awesome concept, something where you can actually just throw money at it without wasting your own ships.

Some of the devs on the forums have said that it would actually pain them to play the game as it was in the betas compared to it's current incarnation.

Also, lets not forget the game will retail for 40 bucks, I'm sure that will help pirates convert.
Signed, Morslok

Offline Rax Dakkar

• Contributor
  • Boot Hill Bandit
  • So say we All
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2008, 07:58:48 pm »
I've been super excited about this game ever since it was announced.  Galactic Civilizations II is still one of my favortie all time strategy games, as was Homeworld 2, and the developers often called this game a combination of the two.

Offline Person21

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2008, 08:51:09 pm »
I per ordered this a few days ago, though I'm not that exited. Probably because I have mixed feeling about a 4X game in real time.
Person21 - As enjoyed by Veraal.
A wise Surface to Air Missile once said about marrying 9 year olds in Saudi Arabia "Its pretty hard to tell if a 9 year old is going to be hot when she grows up, kids change a lot, usually, seems like a bad system. That cute little nine year old you married could end being a fat, zitty teenager."

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
  • Life is worth much more than gold
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2008, 03:18:47 am »
Every time I think of this game I think of giant space battles supported by a giant empire in the background that keeps advancing only because of the constant battles.

Needless to say, I have to take a cold shower after that.

Quote from: /lurk
PALM: Oh face, come closer. I've needed your touch since I heard that fundamentalist Christians were being stupid again.
FACE: Not again! Quickly Palm, come to me!

Offline Poised

• Rigel Rescuer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2008, 05:04:24 am »
I pre ordered too, I've not read or seen much about this game, only enough to know that I want it, and I barely even feel the wait because I havent been exposed to too much hype :)

Offline Person21

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2008, 03:36:16 pm »
So, has anybody finished downloading yet?

EDIT: I finally got the game downloaded, after some problems with the E-Mail.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2008, 03:48:52 pm by Person21 »
Person21 - As enjoyed by Veraal.
A wise Surface to Air Missile once said about marrying 9 year olds in Saudi Arabia "Its pretty hard to tell if a 9 year old is going to be hot when she grows up, kids change a lot, usually, seems like a bad system. That cute little nine year old you married could end being a fat, zitty teenager."

Offline Veraal

• Zelda Zealot
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2008, 04:12:36 pm »
looks interresting, though im not buying till i hear from you what you think.

Offline GameManic

• Dragster Diehard
  • I can't let you leave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2008, 04:47:21 pm »
I have it now aswell.  It only took like 20 minutes to download and install once I got my email so that was good.  The learning curve is going to take a while so I will save my judgement for later.
"Listen, I mean that from my knowledge of the world that I see around me, I think that it is much more likely that the reports of flying saucers are the results of the known irrational characteristics of terrestrial intelligence than of the unknown rational efforts of extra-terrestrial intelligence."
-Richard Feynman