Author Topic: Sins of a Solar Empire  (Read 18873 times)

Offline james-kond

• Space Invaders Junkie
    • View Profile
Re: Sins of a Solar Empire
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2008, 02:46:53 am »
Nice review. Made me consider buying even more.

Also, your avatar, is that a Sload?
Thanks, and yeah that's a Sload :)

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2008, 05:18:31 am »
Quite liked Sins of an Solar Empire (odd name)

Interesting review, although I don't think you described the game enough.

Also, your English is terrible. I'm guessing it might not be your first language, but I cringe when I read a poorly-written review.

Offline james-kond

• Space Invaders Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2008, 06:00:20 am »
Quite liked Sins of an Solar Empire (odd name)

Interesting review, although I don't think you described the game enough.

Also, your English is terrible. I'm guessing it might not be your first language, but I cringe when I read a poorly-written review.
Yes sorry about the English :P
and yes the game is maybe to deep for me to describe in one review and i don't like writing an 5 page long review.

Offline Person21

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2008, 07:14:25 am »
The game really isn't that deep.

Its much more slow paced RTS than 4X
« Last Edit: February 09, 2008, 11:39:38 am by Person21 »
Person21 - As enjoyed by Veraal.
A wise Surface to Air Missile once said about marrying 9 year olds in Saudi Arabia "Its pretty hard to tell if a 9 year old is going to be hot when she grows up, kids change a lot, usually, seems like a bad system. That cute little nine year old you married could end being a fat, zitty teenager."

Offline B.A.S.

• Time Pilot Trekker
  • WAR GSP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2008, 11:29:43 am »
Thanks for the review im a fan of Stardock and I prefere slower paced Strategy Games like Galactic Civilization and the Medieval series so this will have to be a must when I get my new rig.
Your Friendly Canadian Fighter :)
"It is defeat that turns bone to flint, gristle to muscle- it is defeat that makes men invincible"- Henry Ward Beecher
Inkling:Durgon only comes by when he is taking a break from beating up people and animals

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2008, 03:35:40 am »
Slow paced you say? I must buy this.

I like RTSs, but I hate most of the ones available, mainly because victory has less to do with strategy and more to do with who has memorised more hotkeys and tech trees and has a $400 precision gaming mouse.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
  • Life is worth much more than gold
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2008, 03:36:41 am »

I like RTSs, but I hate most of the ones available, mainly because victory has less to do with strategy and more to do with who has memorised more hotkeys and tech trees and has a $400 precision gaming mouse.

I agree with Sam, as usual though I would like to add rushing as one of the banes of RTS gaming. I hate all rushers.

Quote from: /lurk
PALM: Oh face, come closer. I've needed your touch since I heard that fundamentalist Christians were being stupid again.
FACE: Not again! Quickly Palm, come to me!

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2008, 03:49:07 am »
Hmmm, having looked into the system requirements I'm not sure if my puny laptop will run it.

What have other people's experiences been with trying to run the game?
My laptop is a centrino duo and doesn't seem to have a graphics card (it has *something*, but I don't think it can be classed as a graphics card). However, it runs games like Total War comfortably on low settings, and apparently meets the minimum requirements for HL2 (although I haven't tried it) and TF2 (which actually didn't work, but I don't think its due to a problem with the graphics).

Note, that your responses to this post will directly influence my decision to gamble $40 on buying this game.

Offline Person21

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2008, 04:11:52 am »
I just make the minimum requirements and I was surprised by how well it ran.

The only time I saw any lag was after I had won, and I build up a massive fleet to take out the pirates. (Almost everything was on medium)
Person21 - As enjoyed by Veraal.
A wise Surface to Air Missile once said about marrying 9 year olds in Saudi Arabia "Its pretty hard to tell if a 9 year old is going to be hot when she grows up, kids change a lot, usually, seems like a bad system. That cute little nine year old you married could end being a fat, zitty teenager."

Offline james-kond

• Space Invaders Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2008, 04:32:44 am »
It runs very smoothly for all the stuff that's on screen at once, and if you have loaded one game the other games you will load will load very fast

Offline Josasa

• Commando Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2008, 12:23:46 pm »

When you say it doesn't have a graphics card are you talking about how RAM space is taken away from it or something like that? Because that's what my laptop does and it works fine (but i do have 2GB of RAM). And i've only got one Intel Pentium processor. Don't know if that helps.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2008, 06:46:25 pm »
Hmmm, I only have 0.99GB of RAM.

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2008, 08:09:16 am »
Note, that your responses to this post will directly influence my decision to gamble $40 on buying this game.

Go into a shop and directly ask if your computer will meet the minimum system specs.

Then take it home and try it. If it doesn't run, you're well within your rights as a consumer to take it back for a full refund (the specific clause is fitness for purpose, which it will fail to meet if it doesn't run). The fact that you've asked them gives you more legal leverage.

EDIT: Make sure to demand your money back, don't settle for store credit or a replacement game.

Offline Sub

• Time Pilot Trekker
  • End is tough.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2008, 09:26:40 pm »
Question for anyone who has the game:

How do I make all of my ships phasejump at the same time?

Offline Fobok

• Fishing Derby Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2008, 10:36:13 pm »
Question for anyone who has the game:

How do I make all of my ships phasejump at the same time?

On the bottom right panel there's a little button, when you have more than one ship selected, showing a green upward arrow. Right click on that so that it shows multiple green upward arrows. All selected ships will now jump at once.