Author Topic: Unhappy with xbox 360  (Read 20599 times)

Offline Danzik

• Gyruss Gyrusian
    • View Profile
Re: Unhappy with xbox 360
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2008, 08:44:49 am »
Don't feel sorry for them.  Choosing sides in a format war is always a bad idea.
Don't worry though, Blu-ray's coming to the 360

Offline WinterSnowblind

• BurgerTime Chef
  • Exitus Acta Probat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2008, 09:14:07 am »
Now I feel sorry for all the people who bought the HD DVD addon as it is a dead format! 

They could, you know, still watch their movies?  It's especially nice that HD-DVD's also include the regular DVD version on the disc.  But yeah, the add-on was rather pointless to begin with.

I don't see why so many PS3 fanboys are happy about this though, it's a movie format, that has almost nothing to do with gaming, and without any competition it just means you'll see high prices, with little reason for them to drop.  And Microsoft has always said they'll back whatever format wins.  I find it very sad that so many "gamers" are completely caught up in this format war though, it just goes to show how immature you really are.  At least argue about the games, rather than the format..  geez.  I see you're still struggling to do that though.   ;)

Besides, what will happen in a year or two when blu-ray becomes obsolete?  ::)

Offline Skyward

• Ballblazer Plasmorb
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2008, 12:59:28 pm »
back up for a second, now you are prasing the Blu-ray aspect of the PS3 even though earlier you dislike the xbox's multimedia aspect? isnt that just the exact opposite of what you said earlier?
Hell, Skyward Descent is pure win!
Quote from: Captain
I kill you in the name of DELICIOUS!

Offline Little

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
  • I'm a drunk...
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2008, 06:30:15 pm »
Now I feel sorry for all the people who bought the HD DVD addon as it is a dead format! 

:D

HD-DVD holds more, has more functionality, and is harder to damage.
The best person ever.  She should have won the Peace Prize.

What? No full control over children? You do realize that some of us have particular plans for those children.

Offline Hizzah

• Bezerk Brawler
  • http://www.pbfcomics.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2008, 07:31:59 pm »
I don't see why so many PS3 fanboys are happy about this though, it's a movie format, that has almost nothing to do with gaming, and without any competition it just means you'll see high prices, with little reason for them to drop. 

Uh...right. Competition in a media format isn't a good thing. To begin with, DVDs are the real competition to any next-gen format...and the sales of DVDs are on the decline anyways. And that's with a price range of $10-20...once you get past all the HD whores out there, no way BluRay movies will penetrate the mainstream market with a $30+ pricepoint...

But yeah this is better news for Sony than it would've been for Microsoft had HD-DVD won...

Offline WinterSnowblind

• BurgerTime Chef
  • Exitus Acta Probat
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2008, 04:27:58 am »
Tales of Vesperia, exclusive to the 360.   :)
http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/854/854144p1.html

Still not enough Japanese games for you?

Offline Lazerbyte

• Phoenix Fighter
  • You've been Lazered
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2008, 11:06:42 am »
Yeah but there is a Tales game coming out for the wii and the psp and the PS3.  The Wii is also Final Fantasy Cyrstal Chronicles and Borque.

I just feel that with picking up Lost Odyessy it just wasn't what I was expecting. 

I just don't think the 360 is the platform for RPGs.  It is the platform for FPS games and multiplayer games.

I think both formats had their advantages and disadvantages.  Blu Ray had a larger storage capacity and it had the player built into the PS3.  I think if MS had decided to put an HD DVD drive in the 360 it might have changed things and put games on HD DVD.  Lost Odyessy is 4 disks and it was packaged very cheaply I might add!

Games like COD4 and Devil May Cry 4 I picked up for the PS3.  More and more games that come out on both systems I will pick up for the PS3 hands down.

I just find the PS3 a lot more fun than the 360.

Thank you, as you have just been Lazered

Offline El Stevo

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2008, 02:04:05 am »
I wouldn't feel sorry for them - all those HD-DVD movies will be super cheap!  ;D
Don't touch the screen!
Rank 4: Elite
Gamertag - El Stev0  |  Last.fm
Overwhelmed, as one would be, placed in my position.

Offline SmileyMan

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2008, 02:28:29 am »

I just don't think the 360 is the platform for RPGs.

Mass Effect.

Offline El Stevo

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2008, 07:38:14 am »
I just don't think the 360 is the platform for RPGs.  It is the platform for FPS games and multiplayer games.
But it has significantly more RPG's than anything else! Is there even an RPG on PS3? Folklore, I guess, but that's not a name that springs to my mind when I think 'RPG'.
Don't touch the screen!
Rank 4: Elite
Gamertag - El Stev0  |  Last.fm
Overwhelmed, as one would be, placed in my position.

Offline Cow

• Track and Field Jock
  • Rad.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2008, 08:22:13 pm »

I just don't think the 360 is the platform for RPGs.

Mass Effect.

And Fable 2. But that's not out yet.

Offline WinterSnowblind

• BurgerTime Chef
  • Exitus Acta Probat
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2008, 05:57:18 am »
I think both formats had their advantages and disadvantages.  Blu Ray had a larger storage capacity and it had the player built into the PS3.  I think if MS had decided to put an HD DVD drive in the 360 it might have changed things and put games on HD DVD.  Lost Odyessy is 4 disks and it was packaged very cheaply I might add!

Again.  Games like Final Fantasy VII used three discs, and it wasn't a problem back then.  Why is it now?

Games like COD4 and Devil May Cry 4 I picked up for the PS3.  More and more games that come out on both systems I will pick up for the PS3 hands down.

I don't follow you here at all, why is it hands down for the PS3?  In most cases multiplatform games look and run better on the 360, and the 360 undoubedly has the better controller for playing them.  FPS games aren't suited to the PS3 at all because of it's analogue placements, and then there's games like GTA IV that are going to play better on the 360 due to the triggers.  And of course the exclusive content make it a no brainer.

The achievements help as well, while you may consider them trivial, there are a few games that I've been encouraged to play for longer because of them.  Tomb Raider Legend is a good example for me, as it includes hard mode, time trials and secret relics hidden in each level.  I never really bothered doing any of that in the older games, because you never really got anything for doing, but the achievements at least offer something for your efforts.   :)  Even if you really don't care, it's still a plus to the 360 side.

So for me it's the complete opposite, I can really so no reason to buy these multiplatform games for the PS3, even if in the future the tables do turn and the slight graphical advantage goes to the PS3.

Offline Lazerbyte

• Phoenix Fighter
  • You've been Lazered
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2008, 01:12:17 pm »
Ok I don't know what crack you are smoking but I find the PS3 controller to be very comfortable and to me it works very well with the over all feel.  I don't like the rounded buttons on the 360 controller (plus they stole the design from the Dreamcast one!) I like how the R2 button is bigger and is much easier to find. 

You have an R1 and R2 and a L1 and L2 button plus the 2 analog sticks and the Triangle Circle Squre and X button and of course the start button the PS button and the select button.

Playing games like Resistance is a real joy as you don't have 12 year old kids cussing and being idoits!! 

Ok first off games like Assassian's Creed was developed for the PS3 as well as DMC4 they just decided to port them to the 360.  If you actually look at a comparasion side by side you will see the PS3 version is much better.  I also think the control for the PS3 version works better.

Oh and as far as achievments you can get achievements so easiler that to me they are pointless.  Let's see in some of the sports games you can gain 1000 points just by playing a short game or in the Avatar game you can make 1500 points right off the bat for killing enemies on a certain floor.  To me that is just a waste so it really doesn't mean anything at all just a way to show off and say look how lame I am and I have no live expect to unlock everything in this game :)

There really aren't any good exclusive games coming out for the 360.  GTAIV is not my kind of game and the extra content that is coming on it MS paid a butt load for it.  Also Rockstar has an exclusive game coming for the PS3 so they aren't too worried about GTA at all.  What is the extra content gonna be probably a lvl or a car or something that at some point will come to the PS3 via a download after 6 months or so. 

I really think developers now are realizing the power the PS3 has now.  Plus the PS3 has the Blu Ray player built in that can hold quite a bit of data.   So you will see games for the PS3 come on one disk as opposed to the 360 coming on 4 or 5 disks.  And the problem I have with that is with the technology we have today we shouldn't have to be swaping disks like that back in the PS1 era it was to be expected.  I really don't like swapping disks at all on any machine but with the power of the PS3 and blu ray we will see that problem resolved.

Most games I had for the 360 I have since gotten for the PS3 and have had a much better time with them.  Plus Warhawk is an excellent online game and they are always adding new content. 

I really think this year the PS3 will really shine!! 

Thank you, as you have just been Lazered

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
  • Life is worth much more than gold
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2008, 03:00:28 pm »

I don't follow you here at all, why is it hands down for the PS3?  In most cases multiplatform games look and run better on the 360, and the 360 undoubedly has the better controller for playing them.

While some games run better on the Xbox 360, I think that is more a case of developers not optimizing the game for the PS 3. The controls are debatable, I have found the 360 to be very good (especially for shooters and 3rd person games) I also find it horrid with fighters and anything that requires you to use the d-pad (it really sucks). I like the PS 3 controller, but I would have preferred to have had the L2, R2 buttons from the Dualshock 2 instead of the triggers on the Sixaxis, but it isn't a major complaint.

Quote from: WinterSnowblind

FPS games aren't suited to the PS3 at all because of it's analogue placements, and then there's games like GTA IV that are going to play better on the 360 due to the triggers.  And of course the exclusive content make it a no brainer.

Why is it gonna play better because of the triggers? Also didn't Rockstar announce that there would be content for the PS 3 version as well?

Quote from: /lurk
PALM: Oh face, come closer. I've needed your touch since I heard that fundamentalist Christians were being stupid again.
FACE: Not again! Quickly Palm, come to me!

Offline WinterSnowblind

• BurgerTime Chef
  • Exitus Acta Probat
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2008, 03:55:17 pm »
Ok I don't know what crack you are smoking but I find the PS3 controller to be very comfortable and to me it works very well with the over all feel.  I don't like the rounded buttons on the 360 controller (plus they stole the design from the Dreamcast one!) I like how the R2 button is bigger and is much easier to find.

I liked the design..  about ten years ago, but it hasn't aged well.  Like I said, it has awkward analogue placement, and is basically a mutant hybrid of the Dualshock with features taken from both the Wii and the 360's controllers.  I find the trigger quite uncomfortable to use in racing games, hence my comment about GTA being easier to play on the 360.

Playing games like Resistance is a real joy as you don't have 12 year old kids cussing and being idoits!!

Again you bring up this arguement that plagues every single online community ever created.  Yes, there are a lot of immature people playing Halo, but the reason you run in to them more frequently than in something like Resistance is because of the size of the user base.  Let me break this down for you.  My University class consists of seven people, what are the chances of someone in my class being a complete moron, as opposed to one of my friends who regularaly has over 40 people in his?  A lot of people play Halo 3.  Not so many play Resistance, but chances are you're still going to meet bad people, sooner or later.  So again, if you don't like them, simply mute them.  Or turn off your player communication altogether, give them bad feedback, there are numerous options to completely block off these people.

Ok first off games like Assassian's Creed was developed for the PS3 as well as DMC4 they just decided to port them to the 360.  If you actually look at a comparasion side by side you will see the PS3 version is much better.  I also think the control for the PS3 version works better.

Highly subjectable.  Some say the 360 looks better, others say the PS3 does.  IMO, there's very little difference between the two, and it's certainly nothing you would notice even playing both versions one after the other.  the PS3 version of Assassins Creed has some strange grainy filter on it, but I certainly would not say it looks "much better" in comparasion.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/28006.html

Oh and as far as achievments you can get achievements so easiler that to me they are pointless.  Let's see in some of the sports games you can gain 1000 points just by playing a short game or in the Avatar game you can make 1500 points right off the bat for killing enemies on a certain floor.  To me that is just a waste so it really doesn't mean anything at all just a way to show off and say look how lame I am and I have no live expect to unlock everything in this game :)

Perhaps you didn't read what I said.  Achievements can extend the replayability of certain games, by giving you something for accomplishing goals you wouldn't normally bother with.  To me that's something, and I don't think certain games handing them away for nothing lessens that in anyway.  After all, you can check what achievements a player has unlocked by checking their profile, it's not like they can pretend to be better than they are by completing a bunch of easy games, and besides that..  I've never actually seen anyone boasting about achievements.  Like I said, I enjoy them for my own personal use, because they give me some level of accomplishment for playing through games.  I'm sure nobody else cares what I've played or what I've done in each game, but I certainly like to have a record of it.

There really aren't any good exclusive games coming out for the 360.  GTAIV is not my kind of game and the extra content that is coming on it MS paid a butt load for it.  Also Rockstar has an exclusive game coming for the PS3 so they aren't too worried about GTA at all.  What is the extra content gonna be probably a lvl or a car or something that at some point will come to the PS3 via a download after 6 months or so.

Again, that's completely subjective.  Ninja Gaiden 2, Gears of War 2, Fable 2, Mass Effect 2, Jade Empire 2 (lot's of 2's..) Splinter Cell Conviction, Halo Wars.  There's a lot of games I'm looking forward to on the 360, where as for the PS3 I'm only really looking forward to Final Fantasy XIII, which likely won't be released this year and LittleBigPlanet.  I am a big fan of the Metal Gear series..  but after the recent trailer.. they may as well have had Snake riding a motorcycle over a shark.  But point being, you can't claim there's no good 360 game coming, just because they don't interest you.

I really think developers now are realizing the power the PS3 has now.  Plus the PS3 has the Blu Ray player built in that can hold quite a bit of data.   So you will see games for the PS3 come on one disk as opposed to the 360 coming on 4 or 5 disks.  And the problem I have with that is with the technology we have today we shouldn't have to be swaping disks like that back in the PS1 era it was to be expected.  I really don't like swapping disks at all on any machine but with the power of the PS3 and blu ray we will see that problem resolved.

Again, it wasn't a problem in the past, I don't see why it's a problem now.  In hindsight, maybe Microsoft was wrong not to use a new disc technology in their console, but one of the issues a lot of people had with the original Xbox were because of things like that.  People want smaller, compact gaming machines, the Xbox was very big and had a lot of unnecessary technology built in, making it rather expensive.  I still find it quite amusing that the PS2 and Xbox more or less switched places, with the PS3 being more similar to the Xbox and the 360 being like the PS2.

While some games run better on the Xbox 360, I think that is more a case of developers not optimizing the game for the PS 3. The controls are debatable, I have found the 360 to be very good (especially for shooters and 3rd person games) I also find it horrid with fighters and anything that requires you to use the d-pad (it really sucks). I like the PS 3 controller, but I would have preferred to have had the L2, R2 buttons from the Dualshock 2 instead of the triggers on the Sixaxis, but it isn't a major complaint.

This is something I still don't really understand..  People actually still use the d-pad for fighting games?  I do agree that the 360's d-pad is garbage, but I can't think of a single example of when it's needed.

Also didn't Rockstar announce that there would be content for the PS 3 version as well?

"* When MS says exclusive, they mean that no other system can have DLC content for GTAIV
* It will be bigger than a lot of people think. GTA3 Vice City and San Andreas were basically expansions of GTA3. Think of the DLC that way. We are talking major expansion for GTAIV
* No price has been discussed yet. Its up to Rockstar on whether or not they will charge for it
* If successful, DLC may be the new way to deliver GTA expansions"