Author Topic: Episode 20 Posted  (Read 9394 times)

Offline Gaming Steve

• Master Chief
  • Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Steve
Episode 20 Posted
« on: August 31, 2005, 09:41:08 pm »
This week is the "extra large news week" edition and two "reviews" and two "RetroReviews"! Oh yeah, and if you buy the new "super insane crazy Xbox 360 bundle" I'll have you on my show! Enjoy the gaming bounty:
  • Game Boy Micro coming September 19th ... how many more can they make?!
  • Zelda: Twilight Princess delayed, of course.
  • Xbox $399.
  • All hail! Caesar returns to the PC!
  • Madden 2006 tackles sale charts.
  • Star Wars Galaxies causes a great disturbance in the Force.
  • Halo goes Hollywood.
  • China gets serious with online gaming addicts.
  • Come on, buy the Xbox 360 Omega bundle for $2000 ... I dare you!
  • Auto Assault applies the brakes.
  • Asheron's Call 2 goes dark.
  • Nintendo buys itself.
  • We Love Katamari, oh yes we do!
  • Another week, another million people join WOW.
  • Xbox Live 2.0 priced.
  • GameTalk: What on earth was Microsoft thinking when they priced the Xbox 360?
  • SporeTalk: No news is good news?
  • QuickTake: Advance Wars Dual Strike for the Nintendo DS.
  • QuickTake: Nintendogs for the Nintendo DS.
  • RetroReview: Military Madness for the TurboGrafx-16.
  • RetroReview: The Little Computer People Discovery Kit for the PC.
  • “Name That Game!” contest winner from last week, a new clip, and a new prize!
  • Show mail!
  • Plus some very quick random thoughts.

Get the podcast from this page (100 minutes): Gaming Steve Episode 20.

To enter the "Name that Game!" contest to write me an email with the name of the game and the platform at: game@gamingsteve.com

You can also subscribe to the weekly podcast.

Check out Gaming Steve on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/thegamingsteve

Offline Cobra

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • People want ducks.
    • View Profile
Re: Episode 20 Posted
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2005, 11:53:33 pm »
Just finished listening. Now I have to save my money for a DS.

Offline Gauphastus

• Ice Climber
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2005, 12:30:23 am »
That was a goodie. I like lots of news, even if I've heard about it a few times already.

But of all games, I've just been wondering what happened with Uncharted Waters Online... since the little tidbits from E3, I can't find jack.  :(
"Ma all the gods of furious strong be with you as you crunch opposents, and live like a windrammer as you f**k."
       ~Ricky Wangstrom

Offline bselig

• Boot Hill Bandit
    • View Profile
Critical nitpick
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2005, 03:29:28 am »
Before Nectaris, a game called Desert Commander on the NES came out with pretty much the exact same format.  I know this 'cause it was one of the only games I've ever seen my father play.  Not sure when it came out in the US, but it came out 10 months earlier in Japan via gamefaqs.

I'm guessing there were PC games prior, since the whole hex-based grognard genre came out of boardgames, which were ported to the PC, but I can't think of any.

Offline LadyM

• Mortal Kombat Konqueror
  • I'm not confused anymore
    • View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2005, 04:16:25 am »
Downloading now.  :) Now I have something to listen to while I mow the yard.

Offline 762

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2005, 06:04:29 am »
After I get off the tech support line with my cable company, I'm going to have to listen. And post the times for everything.

Whoops, already been done.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2005, 06:14:16 am by B-ROD »

Spore countdowns: USA Europe

Offline Beomoose

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Serpents
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2005, 11:34:26 am »
ROFL the XBOX 360 bundle bit was hilarious, when Steve said "The Omega Bundle" I just cracked up. $2000 for a XBOX 360 bundle? Interview hell, I'd beat you with a Nerf bat for half an hour.
With Your Shield, Or On it.

Offline Toshipaine

• Microvision Master
    • View Profile
    • web - music - art :: kxmode
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2005, 12:28:41 pm »
Why don't they just called the bundle what it really is, "The Flogging Bundle" (with complimentary cat-o-nines) because that's what a person is going to feel like after the hype dies down and they check out their credit card bill. Now couple that with the fact that Katrina single-handedly bumped up gas prices to $3 bucks a gallon. And most of the southeast is pretty much out of comission. Many residents don't have any money to buy anything and what little they do have will go to rebuilding their lives. I think Microsoft is living in a "bubble". In their bubble-world they believe everyone has $600 bucks to go burn on a gaming system. Steve your comments about parents relizing they're about to buy little Johnny a $600 system, then relizing they don't even have a computer was hiliarious! :D

Offline GameManic

• Dragster Diehard
  • I can't let you leave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2005, 03:13:08 pm »
This podcast is intense. :D
"Listen, I mean that from my knowledge of the world that I see around me, I think that it is much more likely that the reports of flying saucers are the results of the known irrational characteristics of terrestrial intelligence than of the unknown rational efforts of extra-terrestrial intelligence."
-Richard Feynman

Offline LadyM

• Mortal Kombat Konqueror
  • I'm not confused anymore
    • View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2005, 03:22:17 pm »
Great podcast! Toshipaine brings up an interesting point. With the daily changing situation regarding the aftermath of Katrina, I think the last thing on people's mind might be buying a video game system. Even though the game system will come out months from now, who know whats going to be happening by then. The storm season is not over either. Anyway, Microsoft might find themselves with alot of unsold 360's due to bad judgement on pricing when its over. An interesting follow up might be what effect if any this disaster has had on the gaming industry sales.

That being said, I'm very tempted to buy the Omega system just to see if Steve keeps his word.  ;)

Offline Toshipaine

• Microvision Master
    • View Profile
    • web - music - art :: kxmode
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2005, 04:51:41 pm »
Great podcast! Toshipaine brings up an interesting point. With the daily changing situation regarding the aftermath of Katrina, I think the last thing on people's mind might be buying a video game system. Even though the game system will come out months from now, who know whats going to be happening by then. The storm season is not over either. Anyway, Microsoft might find themselves with alot of unsold 360's due to bad judgement on pricing when its over. An interesting follow up might be what effect if any this disaster has had on the gaming industry sales.

SONY is going to wait until late 2006 or early 2007 to release the PS3. This is a brillant move. Let the 800 lbs Gorilla doll out uber wades of cash trying to convince gamers and parents to shell out $600 bucks this holiday season. You can't put a price tag on that kind of real-world testing.

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
  • tastes just like chicken
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2005, 07:19:09 pm »
Very good podcast, Steve! One of the better ones, not that any aren't good. Man, $2,000, thaat's almost as much as I spent for college this semester, including books. Go to college, or by Omega, hmm... If they sell any, they'd be lucky. If I ever have enough money to get an Xbox 360, I'd have to see, but it seems rather expensive, a PC can do pretty much the same thing and I already have one of those.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2005, 04:16:39 am »
who wants all the launch games anyway, in any console launch theres only likely to be one or two games that are actually worth playing, look at the crap that came out with the DS.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
  • Life is worth much more than gold
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2005, 12:15:14 pm »
Yay

(I did see it the day it came out but my laptops charger went dead I my replacement miss a wire so I haven't been able to hear it before today)

Quote from: /lurk
PALM: Oh face, come closer. I've needed your touch since I heard that fundamentalist Christians were being stupid again.
FACE: Not again! Quickly Palm, come to me!

Offline Rusty117

• Boot Hill Bandit
  • WAAA!! HOLY CRAP!!
    • View Profile
    • Rusty's Realm (My ultra packed Media podcast. covers Games, Movies, TV, and more. Your Entertainment Weekly on the go!
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2005, 02:19:28 pm »
I WON!!! OMG I WONN!!! AHAHAH!!

WOw, a big episode for me. I won Name That Game! Out of hundreds of people (well, maybe) I won!! Sweet!! I am so happy, Imm gonna go eat some walnuts. Cant wait for that cape, Ima wear it to school when i get it. SOrry i sent in the adress on thursday, I listened a little late.

CIao,

Rusty
"Yes, I bet that everyerone, deep inside their hearts, loved the original Xbox controller. And If I'm lying, may lightning strike-"
God-"One step ahead of you, dood."
BOOOM!

My podcast-
http://rustyrealm.blogspot.com

www.meatlessmeatloaf.com