Author Topic: Year of the Previous Post  (Read 46321 times)

Offline Met

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • Well... whatever.
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Userpage
Year of the Previous Post
« on: January 26, 2008, 09:27:57 pm »
READ RULES BEFORE POSTING
It's getting ridiculous how many people aren't reading the game rules. Deviation from the rules will be considered spam and reported. Please see the Forum Game Rules thread for more details.

Alright. Strange idea for a forum game came to mind a minute ago. So rather than thinking before I post, here it is.

You take the previous posters post count. That's the "Year" you're working with. You then come up with a headline for an average newspaper that would come up during that year.

PAST. If the "Year" is from a time that has already passed, you come up with a headline of an event that did happen in that year.

FUTURE. If the "Year" is in the future, you come up with an event for a headline in that year. Now it can be a bit silly, but let's not get too whacked out here.

So if the last poster has a post count of 1776. You might put as the headline "1776: Declaration of Independance for the United States Signed." Keep in mind I'd rather like the headlines regarding years in the past to be true events. Don't make up your own like "Germany Wins WWII" or anything different then what happend. Leave the fun stuff for the post on future headlines.

If the last poster had a post count of 2556, you could post as the headline "Cure for Common Cold Discovered"

Keep all Headlines the size of normal Headlines! I don't need the full story here. Just a couple of words to summarize the events. They are headlines, not the articles. Nothing beyond a line of text on a 1152 by 864 pixel view.

EXAMPLE: This is about the max I would like the article headlines to be. I think there's plenty space here to say what you want to say. Sound good? Great.

POST THE YEAR. It's really hard to add it to the timeline if I don't have an exact year. What I see as the Previous Post count may have been different then what you had in mind when making the headline.

APOCOLYPTIC. Closing the Universe and complete destruction of human species... it just doesn't lead to a good future for the game. I prefer you didn't have anything too bad. I might add it if I feel the game can continue with it well or if it's REALLY funny. Otherwise I won't add it to the timeline.

OOG: Hey met, think you could make a no spore rule or at least say that it isn't recommended? Spore jokes get old really, really fast.

I second that. I think references to current trends when making up future history are lame in general.

Yeah, this sounds good. Everyone keep it in mind when posting. Anyone found to be ignorant of this rule will simply be ignored. Might ask a mod to lend some divine intervention.

If you need help on past years, you can search the year on Wikipedia. Here is the year 1776 on Wikipedia for example.

This could be interesting. We could make our own timeline for the history of earth. With KS and Patman's posts, we could define history well beyond the year 15,000.

I'll update this post with all the headlines organized every so often. That way the headlines you come up with for a given year can have something to do with events from a year near that time.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 06:28:53 pm by Met »

Offline Met

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • Well... whatever.
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Userpage
Re: Year of the Previous Post
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2008, 09:28:32 pm »
Timeline

BC
667: Assyrians conquer the Egyptian Empire.
525: Aeschylus, author of Greek tragedies is born.

AD
4: Polianus Maradonius becomes Archon of Athens.
8: Vonones I becomes king of Parthia.
9: Latin and German forces choose the Rhine River as the line between their territories.  Border Services sets up checkpoints.
12: Annius Rufus is appointed Prefect of Judea
44:  Man reports on how two years ago, he heard some of the most awful poetry in his life, claims that it was "Vogon".
56: War between Rome and Parthia breaks out due to the invasion of Armenia by Vologases.
66: Peasants point god-like glow in the sky named "Halley" and describe how YOU can please it.
70: Building of roman Colosseum starts.
73: Martial writes a satire on "military cowardice".
77: Romans occupy the Scottish Isles for the first time.
78: The philosopher Wang Chong struggles to find a material cause for his being called Wang Chong.
79: Mount Vesuvius erupts, obliberating Pompeii and nearby Herculaneum in layers of ash and pyroclastic flow debribs.
94: An Emperor of China is born.
97: New Pope deemed far less Clement than predecessor.
104: Apollodorus of Damascus builds a stone bridge over the Danube!
109: Christian Church Proclaims Itself "Universal"
123: Nations giggle at the year being "one two three"
124: Hadrian Begins To Rebuild Olympeion In Athens.
126: Emperor Hadrian looking for a way to improve Coliseum attendance, considers adding a cartoon mascot.
136: Pope Hyginus succeeds Pope Telesphorus.
142:Construction of Anontine Wall begins in Scottland.
151: Mytilene and Smyrna ROCKED by an earthquake.
155: Rome tolerates Judaism as a religion.
159: Nothing Really Exciting Happens, Other Then Something In India Which I Can't Be Bothered Typing.
173: Ptolemy VI Philometor marries his sister cleopatra
176: Commodus becomes co-emperor to his father, Marcus Aurelius, and starts to show off.
189: Fourteenth Pope made.  Thirteenth one apparently isn't lucky enough to continue being Pope (wonder why?)
190: Egypt's money under roman rule drops, no more Bread?
196: Hadrian's Wall in Britain Partially Destroyed!
202: Roman law bans female gladiators.
212: Epressa becomes a Paper String, I mean Roman Providence, read all about it!
306: Constantine I is proclaimed Emperor by his troops.
315: A program of assistance to the poor is established in the Roman Empire!
339: Athanasius is deposed as Patriarch of Alexandria.
360: The first meeting of Constantinople held.
382: Alaric I is crowned king of the Visigoths.
435: Vandals are allowed territory in North Africa!
453: Attila the Hundies of a nose bleed. Declared the most anticlimactic way to go ever!
489: Theodoric, king of the Ostrogoths, continues his invasion of Italy with the approval of Byzantine emperor Zeno.
492: Langanus Revolts against Anastasius 1.
493: Goryo defeat Kajalians!  Goryonian liberals complain taht Goryo should pull out.
494: The Lupercalia festival is replaced by Candlemas. The fools will never know the difference!
501: Qi He Di becomes the ruler of the Chinese southern Qi Dynasty.
505: Belisarius born, Prophets say he will clean up Vandalism
509: Emperor Kimmei crowned the 29th emperor of Japan.
511: Yang Yin is born.
515: All Records Of The Happenings Of This Year Burned Due to Bon Fire!
525: Calendar proposed based on birth of Jesus Christ, Atheists Rage
548: Theudigisel succeeds Theudis as king of the Visigoths.
554: The Ostrogoths are evicted from Rome by the Byzatines. Citizens rejoice as the 300 year kegger finally ends!
596: King Ethelbert of Kent requests Missionaries!
634: Gasp. Something interesting occurs. Astounding.
642: Arabs invade Nubia!
648: The Book of Jin is compiled in China during the Tang Dynasty.
782: Emperor Konin of Japan dies.
800: Charlemagne is crowned emperor.
804: People get bored of the Leshan Giant Buddha, and regret wasting 90 years on it.
809: Emperor Saga replaces Emperor Helsi in Japan, Some Wonder If Perhaps His Name Is Too Epic.
821: Tang Mu Zong becomes Emperor of China.
825: Emperor Louis the Pious of the Franks wars against the Wends and Sorbs.
834: The Vikings first raid Dorestad
873: Vikings raid! Pillaging abound? Or PAAAAARTY?
879: Wilfred the hairy founds a monastery, invents Brazilian wax.
880: Someone says "Dortmund," Town Established.
886: Alfred the Great conquers London, boarders shift.
892: Guy of Spoleto crowned Holy Roman Emperor!
901: New City Wall For Fuzhou
907: Tang Dynasty falls after 300 years.
914: The fighting Irish didn't stand a chance: Vikings conquer parts of Ireland.
919: King Edward I Conquers Bedford, Bed Prices Rise 150%
920: The first recorded act of upsetting the apple cart; there was only one survivor.
921: Henry the Fowler invades Bavaria, obtains fealty from Arnulf the Bad.
923: Battle of Soissons, King Robert I of France slain!
923: Liang dynasty falls to Tang Dynasty.  Some wonder how orange powdered drink can rule country.
924: Edward The Elder of England dead! Thousands of followers weep.
940: Mr. Ibn, an Islamic Calligrapher, died today.
943: Misprint in previous paper: King retired and became a MONK, not a MONKEY.
959: King Edwy of England Succeeded by brother Edgar, People can finally make fun of the former's name.
960: Mieszko 1 becomes ruler of Poland
962: Holy Roman Empire is Formed
1014: Holmgang is declared illegal in Norway.
1031: Henry I becomes king of France.
1036: Go-Suzaku becomes emperor of Japan.
1092: Lincoln Cathedral is consecrated.
1098: Jumpsuit Witches Heard Scheming About a "2300 China Town Attack"!
1106: Comet X/1106 C1 illuminates the sky, locals baffled by naming convention.
1107: Emperor Gaozong of Song is born.
1115: Gilbert Fitz Richard De Clare was born.
1125: Magnus the Strong becomes ruler of Sweden.
1230:Teutonic Knights allowed into Prussia!
1131: Peter the Hermit dies
1135: Henry I dies, nation struck with grief.
1165: William I becomes King of Scotland
1169: Elanor of Aquitane leaves English Court, Heare ye!
1169: Saladin becomes the sultan over the territory conquered of Egypt!
1278: Pope, "All Jews Must Attend Conversion Semons"
1313: Arnaldus de Villa Nova's dies while creating a cure for idiocy.
1315: Great Famine Begins!
1407: The Duke of Orleans is murdered. Orleans celebrates.
1409: Admiral Cheng Ho deposes the king of Sri Lanka
1411: Countries around the world celebrate nothing of real interest happening for a full year.
1422: Henry VI crowned king of England.
1428: Baynards Castle  burns in London. The roof, the roof, the roof is on fire... the roof, the roof, burn baby burn...
1437: Ulugh Beg's Zij-i-Sultani star catalogue is finally(!) published.
1444: European slave market for African slaves open.  Abolitionists facepalm.
1458:  Current theory is that spottings of "Time Traveler" claiming to be from 2860 to be just an April Fools Day Joke.
1570: Ivan the Terrible massacres the city of Novgorod.
1575: "Japans first modern battle ended with a nice cup of tea."
1579: "Dragon" kidnaps princess. Knights have no comment.
1585: Netherlands declares Gregorian calendar, confuses many.
1591: Tsarevich Demetrius found dead under mysterious circumstances, rival Boris Godunov suspected.
1603: Sir Walter Raleigh is arrested for treason.
1606: Guy Fawkes executed for plotting against the King and Parliament.
1607: God Save the Queen Becomes National Anthem - Critics say it wont last
1640: The Treaty of Ripon is signed, restoring peace between Scotland and Charles I of England.
1653: Oliver Cromwell declares self Lord Protector of England, Ireland and Scotland. And in other news, the Taj Mahal has been completed in India.
1659: Lord Protector Cromwell disbands the English Parliament.
1690: French Invade Teignmouth, Locals Say "They won't be back"
1700: January 1 (Julian) - Russia numbers its years from Christ instead of Creation
1714: The world's first ever mixed gender school established in Croydon, south of London, England.
1770: 10th Child Rescued From a Well This Week, News is Slow.
1864: First Geneva Convention, International Red Cross Founded.
1864: New York City annexes The Bronx.
1866: Chief Sealth, guy Seattle is named after dies! Seattle questions on changing name!
1868: Thomas Spence declares himself president of the Republic of Manitoba. He soon alienates the locals.
1869: First ever fatality due to automobile accident, coroner rules out 'whiplash' as cause.
1870: The year started on a Saturday.  There was much rejoicing.
1872: Yellowstone dubbed American National Park! Critic says- "It won't last."
1872 - Louis Ducos du Hauron creates the first color photograph.
1878: Tokyo Stock Exchange established.
1887: L. L. Zamenhof publishes "Dr. Esperanto's International Tongue".
1889: Eiffel Tower completed! Not as good as expected?
1890: Free silver? No, not really.
1898: Pepsi-Cola Introduced, Children Begin Swinging From Ceiling Fans.
1901: The world celebrates the beginning of the Twentieth Century! (As opposed to last year)
1905: Russian Army At Port Arthur Surrenders to Japan, World Shocked.
1911: Hiram Bingham rediscovers Machu Picchu.
1921: The Royal Navy K-boat K5 sinks in the English Channel with all 56 hands on board.
1943: The world's largest office building, The Pentagon, is dedicated in Arlington, Virginia.
1969: Student Jan Palach sets himself on fire in Prague's Wenceslas Square to protest the Soviet invasion of Czechoslovakia; 3 days later he dies.
1972: First scientific hand-held calculator created, price starts at $400.
1985: South Africa ends its ban on interracial marriages.
2009: First contact with alien life forms established.
2014: A massive flood of epic proportions kills millions in the city of Bubujubujubu, Kelmajerstan.
2019: Construction on the "Grand Staircase" space elevator begins.
2020: LIM space launch ring completed, intended as a competitor to the Space Elevator started last previous year.
2020: Sealab is destroyed by a giant octopus
2030: Plans for the iWand announced.
2038: Microsoft announces iWand competitor, Windows Magic.
2042:Duke Nukem Forever 2 is released.  Everyone confused as Duke Nukem Forever hadn't come out yet, making the plot unintelligible.
2050: Last iPhone thrown out at release of iWand.  Harms iCow sales greatly.
2066: RAAF Finally Gets F-35, Declared Obsolete By 36 Years.
2088: USA annexes Mexico for cheap labor, China outraged.
2116: "Grand Staircase" space elevator destroyed by terrorists.
2139: The Walmart and Target corporations combine into a single mega corporation; Waltarget. Analysts predict world domination by the year 3000.
2165: Star designated 'Freddie' eats the USS Hamster.
2196: Time Machine appears as President signs document, Time Traveler apologizes for the interference; faulty cloaking device to blame.
2223: After the fall of its competitors MccyDs and Ikea, Waltarget is the only department store left on Planet Earth.
2346: Waltarget goes bankrupt!  Thousands of stockholders broke!
2351: Microsoft company shuts down PC division.  Says electronic wands make obsolete.
2359: Emperor Janos declares war against all organics.
2374: The Fifteenth Republic of East Timor is established.
2411: Oldest and meanest man alive shot in the head. Experts say good riddance!
2421: First truly artificial intelligence.
2429: Robot revolution starts in North America.
2461: The Robot Empire adopts a new leader known as "Robo-Hitler"
2462: Warp drive invented. No-one believes scientists.
2464: Ward Drive System Demolished due to time Paradoxes.
2463: Plasguns become standard issue weaponry for national armies world wide!
2465- Man develops extra digit between the gap of the thumb and index finger, declared the new index finger! (original now known as "Thrimp")
2491: Terrorists are able to create VERY stinky stink bombs.
2493: Antimatter drive invented. Galactic ship sellers and merchants rejoice!
2496: Caesar's Legion of America, retakes the United State's claims on Canada. Bear cavalry lengthen this invasion beyond predicted elements.
2500: Leap years are re-instated after people see the disastrous effects of not following this tradition.
2503: Cure for all diseases found.
2503: Cure for all diseases lost.
2528: Presidential hopefuls vow to end war with our neighboring aliens along with lower taxes.
2534: All intelligent life in the universe is destroyed by evil robots, humans unharmed.
2564: Robo-Hitler Invades Planet Poland.
2570: The Alliance of Flanders is crushed at Pluto by the Jekats Navy.
2583: China bans iWands for the 897th time.
2732: The worlds first time paradox is recorded. Experts wait for predicted consequences.
2820: Entire planet lost, experts baffled.
2841: Canadian Bear Cavalry is founded, to prevent the re-invasion of Canada by the United States of America.
2842: Canadian genetic department says "Laser powered super-beavers" are on the way. Expected to outsell iStick.
2859: Alien life forms visit Earth and never leave.
2939: Comet smashes into the colony world of Rigel VII, obliberating all life, colonists evacuated beforehand luckily.
2975: Keith F. Johnson reclaims his title as King of the World in America.
2988: The world ends and a millisecond later a new universe takes up where it left off. No long-term effects.
3056: Cyborg Gates leaves Earth with his army of Microsoft robots.
3058: The battle of the Brians. Microsoft and Apple forces square off on the red planet.
3111: Mosquito replaces the cockroach as Kagegageania's national insect!
3112: USM President Mirrial Gwilth declares the 15th of September as a national holiday.
3113: Dr. Yu-Ping-Pong creates giant mutant frog! Creature frozen for safety reasons.
3114: Shrews become a sentient life form upon the desolate wasteland that Earth has become.
3121: The Bologna people from pluto begin the 45 year long war with Earth, after octopuses have become the dominant species.
3165: Galaxy secrets uncovered.
3192: A University dedicated to genetically altering frogs is founded in New Tokyo.
3207: Bullets are announced a currency in parts of the Outer Region
3208: 3208 Bejing Olympics opening ceremony ends.  Critics say "not as good as last time".
3212: Dogs acquire human intelligence, enslaves Humans.
3213: Dog Overlords Defeated.  Humans used gigantic bones to distract the dogs in their tactics.
3219: Dog survivors ask for equal rights, denied by humans
3266: A large genetically altered frog destroys New Tokyo.
3271: Controversy rages: Are robots alive?
3418: Sirius colonies secede from the Terran Empire.
3447: Riots erupt in Asia because of new ban of personal robots.
3467: Hewlett Packard rules the semi-destroyed Earth.
3506 - Now 2k has been released! Buy your copy of all the latest hit songs of the 3505-3606 era on Now 2k!
3689: The United Systems of Latiswahilia declares war on the Kingdom of Zeberberaria-IV. UGN, very displeased.
3861: SKYNET revitalizes itself as SKYchan.
3863: SKYNET SKYchan bluescreens.  Robots gather to attend funeral.
3887: Big Brother relinquishes power in Oceania.
3893: Ludicrous speed mastered!
3925: Tzar Kaiser Caesar becomes leader of East Macedonia. The world cares very little.
4058: Smoking is finally banned after centuries of lobbying.
4068: Possible cure for Y-Type virus found in caterpillar extract!
4069: Possible cure for Y-Type virus disproved. Scientists now look for possible cure in dog's eyes.
4071:  Definite cure for Y-type virus is being sent out daily to all people infected.
4162: Man jumps to Mars using new shoes.
4202: The last remaining bear is eaten by a paper frog.
4531: Eastern Galaxy almost devoid of life, survivors have yet to give an explanation.
5667: Human colony on Reginal II declares independence after 8 year war with Colonial Forces.
6317: The Infinite War finally ends.
6319: Duke Nukem Forever "Nearly Finished," Game Industry Laughs.
6321: "Post-Combine Tomb found, Name translates to 'Gordon Freeman'"
6325: First artificial president of Trans-Asia appointed.
6329: Archeology reveals mystery box. Sources say runes on box are "W-I-I"
6332: Imperial laundry frigate Hyperbole seized by space pirates en route to dry dock.
6337: Sixth anniversary of the "Leet" year
6340: Leet becomes an official language!
6344: Humans finally discover that Care Bears do in-fact exist.
6355: 4th coming of Robot Jesus, Peru prepares their Time Nukes.
6387: Hollywood is shut down due to the continued dominance of interactive games.
6400: Flying Cars Predicted by 6600
6538: New! Retro Ancient iWands! Get Yours Today!
6823: Jesus's Second Coming! The world brushes it aside however as they are all now worshipers of McKFC and Waltarget.
15669: Humans Seen as Second Class Citizens After Destruction of Earth.
15739: Humans 3rd Class Citizens Due to Increase of Advanced Talking iWands.
15752: Win Diagnosed as a lethal illness.
15778: Old Earth found, no life to speak of.
15882: Human rinds sweep galaxy as best snack!
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 04:21:09 pm by Met »

Offline Met

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • Well... whatever.
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Userpage
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2008, 09:29:30 pm »
Future Timeline space if last post hit 20,000 character limit. Never know and would like to have all the timeline info organized at the start of thread rather than linking to god knows how far we may possibly go.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2008, 09:38:27 pm by Met »

Offline martyk

• Simon Belmont
  • Never underestimate the power of dolphin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2008, 09:37:37 pm »
1585: The year began on a Tuesday.  There was much rejoicing.
Quote from: Doctor Zay
Martyk is a handsome fish.
Quote from: Brandonazz
This dolphin is delicious.
<Sgore> Martyk, mentally I always picture you as like, our forums bartender.
<Neoadept> I've always pictured you trapped in a tuna net

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2008, 09:42:16 pm »
920: The first recorded act of upsetting the apple cart; there was only one survivor.

Offline Doctor Z

• Space Harrier
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2008, 09:56:48 pm »
15669: Earth, the cradle of Human life, has been destroyed by George W. Bush the 235153th, by declaring Cosmos War 34. Humans are now seen as second class citizens.

Offline martyk

• Simon Belmont
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2008, 10:29:39 pm »
1411: Countries around the world celebrate nothing of real interest happening for a full year.

Offline SBD

• Duck Hunter
  • It stands for Ship-Borne Dive bomber, people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2008, 10:34:08 pm »
921: Henry the Fowler invades Bavaria, obtains fealty from Arnulf the Bad.

Offline martyk

• Simon Belmont
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2008, 11:01:07 pm »
2353: After 50 years, a group of surviving societies get together and officially declare world war 3 over, depsite the fact that in practise it's been over since humankind anhialted themselves through MAD back in 2303.

Offline Met

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • Well... whatever.
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Userpage
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2008, 11:12:01 pm »
OOG: Continue playing from Martyk's post. Not this one. But from now on, keep the headlines to the size of a headline. What would be a headline? You're not going into too much detail here. Last post wouldn't make a good headline. I summarized it for the timeline. I rather not summarize any others.

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
  • Life is worth much more than gold
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2008, 04:42:32 am »
1591: Tsarevich Demetrius found dead under mysterious circumstances, rival Boris Godunov suspected.

Quote from: /lurk
PALM: Oh face, come closer. I've needed your touch since I heard that fundamentalist Christians were being stupid again.
FACE: Not again! Quickly Palm, come to me!

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
    • KOSMOSIS CHRONICLES dA Page
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2008, 05:11:07 am »
6317: The Infinite War finally ends.

Offline Tesla

• Street Fighter Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2008, 05:16:38 am »
804: People get bored of the Leshan Giant Buddha, and regret wasting 90 years on it.
No way dude, you're trolling me.

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
  • Life is worth much more than gold
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2008, 05:23:18 am »
5667: Human colony on Reginal II declares independence after 8 year war with Colonial Forces.

Quote from: /lurk
PALM: Oh face, come closer. I've needed your touch since I heard that fundamentalist Christians were being stupid again.
FACE: Not again! Quickly Palm, come to me!

Offline SBD

• Duck Hunter
  • It stands for Ship-Borne Dive bomber, people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2008, 05:31:06 am »
Duke Nukem Forever "Nearly Finished," Game Industry Laughs