Author Topic: Watchmen  (Read 7003 times)

Offline GameManic

• Dragster Diehard
  • I can't let you leave.
    • View Profile
Watchmen
« on: January 23, 2008, 05:24:40 pm »
I started reading this masterpiece of a graphic novel again and I just felt like letting you all know that its probably one of the best things I have read. If you haven't read it then I definitely recommend it.  For those of you who have why not discuss our opinions on wether or not we agree with what some of the characters did and such.

"Listen, I mean that from my knowledge of the world that I see around me, I think that it is much more likely that the reports of flying saucers are the results of the known irrational characteristics of terrestrial intelligence than of the unknown rational efforts of extra-terrestrial intelligence."
-Richard Feynman

Offline Celdur

• R-Type Force Pod
  • :33
    • View Profile
Re: Watchmen
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2008, 03:27:29 am »
talking like that wont motivate me you know...whats it about?

Quote from: Krakow sam
That quote is actualy very witty, Celdur. I suggest you use that in your signature.

Offline GameManic

• Dragster Diehard
  • I can't let you leave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2008, 07:11:31 am »
It takes place in an alternate history where costumed vigilantes actually emerged in the 1930s instead of just being comic book characters.  It treats it seriously so that you get a feel of what it would actually be like if people went around beating up criminals and taking the law into their own hands.  The novel takes place in the early 80s in the US and by that point the vigilantes have long passed their glory days and are actually outlawed since they undermined the police force to the point where riots took place. There is also only one individual with superhuman abilities and it also shows how a superhero would affect the psychological health of the world and such.

As far as the main story goes it is kicked off by the murder of one of the retired vigilantes.  His murder is illegally investigated by one of the former vigilantes who never retired despite the laws against it.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2008, 07:13:18 am by GameManic »
"Listen, I mean that from my knowledge of the world that I see around me, I think that it is much more likely that the reports of flying saucers are the results of the known irrational characteristics of terrestrial intelligence than of the unknown rational efforts of extra-terrestrial intelligence."
-Richard Feynman

Offline smurfslayer

• Centipede Crackerjack
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2008, 06:59:45 pm »
Got interested in this after the trailer for the movie came out. Just finished it about 30 seconds ago. Holy **** was it awesome. Everybody, go read it right now. Just do it.

Offline Tesla

• Street Fighter Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2008, 03:03:55 am »
I'm on volume III.
No way dude, you're trolling me.

Offline OldSnakeWontDie

• Fire Truck Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2008, 05:27:16 pm »
I still need to go out and look for it.

Offline Elyanna

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Spore Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2008, 01:47:18 pm »
Watchmen is amazing. The trailer makes the movie look promising!
My spore profile: http://www.spore.com/view/profile/elyanna
I like to make plausible creatures.

Offline Connor

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2008, 08:45:56 am »
I saw the trailer for the movie and thought it looked amazing. I headed out to my local Borders store that week (well, local as in "within twenty minutes drive and over a bridge") to try and buy the graphic novel, but they only had three copies and they were all misprints, so I had to come back a week later. Then I forgot.

I'm hoping somebody knows me well enough to buy me a copy for Christmas.

Offline DarthZahl

• Akalabeth Addict
  • There's no escape from mankind!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2009, 03:36:03 pm »
I started reading this masterpiece of a graphic novel again and I just felt like letting you all know that its probably one of the best things I have read. If you haven't read it then I definitely recommend it.  For those of you who have why not discuss our opinions on wether or not we agree with what some of the characters did and such.
I feel the same. It's definitely one of the best things I've read.
My english vocabulary isn't big enough to describe how much I liked it ;)
The pictures, their symbolism and their composition on its own would be enough for me to write an essay about...!

Offline Kishmond

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • Alfalfa Mainframe
    • View Profile
    • I'll Eat Your Brains
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2009, 10:02:53 am »
It was really very good. I think it will make a great movie.
Yeah, [Kishmond] came back from Africa, but the ponies have him now.

Offline Andrew Ryan

• Simon Belmont
  • A man has a choice, I chose the impossible!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2009, 06:27:01 pm »
I was fortunate enough to get a special hardcover edition of this comic before all the hype really started for it. Considering it was also on Times greatest 100 books since 1920, I figured it was good.

Man, that book is epic.
"Don't worry 'bout me. I wouldn't worry about me. Don't you worry about me. Don't you worry 'bout me!" - Talking Heads, Don't Worry About the Government

Offline Person21

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2009, 07:16:24 pm »
Wow. I had no idea Time employed Time Travellers. ;)
Person21 - As enjoyed by Veraal.
A wise Surface to Air Missile once said about marrying 9 year olds in Saudi Arabia "Its pretty hard to tell if a 9 year old is going to be hot when she grows up, kids change a lot, usually, seems like a bad system. That cute little nine year old you married could end being a fat, zitty teenager."

Offline operaghost21

• Rush'n Attacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2009, 07:04:32 pm »
It was really very good. I think it will make a great movie.

quality of the text has nothing to do with quality of the movie...  :-\  (in general, I'm sure this is gonna be awesome)
"You hate people!"
"But I love gatherings. Isn't that ironic?"
~Clerks
Quote from: Kaizer
THINGS TO DO:
Get quoted to a sig [ ]

Offline smurfslayer

• Centipede Crackerjack
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2010, 09:55:20 am »
Hey guys. So I loved the book but thought the movie was just so-so. It gave me an idea though and I ran with it. I made a blend of the comic and movie, and I'm pretty proud of it. Check it out: http://liquidpenguin.blogspot.com/2010/07/watchmen-comic-cut-at-midnight-all.html