Author Topic: The real reasons SPORE was delayed  (Read 7160 times)

Offline papaboom

• Stargate Superstar
  • ..these go to 11
    • View Profile
The real reasons SPORE was delayed
« on: January 23, 2008, 01:16:54 pm »
Not that this necessarily required a new thread - but what the heck..

Since the release of information regarding SPORE's availability to Mac users - there has been a great deal of speculation as to why the game was delayed in the first place. Alot of people both here and in the so-called gaming-press (which seem less informed than we do) have speculated on why the game has been delayed - and what has been going on.. Well - if possible I'd like to attempt to set the record straight.

First - allow me to state that for the record - I wouldnt believe anything stated by PR people (who as I've alluded to in the past are paid liars) or EA's legion of "suits" - they're not to be trusted. I do however think Will Wright is the only reliable source of information regarding the game - that and certain other "facts."

My take on why the game was released comes from two such facts - one from an interview with Wright in October of 2007 and the other involved the hiring of Soren Johnson back in April of 07.

1) The game IS in final testing - but not due to bugs or technical issues (at least if WW is to be believed) - he stated in October that that game was on track for release in "about 6 months" - and that final-testing in this case meant they were trying to ensure broad-appeal to casual gamers.

2) I think the other phases were probably "good enough" last summer - but the Civ game was likely just not very fun. In fact I think alot of the "polishing" likely involved game-play elements in the Civ-stage. Hence the hiring of Soren.

Now - I think both of these raise some interesting questions:

1) Will SPORE suffer from so much testing to ensure broad-appeal? It's often the case that great works are compromised for the sake of commerce - this happens alot in the entertainment world. Too often broad-appeal = dumbed-down.

2) Since Soren Johnson is a turn-based strategy game designed - is the Civ-stage going to be turn-based or RTS?

Offline Hammerman58

• Q*Bert Qrazy
  • Thor carrier of the mightiest hammer
    • View Profile
Re: The real reasons SPORE was delayed
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 01:24:00 pm »
This better not be another crackpot conspiracy.  :-\
STOP HAMMERTIME 
PSN Names YaY I got a thread stickied.

Offline Veraal

• Zelda Zealot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 01:42:40 pm »
This better not be another Duke Nukem forever.

Oh,wait. already happened (it feels.)

Offline Gauphastus

• Ice Climber
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 02:09:22 pm »
Sometimes I think we make this game a little too important, giving it all this constant critical thinking and theories as to what is going on -- what we're seeing, what we're not seeing...

Eh. The alternatives though, they're far less interesting.

Do go on.  ;)
"Ma all the gods of furious strong be with you as you crunch opposents, and live like a windrammer as you f**k."
       ~Ricky Wangstrom

Offline vbGamer

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2008, 02:25:05 pm »

2) Since Soren Johnson is a turn-based strategy game designed - is the Civ-stage going to be turn-based or RTS?

Soren is much more of an AI programmer, which was part of the turn-based strategy game (In fact, his main goal was to make the game less hard-coded, and more modable, to put it simply. i.e., more dynamic code.). You can't always judge a programmer by the games (or programs) they make. The civ stage is going to be just like the rest of the game, only with a more real-time AI, of course.

Offline Fobok

• Fishing Derby Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2008, 02:31:36 pm »
1) Will SPORE suffer from so much testing to ensure broad-appeal? It's often the case that great works are compromised for the sake of commerce - this happens alot in the entertainment world. Too often broad-appeal = dumbed-down.

Seriously, what are people expecting from this game? It was said from the beginning that the stages would all be simplified versions of their genres. We're looking at a game like Sims 2 I imagine. Broad appeal, simple gameplay, but lots to do.

Offline Daan

• Lode Runner
  • Cookie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2008, 02:44:54 pm »
Well, I must say the game does seem less advanced in terms of promised abilities than it was when we saw the GDC video all those years ago.

Offline papaboom

• Stargate Superstar
  • ..these go to 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2008, 03:50:23 pm »
This better not be another crackpot conspiracy.  :-\

No the statements above are true..

http://www.destructoid.com/will-wright-spore-is-about-six-months-out-50862.phtml - source on Wright stating that final-testing was focused on making the game have a broader appeal - AND the "six months" release-window.. Note this was released on Oct 24th.

And here is the source on Soren Johnson joining the SPORE team..
http://kotaku.com/gaming/soren-johnson/soren-johnson-leaves-civilization-253293.php

As for as Soren being brought on for modular-design/best-practice stuff - thats for Civ? Certainly they were following a modular design pattern in SPORE - there's no way the SPORE devs werent doing that before Soren.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 04:41:26 pm by papaboom »

Offline Markonite2

• Mystery House Madman
  • Got Souls?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2008, 12:48:53 pm »
I don't like threads like this. Something more reasonable to discuss would be whether the whole "Spore will be on MAC" thing is the reason it was delayed so long.

I could almost believe that some of the waiting was an attempt to cross program the game to come out on both OS's.

Do you think this could be possible?
I don't. But if your gonna conspirate about anything, I might as well give you some good material.
'Streets of Spore': where you drive around in a low-poly world doing missions that don't relate to the game whatsoever...

The sig is like a fig. But really, who will triumph?
The almighty Ham, or the magical Spam, which lives in a can. - Anthony Reubon

Offline papaboom

• Stargate Superstar
  • ..these go to 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2008, 03:15:29 pm »
I don't like threads like this. Something more reasonable to discuss would be whether the whole "Spore will be on MAC" thing is the reason it was delayed so long.

I could almost believe that some of the waiting was an attempt to cross program the game to come out on both OS's.

Do you think this could be possible?
I don't. But if your gonna conspirate about anything, I might as well give you some good material.

Again - this is no conspiracy - it's what Will Wright actually said. The extended final testing was meant to focus on broadening the appeal of the game. The purpose was to provoke some sort of discussion about what effect - if any - broadening the appeal of SPORe might otherwise have on quality.

If you dont like this thread - it isnt necessary to post to it - if you think the thread's subject should be something different then you should make your own. Lastly - I am pretty sure "conspirate" is not a word.

Offline Lew

• Boot Hill Bandit
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2008, 05:36:49 pm »
It's easy:  there wasn't a game to Spore, just a bunch of editors.

What they've been doing is try to put a game that goes with the editors.  Thank whoever you believe in that it's Will Wright with his cash-cow SIMS history behind him- otherwise the project would have been shoved out the door half-baked long ago.

Think about it... what do we know FOR CERTAIN of the gameplay?

Cell: kill stuff to get DNA points to evolve
Creature: eat and reproduce, while not dying, to evolve
Tribal: make friends and gather food to technologically/ mentally/ tools-like/ or-whatever evolve.
City/Civ: We really have no information about this, but my guess is it has something to do with gathering "spice" to technologically evolve.
Space: Dink around until you get bored with the game.

See a trend?  There's no story (can't be one because of the premise of the game), so basically the game is a level grind with DNA/ brain/ tech/ spice/ whatever-you-want-to-call-them XP points.

My guess is that they're working really hard to put a compelling game to go with the editors.  Look at the people they've semi-recently added to the team (Soren being the #1 clue), and also look at the information we've been given: lots of editor time, almost nil on what the gameplay actually is.

I'm rooting for it, and waiting patiently... glad that it's Will Wright's proven cash cow working on it, otherwise it would be another in a long line of "out the door too early bargin bin" games.

Offline Tarrasque

• Mystery House Madman
  • Freedom at last!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2008, 06:53:20 pm »

Seriously, what are people expecting from this game? It was said from the beginning that the stages would all be simplified versions of their genres. We're looking at a game like Sims 2 I imagine. Broad appeal, simple gameplay, but lots to do.

What I expected from this game was what Wright showed at GDC 2005 - a Nature Red In Tooth And Claw evolution game plus the eventual civilization and space phases. Now it seems you can befriend other (non-sentient!) species by prancing around, with little hearts and stars flying around to visualize the good vibrations. Now it's a game that appeals maybe to little girls.
"I'm Jack's complete lack of surprise"

Offline Gorman Conall

• Space Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2008, 06:57:12 pm »
Oh my..looks we have a ton of little girls here on the forum. Show of hands?.

*Raises hand*

Offline jydnys

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2008, 09:37:33 pm »

What I expected from this game was what Wright showed at GDC 2005 - a Nature Red In Tooth And Claw evolution game plus the eventual civilization and space phases. Now it seems you can befriend other (non-sentient!) species by prancing around, with little hearts and stars flying around to visualize the good vibrations. Now it's a game that appeals maybe to little girls.

Spore won't have a broad appeal because it is watered down, it will have a broad appeal because there are lots of options and many different ways to play the game.  It has always been known that there would be a less violent approach to progressing through creature game; if that's how you chose to play the game.  It has always been known that there would be a more agressive approach to progressing throught creature game; if that's how you choose to play the game.

Honestly, if the guts and gore was the thing that won you over to spore in '05...  I seriously doubt you would have found the macroscopic gameplay elements of spore entertaining in the first place.

Regardless, I think this is the first "girls game" that I have seen that allows for murderous, planet-exploding rampages of mass genocide....  if that's how you choose to play the game  ;)

Offline Axelgear

• Fooblitzky Fooble
    • View Profile
    • Axel's Playground
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2008, 05:58:31 am »

My thoughts exactly. This game was what got me interested in so many of the natural sciences and now it's a pile of cutesy drivel. Will Wright killed it to "broaden its appeal", which, as suggested, is dumbing it down.

Whether Spore will be fun or not is yet to be seen. I imagine it will still be so. I imagine it will be a lot of fun to play through at least once and will inspire my inner child to carry on being interested in natural sciences and evolution. I'll definitely still buy it, call it daring and imaginative, and it will probably be the best game of the year*.

On the other hand, will it be the game I, and so many others, wanted? No chance.

*Unless someone creates something like Spore that is as I actually wanted it (I.E. More realistic)
Axel's Playground - Come see what I'm playing with today.