Author Topic: "San Quentin, I hate every inch of you..." Prison Debate.  (Read 4664 times)

Offline Quantum Burrito

• K.C. Munchkin Maestro
  • Up, Down, Strange, Charm, Top, Bottom, Burrito
    • View Profile
Re: "San Quentin, I hate every inch of you..." Prison Debate.
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2008, 03:22:15 am »
QB, if living in a Draconian prison, devoid of human contact for 23 hours a day, in constant fear of gang violence, isn't enough to make you want to live a more virtuous life (if for nothing else than to avoid going back), then what will? What's your alternate proposal? Punishment is an effective behavior modification tool used to prevent unwanted behaviors from occurring again. Maybe these people just don't want to be members of society. Then how do you try to fix them?

Eh, did you read anything? People deliberately commit crimes to go back there. It's the kind of society that criminals adore, and as civilised citizens we should abhor.

And as for what will; call me a bleeding-heart, but I think we should be using psychologists. Those who refuse to change can stay in the hole forever.
Quote from: The Will
In a movie, one can always pull back and condemn the character or the artist ... But in playing a game ... we can be encouraged to examine our own values by seeing how we behave within virtual space.
tl;dr. But with all those shiny symbols and numbers it's probably awsome.