Author Topic: Pirates of the Burning Sea  (Read 3292 times)

Offline JamDunc

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
    • TPS Report
Pirates of the Burning Sea
« on: January 09, 2008, 12:52:23 pm »
Didn't find a topic for this so thought I would start one. Yarr!!

Have any of you tried the Open Beta and/or are now in the Pre-Boarding for this?

As an ex-WoW player, who's been cold turkey for over 6 months now (:p) I tried the Open Beta of this after a friend recommended it to me and was fairly impressed. It's not Warhammer, which is the game I'm most looking forward to but it's a nice change from the usual MMO's out there.

Sailing a ship on the sea, being a trader and building up the economy (99% player run), being a naval officer and protecting you ports, or being a pirate and just doing what the hell you want.

I've tried the trader route, and in this game, just wow. It reminds me a bit of Eve in this respect except that no one person can build everything he needs for a ship due to the limit of 10 'building' slots per server, per account.

The ship combat is well fleshed out and looks rather darn pretty and and is quite tactical, and PvP can be quite tense, especially when it is more than 1 on 1.

It does have a downside and that is the hand to hand combat during boarding and land missions, but that is a fairly new feature and so is still being worked on as we speak.

Anyone else out there have any thoughts about this game? Or is anyone thinking of trying it?

The one and only JamDunc.

Xbox Live - JamDunc
PSN - JamDunc (only a placeholder for now)

http://www.tpsreport.co.uk

Offline Celdur

• R-Type Force Pod
  • :33
    • View Profile
Re: Pirates of the Burning Sea
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2008, 01:35:17 pm »
try puzzle pirates its better thant this >_>
« Last Edit: January 09, 2008, 01:43:20 pm by Celdur »

Quote from: Krakow sam
That quote is actualy very witty, Celdur. I suggest you use that in your signature.

Offline Hammerman58

• Q*Bert Qrazy
  • Thor carrier of the mightiest hammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2008, 01:42:51 pm »
It looks very good. I saw something on X play on it and i have been fallowing it for a while. I am going to wait until it comes out and read the reviews for it before i buy.
STOP HAMMERTIME 
PSN Names YaY I got a thread stickied.

Online martyk

• Simon Belmont
  • Never underestimate the power of dolphin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2008, 02:19:29 pm »
I was following it for about six months before eventually getting into the beta early december.  Unfortunatly, despite it's gorgeous appearance, it just didn't amaze me.  T'would seem after playing the old SWG for 2 years, nothing else comes to par.  Of course, I've made an attempt to play many MMOs since SWG, and although none were as good, PotBS is among the best.  I'd still recomend it even though it's not something I could get into.
Quote from: Doctor Zay
Martyk is a handsome fish.
Quote from: Brandonazz
This dolphin is delicious.
<Sgore> Martyk, mentally I always picture you as like, our forums bartender.
<Neoadept> I've always pictured you trapped in a tuna net

Offline Cobra

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2008, 03:49:03 pm »
Maybe I'm just overly suspicous but is there anything suss about a guy who recently joined pimping out his new favourite MMO.

Offline Gauphastus

• Ice Climber
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2008, 04:54:39 pm »
I tried out the beta. Just couldn't get into it.
And this is one game that I'd been watching like a hawk for months.

I.. I don't think I can do MMOGs anymore.
Thanks a lot, WoW.  :-\
"Ma all the gods of furious strong be with you as you crunch opposents, and live like a windrammer as you f**k."
       ~Ricky Wangstrom

Offline JamDunc

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
    • TPS Report
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2008, 09:23:22 pm »
Maybe I'm just overly suspicous but is there anything suss about a guy who recently joined pimping out his new favourite MMO.

Well if you read some of my other posts, you'll find I recently joined as my real life friend also recently joined Gaming Steve as a Contributor (Matt Robinson).

And this is the game I have recently started playing (approx last week and a half) so when I couldn't find a thread on it, I thought I'd start one and see what other people thought about.

I do apologise about trying to start a conversation about a pc game on the pc forum section of a video game website though. :-\

Xbox Live - JamDunc

Offline Cobra

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2008, 09:43:58 pm »
Hey it's cool like I said just being overly suspicious. This wouldn't have been the 1st time a company tried advertising a game by having someone post a thread about it on a forum and I'm sure it will happen again. You seem to be taking part in other parts of the forum so you seem clean. I guess we can put the pitch forks away for now.

Offline Interitus

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • You just blipped on my radar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2008, 10:09:40 pm »
try puzzle pirates its better thant this >_>

I agree. I was accepted into closed beta extremely excited about this game.  I was sorely disappointed. I honestly didn't enjoy ship to ship combat very much. I found a lot to be lacking.  It was actualy quite similar to Pirates of the Caribbean Online in many respects which I was also in closed beta for. I assume much has changed since then, but I saw enough to be dis-enchanted with the game. I personally didn't like it. I agree with Celdur as far as gameplay and just fun goes, Puzzle Pirates is actually a more entertaining game. 
My karma ran over your dogma

Offline JamDunc

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
    • TPS Report
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2008, 09:03:45 am »
Ok, so where do I find this puzzle pirates? Someone has to tell me :p

Xbox Live - JamDunc

Online martyk

• Simon Belmont
  • Never underestimate the power of dolphin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2008, 09:19:22 am »
Oh dear god don't play puzzle pirates.  It's a miniclip game turned pay-to-play MMO.  It's got this stupid angled, sims like top down view of cartoony pirates.  You make your way through the world doing basic puzzles to accomplish tasks.  I assume it's addicting, probably fun for a bit, but in no way is it worth paying for.
Quote from: Doctor Zay
Martyk is a handsome fish.
Quote from: Brandonazz
This dolphin is delicious.
<Sgore> Martyk, mentally I always picture you as like, our forums bartender.
<Neoadept> I've always pictured you trapped in a tuna net

Offline Interitus

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • You just blipped on my radar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2008, 10:01:44 am »
In a sense martyk is right, while he complains about visuals, it's ultimately gameplay that matters. Puzzle Pirates I found more enjoyable that I could just enter the world and instantly have fun. It was easy, and you could log on for 10 minutes and still walk away having at least done something.  Now is it worth paying for, you would have to decide that for yourself.  You can try it at http://www.puzzlepirates.com/
My karma ran over your dogma

Offline Didero

• Turkey Shoot Terminator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2008, 10:09:17 am »
There's no need to pay anything. Just choose a dubloon-server, those don't have a monthly fee. Some things require Dubloons, which you can buy with real money, or the in-game pieces of eight. So you can get a taste for the game without spending any money.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 10:33:25 am by Didero »

Offline GamerMommy

• Space Invaders Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2008, 06:44:54 pm »
ok, admittedly i'm a noob here...ALSO someone acquainted with a contributor lest anyone ask...

if i'm going to make a first post, it had better be about something important, so, pirate games, it is.

i was in various betas for both pirates of the caribbean (POTC) online and pirates of the burning sea (POTBS) online.  i have since cancelled my account with the former and am currently in pre-board for the latter.  my kids play puzzle pirates, and i am a fan of sid meier's pirates.

POTC...

it never ceases to amaze me that a company with the resources and brand recognition disney has, and with the gaming potential for a franchise like pirates of the caribbean...all of this, yet they release lame after lame game with the lowest possible standard for graphics and game design.  these games, had more thought and time been applied (rather than rushing toward various movie release dates and christmas seasons), could have been breathtaking.  i'm a chick...so i can readily admit to being suckered more than once by the idea of sailing on the black pearl with an actual-johnny-depp-voiced, practically shirtless captain jack.  but...these games, one after the other and now the RPG, have been completely disappointing.  the disney RPG in particular...i understand their wanting to make it accessible to as many people as possible, but that shouldn't automatically mean the character customization offers few choices, the locations all look alike, and there's no such thing as ship customization (sails, upgrades, ANYTHING!).  the beta ended in august so the game could undergo a "massive re-design." launch happened on halloween, and it's not evident what changed other than different music in certain zones and a few more creatures.  the chat is still so ridiculously restrictive that you can't type numerals, character or location names, which as you can imagine makes group play "a ball." what i liked about POTC...interacting with captain jack, familiar characters and storyline, the "voodoo" casting skill, and the fact that a busy person could log in for 5 minutes and accomplish one minor sub-quest point...these things were not enough to overpower "the curse."

the quests on POTC...oh...my...GAWD.  the first 20 levels of the game are made up of the most mundane and repetitive quests ever invented (you can imagine the drudgery of a quest called "66 bottles of rum on the wall..."). you are then rewarded with a boss battle aboard the black pearl with captain jack.  problem: the boss battle, due to crash issues, has been down for six weeks and the devs have not even hinted at when this might come back up.  until that boss battle is up, you can't go further in the game; other quests aren't doable; you can level killing the same creatures, but by the time the pearl boss battle comes back online, you'll be too high for it to pose any kind of challenge.  when i was cancelling the account (which you can only do by telephone, using a number you have to really look for on the site to even find), the telephone CSR asked, "would a blackjack tournament interest you enough to stay?" when tortuga hold-em poker is the most exciting aspect of your game, you're in trouble, matey!  the final time i logged in, i could no longer see any characters as high a level as i was, nor did i meet even one online with the special "founder" tag anymore.  i'm assuming i'm not the only crewmate who ultimately defected to POTBS, but hey, disney got $20 from me in the meantime, didn't they.  POTC is easy for little kids, and that's ultimately the only audience who won't be jumping ship.
POTBS...

if one of the main reasons i liked POTC was sailing around to the theme music, i've found that POTBS game is much more fun, and i can always turn the volume down and play the POTC soundtrack on iTunes.   ;D  the character and ship customization is a lot better, even though the women mostly look like they came from a motley crue video and the men look like renaissance festival carnies (though the player content feature for sail design is not up yet).  the quests tend to be repetitive, and for land-missions, the same topography is used over and over...but at least the storylines are engaging and often humorous (ie. assault the vessel carrying the poodles owned by a certain merchant's wife, because the merchant hates the poodles and wants to be able to tell her they were lost at sea).  the total player-made economy is both a blessing and a curse...i wish they'd remove a requirement to pay "weekly upkeep" on your manufacturing structures because auctioning, manufacturing, getting all the mats you need is ungodly expensive as it is.

the sailing takes longer than POTC, but only because actual maps of actual places are in use.  sailing actually takes skill in this game, which again is a blessing and a curse because ships are really slow to manoeuver and the AI gets twitchier the more cargo you have in your hold.  (one guy i know was attacked by NPC ships 12 times while sailing from tampa, florida to new orleans.) ship customization is quite the science; i only wish personal armor and weaponry were at the same level.  this game is great for groupers (because the end game got the RvR aspect right, much like DAoC did before it started to suck, and WoW though it only has 2 factions to POTBS's 4) AND soloists alike (around 50 separate missions PER PORT to engage in). i would like to see them install an in-game message system, and have the capacity to share money and items with guildmates.  for people thinking about playing this, think, sid meier's pirates as an MMO.  a self-admitted pirate fetishist, i like it now, and believe it can only get better, though i'd like to see how they handle balance issues on various servers...you can't swing a cat on "blackbeard" without hitting a pirate, and you don't even have to be french on that server to know you should surrender.

...because hitting toons is healthier than hitting kids...