Author Topic: The 3D printer that prints a 3D printer  (Read 7537 times)

Offline LadyM

• Mortal Kombat Konqueror
  • I'm not confused anymore
    • View Profile
    • LadyMpire
Re: The 3D printer that prints a 3D printer
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2008, 04:41:12 pm »
~/o "when you hold me in your arms so tight.. you let me know, that every thing's alright..." o\~

Sorry we haven't had a forum sing-a-long in awhile and I know dat song too.  ;)

Offline Cobra

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2008, 05:27:48 pm »
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII'm...
Hooked on a feelin',
High on believin'
That you're in love with meeeeeee.

Your right miss M it's been to long.

Offline DaMuncha

• Lode Runner
  • GREAT SCOTTS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2008, 05:43:47 pm »
no no no it goes...

ooga chuka ooga chukka ooga ooga ooga chuka

etc...

Offline Kcronos

• Boulder Dasher
  • The Dark Time Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2008, 08:29:14 pm »
Why does this reek of "Nanobots", or maybe "evolving Nanobots", or maybe even "evolving Nanobots destroying Mankind"?  I say, burn or delete all references to this technology, and put the guy who invented it in jail for life.

Try to curb that dystopian imagination of yours HW.

And for the last time:  Nanobots won't be able to travel vast regions of vacuum.  Ever.  Not to mention, they cannot "evolve" to withstand nuclear explosions, or survive in the sun.
* Plank of Wood slaps

GET A HOLD OF YOURSELF MAN. THE REVIEWS DO NOT EFFECT ANYTHING EVER.

QFT

Offline Woulfe

• Wizardry Whiz
  • 40 Years Of Pop-culture
    • View Profile
    • Spore Sillyness Site
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2008, 10:13:53 am »
no no no it goes...

etc...

I knew dat....

Way to ruin a perfectly good joke dere ;)

- W -
* As long as David Hasselhof doesn't sing it we should go right ahead and do our own sing along to it.... *

Offline happydan20

• Venture Conqueror
  • Discovered the "everything syndrome."
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2008, 09:09:09 pm »
Why does this reek of "Nanobots", or maybe "evolving Nanobots", or maybe even "evolving Nanobots destroying Mankind"?  I say, burn or delete all references to this technology, and put the guy who invented it in jail for life.

Try to curb that dystopian imagination of yours HW.

And for the last time:  Nanobots won't be able to travel vast regions of vacuum.  Ever.  Not to mention, they cannot "evolve" to withstand nuclear explosions, or survive in the sun.

A small comfort to the life forms on earth ;)

I'm not really much of a dooms dayer, but you cant deny that as our technology increases, the effects become more pronounced and with momentum that becomes more difficult to stop.  Earlier someone made a reference to cavemen, if cavemen start a fire and burn some things.. the over all global impact is pretty null.  But today we have such a pollution problem that is destroying an entire planet, the only one we have in fact...

A lot of people think a fusion reactor will solve all of our future energy needs.  We've seen what a nuclear meltdown can do, its pretty devastating.  A fusion reaction accident would tear a hunk right out of the planet.

I think its pretty obvious that as we get bigger toys to play with, we end up with bigger toys implanted into our eyes, in the emergency room

Is it so hard to fathom that we could create a technology that would wipe us out?

I survived the flood of 2008 and all I got was this crappy homelessness.

Offline GCool

• Robotron Automaton
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2008, 09:53:52 am »
Nano materials themselfs act in different ways to the normal sized version of those same materials. That's one of the worrying things - so many products now are allready using nano products (i've seen socks with silver nano particals in them to help stop foot odur etc) that have been let into the market because they work in theory, and they've been tested as much as normal products get tested, but we don't yet know the long term effects of them (wash socks - particals go into water - into environment - we don't know what happens next, but it's micro pollution)

"Nano" technology is new, and it needs to be tested extensivly.

And any sort of energy to 'save the world', for me, has to have been proved to have been safe, with no aspect of it going wrong being dangerous for the environment it wants to save. Air power, water power, solar power; no possible side effects (with the exception of ruining countryside and one or two minor problems that might arise with water). Nuclear power: playing with dangerous chemicals and elements is never a good thing.

Offline Quantum Burrito

• K.C. Munchkin Maestro
  • Up, Down, Strange, Charm, Top, Bottom, Burrito
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2008, 11:49:48 am »
A lot of people think a fusion reactor will solve all of our future energy needs.  We've seen what a nuclear meltdown can do, its pretty devastating.  A fusion reaction accident would tear a hunk right out of the planet.

A fusion reactor is incapable of having an 'accident'. If you want to comment on science things, you have to read about them first.

Fusion reactors need temperatures hotter than the sun to work. If that disappears, it is an instant freeze. It just stops working, in under a millisecond. The temperature is so great that if the chamber was ever breached, the energy would be dissipated into the surroundings in a fraction of a second.

The heat is so concentrated at the centre of the track, that the change in temperature to the room would actually be negligible. That's why they need massive magnets, to keep the energy concentrated in the middle.
Quote from: The Will
In a movie, one can always pull back and condemn the character or the artist ... But in playing a game ... we can be encouraged to examine our own values by seeing how we behave within virtual space.
tl;dr. But with all those shiny symbols and numbers it's probably awsome.

Offline FROMAN

• Journey Groupie
  • =ω=
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2008, 12:14:01 pm »
i believe your talking about the nonexistent 4,000,000 megaton bomb

Offline DaMuncha

• Lode Runner
  • GREAT SCOTTS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2008, 06:43:07 pm »
that'd be a 4 teraton bomb

Offline FROMAN

• Journey Groupie
  • =ω=
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2008, 06:55:17 pm »
now that you mention it yes it would be that.(it would probably be an antimatter bomb)

Offline Admiral Zombie

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2008, 09:07:37 pm »
I remember seeing this on digg the other day. I actually am getting a push for my engineering club at school to produce one. Things are looking good for producing it.

But this is somewhat spore related. There has been talk of being able to order a 3-D model of your creature. Does anyone know what format the game saves your creatures as? It may be possible to print them out yourself.

Offline 7 who ate 9

• Ms. Pac-Man Worshiper
  • I'm actually a pretty optimistic guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2008, 09:35:30 pm »
I still don't get how the 3-d printer works. Can someone explain it to me?
Quote from: Quantum Burrito
Mary Poppins was hot. Full of golden ratio goodness. I'd be the derivative of her function any day of the week.
We'll hold that against you until you leave these forums you know :P

Offline sltlamina

• Sinistar Worker
  • Readin this? You just wasted a second of your life
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2008, 03:13:58 am »
Macrobots. Eventually they'll be making nanobots... it's only a matter of time.

Offline Met

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • Well... whatever.
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Userpage
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2008, 07:09:21 pm »
I still don't get how the 3-d printer works. Can someone explain it to me?

The machine can build 60% of the parts of what it is. But it doesn't assemble itself.

The creators of this machine want it to be able to replicate itself completely and be able to build all the pieces it just made into a replica of itself.

Thus leading to the idea of self-replicating microscopic robots that everyone is talking about above.