Author Topic: The Daarnuk  (Read 4977 times)

Offline Draugr

• Zork Emperor
  • ORGASMIC.
    • View Profile
The Daarnuk
« on: January 05, 2008, 04:49:40 pm »
A few months ago I made a post featuring the Daarnuk, but that form of the Daarnuk was never what I really envisioned it to be due to creature editor 3.0 limitations. I decided to scrap my first Daarnuk and create a new but very similar version of it here it is! ;D Hey maybe a artist out there will see this and be inspired to draw my up a awesome pic!

Planet- Hostar
Habitat- Deciduous Rainforests
Social System- Herds 3-20 members
Reproduction- Monotreme
Reproduction Rate- tend to reproduce once; become sexually mature at 16 earth years
Egg Incubation Period-3-5 earth years
Lifespan-115-140 earth years
Diet- Herbivorous
Size- Length(tail to nose) 13ft.; Height(hoof to antler tip) 15ft.
Weight- 1-1.8 ton
Movement Speed- up to 30 mph. when charging

Daarnuk Gatherer
« Last Edit: January 06, 2008, 06:36:09 pm by swamp »

Kings 2:23-24 --- The Holy Bible
23 From there Elisha went up to Bethel. As he was walking along the road, some youths came out of the town and jeered at him. "Go on up, you baldhead!" they said. "Go on up, you baldhead!" 24 He turned around, looked at them and called down a curse on them in the name of the LORD. Then two bears came out of the woods and mauled forty-two of the youth.

Offline Draugr

• Zork Emperor
  • ORGASMIC.
    • View Profile
Re: The Daarnuk
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2008, 05:44:34 pm »
Alien Sheet: Daarnuk
--Biology
Type- Terrestrial
Appearance- Huge Centaur-like
Gravity Pref.- Med. High
Atmosphere Breathed- Ammonia/Oxygen
Body Color- Black
Body Cover- Thick Leathery Skin
Hair- Thick Wiry
Hair Color- Rust, White, Black, Brown
Eyes- 2 lidded eyes
Eye Color- Silver, Gold pupil
Diet- Herbivorous
Reproduction- Monotreme egg-laying
Temp. Pref.- -20 to 70f
23 From there Elisha went up to Bethel. As he was walking along the road, some youths came out of the town and jeered at him. "Go on up, you baldhead!" they said. "Go on up, you baldhead!" 24 He turned around, looked at them and called down a curse on them in the name of the LORD. Then two bears came out of the woods and mauled forty-two of the youth.

Offline Draugr

• Zork Emperor
  • ORGASMIC.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2008, 07:50:08 am »
Hostar--
Hostar is the planet where the Daarnuk evolved. It's atmosphere is rougly 5% oxygen, 50% ammonia, 5% hydrogen, and 40% nitrogen. Hostar is 275% the size of Earth. Its surface only has 2 seas. These seas contain lots of life and are very deep up to 19,000 fathoms at theirs deepest points (more than 3 times as deep as Marianna's Trench). Hostar's water table is very health however due to vast underground river and massive caverns filled water. Tall, thick Hostarian "trees" dominate the land scape and dense thickets fill the area between these huge Hostarian "trees". The Daarnuk move through these thickets with ease however due to their thick hide and powerful legs. The surface also has a large mountain range, a huge swamp, and both poles are covered with arctic forest.

Beige- Deciduous Rainforest
Blue- Water
White- Mountainous
Dark Green- Swamp
Gray- Arctic

Small Dot- Village
Medium Dot- City
Large Dot- Utopia 
« Last Edit: January 12, 2008, 11:05:10 am by swamp »

Offline KingAcer

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2008, 08:16:03 am »
I like how it looks, are you going to colour it?

Offline Draugr

• Zork Emperor
  • ORGASMIC.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2008, 09:29:50 am »
I dont trust my coloring ability enough to color it yet, plus that picture is piss-poor, but I am sketching a new detailed one that I may color. If ne1 wants to try to draw or color it they may go right on ahead! ;D

Offline 7 who ate 9

• Ms. Pac-Man Worshiper
  • I'm actually a pretty optimistic guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2008, 10:27:15 am »
I like that picture actually, i could really imagine one of those things in spore. Good job.
Quote from: Quantum Burrito
Mary Poppins was hot. Full of golden ratio goodness. I'd be the derivative of her function any day of the week.
We'll hold that against you until you leave these forums you know :P

Offline Draugr

• Zork Emperor
  • ORGASMIC.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2008, 11:52:15 am »
Daarnuk Society General Overview--
Daarnuk organize themselves in to herds instead of family group. When it comes to reproduction Daarnuk are not monogamous,they instead procreate inside their herd. To procreate outside the herd is much like adultery to humans. Murderers receive capital punishment by spear. Jailing is an idea unknown to the Daarnuk, but they do often exile criminals to the southern pole for even small infractions such as theft. The Daarnuk religion does not have a name. It is more a philosophy than a religion really. It says that whatever created them must have been powerful so it should be respected, but it must have left long ago and as the Daarnuk believe it very rude to speak of those not present they rarely speak of the creator.
Factions--
Within the Daarnuk society there are four factions, the Mid-Landers (those who dwell in and around the seas and in the deciduous rainforest), the Exiled (those who have been sentenced to exile in the poles for any amount of time), the Wet-Hooves (those who call the  Eastern Swamp home), and the Steep Ones (the reclusive Daarnuk that live in the mountains and highlands of the Bulwark Mountains). While all of these groups are united under one banner they do often squabble politically, but this rarely devolves into violence.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2008, 04:08:19 pm by swamp »

Offline Draugr

• Zork Emperor
  • ORGASMIC.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2008, 12:52:41 pm »
Reproduction--
Daarnuk reproduction is a very slow process, intercourse itself can take up to a day but normally takes 4-5 hours. When the female is ready to lay the egg it first digs a hole about 6 ft. deep and places the 50 lb. egg inside the hole which covered back up and left.Three years later, a few weeks before the egg hatches the herd returns to the place where the egg was buried and excavates it. When the hatchling emerges it is babied until it may function within the herd.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2008, 04:10:23 pm by swamp »

Offline BioCat

• Star Wars Padawan
  • Spore account name: RubyClaw, search me out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2008, 02:24:18 pm »
Interesting creature, the exiles sound interesting.

Offline Draugr

• Zork Emperor
  • ORGASMIC.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2008, 03:15:11 pm »
Diet--
The Daarnuk are herbivorous. Their diet consists mostly of consa nuts that hang from consa trees. Consa nuts are about the size of a volleyball, but have a thick shell. This where their strong teeth come in handy. The Daarnuk's teeth are actually made of the same material its tusks, bones, horns, hooves, and finger hooves are made, which contains alot of tungsten making them super hard. They get this tungsten from the mineral rich mosses they also consume. Hostar's soil contains alot of tungsten which is where the mosses absorb it.
Tools--
The Daarnuk's hands have 2 digits and 1 thumb, this allowed them to manipulate and use many thing in their environment that other species could not. The first "tools" fashioned by the Daarnuk were sticks that were thrown like javelins to knock high hanging food from trees and to ward off the many predators that sought to prey on a Daarnuk. The Daarnuk began tipping these sticks with antlers and bone from fallen Daarnuk, making these spears even more efficient. The Daarnuk's huge forearm strength allowed them to throw these sturdy spears with massive speed and force (fastest recorded 361mph) and with practice they were able to become very deadly with their spears. As Daarnuk united as a race and technology moved forward instead of creating new weapons they simply improved upon their spears.
Natural Defenses--
Before the Daarnuk using tools it often defended itself by much of the same means as a moose or rhino, charge its opponent to scare it off or trample and use it thick skull, horns, and tusks to knock the predator to the ground and possible gore it. Most of the time Daarnuk stay in their groups watching each other backs in case of danger.
Natural Predators--
Ostolosophs- Ostolosophs are large predatory creatures that hunt solo. They have no eyes or ears, but have an amazing sense of smell. One on one a Daarnuk doesn't have chance against a Ostolosoph, but when a spear or another Daarnuk is added the chances shift greatly in the Daarnuk's favor. Luckily the Ostolosophs reproductive cycle is longer and less effective than the Daarnuk's, so Ostolosoph's are rather rare.
Falath--
The Falath are the largest threat to the Daarnuk even in modern times. The Falath have not yet reached sentience as singular creaures, but the Falath consciousnesses are joined to create a more than sentient "Overmind". This "Overmind" directs the race as a whole. The Falath are a carnivorous amphibian race that dwells in the vast underground water system of Hostar. The Daarnuk have fought many wars with the Falath, but during the last of which the Daarnuk released a poison lethal to only the Falath into the a underground river known to flow over one of the Falath "cities". They released very little of the poison as its synthesis is very expensive, but the since the poison was released not a single Falath has been sighted. However it is still widely known that amount of poison released was not enough by any means to kill any large amount of Falath and that the Falath still live. Falath are roughly 12 ft. from fluke to tusk tip.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2008, 04:20:19 pm by swamp »

Offline Draugr

• Zork Emperor
  • ORGASMIC.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2008, 03:27:11 pm »
do you guys think i should keep the Falath ???

Offline Gooey Kablooie

• Phoenix Fighter
  • Ummmm, nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2008, 04:31:58 pm »
do you guys think i should keep the Falath  ???
Yeah, why not? They look cool enough and it gives the Daarnuk more depth and I'm guessing theres more to be told about them so why wouldn't you?

Offline Draugr

• Zork Emperor
  • ORGASMIC.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2008, 02:57:25 pm »
Daarnuk Weaponry--
The spear is hallmark of Daarnuk weaponry as the gun or sword is for man. However where man change from hand-to-hand combat to ranged combat the Daarnuk had no need to as they could already use their spears effectively in both situations. However the Daarnuk did not keep their same simple spears. As their knowledge of metallurgy expanded the materials used to make the spears improved. The first "spears" were simple sticks with carved tips. Next with sentience came to idea of taking these simple spears and tipping them with stone or bone to give the spear superior durability and penetration. After this advance came metal tips. Then the Daarnuk began spears with light super durable alloy shafts and tips, with this came the charges that were designed to fit onto spears and explode on impact if needed but this was normally a last result happening as it normally destroyed the spear. These Super alloy spears stuck around for a very long time until the Matter spear was invented which used controlled anti-matter to create a devastating weapon. Daarnuk warriors are considered a class in the Daarnuk social system that stands at the top of the hierarchy. The Daarnuk call their warriors "Huurs Eryon" or Great Protector. The Huurs Eryon wear warpaint on any expose patches of fur on their faces or body as a form of psychological warfare. Huurs Eryon Armor is something I will touch on with my next post.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2008, 05:43:07 pm by swamp »

Offline Blarg

• Krull Slayer
  • HE'S BACK IN BLACK
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2008, 01:08:55 pm »
Cool, cool.

One thing though. I've noticed a lately popular trend to have the main weaponry for a race a spear, or another close-range weapon. Won't any race that uses these instead of lasers or other modern weaponry usually be outgunned by any opposing force?  ???

Better to live like there was a God, then die and find out there isn't than to live like there wasn't a God then die and find out there is.

Christianity is a relationship, not a religion.

Offline Draugr

• Zork Emperor
  • ORGASMIC.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2008, 07:05:21 pm »
Well I don't know about other peoples creature, when it comes to the Daarnuk they can throw the spears so well they basically function as both ranged and close combat weapons, however no matter what kind of spear you throw it wont be as efficent as a laser. I have not gotten to the my armor explanation so I will summarize why they still fair well against races who have lasers, tasers, and all kinds of "asers". *takes deep breath* The Daarnuk center their combat style defensively, as in the first wars they fought in which they first develop war tech. were against the Falath. Since the Falath were attacking from cities underwater and miles below Hostar's surface, it was out of the question for the Daarnuk to assault the Falath. So the Daarnuk were forced to become great defensive fighters. This idea was taken into thought when technicians started creating advanced warfare equipment, they centered mostly on defensive aspects(armor) instead of offensive aspects(weapons). As a result the Daarnuk ended up as almost impenetrable armor-clad juggernauts wielding spears. While the spears may not measure in effectiveness in some situations, they are definitely not to be taken lightly. I know that my "summary turned into a full fledged post, but it was a good question and fun to answer as well! Anyone else with question please feel free to ask!

« Last Edit: January 12, 2008, 04:51:15 am by swamp »