Author Topic: The Planetary Construction Project [PCP]  (Read 112372 times)

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
Re: The Planetary Construction Project [PCP]
« Reply #675 on: February 19, 2011, 08:08:33 pm »
As long as you can save a file into the lossless PNG format, I don't care what you use. I've got a basic map worked out and was thinking of breaking this game up into phases. The first phase will be the LAND PHASE. We will make land, that's it. No nations and no histories. Just land with its various features or lack thereof. Should help us work around the whole... no landlocked nations issue.

I'm going to start up the new PCP topic tonight. You may choose your plots of land (either 500x500 or 250x250) and begin constructing LAND. No NATIONS yet. Those lines will be drawn later.

Also, discuss how we're going to prevent every player from making a technologically advanced utopia that rules the world. We can't have a world full of awesome everything. Some people are going to need to make less-than-desirable places.

Here is our new map (IT'S BIG)

Offline Celdur

• R-Type Force Pod
  • :33
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: February 19, 2011, 08:19:07 pm »
for the land phase everyone should probably use the same color, to make it not confusing/a mess

Quote from: Krakow sam
That quote is actualy very witty, Celdur. I suggest you use that in your signature.

Offline Doctor Z

• Space Harrier
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: February 19, 2011, 08:32:55 pm »
Do we know which is going to be Old World - New World? I assume not.

I shall take that arctic blue region, just to the left of that yellow island.

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: February 19, 2011, 08:47:55 pm »
Actually, I claim that green tile connected to six other green tiles, the one in the center of the green continent.

Offline Josasa

• Commando Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: February 19, 2011, 08:57:55 pm »
I just thought of another idea, but this may be over the top. I know at this point we're only doing land things right now, but what if we were to set up three or four different 'ages' before we arrive at the Age of Sail (that is, only if we are still designing a world that is still based in the Age of Sail). In this way, there can be some history established, which always has an effect on the birth and creation of nations. At the end of each age, there can be a flipping of a coin or something to similar whether than 'empire' stays in power or falls off the maps (with some creative writing in the process).

This would stretch out the creation time a bit, but I think it would add a lot of depth and believability to this world. People could reference ancient empires and the like, while showing how certain cultural groups and nations arose over time.

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: February 19, 2011, 09:00:03 pm »
I think a superior model would be starting in Year 0, and moving forward a century at a time or so. We'd receive a good amount of snapshots of the history.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #681 on: February 19, 2011, 09:00:55 pm »
We can still fiddle with the exact age of our world when we get to the NATION PHASE.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #682 on: February 19, 2011, 09:08:12 pm »
Alright folks.

Suck that PCP pipe!

Offline Josasa

• Commando Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: February 19, 2011, 09:08:35 pm »
I wasn't even going to worry about the number of years passing, just a generalization since we would really only be focusing on one specific time period anyway.

For instance, we could do a Prehistoric Age where there are three or four major areas of settlement (probably along river deltas) that have their own little culture. Following that an Ancient Age which would have some cities based around these earlier ages of settlement. Then a Classical Age with various city-states, empires, nations or whatever. We could even go into a Middle Age and then after that our focus age with several different layers to draw off of for inspiration.

As for the land drawing phase. Do you think it would be better to have someone go over everything once it's all filled in, so that it looks like a complete picture rather than messy chunks smashed together? Even if we try to make everything match up, I think that it'll still look a bit tacky unless we fix it up a bit.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #684 on: February 19, 2011, 09:20:05 pm »
As for the land drawing phase. Do you think it would be better to have someone go over everything once it's all filled in, so that it looks like a complete picture rather than messy chunks smashed together? Even if we try to make everything match up, I think that it'll still look a bit tacky unless we fix it up a bit.

Ovi has shown an interest in doing this. And since he used to make maps as his job, I'd say he's qualified.