Author Topic: The Planetary Construction Project [PCP]  (Read 112445 times)

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
Re: The Planetary Construction Project [PCP]
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2008, 12:54:05 am »
Indeed this is the entire planet, it is much smaller than Earth but since we are at such an early stage we are not beyond increasing the size of the map.

Offline Neoskel

• Omega Racer
  • Wait, shouldn't there be 2 per larva?
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2008, 12:57:12 am »
Well, we could say that this is merely a third of the planet's surface with another third being completely open ocean and the last third being uninhabited land out of the reach of current maritime technology. That would give us a more respectable 18000 mile circumference (if we add 1000 pixels on both height and width) or a 150000 mile circumference.

Offline Celdur

• R-Type Force Pod
  • :33
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2008, 12:59:55 am »
i will be honored to join >_>

but i wont make everything at once so it may take a few days before all the lore is done

also: how are we going to make big continents out of this? i mean if everyone makes a small sketch of there land you will end up with only islands...no one will click all the lands together like a puzzle (cause i kinda want to be stuck against some other..lands)

Quote from: Krakow sam
That quote is actualy very witty, Celdur. I suggest you use that in your signature.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2008, 01:01:31 am »
Hm that may make it easier to manage... we could do it in phases. This first portion being Phase I. :)

Good idea Neo. There's already two other Neos but neither of them are here (yet) so it should work. :P

Also, Celdur that's great that you want to join. Come on in!

The large landmasses could be clipped together, I wouldn't mind doing the fine details on the map. And there's also nothing wrong with reserving a 2000x2000 chunk and making a continent.

Offline Slartibartfast

• Ballblazer Plasmorb
  • Do they speak English in What?
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2008, 01:03:07 am »
also: how are we going to make big continents out of this? i mean if everyone makes a small sketch of there land you will end up with only islands...no one will click all the lands together like a puzzle (cause i kinda want to be stuck against some other..lands)
You'll have to have separating geographical regions on the edges of you map, like mountain ranges,deserts and great lakes, and hope someone does the "other side."

Offline TotalSandwich

• Vanguard Venturer
  • Tersonal Pext?
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2008, 01:03:40 am »
Does anybody remember a map-drawing program posted on this forum? Useful and free, with fractal generation for coasts and some neat other features. Could use it for everything from world maps to dungeons to blueprints.

The search function has failed me.

***EDIT***

Found it! A winner is me.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2008, 01:18:39 am by TotalSandwich »
The moon is a sickle cell; it will kill you in time.

Offline Celdur

• R-Type Force Pod
  • :33
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2008, 01:29:15 am »
Does anybody remember a map-drawing program posted on this forum? Useful and free, with fractal generation for coasts and some neat other features. Could use it for everything from world maps to dungeons to blueprints.

The search function has failed me.

***EDIT***

Found it! A winner is me.

...so...where is it?

Quote from: Krakow sam
That quote is actualy very witty, Celdur. I suggest you use that in your signature.

Offline Detoxicated

• Pack M.U.L.E.
  • Spirit of Monkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2008, 03:18:37 am »

The Country of Ophalia
A brief History
Ophalia is a big strip of land that was once being used by many different groups of hunter/gather type of tribes. This lifestyle lasted for many centuries, and conflicts were mostly avoided, the land was peaceful. Meanwhile there was a religious movement all the way in the north, far away from the nowaday Ophalia. This movement was led by a person who declared himself the son of all the gods, and the father of all the people. He wandered together with a band of people all the way south to the Ophalian plains. Being hunted by their homecountry they had a steady army of at least 2000 spearmen. When they reached the ideal spot to build their capitol they settled. This spot was decided according to a prophecy. The prophecy stated that the people have to settle where the buffalos have rested. Jamboola Santi was founded. Soon all the tribes within the reach of Jamboola Santi were either destroyed or converted. Easily they settled the lands of Ophalia. Within one-hundred years all of Ophalia, as it appears today, was conquered. Ophalia existed this way for 300 years now, and is currently looking to expand their borders.

Economics
Ophalia is a self-suficient nation. All the goods needed to survive (and a tiny bit more than just survive) can be found within the borders of Ophalia. The Ophalians look down upon goods from other nations as they believe to have the best goods in the world. Therefore they have hardly any import, but they do depend on export. They have a well thought out bank system and the common man has not to hunger as there is a form of welfare. The main wares produced are: Architecture(they send their Architects to the other countries), Fine arts, wine, weaponry (recently the musket was added to the weaponry), horses and of course Opium. They ban opium within their own borders but are willing to export the opium anywhere as they feel that it weakens their enemies.

The land of Ophalia has many ore mines, and some salpeter fields, within the ocean arround Ophalia lay great coral reefs, and many pearls to be found. The main ore mines are found on the biggest southern island, the gold mines are located on the lesser southern islands, and the biggest pearl fields are located in the west, close to the city of Mukart.

Technology
They have recently discovered the uses of blackpowder, and are now adept at using it. Furthermore they developped a strange flying device made of bamboo that can uplift you into the sky using the upwinds. You just have to use the pedal to fly furtherly, turning the gears of the contraption. It is only used to explore as it can only hold 2 people without equipment at a time. Furthermore they have made the discovery of cement, and of chemical colouration. (Which they use for their paintings, their walls, and everything else they'd like to paint)

Military
Ophalia has a strong army, made up of different troop styles. There is the normal recruit army, which makes up about 85% of the armies. Then there is the pioneers army, an army made to explore and exploit new lands, which makes up about 10%. Finally you have the Special Forces, the Holy Guard of the Throne and the Gods, which is a specially trained army to protect the king and the clergy. This army is known for the use of light blade weapons, and is rather swiftly armored instead of heavily. They recently added muskets to their weaponry.

The navy is not as big however. They have some clergy ships and some armed battle boats. Recently they started to build new ships as they want to explore new lands to the south and the west.

The Five Biggest Cities
Jaloomba Santi - Religious Center, seat of the crown, known for the great arts, and architecture and the Holy Guard of the Throne and the Gods Military Academy. This city is highly interested in new gadgets, and in wine. They are exporting arts and architects mainly.

Mukart - Mukart is a rough town as it is located by the seas. The main income is coral and pearl diving, but they also provide the nation with about 40% of the fish. This city is highly interested in new shipdesigns, in religious artifacts, and in furcoats of any sort. They are exporting fish, pearls, and corals.

Urukan - Center of the devout monks and nuns of the religion. This city is a vast religious center known for its great religious texts, and for the specially made wine. The monks and nuns produce this wine in the traditional way. Also one can find thermal baths here, therefore Urukan has become a tourist attraction, and thus has grown even more. This brings of course some unwanted sideeffects with it, recently the city has also become a center for prostitutes and such. It is a rare city, mixing devout and prude monk/nun lifestyle with the lusty people from the red light district. This city is highly interested in jewelery, food, and tourists. They are exporting religious texts, artifacts, and wine.

Kasabian - Being a border town, Kasabian obiously became a merchant city. All the exports to other countries can somehow be traced back to here. Besides the exporting of all goods of the nation they DO produce Opium. This they export fiercly to other nations to weaken their minds. They also export merchant missionaries, missionaries who try to convert through materialism, and interesting technology, and wise words from the holy texts. This city imports anything they like, but mainly food, and wine. They are exporting everything.

Anarpate - This city is a miners town. Everything in this city is about mining, or processing the mined goods. They have amounts of iron, copper, silver, granite, and diamond mines, and also they have an entire district of smelters. Smelterville is known all over the continent for its fine weaponry. Anarpate also has some daughter cities on the eastern islands to mine for luxury ore and salpeter. This city exports ores, luxury ores, weaponry, and metal tools. They are importing anything thats edible, and wood.

Culture
The culture of Ophalia is very intriguing, on the one hand they are a devout people but on the other they do enjoy every breath they take. Many festivities are taken all over the year, mostly of religious nature, and furthermore they enjoy theaters and arena duels. Their currency is known as Kettles, and the minor currency as Snapits. 100 Snapits make one kettle, simple eh? The main traits of the Ophalian is that they are loud and brusk, but courageous and gentle at the same time.

The Flag

The Flag of Ophalia is very symbolical. The blue outline of the map is a representing the ocean that surrounds much of the country, while the green represents the fertility of the people. The yellow circle represents the wealth of the nation, and the red symbol within the yellow circle is the holy sign of the religion (comparable to the cross of christianity, the star for judaism etc.). It is red as red is the holy colour. The written something on the lower side of the yellow circle are written in the scripture of this country and it means Godsent, as many devout Ophalians believe themselves to be godsent as their prophet came down to live on this land...

Government
The Ophalians have a very strict structure within their government. There is a king within the town of Jaloomba Santi. This king is the absolute regent of the entire country (right now its Musarti III). Within every city there is a Highgeneral, basically a mayor with military training. This Highgeneral is apointed by the Militarian Circles. The Highgeneral has to submit to the will of the king(obiously) and to the Avatars of every region. Avatars are usually related to the kings family, but theoretically can be unrelated to the king. The Avatars are seen as such, you know avatars of the King himself, and therefore they gain the highest respect from the people. Only the king himself can order them arround. But the people do have some power themselves. There is a board for industries, and for agriculture. They vote upon laws relating to their field. After creating a law they send their idea to the Highgeneral, who can sign it or refuse (he usually agrees though, as this is tradition). If the law is critical or when it proves to be a good idea, the highgeneral sends it to the Avatars, and they send it to the king. If the king accepts the law, it is written down into the Universal Lawbook. This lawbook can outdo any regional law and is held higher. There is many people helping the king with these decisions, and generally the king listens to his advisors. The king listens so often to his advisors due to the education every king enjoys while being young. This education teaches them to act wisely and thoughtful (basically).
« Last Edit: January 05, 2008, 09:47:46 am by Detoxicated »
OK, both of you die and let us know what happens.

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2008, 04:12:09 am »
I wasn't going to join the other one, but this looks more professional.

Unfortunately time isn't on my side, so whilst I'd like to register my interest and maybe contribute something in terms of writing later, I can't commit to too much stuff so I won't be asking for a plot just yet (if at all).

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
    • KOSMOSIS CHRONICLES dA Page
« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2008, 05:35:32 am »
I'm gonna post an entire continent, though not right now. Kinda busy this week, maybe next.

Offline Neoadept

• Fooblitzky Fooble
  • Has a nice hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2008, 06:44:59 am »
I'm in.  2000 x 750 if you will.
Nefarious?  Nearly.  Ne’er-do-well?  Never!  Neither nearly names this narrator.  Naive and knowledgeable, notorious and inscrutable, this nascent Nero is known naturally as Neoadept.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 05, 2008, 06:59:26 am »
A 200 by 100 pixel squaroid for my existing island please.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Blarg

• Krull Slayer
  • HE'S BACK IN BLACK
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2008, 07:55:44 am »
Nice work Detoxicated. It all looks really good.

Oh, and cool animal Neo.

We're inventing our own cultures/countries/people groups, right?

Better to live like there was a God, then die and find out there isn't than to live like there wasn't a God then die and find out there is.

Christianity is a relationship, not a religion.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2008, 08:04:20 am »
As Pat said, this isn't a Spore project about creatures.
So I think the best thing to do would be to only include descriptions of economically or symbolically important animals or plants, and even then, only within the description of the nation or region itself, the way I did in the writeup about my island. Its safe to say there are other animals and plants on my island, but none of them are important enough to merit being written about.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Blarg

• Krull Slayer
  • HE'S BACK IN BLACK
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 05, 2008, 08:11:14 am »
As Pat said, this isn't a Spore project about creatures.
So I think the best thing to do would be to only include descriptions of economically or symbolically important animals or plants, and even then, only within the description of the nation or region itself, the way I did in the writeup about my island. Its safe to say there are other animals and plants on my island, but none of them are important enough to merit being written about.

Right. I wrote about the FLYING rat because (I saw it as) it is a planetary pest, and goes with boats as much as sailors do. Sort of the replacement of earth rats.

Better to live like there was a God, then die and find out there isn't than to live like there wasn't a God then die and find out there is.

Christianity is a relationship, not a religion.