Author Topic: Evil genius  (Read 17801 times)

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
Re: Evil genius
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2009, 03:28:16 pm »
Found a good place at http://www.1888freeonlinegames.com/download-evil-genius-487.html . Despite the name of the site, the downloadable ones aren't free, at least Evil Genius isn't anyhow. Already grabbed the patch from elsewhere.

Edit: urk, is there any no-CD fix for 1.01? The one I bought seems to start fine without a problem, but I wanted to update and it keeps bugging about the CD. I've tried looking for a no-CD crack, but none seem to work for 1.01, or there aren't any for 1.01.

Although, is the game still fine if I don't do the patch?
« Last Edit: February 15, 2009, 04:52:28 pm by smjjames »

Offline eropS

• Out Run Speedster
  • That's right, I went there
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2009, 06:03:02 pm »
*whistle and creepy music* Yo ho yo ho the _____ life for me....
No, no, he did. In the everything else section, at least. Officially, this makes him king.

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2009, 07:06:35 pm »
*whistle and creepy music* Yo ho yo ho the _____ life for me....

I bought it, not pirated it..... I just wanted to get the patch and the no-cd fix.

Offline Andrew Ryan

• Simon Belmont
  • A man has a choice, I chose the impossible!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2009, 07:07:39 pm »
Man I remember this game...

Maybe I should re-load it and turn it into a Meta-game.
"Don't worry 'bout me. I wouldn't worry about me. Don't you worry about me. Don't you worry 'bout me!" - Talking Heads, Don't Worry About the Government

Offline Harvestfreak

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
  • Just Flying By
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2009, 09:01:15 pm »
I know this is an old thread, but I love this game, i still play it, when i feel the need to torture.

One of the ways to deal with the non-special agents, without worrying about your traps, is to place Topside Shacks on the bottom part and the top part of the island. Then set the doors to level 5 security. As agents will always go for them. Then you can take you time, build up your base and wait for them to leave.
If they ever make it into your base, which they shouldn't just set up your rooms by the entrance(s) with low heat ratings like the barracks the mess hall and what not.

Yes, you can normally find this game in gamestops, or bargain bins.

Offline Yossitaru

• SunDog Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2009, 09:04:51 pm »
On the topside shacks, I think you mean set them to level 3, as there are only 4 levels, and the fourth would set your henchmen and military minions as guards, which would be rather counterproductive. A level three door will keep your own people out and will pique the interest of the wandering agents for a good long time. Stick a couple pop up traps in there with a trigger, and they will be distracted for hours and hours. :)
Virus Buster.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2009, 05:44:58 am »
Man I remember this game...

Maybe I should re-load it and turn it into a Meta-game.

I don't think it would work very well as a meta game. The first third of the game has you following a very rigid sequence of events.

Also, with the game the way it is, voting on what to do next is a recipe for disaster, and not the fun kind :P
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2009, 09:56:02 am »
I agree with Krakow, you can't control the minions directly, only indirectly through tagging the target. The henchmen (and two henchwomen) you can control directly as well as your avatar.

Even so, unexpected things can happen. Like for example I was just looking around and suddenly my avatar was under attack. The guy was suppoused to be deep inside the base, so I was like "What the f**k??" and he was outside the base and near a shack with a few reading desks. He got back in okay, I decided to stick him on the desk that is in the inner sanctum so that he wouldn't roam. AFAIK, I didn't send him out there.

Also, in the FAQ guide from the EvilPlanet site, there is a fix to increase the number of minions. The first island is okay for 100, but the second island base looks a bit empty. Anyhow, have any of you guys tried that mod? I haven't myself.

That Jet Chan guy is a big pain in the ass, he kept exploding my barracks shacks with the equipment lockers in one game. I haven't encountered the last two superagents yet, but from the FAQ, they sound like a pain as well.

Katerina Frostonova tends to shoot on sight (even when blue ringed), but still manageable.

Offline Yossitaru

• SunDog Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2009, 10:46:16 am »
Super agents will blow up anything that's not a door and for the later ones, any door that's higher than lock level 1.

The minion mod is a simple fix to the population file in C:\Program Files\VUGames\Evil Genius\DynamicResources\Config. It's so simple, you can change the population yourself. I would suggest a max population of 150, it'll allow you to have a healthy amount of all the minion types, though it will make one near-end-game objective very easy. The original file looks as follows:

Code: [Select]
MaxPopulation=100
PopulationEntry=0,10
PopulationEntry=1,15
PopulationEntry=2,20
PopulationEntry=5,25
PopulationEntry=10,35
PopulationEntry=20,45
PopulationEntry=30,55
PopulationEntry=40,65
PopulationEntry=50,75
PopulationEntry=60,80
PopulationEntry=70,85
PopulationEntry=80,90
PopulationEntry=90,100
PopulationEntry=100,100

and the mod and unofficial patch(which is basically a collection of the best game fixing mods, including spreadsheet fixes for henchman world activities and item fixes such as allowing research of the test lab monkey) version looks as such:

Code: [Select]
MaxPopulation=150
PopulationEntry=0,10
PopulationEntry=1,15
PopulationEntry=2,20
PopulationEntry=5,25         
PopulationEntry=10,35       
PopulationEntry=20,45         
PopulationEntry=30,55         
PopulationEntry=40,65         
PopulationEntry=50,75         
PopulationEntry=60,80         
PopulationEntry=70,85             
PopulationEntry=80,90               
PopulationEntry=90,100             
PopulationEntry=100,100   
PopulationEntry=110,120
PopulationEntry=120,130
PopulationEntry=130,140
PopulationEntry=140,150

The left number is notoriety and the right number is current max minion population. Incase you were worrying, this does not affect how lockers work and you may get up to 150 on lockers alone, but that's a lot of lockers.

Also, on the EG issue, that's odd. The Genius should never move on his own, except to navigate to a interrogation device a super agent is being interrogated on.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 11:07:28 am by Yossitaru »
Virus Buster.

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2009, 11:20:31 am »
I could have sent him there by accident without realizing it, but yea it was odd. It was the Shen Yu guy and I think he is suppused to be a bit crazy. At least thats what his animations give the appearance of. So, it wasn't TOO out of character for that particular EG.

As for the one I bought, it's apparently already version 1.01

Where can I find this unofficial patch which has various mods in it? Hopefully it doesn't mess up the .exe because when I tried to patch it (before I realized it was already patched) and when I tried to use the bonus CD stuff that is on the EvilPlanet site, the exe kept giving me a no-CD error.

I haven't had Maria Mamba plant any bombs (playing on easy mode), then again, I don't give her much of a chance as she gets mobbed within a few meters of the entrance.

Katerina Frostonova seems more intent on filling minions with lead than planting bombs.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 11:30:50 am by smjjames »

Offline Yossitaru

• SunDog Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2009, 11:39:54 am »
Mamba is the one exception to the rule of Super Agents, as both of her missions are fairly harmless (read their info pages in game to know what they come for.) Mamba is the only one not equipped with bombs, really, where would she keep them? I think Masters might not have bombs either, but he's go his M60s to do his work for him.

Edit: I was wrong, she is a saboteur, so she does have bombs, but she should never get to use them... It's Frostonova that doesn't have bombs or any kind of serious threat, just a worthless knife wielding murderer. But in any case, Mamba, Chan and Frostonova are pushovers on any difficulty. Just plop a psychological weakening tag on these first three and your social minions should be able to take care of them easily, after they're drained, lock them up and torture their time away.

The bonus stuff should have installed just fine without issue, since I recently played a game with the bonus stuff and I don't have the special disc with that stuff on it. As for the unofficial patch, it doesn't touch the exe in anyway, like an ordinary mod, it just alters your configuration files, while at the same time adding a new backup folder that holds all the files in their original forms. There shouldn't be any need to revert to the old versions though, since everything in the patch is good stuff.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 11:48:15 am by Yossitaru »
Virus Buster.

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2009, 03:49:44 pm »
How do I get the wall mounted traps to go in outside shacks? I tried the method mentioned in http://www.n1nj4.com/EvilPlanet/TheGame/evilgenius.txt , but I can't get it to work. I'm trying to find the mod on the EvilPlanet forums, but can't seem to find it.

Offline Yossitaru

• SunDog Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2009, 08:22:56 pm »
The only thing I can find would require you to modify a description file, but aside from that I'm not sure. Also, why do you want to put a wall mounted trap in the topside shack? I find those traps to be rather useless in the confined space of the shack.
Virus Buster.

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2009, 09:04:34 pm »
I kind of wanted to see if I could toss agents off the cliff using those traps. Although it's not that big a deal.

Offline Yossitaru

• SunDog Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2009, 09:28:40 pm »
I've never heard of it being possible, and I highly doubt it's possible. I did a little more digging and it's apparently possible to get the trap to work in the way you want through a bit of a convoluted method.

After you build the shack, place a room in there. Pause the construction of the room then order the traps you want inside the base, then move the trap blueprints out to the room blueprint and it should allow you to place them. Unpause the room and it should build up with the traps.

I have a feeling the biggest reason that you won't be able to send them over the edge is that I don't think you can even place a topside shack close enough to the edge. But if it works, tell me what happens to the test dummies.
Virus Buster.