Author Topic: Evil genius  (Read 17813 times)

Offline Gorman Conall

• Space Ace
    • View Profile
Evil genius
« on: January 04, 2008, 04:36:53 pm »
You guys will notice i often ramble about old games. Thats because they are dirt freaking cheap!. I bought this for download and i have been addicted since.

Heres a fan site for it because the official ones gone.
http://www.evilplanet.com/

And wiki
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evil_Genius_%28video_game%29

Anyway you play one of three evil genius that are trying to take over the world. The best way to explain the game play is it is a lot like dungeon keeper.

At first you have construction workers. They build and are okay fighters and can be armed with pistols. They are also the only minion you can buy outright so they are the most dispensable. But later you get technicians, valets, soldiers mercenary's and other minion types.

Henchmen: You cannot control minions directly they act like the sims in a way. You give minions orders like attack build etc. However you get henchmen. Henchmen can be directly controlled and have special powers. Like jubei the ronin who can teleport. Henchmen can be knocked out but they can only be killed by super agents.

Agents: There are five goody two shoes forces out to get you. You send forces into their areas to steal loot get new items steal money or do acts of infamy. That part controls like risk. Agents come to your base with a mission. The more heat you have from a a force the more they send.  Unless you have high heat they wont always attack right away so you can use traps like pitfalls or something to get them.

Investigators come to your base attempting to find evidence of wrong doing. If they do they will try to escape with photos of it to raise heat.

Thief's attempt to steal money or valuable items such as loot from your base.

Infiltrators attempt to destroy key parts of your base like generators or gun racks.

Soldiers will ether attack on sight or attempt to find a reason to attack.

Super agents: Every force has one and once you hit a certain infamy level they will start sending them. They can be knocked out tourtred or slowed down but not killed by normal means. If you stall them long enough they will leave like other agents do. But only for awhile. Super agents are ripoffs of movie super agents. For example Jet chan who is like Jet li and Jackie chan combined.

All minions hench men and agents have a motive systems to. Agents regenerate on their own but minions use some items and rooms in your base. For example if endurance runs out a minion will pass out. They can sleep in beds at night and eat during the day to fix that. Like wise if you reduce an agents endurance to 0 by fighting traps or stat reducing attacks you can imprison him or carry him a distance from your base.

I suggest checking this game out BUT i do not recommend the demo. The demo is buggy and does a bad job of showing what the game is like. Also i like slow games. This games pace is VERY slow mind you.

Feel to ask any questions. I will try to answer them to get you interested in the game.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2008, 01:38:27 am by ShadowBandit »

Offline Sub

• Time Pilot Trekker
  • End is tough.
    • View Profile
Re: Evil genius
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2008, 07:01:08 pm »
Your link for the wikipedia site is broken.  The link should read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evil_Genius_%28video_game%29

In any case, I've always been interested in trying this game out.  It sucks the demo is bad.

Offline Uroboros

• Duck Hunter
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2008, 07:52:09 pm »
It always annoyed me how the super agents would randomly decide to murder your workers and non-combat personell, if hit by a 'harmless' trap. My base was rigged up with a good number of non-lethal traps designed specifically to stall and confuse agents, with a few highly lethal ones deeper inside. Now, when a super-agent gets locked in a kind of entrance airlock and sleeping-gassed, when they wake up they seem to be a bit annoyed. One particular super agent thought it was funny to get revenge by stabbing my workers in the gut with some kind of butterfly knife. It cost me to replace them... bah.

I still find the Michael Jackson torture routine oddly funny, whenever it gets used.

Offline Interitus

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • You just blipped on my radar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2008, 09:36:54 pm »
Evil Genius was a great game. I haven't played it in years though. The only thing I remember annoying me and I can't remember what it was. But yeah, that game was fun.
My karma ran over your dogma

Offline Doctor Z

• Space Harrier
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2008, 09:47:23 pm »
There was a forum game modelled after this. I wanna play it!

Offline Yossitaru

• SunDog Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2008, 12:42:12 am »
I have this game, and it's actually rather easy. Even the Super Agents don't pose much of a threat if you have the right set-up, even if you don't dispose of them. Matron, Jeubei and Lord Kane are an unstoppable combo. Most of the other henchmen were pretty much mostly ear and eye candy to me.

Also, I found the micromanagement of the prison cells to be really tedious, 10 minutes, or however long it was before they automatically started to escape, while keeping the difficulty up, made things rather difficult at stressful times when my base is under a raid. At least my freezer was never empty.
Virus Buster.

Offline Uroboros

• Duck Hunter
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2008, 01:17:05 am »
Also, I found the micromanagement of the prison cells to be really tedious, 10 minutes, or however long it was before they automatically started to escape, while keeping the difficulty up, made things rather difficult at stressful times when my base is under a raid. At least my freezer was never empty.
Its a shame the game doesnt offer an easier way to reconstruct your base once you've cut the rooms out of the rock. You really start needing the extra space, given you cant psychically predict the sizes of the additional equipment, if any. On a second playthrough, I found that having a little freezer room near my prison was quite useful. Rig up a deathtrap for the escapees and it pretty much solves itself, especially if your prison cells open onto a trap-rigged freezer room itself.

Offline Gorman Conall

• Space Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2008, 01:43:54 am »
Yeah super agents are a pain though i have only met two so far.

Jet chan will always attack so really the best way to hold him off is to kick his ass. Sometimes however you can have social minions sap him take him outside and then he leaves. He dodges almost every trap unless you sap his attention or smarts.

Marianna mamba normally needs to be ticked off before she attacks. I also find that she has a hard time with the highest security door gives up and leaves.

I find the game challenging. I think it depends a lot on your play style among other things. Because its up to you how much heat you wanna risk generating and stuff.

Oh and by all means try the demo. Just bear in mind a lot of random things happen that normally would not. Things also happen fast and overall is a poor representation of the game. But check it out, All that aside the demo made me buy the game. Its just when i got real game i knew how crappy the demo was.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2008, 01:46:54 am by ShadowBandit »

Offline Yossitaru

• SunDog Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2008, 01:51:17 am »
Its a shame the game doesnt offer an easier way to reconstruct your base once you've cut the rooms out of the rock. You really start needing the extra space, given you cant psychically predict the sizes of the additional equipment, if any. On a second playthrough, I found that having a little freezer room near my prison was quite useful. Rig up a deathtrap for the escapees and it pretty much solves itself, especially if your prison cells open onto a trap-rigged freezer room itself.

Well, a trapped up room still brings up the issue that my minions would still go in there and either mess up the triggers for any potential traps, and/or get gunned down when the escapees have their bearings. If they included cells with two exits, I'd use that tons more, stick a piece of loot in the freezer and let they agents do themselves in when they escape, but with only a single exit, doors are the only solution and those are even more tedius, 10 times as so when Steele uses his special ability.

I really think a prison system somewhat similar to Dungeon Keeper would have worked better... Hell, if they included a minion tool that allowed you to have the minions automatically deal with prisoners, that'd be a huge improvement. The game can be modified quite a bit, maybe it's possible to make something that automates the cells...

As for your difficulty issues, Shadow, I suggest hitting the yellow alert when you hear the Super Agent theme. Then tag the agent for psychological weakening. As long as he doesn't get to anywhere important, your social minions should be able to sap him, otherwise, you're going to have to hit him with the kill tag. In any case, once the agent's dazed or unconsious, slap the capture tag on and haul him off to jail. Keep him tied up with whatever interrogation machines you have for about 30 minutes, maybe an hour if you want to be safe. Then drain his attention then intelligence, your social minions will take the agent outside and he should be ready to go back home and will have a blue ring no matter what.
Virus Buster.

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
  • Life is worth much more than gold
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2008, 04:51:46 am »
I really liked this game, but the crashes kept me from ever completing. Other than that I loved the game.

Quote from: /lurk
PALM: Oh face, come closer. I've needed your touch since I heard that fundamentalist Christians were being stupid again.
FACE: Not again! Quickly Palm, come to me!

Offline Gorman Conall

• Space Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2008, 12:10:25 pm »
Nah i don't really have an issue with Super Agents yet they are fun to deal with. I hit yellow when Jet chan appears. If you kill him once and then remove the tag he leaves when he wakes up.

I don't really have an issue with prisons. I almost never leave them in for too long and if i do i have a time clock set to have minions in the room. If they escape they are auto tagged for capture again. And i try hard to keep minions attention up so they don't hit traps as often.  Staff rooms help but the auras loot and your evil genius has is helpful if you put them in high traffic rooms.

Amazingly i have only ever had one crash so far.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2008, 12:19:17 pm »
Great game, this. The gameplay itself wasn't without its many problems, but the game pulled through on sheer charm and humour. Shame the company went bust so there won't be a sequel :(
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Yossitaru

• SunDog Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2008, 01:19:36 pm »
Nah i don't really have an issue with Super Agents yet they are fun to deal with. I hit yellow when Jet chan appears. If you kill him once and then remove the tag he leaves when he wakes up.

But he still leaves with heat and makes the other agents worse. I always made it a point to send back all Super Agents and one member of highly ranked raid groups with blue rings to help quicken the reduction of my heat in their respective organizations.
Virus Buster.

Offline Gorman Conall

• Space Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2008, 01:39:21 pm »
Great game, this. The gameplay itself wasn't without its many problems, but the game pulled through on sheer charm and humour. Shame the company went bust so there won't be a sequel :(

They started Evil Genius 2 right before they went belly up. Another company has the rights  to it but never announced anything. We could someday get a sequel but the chances are very slim..

The game does have a few annoying problems since they were only able to give one patch before they went bust. But the depth, humor and replay value more then makes up for it to me at least.

I remember how bad i wanted to play this back in 2004 before i ever had my first computer. It was only last year i got a computer capable of playing games and i forgot all about it till recently.

Offline Shadowgandor

• Scramble Skipper
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2008, 12:29:46 pm »
Played this game for a while, it's great xD