Author Topic: Oviraptor's Forum Mafia Game -- Game Thread -- Trolls Win  (Read 69658 times)

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
  • tastes just like chicken
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
Oviraptor's Forum Mafia Game -- Game Thread -- Trolls Win
« on: January 03, 2008, 02:56:52 pm »
Links:
Day 1Night 1
Day 2Night 2
Day 3Night 3
Day 4Night 4
Day 5Night 5

Rules:

The players will be split into Forum Members (Townsfolk) and Trolls (Mafia) on a 2 to 1 ratio. How you win the game is dependent on which team you're in. There is one player designated as the 1337 Hacker. He is out to turn every into Hackers.

Forum Members
WIN CONDITION: BAN ALL THE TROLLS & HACKERS
KILL METHOD: DAYTIME BANNING
Forum Members are the uninformed majority. Their main advantage is that they have twice as many people as the Trolls do - Forum Members do not know the identity of other players, which means they have to rely on logic and observance of other players during the day to determine what their affiliation could be. This makes them open to manipulation by the Trolls who mingle with them during the day and influence the burning. The Forum Members are at a disadvantage in the early game, but get potentially stronger as the game continues.

TROLLS
WIN CONDITION: EQUAL OR SURPASS THE FORUM MEMBERS IN NUMBER & ALL HACKERS MUST BE BANNED OR DELETED
KILL METHOD: DELETION AT NIGHT
The Trolls are the informed minority. They are fewer in number than the Forum Members so deaths of their kind are much more costly, but their defining advantage is that they know who each other are, and are allowed to communicate with each other in secret to plan their strategy - who to delete, how to use their powers towards a common goal, and how to manipulate the Forum Members into deleteing themselves.

Unlike the Forum Members, they are a centralized faction and have a leader, the Godfather, who is responsible for communicating the Trolls' desires to the game moderator (Oviraptor). Each night they are allowed to delete one Forum Member, this is reached via popular decision. The Trolls are strong at the beginning of the game but their strength level does not have as much capacity for growth as the Forum Members.

The game progresses in phases, each being a minimum of 12 hours in length at the beginning and shortening as necessary as the game goes on. The two phases are DAY and NIGHT.

1337 HACKER
WIN CONDITION: MUST BE ONLY HACKERS LEFT ALIVE
KILL METHOD: NONE, HACKS OTHERS TO CONVERT THEM INTO HACKERS
The 1337 Hacker's goal is to make sure everyone else is a Hacker. The original 1337 Hacker is the only one that can turn others into Hackers. The other Hackers would function exactly the same as their original roles, only now they would be on the 1337 Hacker's team. To make it trickier, none of the Hackers know who each other are, with the exception of the 1337 Hacker, since he chooses his own victims. After every night, there will be a Hacker count posted. All it will tell you is the total number of Hackers, not who was turned into a Hacker. If you are hacked, I will PM you to tell you so. From that point on, you'll secretly be playing for the Hackers. Whoever you were affiliated for before, you won't be anymore, Forum Members and Trolls alike.

DAY PHASE
During the Day Phase, all players - Forum Members, Trolls, and Hackers - must vote on who should be banned. At the end of the phase, the one with the highest votes will be banned and eliminated from the game. If there is a tie, then no one will be banned. Be sure there is not a tie. This might mean that a few players will have to change their vote. The day phase will start at 24 hours.

You may not abstain from voting, a non-vote will count against you. You may only change your vote ONE time during the day phase. - it is only made final when the phase ends. If you miss three day-phase votes during the game, you will be removed permanently. You may PM me your vote early if you are unable to post on the forum during day phase. I will check both places.

When you vote, please place the person you are voting for in bold.

NIGHT PHASE
During the Night Phase, the Trolls plot on who to delete if they haven't already drawn up a plan. Once they have reached a decision, the Godfather PMs the game moderator with which person is going to be deleted, which Troll member is going to do the deleting, and how the deleting is going to be done. Also in this phase, active role powers are brought into play – Kung-Fu Master deletes, Nitpick switches, and so forth. The Night Phase ends after a min. of 12 hours.

Day and Night cycle repeatedly until one side wins. In other words, players are constantly being eliminated from the game. Time will be adjusted as the game progresses if needed. I will always tell you how much time you have when I post an update. If you know you will be unable to post during the designated time then please make your wishes known to me in advance.

POWER USAGE
All roles have their own special powers which sets them apart from other roles. These come in two forms - Passive and Active.

Passive powers are always in effect unless something happens to change or remove them. You do not have to PM me if you have a passive power.

Active powers must be called. To do this, you PM me with a request to use your power, stating the target(s) if the power requires it. You can send me your power call anytime and it will be put into effect at the end of the next night phase.

Powers can also be of Unlimited or Limited use.

Unlimited powers can be used as many times throughout the game as the user pleases.

Limited powers only have a set number of uses. Bear in mind that powers may have other conditions that need to be adhered to. For example, Deacons cannot protect themselves.

The order powers are used in are determined by role category. The order is thus: DISRUPT > PROTECT > DELETE > INVESTIGATE
The only exemption to this is the Philosopher role, who always goes first.

BANNING/DELETION
Keep in mind that you can be banned or deleted at pretty much any time of the game. When a player is banned or deleted, their role is revealed to all the other players, and they are no longer able to post in the main thread or interact with the game in any way. You are NOT allowed a ghost post or parting shot in the main game thread. I will delete any post you make in the game thread if you are banned or deleted.

You are allowed to post in the Banned Land thread but you may not reveal any more game information. This means you cannot continue to assert that someone is a Troll or give out any information that could disrupt the game; you are banned/deleted. I will delete any post that gives out or alleges information that could affect the ongoing game. Let's keep it fair. This also means that you are not allowed to PM anyone with information. I know I can't enforce this part but I'm asking you to play fairly.

FORBIDDEN THINGS:
1 - Do not directly reveal another player's role.
You are allowed to reveal or lie about your own role as you please, but revealing another player's role directly will result in being expelled from the game. This includes traitors and investigators; they may not post the list of Troll/Forum Member people. They must be secret. If you tell, you are gone.

Revealing discovered interactions if you're a detective, psychic, or any other interaction-learning role is fine, so long as you make it seem like a suspicion and not a fact. Accusations or lists of your own suspicions are fine too - to be on the safe side, please state that you are accusing.

2- You may not post or quote any of my PM's to you in the form of text or photos. Any information that is sent to you as a result of you using your powers is for your eyes only (exception is with the Trolls who shares info according to game rules). If this rule is broken, you are removed from the game.

3- Do not use Who's Online to see who is sending PMs.
I realize this is incredibly hard to enforce and difficult to detect, but still, have some honor. Let's keep the game fair and honest. Don't assume that because someone is sending a PM that it is game related. A lot of people communicate that way.

4- Forum Members cannot communicate with each other.
This means they cannot PM/email/chat or use any means of communication with each other. Forum Members have to use the information given to them during the game. Example: The Admin cannot PM the Moderators since he knows who they are.

5- Don't take judgments personally.
Manipulation, accusation, treachery, judgments and all things of the sort are all parts of this game - do not join the game if you feel you cannot handle these things. Quitting in the middle of a game because you can't stand the heat of the kitchen is very disruptive to the game as a whole, so don't even think about it. On that note, though...

6- Keep it civil.
Manipulation, accusation, treachery, and judgments may well be parts of this game, but outright insulting another player isn't. This isn't the place to bring your grudges or spiteful streaks. Do not vote to delete someone based on the fact that you don't like them. Base it on the game only.

7- If you die or are not an active player, please stay out of the game thread.
The main game thread is for living, active players - if you are banned /deleted or are simply a spectator, please go to the Banned Land thread to post so that the players don't have to sift through clutter posts.

8- If you are an active player, please stay out of the Banned Land thread.
In order to keep the game free of being influenced by outside suggestion, I would suggest staying out of the topic for banned/deleted players.

If you have any questions about the rules, please ask me now. Once the game has begun, the rules will be followed, no exceptions. If something comes up during the game that I haven't covered then I will make a judgment call and it will be final. I want everyone to have fun and play fair. :)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2008, 06:22:42 am by Oviraptor »

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
Re: Oviraptor's Forum Mafia Game -- Game Thread
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2008, 02:58:27 pm »
Possible Roles:

DISRUPTORS

GRAMMARIAN
AFF: FORUM MEMBERS/TROLLS
Power Type: Active, Unlimited
Picks 2 targets – Powers/actions used on one target that night will be applied to the other and vice versa.
Cannot target self.

NITPICK
Picks 2 targets - The Powers/actions of those two targets will be switched for the night.
Cannot target self.

IMPOSTER
AFF: TROLLS
Power Type: Active, One Shot
Takes away target's power permanently. Becomes able to use it for himself.
If target is 1337 Hacker, the Imposter will be hacked and lose his power.

FILIBUSTER
Power Type: Active, Three Uses
Scares a target, preventing them using their power that night. 

PHILOSOPHER
AFF: FORUM MEMBERS
Power Type: Active, Four uses
Has a number of attacks which are one-shot.
Devices mimic the effects of other roles, but the Philosopher can't tell which is which
until the attack has been used.
Always goes first in the power order, no matter what.
Cannot target self.

NECROMANCER
Power Type: Active, One Shot
Chooses a role of someone who has been banned or deleted. This becomes their new role for the rest of the game. Previous affiliation of target is not transferred.
Cannot take the Godfather or 1337 Hacker roles.

INVESTIGATORS

MODERATOR/CROOKED MODERATOR
Aff: FORUM MEMBERS/TROLLS
May investigate a player every night.
May choose between learning role, or activities for the night.
Crooked Moderators can only learn roles.

ADMIN
Aff: FORUM MEMBERS
Power Type: Passive
Works like a regular Moderator, except knows who all the other Moderators are.
Crooked Moderators will show up as innocent initially - they must be investigated to discover their true colors.

NANNY
Converts a target from a Hacker back into their former affiliation.
If target is not a Hacker, the Nanny will get a report back saying the target wasn’t a Hacker.
If target is a Hacker, the Nanny will get a report back saying the target was reverted to the target’s former role.
If target is the 1337 Hacker, the 1337 Hacker dies.

WHISPER
Aff: FORUM MEMBERS/TROLLS
Will learn the role of anyone who targets them.

ENT
Power Type: None
Anyone who is a Forum Member will be informed who the Ent is at the beginning of the game.

AGENT
Power Type: Active, Three Uses
If an Agent's target is investigated that night, they will show up as a Troll, of a role of the Agent's choice.
May not select the Godfather as the framed role.

DELETERS

KUNG-FU MASTER
Power Type: Active, One use
May delete a player of their choice during the night.
Cannot target self.

BIG CAT
If deleted during the night phase, their deleter dies with them.

PROTECTORS

DEACON
Can protect a target during the night - the target will not be deleted or hacked during the night for any reason.
Cannot target self.

GOD
Power Type: Active, One use
Can call down a mass protection during night, giving all players deletion and hack protection.
Knows who the Deacons are.

ROYAL
Cannot be deleted at night. Can only be removed via a banning.

PALOOKA
Power Type: Active, Three uses
Can choose to protect themselves from all interaction for one night.

STEALTH
Power Type: Active, Semi-Limited
Can choose to "hide behind" another player each night.
Any powers directly targeted at Stealth will fail.
Any powers targeted at Stealth's target will also affect Stealth.
Power is effectively unlimited except for Stealth may not hide behind the same person twice in one game.

MISC

GODFATHER
Leader of the Trolls. Responsible for PMing the Trolls’ vote to the game moderator (Oviraptor).
Shows up as innocent (as a random role) when investigated.
Must name a fellow Trolls to take over as Godfather, should the Godfather be banned or deleted.
New Godfathers forfeit their old role powers.

1337 HACKER
Aff: HACKER
Power Type: Hack
Wins the game by converting everyone else into Hackers. Neither Trolls nor Forum Members can win until all Hackers have been eliminated.
There is only ever one 1337 Hacker at most in the game.
Can bite once per night.
If targeted by the Imposter, the Imposter is hacked, and loses his power.
Targeting the nanny will cause the nanny to be deleted.

HACKER
Aff: SPECIAL
Power Type: N/A
When the 1337 Hacker hacks another player they become a Hacker. Their powers and role remain the same as before, but now they are playing for the Hacker team, and not the team they originally started as.
If targeted by a Nanny, the Hacker will revert to its former affiliation.

BIG DOG
The Big Dog does not know he is the Big Dog. His normal role is unaffected by being Big Dog.

ME TOO
Me Too knows who Big Dog is, but not his role or affiliation. Me Too must vote the same as Big Dog. If Big Dog votes for Me Too, Me Too must vote for Big Dog. His normal role is unaffected by being Me Too. If Big Dog is banned or deleted, Me Too can then vote freely.

FORUM RAT
AFF: SPECIAL
Found as a Forum Member, but works for the Trolls.
Has another fully functional Forum Member role alongside their traitor status.
Knows who the Trolls are.
Must protect the Trolls by influencing ban votes the wrong way intentionally or using his power to disrupt the Forum Members, without being banned himself.
If the Trolls win, the rat wins too.
If the Forum Members win, the rat loses.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2008, 07:26:08 pm by Oviraptor »

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
Re: Oviraptor's Forum Mafia Game -- Game Thread -- Day 1
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2008, 08:01:23 am »
Things on the Gaming Steve forum aren't as they should be. Normally a peaceful and pleasant place, it is being overrun by Trolls. The forum needs help finding the Trolls and banning them. If that isn't enough, there is also a 1337 Hacker on the loose who is hacking into others' accounts and turning them over to his side.

Day 1
Vote start: 11:00 AM EST Saturday January 5, 2008
Vote end (max): 12:00 PM EST Sunday January 6, 2008

Who should be the first to be banned?

7 who ate 9
  • Clockwerk neoadept

blitzonator
  • Yokto

Brandonazz
  • The Time Traveller

Celdur

Clockwerk
  • blitzonator

Krakow Sam
  • neoadept

LadyM
  • Lualmoba

Lualmoba
  • neoadept

Luminar
  • Yokto Brandonazz

MetallicDragon
  • Brandonazz

Mr. Consideration

neoadept
  • Brandonazz

Neoteric

PatMan33
  • neoadept

Person21
  • Brandonazz

Plank of Wood

Rhodix
  • Person21

shadowlord18

The Time Traveller

unlamp

Yokto
  • The Time Traveller

Yossitaru
  • neoadept

**Remember, if you don't cast a vote, it counts against you**
« Last Edit: January 06, 2008, 11:01:34 am by Oviraptor »

Offline LadyM

• Mortal Kombat Konqueror
  • I'm not confused anymore
    • View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2008, 08:19:24 am »
Yay, it started... now.. who to vote for... *looks down the list*

Offline Yokto

• Street Fighter
  • Do not feed the Giant Gnawling.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2008, 08:21:53 am »
First vote! Yes! I vote on The Time Traveller for reason any one of pure heart can figure out.  I have nothing personal against you The Time Traveller.

I still reserve the right to change my vote
Check out my Creatures.
The Æthirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons
Star Citizen Ref code: STAR-JLJP-LRTC
When you singing up use code and get 5000 credits for free ;)

Offline Neoadept

• Fooblitzky Fooble
  • Has a nice hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2008, 08:40:27 am »
Interesting...  I'll hang back until I see where this is going.
Nefarious?  Nearly.  Ne’er-do-well?  Never!  Neither nearly names this narrator.  Naive and knowledgeable, notorious and inscrutable, this nascent Nero is known naturally as Neoadept.

Offline Yokto

• Street Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2008, 08:58:50 am »
LotR will tell it all! Do not let the forces of Sauron corrupt us! The Trolls shall never win!
Check out my Creatures.
The Æthirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons

Offline Luminar

• Gyromite Gyro
  • i'm losin' it
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2008, 09:13:59 am »
*cracks knuckles* Let's... have... a go at it!

Too early to tell much at this stage. I'm gonna go ahead and put one down on Yokto.

Offline Yokto

• Street Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2008, 09:17:57 am »
Well those of pure heart can tell one thing. And that is what mockery of life Trolls are! See the truth my friend. I hope you change you vote to the right course. But if i would die i hope i die a martyrs death and that it would not have bin in vain.
Check out my Creatures.
The Æthirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons

Offline 7 who ate 9

• Ms. Pac-Man Worshiper
  • I'm actually a pretty optimistic guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2008, 10:12:48 am »
I vote clockwork, i don't have anything against him, I never even heard of him before. I figured since I never heard of him before it wont really matter if he dies...
Quote from: Quantum Burrito
Mary Poppins was hot. Full of golden ratio goodness. I'd be the derivative of her function any day of the week.
We'll hold that against you until you leave these forums you know :P

Offline blitzonator

• Starcross Space Cadet
  • A pic from the galactic zoo. What is it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2008, 10:55:29 am »
I vote Yokto for my own reasons.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2008, 11:24:39 am »
Neoadept.

Offline Neoadept

• Fooblitzky Fooble
  • Has a nice hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2008, 11:45:40 am »
What, again?  Elaborate immediately or you become a prime suspect.  You remember what happens to my prime suspects.
Nefarious?  Nearly.  Ne’er-do-well?  Never!  Neither nearly names this narrator.  Naive and knowledgeable, notorious and inscrutable, this nascent Nero is known naturally as Neoadept.

Offline 7 who ate 9

• Ms. Pac-Man Worshiper
  • I'm actually a pretty optimistic guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2008, 11:49:24 am »
I'll change to Neoadapt.
Quote from: Quantum Burrito
Mary Poppins was hot. Full of golden ratio goodness. I'd be the derivative of her function any day of the week.
We'll hold that against you until you leave these forums you know :P

Offline Neoadept

• Fooblitzky Fooble
  • Has a nice hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2008, 11:55:13 am »
Elaborate immediately or you become a prime suspect.