Author Topic: SecuROM  (Read 48160 times)

Offline Jennifer Reitz

• Lunar Lander Leader
    • View Profile
    • Jenniverse.com
Re: Ack...SecuROM....(WARNING: RUMOR)
« Reply #180 on: May 08, 2008, 12:49:45 pm »
This isn't about copy protection.

This is about needing constant permission.

This is about whether or not you can own, and play, your full price single-player game without constant permission.

This is about needing constant permission.

This is about needing permission every ten days.

This is about renting software for 60 bucks, instead of owning what you buy.

If you don't understand this, you don't understand the problem.

SecuRom means you have to ask corporate mommy, every 10 days, if you still have the right to play the single-player game you paid full price for. That is what it means. Nothing else. Just that. Only that.

We're in favor of copy protection. We want them to have copy protection.

Just not that particular copy protection.

This should not be hard for some folks here to grasp.

Jennifer Diane Reitz

Offline Arand

• Fire Truck Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: May 08, 2008, 12:50:20 pm »
Afraid I won't be able to play this game then. Since I am at a Uni whose firewalls blocks access to gaming servers. for example no Steam games are playable, period.

I was hoping I might at least play this game in single player mode...

First Flatout2, Dreamfall, and now this...

*Resentment.

- Arand

Offline Gungnir

• Boulder Dasher
  • Bbrrrraaaaaiiiiinnnnssss
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: May 08, 2008, 01:09:05 pm »
Wow, way to ruin a good thing.

Horrendous rumour
Fixed. Why are people still treating this as fact? And you guys do have internet, otherwise how are you posting? So even if it does require a connection every 10 days, big deal. And if you don't connect for ten days, connect later and at worst you'll have to reactivate your account.
They're collectible! Sorta...

Offline Verkinix

• Brain Games Mastermind
  • SelfControl is the Greatest Power We Have. Use it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: May 08, 2008, 01:49:14 pm »
Wow, way to ruin a good thing.

Horrendous rumour
Fixed. Why are people still treating this as fact? And you guys do have internet, otherwise how are you posting? So even if it does require a connection every 10 days, big deal. And if you don't connect for ten days, connect later and at worst you'll have to reactivate your account.

Read my past 156,349.2 posts and you will get and idea of what people are talking about.

Offline 0goober0

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: May 08, 2008, 01:54:35 pm »
Funny, I was just thinking about all those people in the past year(s) who asked if spore would require an internet connection. And the more knowledgeable people would explain again and again and again that it was obvious spore was going to be an offline game and any online components were optional.

Guess we were all wrong.  :-\
you realize this is just a crazy rumor right?
NOWHERE has it actually said "spore will use secuROM" either official or non official before this thread.  This is a total rumor and it might be true (unlikely) or it might be completely untrue.  Either way we should wait for an offical source to tell us one way or the other before we start freaking out a not buying, or pirating Spore (which is why they had to make these extreme measures in the first place......pirating it will force them to use even more extreme measures to keep people from pirating).

Offline KL0k

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: May 08, 2008, 02:02:30 pm »
this 10-day rumour started with the pc port of mass effect, and in a said post was a sentence about the use of this new securom, and that spore will use the same. so.. guess whats right

Offline Bona Fide Supraman

• Dirk the Daring
  • Not Super, Supra
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: May 08, 2008, 02:10:18 pm »
I cba to read this whole thing.

Is it true or not?

If so, what does it entail?
Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarves are not happy.

Offline Sadisticfaction

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: May 08, 2008, 02:31:08 pm »
I cba to read this whole thing.

Is it true or not?

If so, what does it entail?
The end of the universe as we know it.

Offline CosmicD

• Omega Racer
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: May 08, 2008, 02:59:18 pm »
microsoft has this as well with thei WGA thing, should everyone stop using windows as well? If you pay and you're not online , you can call a 0800 number to acvtivate stuff,

guess what ?

if needed you can activate securom via a phone call too ^^

Offline LE102071

• Fire Truck Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: May 08, 2008, 03:05:01 pm »
Ok, thank you for that. Now, tell me again why exactly you think spore will use securom.

I haven't read the whole thread yet, but had to comment here.

I am a Sims player.  Have been since the first Sims in '99.  I had all of the Sims 1 - game and expansion.  I then did the same thing with Sims 2.  Up until the Bon Voyage expansion Maxis used the old SafeDisk (if I remember correctly) anti-pirate software.  With BV they started with SecuRom.  The Sims 2 forums were FILLED with complaints and issues directly resulting from SecuRom BULL****.  It would disable (yes, disable) writer drives (CD and DVD) as they were a *potential* threat used by "pirates."  After several WEEKS of this, EA/Maxis released a "patch" that would completely remove SecuRom from your system... only problem is that you would also have to UNINSTALL Bon Voyage.  If you wanted to play BV again, you'd have to reinstall it right along with another copy of SecuRom.

I went 'round and 'round with EA Support over this issue.  They, with their fingers in their ears, kept telling me that the "problems" I was having had absolutely NOTHING to do with SecuRom, because.. "that isn't what the program does..  go to Sony and read for yourself."  Unfortunately that is a load of BS.  I tested this with a BRAND NEW HP Pavilion that I bought in January.  There was NOTHING on the machine except Micro$oft patches, Sims 2 and expansions, and the preinstalled stuff that comes with a new HP.  After running the BV Expansion, my DVD Rom would NOT work.  

I ended up finding a no-CD crack for BV, and subsequently Freetime..  that way SecuRom is never installed.  Many other Simmers have stated doing the same thing.  By having *this version* of Securom, EA/Maxis has turned their loyal, paying customers into pirates.  I bought each and every expansion.  But to actually PLAY the product that I paid for I had to crack it..  that is..  f'ked up beyond belief.

*IF* this version of SecuRom requires an internet connection every 10-days..  I don't know how a crack will be made for this.  I once read a list of games that use SecuRom..  and several of them I have played before..  World of Warcraft is one that comes to mind.  I never had any problems with SecuRom and WoW..  however, the version used in WoW, and the version that was on BV and FT is different.  It's going to depend greatly on what version of SecuRom they use..  and how it affects the system.

My point with my response here is that several of the posters here have said something akin to -- "But, EA wouldn't do THAT!!!  It would cost them MONEY!!!"  --  Well, I hate to burst your bubble..  but they already have.  And according to the support MANAGER from the EA Home Site..  ALL games produced by EA/Maxis WILL have SecuRom on it.

I will be watching very closely how this pans out.  What version of SecuRom they are using.. and if people have any problems with their installs of Spore.  If the game contains an invasive version of SecuRom, and the pirate community is able to hack it to the point where it doesn't adversely affect my system I will be doing what I did with Bon Voyage, and Freetime.  I will buy it..  and then I will crack it to remove Suck-U-Rom.  I would strongly advise the community here do to the exact same thing.  

ETA - If the pirate community is unable to work around this particular problem..  well..  then I won't be buying or playing Spore..  that I have waited four ****ing years for.

Peace
« Last Edit: May 08, 2008, 03:13:20 pm by LE102071 »

Offline 0goober0

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: May 08, 2008, 03:07:12 pm »

Quote: Posted 05/03/08 18:04 (GMT) by aries1001

I certainly hope your or the EA servers are readu for the massive influx of people trying to activate the game all at once.

Yes, EA is ready for us and getting ready for Spore, which will use the same system.

Quote: Some students have internet connections but are behind a college firewall that will block any attempt of them downloading anything that is not approved by the tech and IT department of the college.

Well, its not a download and its a conversation on a normal port. We haven't had anything special to do to get the game working for any of our testers, including places that have very restricted network access.

Quote: At least I hope the *this game requires internet activation to install* to install will be clearly marked on the box and in bigger letter than on Bioshock's box.

Yes, we have been told that there will be clear labeling on the package.

For clarity, though, an internet connection is not required to install, just to activate the first time, and every 10 days after. You can be completely connectionless for 9 days and encounter no problems playing Mass Effect. And you don't need the disk in the drive to play.
this is where the the rumor started in the first place.

this is the where the first question above came from. It doesn't mention anything about secuROM and only talks about activating the game.  Neither the question nor the answer relates to secuROM, he's just talking about the initial activation of the game [Mass Effect]on the internet.
I certainly hope your or the EA servers are readu for the massive influx of people trying to activate the game all at once.

I can remember the Bioshock incident last august and september (2007) when the servers at 2K actually went down since so many people wanted to activate the game all at once.

This is my take on it:

"Yes, EA is ready for us and getting ready for Spore, which will use the same system." is answering the question: " I certainly hope your or the EA servers are readu for the massive influx of people trying to activate the game all at once." He's saying that it uses the same server system as Spore for activation the game and doesn't mention anywhere secuROM until the next question

after that the question is asked about secuROM.

That's just my take on it....i could be completely wrong, it wouldn't be the first or the last time.

Offline nurizeko

• Battlezone Captain
  • Ske-RWOAWR! >:3
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: May 08, 2008, 03:44:44 pm »
ETA - If the pirate community is unable to work around this particular problem..  well..  then I won't be buying or playing Spore..  that I have waited four ****ing years for.

Thats the thing though, they will, which basically makes every single copy of CP on a game/disk completely and utterly irrelevant.

All it takes is one guy to pirate the game, crack it, and then it spread, and no amount of severe dumb pointless copy protection will help.

Its like having a  cinema and selling tickets with magical chips that de-activate recording devices, but totally ignore the fire exit door being open with a lead to a screen somewhere else.

You know what I mean.

Its basically self destructive business practice that loses them customers and only helps to increase the profit damaging activity they want to stop.

Offline CosmicD

• Omega Racer
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: May 08, 2008, 03:53:32 pm »
It's a cat/mouse game between developers and pirates . and this way , the security systems will become more and more intrusive. So it's actually the pirates who make it all bad for the normal user, not the gaming companies.

Offline DarkDragon

• Altered Beast
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: May 08, 2008, 03:56:24 pm »
microsoft has this as well with thei WGA thing, should everyone stop using windows as well? If you pay and you're not online , you can call a 0800 number to acvtivate stuff,

guess what ?

if needed you can activate securom via a phone call too ^^

And in some countries, you pay a sh** load of money for those calls too.
DarkDragon's Minecraft Survival Server (use this as the IP):

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

- The server uses a whitelist, if you're not on the whitelist (can't connect), PM me your minecraft name.

Offline LE102071

• Fire Truck Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: May 08, 2008, 04:23:36 pm »
It's a cat/mouse game between developers and pirates . and this way , the security systems will become more and more intrusive. So it's actually the pirates who make it all bad for the normal user, not the gaming companies.

Not true.  EA/Maxis transformed THIS legitimate software user into a pirate.  I am now a pirate because their MALWARE version of SecuRom disabled hardware on my machine without me having any prior warning.

Several, and by that I mean double digit users from the Sims 2 boards went out and actually bought new ROM drives because they were unaware of how SecuRom would disable drives... and they believed they just had "hardware failures."  You can bet that those customers are now going the "pirate" route as well... and I know this because if was by users of that board that I found out how to bypass SecuRom with a No-CD hack.

I am all for a company protecting itself from the "dirty thieving pirates."  Really, I am...  but when the software that a company uses can legitimately be considered MALWARE because of how it affects a system OUTSIDE the game/program the software is supposed to protect...  well.. that's where I disagree...  enthusiastically.

All of you here that are saying..  "well, I have an always on internet connection so I am going to be fine...."  Read up on SecuRom.  Read up on some of the specific problems that SecuRom has been linked to.  Read about the hardware disables that it has done..  and you may want to rethink just how "safe" you think you might be.

I am not -- REPEAT -- NOT advocating downloading a pirated copy of Spore and playing it.  I am advocating that we, as legitimate customers of EA/Maxis, should have an alternative in regards to how a game has the right to take over our system. 

Peace