Author Topic: SecuROM  (Read 55170 times)

Offline CelineSSauve

• Breakout Battler
    • View Profile
SecuROM
« on: December 31, 2007, 09:16:07 pm »
Well, something finally had to force me from occasional lurker to poster and it was the lack of any posts coming up as a result of a search of the term "secuROM" that did it.

Perhaps no one's aware of the issue, but EA has decided to include secuROM in all their future products.

Games which have already shipped with this software included bear no warning of the possible side effects of that bit of software, nor any mention that it is secretly installed along with the game. Side effects range from changing firewall settings to claiming that the original CD is an illegal copy to forcing people to reformat their computers and/or get new DVD/CD burner drives.

This does not effect all computers secuROM comes into contact with (there is a theory that the newer the computer the higher the chance of serious complications because secuROM will not identify newer programs as legal) but I personally will not be taking the chance.

There's a lot of information out there on the issue if you want to Google it.

gec05

Re: Sony's secuROM
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2007, 09:21:24 pm »
Interesting. Hopefully I don't run into this when I get a new computer.

Oh, and welcome to the forums.

Offline Sub

• Time Pilot Trekker
  • End is tough.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2007, 10:05:49 pm »
Well, something finally had to force me from occasional lurker to poster and it was the lack of any posts coming up as a result of a search of the term "secuROM" that did it.

Perhaps no one's aware of the issue, but EA has decided to include secuROM in all their future products.

Games which have already shipped with this software included bear no warning of the possible side effects of that bit of software, nor any mention that it is secretly installed along with the game. Side effects range from changing firewall settings to claiming that the original CD is an illegal copy to forcing people to reformat their computers and/or get new DVD/CD burner drives.

This does not effect all computers secuROM comes into contact with (there is a theory that the newer the computer the higher the chance of serious complications because secuROM will not identify newer programs as legal) but I personally will not be taking the chance.

There's a lot of information out there on the issue if you want to Google it.

I wouldn't worry about it.  It's a lot better than Starforce, and honestly, I don't know what you were expecting.  Almost all PC games ship with some form of copy protection.  I'm not sure why considering it never stops anyone from pirating, but they all do.

Offline happydan20

• Venture Conqueror
  • Discovered the "everything syndrome."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2007, 10:37:29 pm »
tages or starforce, those really suck... but securerom is always cracked, I dont know why they bother.  All the drive emulators have toggles just for fooling securerom.

I plan on buying a retail version of the game though, I would assume a cracked version wouldn't be able to authenticate with the content servers, and a game this different deserves support.
I survived the flood of 2008 and all I got was this crappy homelessness.

Offline Hammerman58

• Q*Bert Qrazy
  • Thor carrier of the mightiest hammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2008, 12:15:00 am »
Wow secureROM! Why do they even try?  :-\ Its just a waist of money for them to make these things. Like happydan said they are always cracked. Its so easy to beat. ;D
STOP HAMMERTIME 
PSN Names YaY I got a thread stickied.

Offline nausved

• Video Pinball Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2008, 12:22:49 am »
This makes me seriously reconsider buying this game.

This is a very foolish move on EA's part. It will force would-be customers to get bootleg copies of games (and there WILL be bootlegs) if they wish to avoid having this error-prone copyright protection placed on their computers.

I have never used bootleg software, and nor do I care to in the future, but I'd much sooner buy a bootleg with the protection removed than inadvertently install anything that might interfere with the function of my computer. (Most likely, though, I just won't use the software at all.)

Thanks for the heads up.

Offline Hammerman58

• Q*Bert Qrazy
  • Thor carrier of the mightiest hammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2008, 12:25:48 am »
That shouldnt put u off from buying the game. They might make it better and their is always a work around. 
STOP HAMMERTIME 
PSN Names YaY I got a thread stickied.

Offline Sub

• Time Pilot Trekker
  • End is tough.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2008, 01:06:23 am »
I don't understand why people were thinking the game would come without anti-piracy content.  Almost every new release comes with it.

Offline Spore-addict

• Kaboom Boomer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2008, 02:35:56 am »
So a crappy anti-pirate protection should prevent me from buying the game...

No chance in h... that is going to happend.

All games have some sort of anti pirate thing, and have not had problemst...well big tim with it.

and if the game is bought then it should not give any problems.

Master Raytracer Spore-addict = KarmaCowboy

See you out there, feel free to comment my creatures.

Offline Megajames75

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2008, 02:49:56 am »
This is why Stardock is my favorite games company. They don't make many games yet, they mostly do desktop software. Their main game is Galactic Civilizations II, it has NO COPY PROTECTION. Instead you get a unique serial number and account, not a number like the Sim 2 has where you  can just go on-line and borrow other peoples number, but a unique set of details. With this number you can re-download the game as many times as you want, even on multiple computers. But best of all you can download the patches, Stardock does not release patches simply to fix and  debug the game, they release patches to fix, debug, and add major new features, like a new graphics engine. As the game receives no copy protections loads of people pirate it, then within a few weeks most of them buy the game so they can get the new features.

I could go on for ages about the ways Stardock are great, like making expansion packs other game developers would call sequales. The way you can talk to a dev nearly all the time, not just at set times. The end result, very little piracy for Gal Civ II.
My sporepedia page:

http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Cold-Fire

I have over 50 creatures, I only upload my best so each of these should be good. All my creatures work ingame, and are beliveable.

Please take a look at my sporecast of the Flob species:

http://www.spore.com/sporepedia#qry=ssc-500012834975

Offline Shadowgandor

• Scramble Skipper
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2008, 03:39:50 am »
I bought a game before (can't remember name) and I got into trouble with the protection. It said it wasn't the original disc :-\
After replacing the original .exe with a no-cd .exe, it seemed to fix the problem and didn't have any nasty side effects with it.
And if someone's going to tell me that it's illegal to talk about it: No-cd's are legal as long as you own the original copy of the game :)

Offline DaMuncha

• Lode Runner
  • GREAT SCOTTS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2008, 03:46:46 am »
Bioshock also installs SecuROM, There was alot of screaming and shouting about that on those forums too. But Bioshock wont work without it, and it'll probably be the same for Spore. Though it hasnt caused me any problems yet.

Offline Lonemessiah

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2008, 03:54:29 am »
No-cd cracks are not legal. Whilst in principal you are right, the main legal issues arise in the user end agreement. You know, that bit where you click that you agree to loads of rules before you can use the software, which we all obviously read before agreeing to it. In there are usually clauses that ban the use of cracks with the use of the software, and therefore you break copyright laws.

Not really wanting to start a debate on this, as i hate thread hi-jacking.
As usual this is just my opinion which has about as much factual content as the average episode of Red Dwarf.

Offline Gauphastus

• Ice Climber
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2008, 04:15:48 am »
Anti-piracy stuffs haven't ever bothered me near as I can tell.

Hell, if Spore came with a suite of trojans, I'd still..
..uh, well. Maybe not.
But anyways, knowledge of this changes nothing for me.

Also note that there is (apparently) absolutely no room for debate on the use of no-cd dealies on these forums.
Feel free to use the yaplet though.
"Ma all the gods of furious strong be with you as you crunch opposents, and live like a windrammer as you f**k."
       ~Ricky Wangstrom

Offline DoggySpew

• Scramble Skipper
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2008, 05:14:13 am »
Hmmm,
I wonder how legal this is ? In Europe, copyright protection software that damages or alters PC setups are illegal (Due to a courtcase against Sony, where the software would damage the hardware).

http://www.spore.com/view/profile/DoggySpew

7 Gold, 5 Silver, 4 Bronze on the Olympics.