Author Topic: SecuROM  (Read 54007 times)

Offline Uroboros

• Duck Hunter
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
Re: Sony's secuROM
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2008, 08:35:30 pm »
Just telling people that making backups is a good idea. After all, if it messes with your CD/DVD drive, as I said, a format would pretty much fix everything, right?

Offline xirtap

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2008, 05:23:20 am »
Copy protection today is a joke. Almost every game the past months have been cracked and released the same day(if not before) they're released in stores. The only game with a good(yeah, right) protection was BioShock, which ended up being a pain in the ass for most people(I know I hated it), but even that game is cracked.

I understand the reason for copy protection, but everyone has access to cracked files today. Hell, I'll probably buy the game, but play a scene release instead. I have more faith in the warez scene than the publishers, at least they have to follow a standard.

Offline CelineSSauve

• Breakout Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2008, 06:04:57 am »
Hell, I'll probably buy the game, but play a scene release instead. I have more faith in the warez scene than the publishers, at least they have to follow a standard.

Sorry... "Scene release?"

Offline xirtap

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2008, 07:40:49 am »
Hell, I'll probably buy the game, but play a scene release instead. I have more faith in the warez scene than the publishers, at least they have to follow a standard.

Sorry... "Scene release?"

The warez scene. It's sort of a group of people who release the majority of copyrighted material on the internet.

Offline Woulfe

• Wizardry Whiz
  • 40 Years Of Pop-culture
    • View Profile
    • Spore Sillyness Site
« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2008, 04:43:06 pm »
Well, now that you mention it. Just a few days ago we have dumped the Vista from our newest PC (it came with it), reformatted the hard drive and installed XP on it! ;D

Seriously.

I won't touch Vista with a universe long pole, so Good For You ! [tm]

Seriously, i'm staying with XP, Billy Bob Gates owns my soul several times over as it is, what's one less version of Windows anyway ?

Not like the entire universe needs to run on Vista anyway, yes ?

- W -
* Smirks *

Offline Evildude

• Dragster Diehard
    • View Profile
Ack...SecuROM....(WARNING: RUMOR)
« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2008, 08:09:25 pm »
http://masseffect.bioware.com/forums/viewtopic.html?topic=628375&forum=125&sp=15
See the 2nd post on that page

Quote: Posted 05/03/08 18:04 (GMT) by aries1001

I certainly hope your or the EA servers are readu for the massive influx of people trying to activate the game all at once.

Yes, EA is ready for us and getting ready for Spore, which will use the same system.
^
That was said by a Technical Producer for the PC version of Mass Effect.

Here is what secuROM does:
After the first activation, SecuROM requires that it re-check with the server within ten days (in case the CD Key has become public/warez'd and gets banned). Just so that the 10 day thing doesn't become abrupt, SecuROM tries its first re-check with 5 days remaining in the 10 day window. If it can't contact the server before the 10 days are up, nothing bad happens and the game still runs. After 10 days a re-check is required before the game can run.

Basically, you are forced to play online at least once every ten days or your game stops working.

Why don't publishers trust us anymore? At least come up with a less invasive protection. It'll be broken at the same speed as your over the top ones, don't hassle us with your fruitless efforts to stop pirates.
I need a sig because the lack of one annoys me.
Life, the Universe, and Everything
http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Evildude

Offline Petreak

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
    • Petreak's Graphics and Stuff!
Re: Ack...SecuROM....(WARNING: RUMOR)
« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2008, 08:40:12 pm »
That is crazy. What happened to not needing Internet access to play Spore? I guess that's out now.
I would rather play with the DVD in the drive.
What if I am somewhere with out Internet? That means I can't play after 10 days. I have family with no Internet connection that I visit. If I have Spore on my Laptop I won't be able to play it. Jeez!
"No matter where you go, there you are."

gec05

« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2008, 08:42:14 pm »
Hopefully Maxis/EA will follow the philosophy of giving free updates and perks for those who legitimately purchase the game while making the experience a crappy one for those pirates.

Offline Lurker28

• Missile Commander
    • View Profile
    • Ordus inferi - Age of Conan Guild
« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2008, 08:56:33 pm »
LoL, because truthfully they have good reasons not to trust us.

I graduated with a degree in digital animation, while I was never the greatest artist I have had a handful of friends who all went on to acquire jobs in the industry and I can assure you that one of the biggest downfalls of developers are not because of a ****ty game (I am sorry anything above a 70% is not ****ty), but due to individuals pirating. Technically we did this ourselves.

I have a personal rule that I use when downloading games illegally. If I play the game for more then 5...or end up complete the game, I will buy it. I downloaded bioshock a few days before it came out, completed the game and went out to buy it at the store. It is still unopen to this day, but at least I know that I support the developers.

Offline Petreak

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
    • Petreak's Graphics and Stuff!
« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2008, 09:06:02 pm »
I don't Pirate games. I buy them.
The main issue here is the fact they have said several times you don't need Internet to play the game, but if it needs to check the Internet every 10 days to play the game, then that means you need Internet. I hope they clarify this.
"No matter where you go, there you are."

Offline Sasha

• Wizard of Wor
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2008, 09:07:52 pm »
Oh, I see. So let's picture this: We buy the game, play it. Then all of a sudden, our ISP provider is having some problems, they are unable to provide the service for 15 days.

What are we supposed to do?

Run to a friend's house, install the game do the thingy to get more 10 days of game?

Not everyone has the internet. My best friend, for example, was 2 years without internet and he was a world of warcraft Player. Since none of my friends live near me(beside this guy), what would I do?

Run to the library to linstall the game?

Or,  due to work, studies, girlfriends, whatever, we forget to "activate" it. what happens? 50€ down the toilet?

Seriously. It ain't gonna happen.

Offline keithn

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2008, 09:29:26 pm »
Oh, good find.  Hehe, that will delay me getting Spore for a few years, at least.  Oh well.

Offline happydan20

• Venture Conqueror
  • Discovered the "everything syndrome."
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2008, 09:50:54 pm »
this rumor has been making the rounds for years. 

If it is true, its the easiest to crack, its a joke.  Even though im buying the game, id have no qualms with disabling the protection.

I seriously doubt its true.  This game is cute and has a large market in the sims community, which is younger...  I don't expect them to have NO protection, but i don't expect it to be invasive either.

The truth is, they wont NEED copy protection, anymore than any online game does.  You'll need some form of account or ID to access the servers, and the game would probably seem gimped without the streaming content and new stuff.

Honestly thats all the protection they need.
I survived the flood of 2008 and all I got was this crappy homelessness.

Offline helio-G

• Missile Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 05, 2008, 09:52:28 pm »
Oh, I see. So let's picture this: We buy the game, play it. Then all of a sudden, our ISP provider is having some problems, they are unable to provide the service for 15 days.

What are we supposed to do?

just download an unlocked illegal version. Or some type of no cd hack/patch. That's what I'm doing if they decide to do this. Although i don't ever plan to go were there is no Internet service. SO i might not do it.

Offline DarkDragon

• Final Fantasy Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 05, 2008, 10:22:30 pm »
Let's not jump to conclusions just yet, I'll email MaxisCactus and see if he/she? can confirm/deny this.
DarkDragon's Minecraft Survival Server (use this as the IP):

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

- The server uses a whitelist, if you're not on the whitelist (can't connect), PM me your minecraft name.