Author Topic: New Graphics?  (Read 21075 times)

Offline Luminar

• Gyromite Gyro
  • i'm losin' it
    • View Profile
Re: New Graphics?
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2007, 02:36:54 pm »
Fixed. Also fixed was the size, had it 20x20 and didn't notice. >=/

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2007, 03:01:58 pm »
Hey, you should make a special icon for people that have no posts. Maybe a used question mark block. :P

Offline Luminar

• Gyromite Gyro
  • i'm losin' it
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2007, 03:04:58 pm »
I would have thought no posts = no icon makes the most sense. =s

An aside as well, but... after a high threshold would it be possible to lift certain restrictions? I'm talking at around say, 5000 or 7500 posts, the PM limit gets absolved. I'm assuming the main concern about PMs that caused them to get limited is the risk of people spamming advertisements or other unwanted crap through the PM channels, hence a limit put a stop to them. I daresay though once an individual is "established" so to speak, having taken quite a bit of time to get to that level of (hopefully meaningful) contribution, then ultimatley there shouldn't be any reason to fear them spamming - if they do, then it's at their own risk as they should know better.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2007, 03:11:36 pm »
Every time I've inquired about that in the past I get ignored. So either they don't want to do anything about it or they happen to miss it when I ask.

Offline Gaming Steve

• Master Chief
  • Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Steve
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2007, 04:29:52 pm »
An aside as well, but... after a high threshold would it be possible to lift certain restrictions? I'm talking at around say, 5000 or 7500 posts, the PM limit gets absolved. I'm assuming the main concern about PMs that caused them to get limited is the risk of people spamming advertisements or other unwanted crap through the PM channels, hence a limit put a stop to them. I daresay though once an individual is "established" so to speak, having taken quite a bit of time to get to that level of (hopefully meaningful) contribution, then ultimatley there shouldn't be any reason to fear them spamming - if they do, then it's at their own risk as they should know better.

It is to combat PM spam. About a year ago someone sent a truly horrible PM to everyone on the fourm and it took MONTHS to clean up. I never want to go through that again.

Also the PM limit is systemwide, so I can't change it for just one person or group. However, I did change the limit to 25 PMs per hour up from the original 10 per hour. Hopefully that will help. If it's still a HUGE problem then we can discuss it more.
Check out Gaming Steve on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/thegamingsteve

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2007, 04:31:18 pm »
Actually that is very helpful, thanks. :)

Offline Luminar

• Gyromite Gyro
  • i'm losin' it
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2007, 06:06:40 pm »
It is to combat PM spam. About a year ago someone sent a truly horrible PM to everyone on the fourm and it took MONTHS to clean up. I never want to go through that again.

Also the PM limit is systemwide, so I can't change it for just one person or group. However, I did change the limit to 25 PMs per hour up from the original 10 per hour. Hopefully that will help. If it's still a HUGE problem then we can discuss it more.

I think I remember that incident actually. I'm just thankful it wasn't something worse. Rule #1 of the internet... "There's always worse".
Anyhow, no, it's not a massive problem at all, just something of an inconvenience. 25 is actually pretty cool too, since the only time I ran into a problem with the restrained PM amounts was running games of Mafia. Since I haven't seen one hit 25 players yet IIRC, the raised limit is cool. Thanks for that!

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2007, 06:07:47 pm »
Looks like you and I use the PM system for the same thing, Luminar. :D

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2007, 01:56:50 am »

This is a problem with SMF. IIRC the only way to fix it is to make the person who wants lots of PMs a moderator.

It might be worth making a feature request, though.

EDIT: Also, Luminar, you are a legend. Those icons are awesome.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2007, 01:59:02 am by Daxx »

Offline Plank of Wood

• Final Fighter
  • Ka-Boom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2007, 04:37:41 am »
AHEM!

Wheres the plumbob?
the real saviour of this forum

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
  • tastes just like chicken
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2008, 12:23:12 pm »
Those icons are nice, but I know for a fact that Steve doesn't want animated icons for the "stars." He said that in an old post somewhere; if anyone finds it feel free to provide a link.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2008, 12:32:48 pm »
Dude you forgot the N-Gage!

gec05

« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2008, 12:34:39 pm »
Oh, and the Gizmondo let's not forget that too.

Wait, is that thing still on the market?

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2008, 12:37:52 pm »
No the Gizmondo folks had to give all of their stock to Ferrari in order to cover the costs of the crashed car. The stock wasn't worth enough so they went to jail. Truth.

Offline Luminar

• Gyromite Gyro
  • i'm losin' it
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2008, 01:11:47 pm »
For some reason i'm having a murderous amount of trouble adding new ones cos I can't edit the first post. I'll de-animate the chaos emerald, i'll just have to put it in post #2 for now though.

Also wasn't the CEO of Gizmondo some kind of crook anyway?