Poll

Am I writing too much infromation?

No, you should be even more detailed.
2 (33.3%)
No, I like it that way.
3 (50%)
Yes, you expand a bit too much.
1 (16.7%)
Yes, you should give a more general discreption.
0 (0%)
You should just post less subjects in each update.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Author Topic: Biocatia, a story of a galaxy (updated 8 january)  (Read 15646 times)

Offline BioCat

• Star Wars Padawan
  • Spore account name: RubyClaw, search me out.
    • View Profile
Biocatia, a story of a galaxy (updated 8 january)
« on: December 26, 2007, 03:04:36 pm »
Side note: It seems our small community lately and some would say for the past half year even is quite inactive and while some creature makers RPed most of the ancient races were left for dead, and most of the new ones didn’t make it past few months and were left for the pages of history as well. Don’t get me wrong, I have no intention of leaving the Urshans or Thoons behind and I will still contribute my share to our small galaxy, even making a new post-war RP sometimes so the story could go on. Until the activity will regrow though meanwhile I have this creative urge to keep on creating and telling new stories, hoping people out there are interesting in reading them. Therefore I have decided to start a new project, a galaxy I shall create on my own (perhaps in the future let others join as well), a new galaxy, with new interesting races, creatures, planets, cultures, religions, technologies, ideologies and tales of adventures and wars. I truly hope this project will grow large and interesting and will attract a lot of fans. If you’ll be interested I could even add some voting method and ask the fans as well what they would like to see and how do they think each story and race should go. Interaction is important for the creation of a true master-piece.

And now after this long and way too narcissistic speech, I give you my new project:

Biocatia, a story of a galaxy and its inhibitors.

“The Biocatia galaxy, a galaxy far away from any others standing almost lonely in space greatly apart from its cluster of neighbors. This spiral galaxy inhabits millions of different species, and life can be found here in abundance. While none of its inhibitors know who were the first races to evolve sapience, relics of past civilizations have been discovered in many planets scattered all around Biocatia. It is said that in an age long ago when the first planets of the outer ring were born an alliance of races rose and ruled the stars. Some races even trace their evolutionary background to those ancient races that are commonly known now as the “Predwellers”. No one is sure what happened to those races. One theory speaks of a galactic total war that used devastating weapons, that is supported by the fact that in the area where most of these artifacts are found indeed there is a very thin scatter of stars, perhaps some of the races that survived are among the current races and have evolved greatly since that day. Another theory speaks of a great technological wonder that allowed the alliance to leave the stars and become self-relayed enabling them to leave the galaxy and float around in the vast universe. A theory that states the “Predwellers” are have left for the inner clusters and are still inspecting the current races as some kind of a massive experiment is also common though most scientists regard this as nonsense and based on no real data. Whatever happened to the “Predwellers” they have left Biocatia for the younger races that evolved in the middle ring and inherited it. Though it is unclear which of the races evolved sapience first all regard the ‘Luminitars” as the first as they have evolved a scientific level greatly above others and have altered this part of the galaxy greatly before any other races had stepped over and challenged them. As everybody knows the stars resident quite far away from each other, making it impossible to travel from one system to its neighbor in less than a few years. Luckily for the new inhibitors the Luminitars have built a great number of “wormhole gates” in every system they have visited making travel in known space much easier and faster. The Luminitars are also responsible for the uplifting of some races, though not all of them on purpose… Praise the gods the Luminitars are a friendly bunch or we were all doomed from the beginning. This is Biocatia, which we Kantonians call home… “

- Taken from a speech by professor Jajaran in the arch-university of Kmolk.

I would love to get any comments on the project or more importantly suggestions.

Coming soon: More general information and the first races.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2008, 11:12:48 am by BioCat »

Offline Darth Grievi

• Gradius Vic Viper
  • Highly Illogical...
    • View Profile
Re: Biocatia, a story of a galaxy.
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2007, 03:12:28 pm »
Looking nice. I allways had something like this going, but I realy don't want to post it up due to a small issue with copyright infringment, among other things :-[

However, once Spore is out, I'd like to do something like this, using only my creatures and the ones provided with the Maxis disk.

Offline BioCat

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2007, 03:14:35 pm »
Looking nice. I allways had something like this going, but I realy don't want to post it up due to a small issue with copyright infringment, among other things :-[

However, once Spore is out, I'd like to do something like this, using only my creatures and the ones provided with the Maxis disk.

Amusing yet true, though I doubt anyone would steal my ideas and publish them or anything. I feel this is more of an open project, something I do both for the fun and for the experience. Maybe one day I'll regret I did it :P.

Offline Darth Grievi

• Gradius Vic Viper
  • Highly Illogical...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2007, 03:19:44 pm »
I ment copyright infringment on my part.

Yes, Darth Grievi has ripped off an alien race. I'm sorry, but the concepts of the Borg and the Yuuzhan Vong were just too good to pass up! But yeah... :-[

Offline BioCat

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2007, 03:24:19 pm »
Again how narcissistic of me :). Anyway in this project I see it as a goal to make the aliens as alien as I can while staying as close as possible to the laws of science and things our earthly brains could comprehend. Make this galaxy a little different than the usual lizardoid, mammalian, humanoid, and hyperdrive based space operas we usually see by showing a variety of personalities customs and ways of thinking alien to us.

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
    • KOSMOSIS CHRONICLES dA Page
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2007, 08:20:10 pm »
BioCat! This is pure Win! 8)

Thankyou for giving me the courage to do what I have to do! Do your best, you can do it. ;)

And don't worry about the copying issue. Even the makers of the Borg and other races in the Sci-Fi hall of fame got inspiration from others. ;)

Offline Darth Grievi

• Gradius Vic Viper
  • Highly Illogical...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2007, 08:53:04 pm »
No, I mean it's 100% ripped off. As in, I took them from over there and made them fight my guys over here. And each other...

But back to Biocatia...

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
    • KOSMOSIS CHRONICLES dA Page
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2007, 07:57:28 am »
Ummm... can we make cross overs? My guys travel from galaxy to galaxy so they might bump into Biocatia. Just curious. :)

Offline Brandonazz

• Baseball SuperStar
  • Hoc etiam transibit
    • View Profile
    • My Internet Treasure Trove
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2007, 07:59:25 am »
Not for a long time if at all.

Offline KingAcer

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2007, 08:09:49 am »
Good idea Biocat  :)

Offline BioCat

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2007, 08:13:54 am »
Thanks everybody, either later today or tomorrow first update, depends if I’ll have time scanning and painting before I’ll go out.

Ummm... can we make cross overs? My guys travel from galaxy to galaxy so they might bump into Biocatia. Just curious. :)

I might consider letting others join the whole scene, most probably with none gamingsteve galaxy species, though much after the galaxy would gain size and character after I'll post much more information, other species, and such. But thank you for the interest.

Offline Neoskel

• Omega Racer
  • Wait, shouldn't there be 2 per larva?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2007, 05:43:34 pm »
As i read it, it seemed like you meant that Biocatia is the Gamingsteve galaxy in the far far FAR future. Which would of course be awesome. If that is what you are doing you could have your new races evolved from some of the classic races here, like the Torpal and Omics.

If not, then i think this is still a good, if ambitious, project.

May i recommend that you let your fellow forumers provide ideas for some of your races and stuff?

Offline BioCat

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2007, 07:07:24 pm »
The story of the ancients shall not be revealed yet, though I have to admit this wasn’t my original idea.

And of course, though this project is a single man project I would be more than happy to hear any ideas from the forum members, perhaps add polls, listen to your ideas and advises, and generally hear your impressions.

So share.

Offline Neoskel

• Omega Racer
  • Wait, shouldn't there be 2 per larva?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2007, 07:54:05 pm »
I think you should work on a race or two yourself first, that way you can keep it truer to your own vision.

Offline BioCat

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2007, 06:13:33 am »
The Luminitarian Wormhole Gates:

One of the greatest contributions of the Luminitarian race to Biocatia, a feature one can’t easily miss, is the Wormhole Gates that could be found almost in every planetary system, sometimes more than once. As hyperspace, a theory suggested in the past by many, was found to be impossible and even ridicules travel, for the Luminitars in the dawn of their galactic civilization was quite a pain. Journeys of many years and the gap of age and time between the travelers and their planets started to damage the growing space civilization that was eager to colonize the world near them and study the galaxy. Therefore a group of Luminitarian scientists leaded by BGA of the MM-GAK funded by the Luminitarian Federal Institution of research and exploration started working on a new project that will ease space transportation. After many years of research including many wrongs and errors they finally constructed the massive major wormhole in their home world of AACC and another one at a nearby-colonized planetary system. As time passed by the wormhole gates became smaller making it easier to transport them fully into a new system after a journey of a few years and then activate them. The only problem is that each wormhole can only connect to another wormhole through the reaping of space using a great amount of mass, which allows long travels through space going from only one wormhole to another almost instantly. Therefore the Luminitars came up with two solutions. The first is the construction of more than one wormhole in every system and that way creating a network of connections and “portals”. The other solution is the exchange of destiny location. Most wormholes once every few months change the wormhole they are connected to.

When other races joined the galactic scene and met the Luminitars (or the Luminitars met them) almost always the Luminitars gave away the wormhole technology and the service of building for them wormhole gates in most of their planets (some say it started as a Luminitarian experiment). This technology enabled trade on a massive scale and made the whole universe a “galactic village”. On the other hand wars became much more deadly and invasions could occur from nowhere and whole systems could be conquered in a blink. Still now days not all ships use the wormholes. When exploring new planets or traveling to systems without wormhole gates the spaceship pilots have no choice but to travel near the speed of light. Because time passes by much faster for those traveling many of them don’t really care, especially those with no one waiting for them back home like space-pirates.

Coming next: The Luminitars, masters of the galaxy.