Author Topic: Best Game for Exploring?  (Read 10274 times)

Offline Deep Lee

• Omega Racer
  • Don't quote pictures. Use words to describe them.
    • View Profile
    • DeepLee.com
Best Game for Exploring?
« on: August 26, 2005, 03:22:03 am »
I'm trying to find a game in which I can wander around for hours and continually find new and interesting things.
Kinda like Spore will be. Something with an enormous virtual universe. I used to like looking around Alphaworld, but that gets boring when you can't really interact with anything that much. What is the CURRENT sandbox game that I should be playing?

Offline Lord Janos

• Wizardry Whiz
    • View Profile
Re: Best Game for Exploring?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2005, 05:10:23 am »
I always liked getting a really nice ship and flying around all the star systems in Freelancer - you get some really pretty suns/stars in it, and can get some nice coloured lasers.  If you use mods you won't have to bother doing campaign/online to get somewhere and could just explore all you like.  Is fun.

WoW was always fun to wander around and see all the sites - if you can't be bothered questing then it's nice to explore on it a bit.  Can't think of any others right now.  Hope that helps.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2005, 07:26:14 am »
Freelancer is definetly near the top of that list.

Also Myst would be good for that... although you may be limited in your explorations.

Another space sim that lets you explore is the X series. Although for some reason it wasnt as fun as Freelancer. (For me atleast)

Can't think of anything else really.... then again... there arent many games where you can explore nowadays.... damn FPS...

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
  • Now for some real user power...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2005, 09:32:11 am »
Yeah, wondering and being able to do something has been somewhat of a lost art.

You have flight simulators, train simulators, etc... and you can wonder to your hearts content, but there isn't much to do.

I suppose you could try some of the MMORPGs like Second Life or something.

When I want to wander I build and fly aircraft in X-plane or load up Midnight Club II and just go for a joyride.

Sometimes I go WAY back and replay Mercenary:Escape from Targ ( http://www.geocities.com/paris/7150/merce.htm ) which is now ported to the PC. Its very old, its faily simple, but there is some great humor in the game and you can wander around.

I'm guessing there are a couple MUDs out there that might work, but I never seemed to get the hang of MUDs.
-Lego

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2005, 09:41:17 am »
Train Simulators are good for exploring but you can only go where the tracks take you...

You could try the Grand Theft Auto games, specificly San Andreas. Tons of things to explore.

I really wish there were more games to play where you could explore....

:'( :'( :'(

Offline Leng

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
  • !?!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2005, 10:37:51 am »
There are the old "space program" games like Star Control 2 or Millenium, but they generally have flaws.  Millenium and it's sequel were micromanagement hell while SC2 had arcadey fight sequences that really didn't work with the rest of the game.

There's also Morrowind, though you tend to die a lot...
I have been told
not by one but two of my lovers
that I've got a heart of gold
but I'm unable to share it with others
They call me a poet who'll never have a poem
a tiger with no taste for bone
I'm the wonderful wonderful wizard who's waltzing alone

Offline Beomoose

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Serpents
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2005, 11:20:07 am »
About the only thin Earth and Beyond had going for it was the visuals, so occasionally I'd spend as much as a couple hours in a fast ship just wandering around, seeing the sights.

The newer flight sims are pretty good for exploration, one of the Microsoft Flight Sim devs is in my guild and he keeps telling me about all the detail they put into the environment in each generation.
With Your Shield, Or On it.

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
  • Now for some real user power...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2005, 12:23:51 pm »
In my RPG gaming days I had been building up a small galaxy (kind of what Spore will be like). I basically dragged outthe dice and the GURPS space book and developed the systems. Once I was done I wandered off to the next. I still draw one up every now and then.

There is nothing like this... yet.

Now if you couple cross The Sims Online with Freespace... there would be your exploring game.

Offline Lord Janos

• Wizardry Whiz
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2005, 12:30:29 pm »
Now if you couple cross The Sims Online with Freespace... there would be your exploring game.

Or make an MMORPG which isn't centred around combat, has a huge world (if anybody says Roma Victor, then don't - the gameplay, design, and graphics are terrible in that game), and some pretty graphics (nothing too taxing on a system, just make them look respectable).  I don't know what the rest of the game would be like, but yeah, just a thought.

Offline Deep Lee

• Omega Racer
    • View Profile
    • DeepLee.com
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2005, 12:38:54 pm »
I actually busted out the legos for the first time in years. I'm just looking for a game that will be completely unique to me, and doesn't just seem like an interactive linear story. I would try the Sims 2, but it just seems like too much toilet training, and not enough actual interaction. I'm definitely going to get San Andreas when the Original version goes down in price, I did play through it on a friends PS2. Sometimes I just feel like taking a walk or going for a drive, where I can see something I havn't seen before, and maybe do something I havn't yet done, without being in the "tunnel" of a linear path. I remember flying around in Pilotwings 64 looking at everything close up trying to find little easter eggs.

Offline LadyM

• Mortal Kombat Konqueror
  • I'm not confused anymore
    • View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2005, 02:59:14 pm »
My personal favorites are the Sims2 and Animal Crossing for the Gamecube. But that might not appeal to you. I haven't tried San Andeas yet.

Offline Deep Lee

• Omega Racer
    • View Profile
    • DeepLee.com
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2005, 03:07:41 pm »
I just played the freelancer demo and liked it so I ordered the full game. thanks for the suggestions. Anyone else please tell me what game they like to explore in.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2005, 11:21:18 pm by deeplee »

Offline Tr0n

• Dragster Diehard
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2005, 03:24:52 pm »
There is a free game online that is ALL about exploration.  The visuals are dated, to say the least, but Noctis IV at http://anywhere.i.am is a virtual galaxy with thousands upon thousands of stars.  In it's hayday, users would utilize it's rather complex computer system to name stars and planets.  Pretty much everything in there was randomly generated and lots of it.  To this day, you can find new stars all over the place.  You pretty much just click on a star and your primitive spacecraft warps right to it.  You must refuel your ship annd any planet that can be walked on will be available for you to explore.

Here's what not to expect:
Mind blowing gfx.... they're VGA.
Interaction.... you can find the occasional lifeform on a planet, but there is no interaction and no other ships flying around
Sound.... literally almost no sound at all, though it's beneficial to put on your favorite relaxation CD and explore
Star Trek like spatial anomalies, etc.... crazy systems and stars here or there.... there are gems but for every gem, there's a hundred normal systems, which is simultaneously the biggest strength and weakness.  If you like searching through the thousands of systems to find that one amazing one and name it after you, that's wonderful.  There are files you can download that have others' names for stars and some good descriptions (consider it a tour guide), but you still have a huge task if you wish to explore everything.

Either way, it's free and easy to play (even relaxing) once you learn it, but you must have a strong spirit for exploration, because the gfx, sound, and effects will not hold even the average gamer.
Hey love crusader, I want to be your space invader
For you I will descend the deepest moon crater
I is more stronger than Darth Vapour
Obey me, I is your new dictator

Offline Cobra

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2005, 01:08:45 am »
The link to that game didn't work.

Offline Amberfox