Author Topic: Lakota Indians Declare Independence  (Read 5575 times)

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
Lakota Indians Declare Independence
« on: December 20, 2007, 12:57:18 am »
I stumbled across this report a second ago. I'm having trouble finding stories on it elsewhere, but a press release on their website appears to confirm it.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,317548,00.html

Here's the Press Release.

Free Again! Lakota Sioux Make History in Withdrawl From U.S. Treaties

First Nation Travels to Washington D.C., Will Unilaterally Withdrawal from All Treaties with the United States Government

U.S., International Treaty Law Indicate Historic Land Range Returns to Sovereign Lakota People

SUMMARY: For far too long our people have suffered at the hands of the colonial apartheid system imposed on the Lakota Sioux. Our treaties with the United States government are nothing more than worthless words on worthless paper repeatedly violated in order to steal our culture, our land and our ability to maintain our way of life.

# The devastation this has wrought is clear: Lakota men have a life expectancy of less than 44 years, lowest of any country in the World (excluding AIDS) including Haiti.
# The Lakota infant mortality rate is 5x the U.S. Average.
# The Tuberculosis rate on Lakota reservations is approx 800% higher than the U.S national average.
# 97% of our Lakota people live below the poverty line.
# Unemployment rates on our reservations are approximately 85%.
# Teenage suicide rate is 150% higher than the U.S national average for this group.
# Our Lakota language is an Endangered Language, on the verge of extinction.

We have no choice but to take this historic action to protect our people and our way of life, and reclaim our freedom from the colonial systems of the United States Government. So we travel to Washington D.C. to withdraw from our treaties with the United States and announce full return of our sovereign status under Article 6 of the U.S. Constitution, International and Natural Law.

Sourced from http://www.lakotafreedom.com/

Offline SBD

• Duck Hunter
  • It stands for Ship-Borne Dive bomber, people.
    • View Profile
Re: Lakota Indians Declare Independence
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2007, 01:04:21 am »
 :o

So, does this mean we may have an independant nation within the US?

Edit: Nothing on Wikipedia yet, And that fox article is the only one I could find also, so I'm gonna wait and see what happens.

EDIT EDIT: found this:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20071220/ts_afp/usindigenoustreatywithdraw_071220061635
« Last Edit: December 20, 2007, 01:15:54 am by SBD »

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2007, 01:30:39 am »
This probably won't go anywhere... both sides are too stubborn to back down or make concessions.

I'd bet it just gets ignored.

Offline Interitus

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • You just blipped on my radar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2007, 01:32:52 am »
This probably won't go anywhere... both sides are too stubborn to back down or make concessions.

I'd bet it just gets ignored.

I wouldn't say that. That's quite a claim, and probably has more legal ground then claiming an oil rig as an independent nation.  If anything comes out of it is yet to be seen, at the very least though I hope better measures are taken for their problems.
My karma ran over your dogma

Offline Hammerman58

• Q*Bert Qrazy
  • Thor carrier of the mightiest hammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2007, 02:16:10 am »
 Well knowing how history repeats itself I believe if anything comes out of it and the Lakota do something. The U.S will do what it did before by taking their land a raping their woman.

Then theres the possibility that they might get their own territory where their still part of the U.S. That has a lot more control over the land. Sort of like Puerto Rico.

Another side note: The U.S wouldn't want to inspire and separatist groups so they might just stick it too them.

Anyone know of any articles where it talks about some North Eastern towns wanting independence and where Quebec wants theirs.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2007, 02:19:16 am by killerboy85 »
STOP HAMMERTIME 
PSN Names YaY I got a thread stickied.

Offline Plank of Wood

• Final Fighter
  • Ka-Boom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2007, 02:26:11 am »
The thing is, everything they say is true. When you think of an American, I promise you that you will not think of a native.

We have the same thing here in England, how many people here have a decent amount of Gaelic or Celtic Blood?

I say, good for the Lakotas, they never chose to be anexed in such a way.

On a related note, I saw a Lakota dude playing some native music the other day, with loads of stuff promoting the campaign.
the real saviour of this forum

Offline SBD

• Duck Hunter
  • It stands for Ship-Borne Dive bomber, people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2007, 02:40:50 am »
Well this is odd. Wikipedia doesn't have anything, and there hasn't been any little news flashes on TV. What about TV in the US?

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2007, 03:55:17 am »
AT the risk of sounding unpopular. How exactly is it the fault of the US government that the Lakota have such low life expectancies and high incidences of TB and such. Although I don't know the full story, I'll wager it may be something to do with them desperately clinging to outmoded ways of life and refusing to accept the influence of modernity no matter what the cost.
Imagine if all the inhabitants of... oh, say, New York, decided they were fed up with having their 'ancient culture' destroyed and went back to living in thatched houses with walls made of wattle and crap, and farming turnips, and paying fealty to some fat local lord.

Things move on, it isn't sacrificing your heritage if you get a desk job and live in a condo with air conditioning, its just common sense.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Luminar

• Gyromite Gyro
  • i'm losin' it
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2007, 05:30:29 am »
I can certainly see your point. Though I suppose some just prefer to live in a rustic and uncomplicated fashion. Be honest now, life in this society is a lot more complicated and involved - there's a ton more stuff to worry about. Some just want to keep themselves free of all that, can't say I blame them. Though it's also tradition - it's like telling.. ooh, I dunno, radical islamic terrorists that blowing themselves up is silly and they aren't endearing themselves to anyone through it, and it just doesn't make any sense. They won't listen, they'll probably just shoot you for even suggesting it. Tradition tends to be upheld by those who are devoted to seeing them stick around, so they tend not to go anywhere.

Offline Doctor Z

• Space Harrier
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2007, 05:37:04 am »
Besides, I see a flaw in your logic. The Amish do basically what you said about New York, and they arn't diseased, suicidal homeless people. Sure, they have generations of knowledge to back them up, but so do the Lakotas.

Offline Blarg

• Krull Slayer
  • HE'S BACK IN BLACK
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2007, 06:29:19 am »
The thing is, everything they say is true. When you think of an American, I promise you that you will not think of a native.

I say, good for the Lakotas, they never chose to be anexed in such a way.

Same. Aside from that, I really hate how our history books usually say that each group of Native American was a tribe, when in fact, they each considered themself a seperate nation. Each nation had very different culture and government, as different as any European culture ever brought to life. So, I say, good job Laktoas!

Better to live like there was a God, then die and find out there isn't than to live like there wasn't a God then die and find out there is.

Christianity is a relationship, not a religion.

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
  • Life is worth much more than gold
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2007, 06:44:31 am »
Besides, I see a flaw in your logic. The Amish do basically what you said about New York, and they arn't diseased, suicidal homeless people. Sure, they have generations of knowledge to back them up, but so do the Lakotas.

Yeah but the Amish are a lot more spread out.

Quote from: /lurk
PALM: Oh face, come closer. I've needed your touch since I heard that fundamentalist Christians were being stupid again.
FACE: Not again! Quickly Palm, come to me!

Offline Brandonazz

• Baseball SuperStar
  • Hoc etiam transibit
    • View Profile
    • My Internet Treasure Trove
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2007, 07:44:45 am »
The micronationalist in me is screaming for an off-color speck in the US.

The practical guy in me knows it isn't going to happen.

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2007, 07:57:36 am »
How will doing that fix their problems? How can they expect to build enough hospitals/schools/workplaces to accomplish anything when, on their own, they constitute one of the suckiest countries on Earth? Or is it their intention to form an indepedant nation that continues to suck like it did - or worse than -  when it was U.S. territory?

Although, to be honest, this is going to accomplish all of absolutely nothing. Maybe the publicity stunt will highlight the plight of the Lakota people - but if they actually got what they seem to want, they'd be The Country With the Lowest Life Expectancy On Earth. Well done!
Not a winner anymore.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2007, 09:02:47 am »

Well, I wouldn't so so sure about that. Firstly, the Amish are pretty secretive, so its not like theres even data regarding their life expectancies and the prevalence of diseases, but I'm willing to bet their life expectancies are below the norm for the most part. Secondly the Amish are holding onto an agricultural lifestyle which is only about a century or two out of date.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.