0 (0%)
Average!
1 (7.7%)
Bad!
1 (7.7%)
Lol, I'd rather not!
11 (84.6%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Author Topic: (**The Final Theory**) and other reads like it  (Read 14422 times)

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
    • KOSMOSIS CHRONICLES dA Page
(**The Final Theory**) and other reads like it
« on: December 18, 2007, 10:04:14 pm »
"The Final Theory: Rethinking Our Scientific Legacy" is a book that shows the many flaws that our current scientific community has, unfortunately, included into their theories. It is a really interesting book, even though I haven't read it yet ( I don't have a credit card account <.< ). Even the preview was interesting.

The book deals with problems like How can a fridge magnet cling against gravity endlessly without draining a power source?, How can freezing water expand, even bursting metal pipes, with no energy input to explain it?, How do heavy objects rest on a table without its molecules giving way, collapsing the table?, Science says protons are positively charged and tightly clustered in the nucleus, but like- charges would strongly repel in such close proximity. Why doesn’t the nucleus fly apart?, and many more.

The guys at the community have to know about this. :) It could really change our view of Physics, if it's right.

It's a P.O.D. book so they don't mass produce it, consequently making it impossible to get in a bookstore. :-\

Here's the book guys. If the link I made is not allowed in GS, please notify me so I could remove it. Thanks :)

Comments would be well appreciated.  :)
« Last Edit: December 24, 2007, 06:39:55 pm by Yuu »

Offline Glacies

• Tempest Top Dog
    • View Profile
Re: (**The Final Theory**)
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2007, 10:08:19 pm »
My Dad would love this. Is it possible to order it?

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2007, 10:14:47 pm »
Actually, that preview sounds horrible. I can name the answers to at least three of those "problems", and I'm not even reading Physics at Uni. It just seems like someone trying to cash in on people who can't get their heads around hard science with sensationalism and sophistry.

Not to mention P.O.D. means "we couldn't interest a real publisher". The so-called professional reviews are laughable.

I would like to read it, but there's no way I'm paying for something that sounds like it's a load of crap.

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2007, 08:14:38 am »
Same here. The fact that they're publishing it like this and not, say, submitting it to a peer-reviewed journal is pretty much a giveaway that it's crap from an ass. Actually, the fact that the answers to some of those questions are taught in high school is probably a bit more of a giveaway.

Some sort of facepalm related funny about scientific illiteracy would be appropriate here, so let's just pretend that I made one.
Not a winner anymore.

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
  • Life is worth much more than gold
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2007, 10:40:21 am »
PALM: Oh face, come closer. I've needed your touch since I heard that fundamentalist Christians people who have no idea of how science works were being stupid again.
FACE: Not again! Quickly Palm, come to me!

Face and Palm meet with an audible collision, silhouetted by the light of the computer screen. Curtain falls.

There I did it for you Mr. /lurk.

Quote from: /lurk
PALM: Oh face, come closer. I've needed your touch since I heard that fundamentalist Christians were being stupid again.

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2007, 12:35:16 pm »
My good AN, I can hardly use the same one twice.

What kind of reputation would I have then?
Not a winner anymore.

Offline Tesla

• Street Fighter Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2007, 01:18:40 pm »
What the hell? Even I can explain the one about expanding ice.
No way dude, you're trolling me.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2007, 01:19:56 pm »
Quote from: That book thingy
How can a fridge magnet cling against gravity endlessly without draining a power source?,

How can the Earth pull against a clinging fridge magnet indefinitely without draining a power source? :P
More to the point, perhaps the authors of the book aren't familiar with the scientific concept of 'work done'.

This whole thing reeks of quackery and charlatanism.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
  • Life is worth much more than gold
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2007, 01:41:42 pm »
My good AN, I can hardly use the same one twice.

What kind of reputation would I have then?

I am sorry master. I am going back into my hole now.

Quote from: /lurk
PALM: Oh face, come closer. I've needed your touch since I heard that fundamentalist Christians were being stupid again.

Offline stuck

• Robotron Automaton
  • Who is John Galt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2007, 02:59:19 pm »
"The Final Theory: Rethinking Our Scientific Legacy" is a book that shows the many flaws that our current scientific community has, unfortunately, included into their theories. It is a really interesting book, even though I haven't read it yet ( I don't have a credit card account <.< ). Even the preview was interesting.

The book deals with problems like How can a fridge magnet cling against gravity endlessly without draining a power source?, How can freezing water expand, even bursting metal pipes, with no energy input to explain it?, How do heavy objects rest on a table without its molecules giving way, collapsing the table?, Science says protons are positively charged and tightly clustered in the nucleus, but like- charges would strongly repel in such close proximity. Why doesn’t the nucleus fly apart?, and many more.

The guys at the community have to know about this. :) It could really change our view of Physics, if it's right.

It's a P.O.D. book so they don't mass produce it, consequently making it impossible to get in a bookstore. :-\

Here's the book guys. If the link I made is not allowed in GS, please notify me so I could remove it. Thanks :)

Comments would be well appreciated.  :)

Let's take a vote. Who wants me (with others likely to chime in) to dismantle those "unexplained" ideas? Honestly, this thing seems like a ploy to take advantage of unsuspecting people walking down the aisle. Sure, if you have only a high school knowledge of physics, you'll likely fall in the trap. But simple relativity and quantum mechanics (and I mean simple) explain it all away. Sounds like those vitamins (called "Airplane" or something) that boast they were "made by a second grade teacher!"

"What's this honey? Oh My God, we can't explain magnets!? I have to learn more than those ignorant atheistic scientists! I knew they were wrong!"

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2007, 02:01:55 am »
PALM: Oh face, come closer. I've needed your touch since I heard that fundamentalist Christians people who have no idea of how science works were being stupid again.

Face and Palm meet with an audible collision, silhouetted by the light of the computer screen. Curtain falls.

:D :D :D :D Guess why I'm lolzing.

Offline Mr. Wizard

• Karate Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2007, 03:51:44 am »
Science says protons are positively charged and tightly clustered in the nucleus, but like- charges would strongly repel in such close proximity. Why doesn’t the nucleus fly apart?

I did a facepalm!  >:(

I learned why water expands in sixth grade. Its not even highschool level! Its "Saturday Morning Cartoon Edutainment" level!

Don't buy it for any reason. The first chapter is available on the website. That should provide ample evidence of... "crackpottery."

EDIT: This has got to be a hoax, there is no way anyone who went majored in Physics could believe all that, unless he grossly misinterpreted what his professors were saying or is so full of himself that he... I cant think of anything to finish that thought. That he wants to be given the nobel prize in crackpottery? That he is a gold medalist in the Crackpot olympics?

The fact that I am seeing comedy ads targeted toward 18-24 year olds leads me to believe its a hoax. They know who will go to that type of website. :P
« Last Edit: December 21, 2007, 04:21:36 am by Mr. Wizard »

Offline Glacies

• Tempest Top Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2007, 03:43:19 pm »
*See first post*

For the lulz, of course.

Offline Blarg

• Krull Slayer
  • HE'S BACK IN BLACK
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2007, 04:47:10 pm »
I weep for the World's future. This? This is...

There are no words in the English language to quickly summarize the horror I feel when hearing all those things.  :'(

Better to live like there was a God, then die and find out there isn't than to live like there wasn't a God then die and find out there is.

Christianity is a relationship, not a religion.

Offline GCool

• Robotron Automaton
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2007, 05:12:51 pm »
I acctually want to read this book. Sounds like a laugh. Even I can explain at least 2 of those "examples" off the top of my head, even having dropped physics and chemestry 2 years ago, and could quite happily theorise several explinations for the others based off my understanding of physics.

Might have to buy it for my teachers. I'l add it to my leaving gift list.

Oh, and also, i'm sure the majority of people here will appreciate this site;
http://www.evolutionisimpossible.com/

It's quite a fun read. Not meant to be though, I suppose. I'm pretty sure I could offer pretty sure-footed explinations to most of the things that make evolution 'impossible' (although, granted, one or two require a minimal belief in re-occouring universes or, for adventurous minds, multiverses)

*sigh* I do fear the way the world seems to be heading. I can only believe that humans are going to go through a seahorse style evolution in the next few melenia, and one or two of species it could create could be quite a scary prospect...

Offline Mr. Wizard

• Karate Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2007, 09:19:43 pm »
Oh, and also, i'm sure the majority of people here will appreciate this site;
http://www.evolutionisimpossible.com/

*foreheadpunch!*

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2007, 05:29:29 am »
Face! Palm! Face! Palm! Face!Palm!Face!palm!face!palm!Facepalmfacepalm!FAAAAAAAAAAAACEPAAAAAAAAAALM!

Worst threesome ever.

Admittedly, I thought it was cute the way they took quotes from actual scientists out of context to make themselves look respectable less stupid.
Not a winner anymore.

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
Re: (**The Final Theory**) and other reads like it
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2007, 06:39:08 pm »
Isn't reoccurring universes religious, in the sense that it has no physical evidence and requires faith, and therefore is a disqualified explanation? ??? If it is used in a theory, isn't it that one must replace it if the theory wants to survive the validity test? Anyone know of any proof other than the multiverse hypothesis? I can't find any. If anyone has, please post. thanks.

gec05

« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2007, 08:34:08 pm »
You people confuse yourselves too much. Why even bother with this? Why should it matter? WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE ANYWAYS!!!

*ahem* Sorry. :-[

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2007, 12:33:14 am »
Isn't reoccurring universes religious, in the sense that it has no physical evidence and requires faith, and therefore is a disqualified explanation? ??? If it is used in a theory, isn't it that one must replace it if the theory wants to survive the validity test? Anyone know of any proof other than the multiverse hypothesis? I can't find any. If anyone has, please post. thanks.

"Religious" in your usage of the term is misleading; you can draw the analogy but it isn't religious in the standard sense.

If you follow Flew's application of the falsification principle, then it might be tempting to describe a reoccurring universe as unfalsifiable and therefore nonsensical. However, it's certainly possible that this phenomenon could be described mathematically as a result of what we know of the physical laws of the universe. Alternatively, Swinburne argues that it could still make perfect sense to an objective observer. What we would consider to be nonsensical because you cannot falsify it may nevertheless still exist, but simply have no relevance for us.

And you're probably on the wrong track anyway. It's more than likely possible to solve the problems without invoking these unverifiable principles regardless (I'll leave this as an exercise for the actual physicists in the thread).

Offline stuck

• Robotron Automaton
  • Who is John Galt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2007, 03:28:36 pm »

The multiverse theory and the observer-dependent theory are the two basic interpretations for quantum mechanics. They are known as Everettan and Copenhagen interpretations, respectively. They are both, so far, equally correct in predicting quantum phenomena, though they rely on different ways to explain quantum wave functions. The mathematics behind the interpretations is different, but a prediction in MWI should be explainable in Copenhagen. The way they describe quantum happenenings in relation to the observer also changes the way they are percieved, but I think that they are falsifiable. If we somehow branch into another universe, I believe that the Copenhagen interpretation would have a hard time explaining it.

That was kind of beating around the bush, but the multiverse has evidence. We do see its effects in quantum mechanics, just as we see Copenhagen's effects. It has a mathematical foundation, just as Copenhagen does. There are a few axioms that every theory needs, and MWI has more basic axioms than other interpretations, which leads partly to its prevalence. The only thing we need is evidence that can distinguish it from Copenhagen. That is entirely possible.

As for the last sentence, you want proof of what, again?

Admittedly, I thought it was cute the way they took quotes from actual scientists out of context to make themselves look respectable less stupid.
I though it was cuter they "refuted" an argument e-mailed to them (concerning Earth as a thermodynamic open state) while completely neglecting more rigourous thermodynamic arguments, which must have been sent.

Offline Glacies

• Tempest Top Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2007, 09:22:39 am »
What makes them sure we've stopped evolving?  :-\

Offline sltlamina

• Sinistar Worker
  • Readin this? You just wasted a second of your life
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2007, 01:24:02 pm »
What makes them sure we've stopped evolving?  :-\

We practically have now, from now on any changes will all be selective. If the majority finds mutation A more aesthetically pleasing that mutation B (A being... nicer eyes or some crap, B being more arms or something) then the B's (or, air quotes, freaks) will die out.

We like out ice-cream cold and our people with 2 eyes, 2 ears, 2 arms, 2 breasts, 2 kidneys, 2 ovaries, 2 testis and 2 legs.

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2007, 02:34:54 am »
Actually a lot of recent studies have suggested that human evolution is progressing increasingly fast, not slowing or stopped.

Offline sltlamina

• Sinistar Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2007, 03:25:58 am »
Well until I see any major changes I'll stand by not much is happening.

If this is supposed to be accurate then they've neglected to remember that the strong nuclear force exists, Jesus Christ, these people are dumb.

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2007, 03:45:40 am »

EVOLUTION DOES NOT WORK THAT WAY

Offline sltlamina

• Sinistar Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2007, 06:20:07 am »

It does in long run!

Offline Brandonazz

• Baseball SuperStar
  • Hoc etiam transibit
    • View Profile
    • My Internet Treasure Trove
« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2007, 11:58:22 am »

[Morbo]

It does in long run!

You don't live in the long run.

And I'm increasingly doubting you even live in the same reality as the rest of us.

Offline Blarg

• Krull Slayer
  • HE'S BACK IN BLACK
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2007, 12:53:03 pm »
Why is this thread still alive? The people who made the book were idiots, end of story.

Better to live like there was a God, then die and find out there isn't than to live like there wasn't a God then die and find out there is.

Christianity is a relationship, not a religion.

Offline sltlamina

• Sinistar Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2007, 08:12:16 pm »
Why is this thread still alive? The people who made the book were idiots, end of story.

Because the idiots are still selling it and there's still advertisement for it, that's why.