Author Topic: Dragons: A Fantasy Made Real  (Read 6448 times)

Offline Eagle13

• Brain Games Mastermind
  • Reality is an artificial construct
    • View Profile
Dragons: A Fantasy Made Real
« on: March 20, 2005, 03:51:00 pm »
Animal Planet well be airing a special called, Dragons: A Fantasy Made Real tonight at 5:00 tonight. As you can most likey see from my avatar, I am a HUGE dragon fan, and was quite amazed when this special showed up.

We create reality, reality does not create us. Thus is the question, if we stop beleving in reality, then what are our limitations on pursuing our dreams?

Offline The Evil Blob

• Missile Commander
  • "Enchanted creature gets +8/+8 and has Trample"
    • View Profile
Re: Dragons: A Fantasy Made Real
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2005, 03:58:06 pm »
Oh, yeah. Thank you for reminding me about that.
Why do you park on a driveway and drive on a parkway?

Offline Scipion

• Stargate Superstar
  • Returned from the grave, now with more immunities!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2005, 06:37:47 am »
How was that, I didn't get a chance to see it?
-Just like Gaming Steve all of my ideas, suggestions, and comments are merely edjucated guesses. These are based on prior experience and current released info.-

Offline Gaming Steve

• Master Chief
  • Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Steve
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2005, 09:26:42 am »
How was that, I didn't get a chance to see it?

I thought it was pretty good. The only part that I didn't like was the last 30 minutes where they had a little "making of the show" part. I really hate it when they add this onto the end, it takes you out of the show. Otherwise it was good, very well done and they thought everything through (like how do they breath fire).
Check out Gaming Steve on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/thegamingsteve

Offline Lord Janos

• Wizardry Whiz
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2005, 11:24:35 am »
How DO they breathe fire?  I didn't actually get to catch it... what actually made them dragons?  Can someone give me the lowdown because i really wanted to see it...

Offline Eagle13

• Brain Games Mastermind
  • Reality is an artificial construct
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2005, 01:45:19 pm »
It was farily intresting. From what they said, bacteria in the stomach creates hydrogen as it digests meat. This hydrogen gas is redirected to two baloon like sacks that are stored along side the lungs. This with a honeycomed bone structure, akin to a birds bone structure, allowed flight. These same two sacks were also used to produce fire. The dragon would mine platnium and digest it. When mixed with the hydrogen, it would produce a viable flame.

I thought it was very well done. While I agree that the "making of" was a little annoying, I though the overall special was great.   
We create reality, reality does not create us. Thus is the question, if we stop beleving in reality, then what are our limitations on pursuing our dreams?

Offline Tarious

• Adventure Ace
  • FINISH HIM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2005, 06:34:57 pm »
I watched it all 3 times it was showed. Well 2 and a half. I went to sleep halway through the 3rd time.

Was a good show in my opinion.

Offline Zealousy

• Wizard of Wor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2005, 01:27:09 am »
It was good all around. For those who didn't see it the show was all about portraying dragons as believable animals, and followed them through an evolutionary timeline which, coincidentally, made sure to take into account the myths different ethnic groups have about dragons ;D.

I think the best part was the beginning, during the Cretaceous. period. It just seemed like it was especially well done.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2005, 07:15:00 pm by Zealousy »
I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather ... Not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car.
- Will Shriner

Offline Pestlett

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2005, 09:19:24 am »
 Does anyone know if this is has been or is to be aired on British TV?

Offline Varsity

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2005, 10:07:36 pm »
I liked it because of the graphics.   I didn't really get into all the what if's...  Like them having the frozen dragon being analyzed by what looks like a few very unprofessional people, if a discovery like that were made, they'd have the top scientists, controlled lab experiments, etc.

The part where they mined the platinum to use it as a catalyst... That seemed a little farfetched to me...

I liked the behind the scenes part... Well, this coming from a kid who watches a movie, then watches it again with the commentary on.
XYZZY!

Offline WeltallZero

• Fire Truck Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2005, 01:51:15 am »
It was farily intresting. From what they said, bacteria in the stomach creates hydrogen as it digests meat. This hydrogen gas is redirected to two baloon like sacks that are stored along side the lungs. This with a honeycomed bone structure, akin to a birds bone structure, allowed flight. These same two sacks were also used to produce fire. The dragon would mine platnium and digest it. When mixed with the hydrogen, it would produce a viable flame.

Heh, that sonds a lot like the explanation given in that 1986 animated movie, "Flight of Dragons". In there, dragons would eat limestone, grinding it with jewels in their crop, which would turn into hydrogen (if I'm remembering correctly) on contact with stomach acids. That was stored, indeed, in a honeycomb-like bone structure, itself divided into compartments, which could be filled or contracted to give dragons a "blimp-like" flight capacity (they did look quite rounded when they flew ^_^;). Then, they had this sort of small electricity-generating organ (much like eels, I'd guess) in their palates, which generated the spark needed to ignite hydrogen as they spewed it.

Cool movie BTW, a recommended watch by all means.

Offline Zealousy

• Wizard of Wor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2005, 12:59:56 pm »
I agree Varsity, I did think a lot of the 'research' scenes looked kind of corny. Then again, I still enjoyed the ideas they represented. :P
I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather ... Not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car.
- Will Shriner

Offline Greyleaf

• Boot Hill Bandit
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2005, 06:16:05 pm »
I wish I oculdd have seen it, but we don't have any kind of cable. I like the hydrogen explanation, but I think the electric-eal comparison sounds much more real then mining platinum.
98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature.