Author Topic: Game of the Year  (Read 6173 times)

Offline Interitus

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • You just blipped on my radar
    • View Profile
Re: Game of the Year
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2007, 01:36:08 pm »
With that being said, my vote for game of the year is orange box.

But that isn't a game, that is two games and an expansion that just came in one box. You have to consider each game seperately.  Or I'll take all the best games of this year, stick them in my Sim City Societies case and declare the GOTY.

does no one remember supcom, company of heroes or c&c3?

You right, wow I forgot those came out this year, it feels like it was longer.  C&C 3 was entertaining, but I didn't like it enough for GOTY. I really didn't like Company of Heroes.. I don't know why. And I've given Chris Taylor an earful enough times on why I don't like SupCom.
My karma ran over your dogma

Offline Belial0166

• Boot Hill Bandit
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2007, 01:46:29 am »
Crysis sold 80,000 units.  I'm not exactly sure anyone will be willing to front the money for a second title in the series.

Game developers need to stop planning for trilogies.  It's arrogant to believe that your game will be well received or successful enough to warrant a second.

With that being said, my vote for game of the year is orange box.

I'm not sure that the future of the crysis ip is linked with it sales figures, lets not forget that crytek are in the business of selling their 3d engine and thats where their profits are going to come from, and in that respect Cysis has done its job, it kept crytek in the spotlight throughout its development and showcased the features of the engine. If sales of the engine are good then it makes sense to continue the crysis games as they would prolong interest in the technology behind the game.

Anyway having said that i have to say that crysis is my game of the year. I normally play roleplays more than fps games and so would normally have picked oblivion, however crysis is the first fps since undying that has had me totally engrossed. it is spectacular, and despite the less than perfect AI it is both enjoyable and challenging.

Offline Racingfreak92

• Brain Games Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2007, 06:44:16 pm »
Its hard to pick GOTY, if im counting PC only then Portal, TF2, Crysis, World In Conflict, COH: Opposing Front, and a coupe other are nominees. If its all systems, then... then the list is to long :)

Offline Gungnir

• SunDog Pilot
  • Bbrrrraaaaaiiiiinnnnssss
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2007, 04:31:16 pm »
Crysis was..ok in my opinion. It was insanely hard at some places though.

Offline Veraal

• Zelda Zealot
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2007, 02:58:10 pm »
I'd go for Dwarf Fortress.

Offline Celdur

• R-Type Force Pod
  • :33
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2007, 03:10:01 pm »
DF wasnt released this year  ::)

Quote from: Krakow sam
That quote is actualy very witty, Celdur. I suggest you use that in your signature.

Offline Poised

• Rigel Rescuer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2007, 04:42:15 am »
My personal GOTY would have to go to viva pinata, its a 2007 PC release, but was released in 2006 on the box, so its prolly not eligible, but it was so fresh and different, and its just such a nice relaxed pace of game comparred to everything else out there, where you must kill 50 things per minute or bust, VP took me completely by surprise :)

Offline Dartje

• Space Invaders Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2008, 07:36:56 am »
my personaly GOTY for 2008:

Mass Effect (PC)

Yes you read it right i sincerly think bioware will release it for PC in 2008! No doubt about it!

And my GOTY for 2007 would be:

Tabula Rasa!

Offline Celdur

• R-Type Force Pod
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2008, 08:03:28 am »

Mass Effect (PC)

Yes you read it right i sincerly think bioware will release it for PC in 2008! No doubt about it!

Tabula Rasa!

so not spore or anything like that?

That quote is actualy very witty, Celdur. I suggest you use that in your signature.

Offline Dartje

• Space Invaders Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2008, 08:10:50 am »

Mass Effect (PC)

Tabula Rasa!

While spore will be good and all in the end it will prolly be the same thing all over again (another spider bipedal with his tongue as hand ?) and the same procederly generated planet and universe. All the basic blocks are the same so in the end it will be boring.

Mass Effect on the other hand has a story, has something to tell. It's like a good book that you write yourself! I love that more then anything else.

Offline Celdur

• R-Type Force Pod
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2008, 08:13:31 am »

Mass Effect (PC)

Tabula Rasa!

While spore will be good and all in the end it will prolly be the same thing all over again (another spider bipedal with his tongue as hand ?) and the same procederly generated planet and universe. All the basic blocks are the same so in the end it will be boring.

Mass Effect on the other hand has a story, has something to tell. It's like a good book that you write yourself! I love that more then anything else.

then go buy the witcher  ;)

Offline Dartje

• Space Invaders Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2008, 08:14:59 am »

Mass Effect (PC)

Tabula Rasa!

then go buy the witcher  ;)
You're right i should :D But atm im playing Tabula Rasa too much (and the empires 2.0 mod for HL2 after that! I have in the past 7 days played 37 hours of Tabula Rasa and 40 hours of empires 2.0)

Offline Didero

• Turkey Shoot Terminator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2008, 08:18:09 am »

I think a game that doesn't have a story, like Spore, doesn't get boring nearly as fast as a game that does have a story, since a game with story will be the same every time you play it. Multiple endings might postpone the boredom somewhat, but not much. If there isn't any story, like in Spore or The Sims, you can tell your own stories, of which there is a near infinite amount. But to each their own, I guess. :)

Offline stuck

• Robotron Automaton
  • Who is John Galt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2008, 08:18:24 am »

It's like a good book that you write yourself! I love that more then anything else.

Are you talking about Spore or Mass Effect?

Offline Dartje

• Space Invaders Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2008, 08:23:31 am »

It's like a good book that you write yourself! I love that more then anything else.

Are you talking about Spore or Mass Effect?
Mass Effect :)

And to the other poster above: I'm a good visualizer but a bad story teller, so closed looped story games are better for me (or books) :)