Author Topic: Game of the Year  (Read 6076 times)

Offline Gungnir

• SunDog Pilot
  • Bbrrrraaaaaiiiiinnnnssss
    • View Profile
Game of the Year
« on: December 17, 2007, 06:14:55 pm »
Well, I was watching Xplay's game of the year thing, which was pretty good. CoD4 won a few awards, Halo 3 got none (I think), Bioshock won game of the year though.

Anyway, what were/are your expectations for the game of the year? I was expecting CoD4 to win or Portal.

Oh, i dunno what other sites/shows might have done as their game of the year, so, if anyone has that info, that'd be great.

Offline Behumat

• Joust Warrior
  • Coruscant committee to fight urban sprawl
    • View Profile
Re: Game of the Year
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2007, 07:35:07 pm »
Stupid cats unplugged my directv box on the second to last award. So I got to see who won best game, but missed ....best story? Whatever was before that. But yea, I can see bioshock getting best game, and I've never even played it.

Offline Interitus

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • You just blipped on my radar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2007, 12:02:42 am »
I don't think I could see portal getting a GOTY. Don't get me wrong, it's addictive and amazing. But it's very short, and even the idea of the portals isn't even original. Prey had them first.  It's a well built game, but a game you can finish in two hours and that's exploring every aspect of the game, isn't worth a GOTY.

Bioshock is a sure winner, as of right now I can't think of anything else that can compete with it.  Crysis perhaps, but it probably arrived too late to be counted.
My karma ran over your dogma

Offline Celdur

• R-Type Force Pod
  • :33
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2007, 01:30:35 am »
erm...is this game of the year or FPS of the year?

Quote from: Krakow sam
That quote is actualy very witty, Celdur. I suggest you use that in your signature.

Offline DarkDragon

• Final Fantasy Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2007, 04:46:22 am »
Portal was the perfect length for a game to be enjoyed and not get boring. But TF2 gets my personal GOTY award :D
DarkDragon's Minecraft Survival Server (use this as the IP):

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

- The server uses a whitelist, if you're not on the whitelist (can't connect), PM me your minecraft name.

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2007, 05:35:06 am »
erm...is this game of the year or FPS of the year?

#1 PC game? What else came out on PC this year?
Not a winner anymore.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2007, 05:57:25 am »
Bioshock is a sure winner, as of right now I can't think of anything else that can compete with it.  Crysis perhaps, but it probably arrived too late to be counted.

From what I've seen of Crysis it isn't worthy.
Yes, the graphics are fantastic, but I really preferred the more stylized and atmospheric visuals of Bioshock to the rather bland ultra-realism of Crysis. The ending was a bit of a slap in the face too... it just... ends. (Not to say the ending of Bioshock didn't suck).

I'd also agree that Portal was fantastic, but it really is far too short to be Game of the Year. Maybe when the sequel rolls around :D
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Celdur

• R-Type Force Pod
  • :33
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2007, 06:17:30 am »
does no one remember supcom, company of heroes or c&c3? or mario galaxy and mp3

i am now the only one who listed anything difrent than FPS`s...

Quote from: Krakow sam
That quote is actualy very witty, Celdur. I suggest you use that in your signature.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2007, 06:20:40 am »
Well, C&C 3 was alright, but nothing new. Prime three was good, but not as good as the original Prime... I suppose there is Mario Galaxy...

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2007, 06:30:31 am »
See, I was going ask why no-one had mentioned Mario Galaxy, but then I remembered that this topic was in the PC games section.
Not a winner anymore.

Offline Uroboros

• Duck Hunter
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2007, 06:33:09 am »
I'd also agree that Portal was fantastic, but it really is far too short to be Game of the Year. Maybe when the sequel rolls around :D
Portal seemed more like a game version of a sci-fi fairytale. It was short, well done, if a little dry. The main gripe is that there is so much that could have been done with Portal, but wasnt. I imagine that working in mobile NPC AI into a game using portals would be a nightmare, but still, it ended up feeling more like an extended tech-demo/minigame. Im very interested in where they'll take it from this point, though. So much potential.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2007, 07:50:48 am »
Well, HL2 ep 3 looks like it'll be taking place largely on the Borealis. So even if the Portal gun doesn't appear in that game, some other cool aspects of the game probably will, namely the cute turrets and homicidal passive-aggressive AI overseers.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2007, 08:12:16 am »
For the record, Crysis is a trilogy. Lots of people seem to have overlooked that point.

Offline Sub

• Time Pilot Trekker
  • End is tough.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2007, 11:21:58 am »
Crysis sold 80,000 units.  I'm not exactly sure anyone will be willing to front the money for a second title in the series.

Game developers need to stop planning for trilogies.  It's arrogant to believe that your game will be well received or successful enough to warrant a second.

With that being said, my vote for game of the year is orange box.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2007, 12:08:19 pm »
Half life 2 episode 1 is the first part of a trilogy too, but at least they had the decency to end the game with a climax rather than just sort of fizzling out.